Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Natalie Wood

RookiesFan Guest
    Natalie's fear of water came from a movie she made as a child. She almost drowned while trying to cross a bridge. I've read the book 'Coroner' by Thomas Noguchi and Lana Wood's book about her sister (I don't remember the name of it). In Noguchi's book, he stated that Natalie would've survived if she'd only been sober enough to remove the heavy down jacket she was wearing. Her's and William Holden's deaths were both so tragic, in that if they'd both been sober, they would've lived.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    Enjoy pics of one of the best and most beautiful actresses ever!!!
    My feelings exactly! The only other actress who is close to her equal in beauty is Denise Richards...both are the type of faces I can't stop staring at for their stunning beauty.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RookiesFan View Post
    In Noguchi's book, he stated that Natalie would've survived if she'd only been sober enough to remove the heavy down jacket she was wearing. Her's and William Holden's deaths were both so tragic, in that if they'd both been sober, they would've lived.
    Thats what makes her death even more tragic, i agree....
    Holden bled to death because he was so drunk that he thought it was only a little injury....sad.

Deat becomesher Guest
    I never knew that she was raped. I learn alot from this site.

leevancleef Guest
    RJ just about to kiss Natalie's casket.

Anybody knows which Hollywood people attended Natalie's funeral?

Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    RJ just about to kiss Natalie's casket.

Anybody knows which Hollywood people attended Natalie's funeral?
    I know that her pallbearers included GAGE KAZAN (who directed her in Splendor In The Grass), former boyfriend and by then family friend FRANK SINATRA, LAWRENCE OLIVIER who had been her co-star in the tv teleplay of Cat On A Hot Tin Roof in 1976, and actors FRED ASTAIRE, ROCK HUDSON & GREGORY PECK. The PECKS & the WAGNERS had been good friends for years.

In addition to her family, I know that others in attendance included RODDY MacDOWALL, FAYE NUELL, ASA MAYNOR, MART CROWLEY, SUGAR BATES, KATE JACKSON, SHARON GLESS, EDDIE ALBERT & SYDNEY GUILAROFF.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    I know that her pallbearers included GAGE KAZAN (who directed her in Splendor In The Grass), former boyfriend and by then family friend FRANK SINATRA, LAWRENCE OLIVIER who had been her co-star in the tv teleplay of Cat On A Hot Tin Roof in 1976, and actors FRED ASTAIRE, ROCK HUDSON & GREGORY PECK. The PECKS & the WAGNERS had been good friends for years.

In addition to her family, I know that others in attendance included RODDY MacDOWALL, FAYE NUELL, ASA MAYNOR, MART CROWLEY, SUGAR BATES, KATE JACKSON, SHARON GLESS, EDDIE ALBERT & SYDNEY GUILAROFF.
    Thats nice, thanks for the info. i didnt know that Lawrence Olivier was one of her pallbearers.... ive always wondered if Warren Beatty attended the funeral.

I read that book by Lana. She also claimed that their mom made them sleep with their arms outside the covers, so they wouldn't "explore" themselves at night! Screwy.

Ruffian Guest
    I always felt that it was just a drunken accident. She tried to tie up the dinghy because of the noise and fell in. Untying the dinghy to tighten it would free it up. Her bruising could easily be from trying to get in the dinghy.

It's not unusual for intoxicated people to argue. It's also not unusual for stars in leading roles to be infatuated with each other or stretch it out into an affair....ending when the filming ends. (I think Julia Roberts has taken it to an extreme, tho.) I also think the reason CW and RJ won't talk about it is because they probably also had some drugs involved. How bad would it be for their careers that a beloved wife, friend, co-star and screen star died because they were all messed up on drugs and alcohol? Not good.

I love CW as an actor and have only read good things about him re: his private life/friendships. I thought NW was a much better actress as a child. She was great in Miracle on 34th St. and The Ghost & Mrs. Muir. Her acting in adult years made me think of a B-list actress' talents. As far as RJ and Jill St. John go....it's also not unusual for people who once had a relationship to come together as friends after a tragedy and then have the romance turn back on. They're still together, as far as I recall, so apparently they're happy.

chopper Guest

Red face

Yes, but never publicly. Nobody in the entertainment business wants to be part of a scandal, any scandal. She would have always been thought of as "the rape victim". Like with others: When you hear of ROCK HUDSON, you think aids; hear MICHAEL JACKSON- you think pedophile; MARILYN MONROE- Kennedys, sex, Nembutal etcetera.

NATALIE'S closest friends knew about it, as did her family. Her mother, by the way supposedly was 'thrilled' that it had been by such a big name.
    Do you know these things as a fact?

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    Which things in particular ? . . . .

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Hey Chopper,
    Kelt does more research on these things than anyone could ever hope to expect on a message board....he would be the last person I'd take to task on facts here....

chopper Guest
    Which things in particular ? . . . .
    that her mother was thrilled she had been raped?

It was a simple question jack-o-lantern!

that her mother was thrilled she had been raped?

It was a simple question jack-o-lantern!
    Well, according to the biography of NATALIE by SUZANNE FINSTAD,
    Y-E-S, NATALIE' mother seemed thrilled & excited that the incident had been perpetrated by a "big name". Now the account was verified by FAYE NUELL who was one of NATALIE' closest friends** as well as her younger sister LANA. Considering the nature of the incident, I think that's about as much information as will ever be forthcoming on the rape because again, most folks in HOLLYWOOD DO NOT want to become involved in ANY SCANDAL.

**NUELL, who was also a good friend of the (recently) late SUZANNE PLESHETTE was also NATALIE'S 'Maid of Honor' at her December '57 wedding to ROBERT WAGNER.

NATALIE in 1955, around the time
    of the infamous rape.

NATALIE emerging from the ocean
    Malibu, California 1963

NATALIE with co-star STEVE McQUEEN
    during the filming of
    LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER

The FINSTAD book.

To Jack-O-Lantern;
    Hey, thanks for the vote of confidence !
    Best....Kelt

Noelle Page Guest
    i concur, Kelt's posts are little works of art, both in style and content!

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    i concur, Kelt's posts are little works of art, both in style and content!
    Totally agree. Kelt knows his stuff, thats for sure!

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Guest Guest
    Just thought I'd add this photo I found on my james dean group..she really loved him.

And this one is cute:

annannanna Guest
    I had no Idea any of this happend to her. Who raped her?

Quote Originally Posted by annannanna View Post
    I had no Idea any of this happend to her. Who raped her?

The general concensus names KIRK DOUGLAS as the rapist.

annannanna Guest
    Wow thats discusting! I would really love to know what really happened to her. Now I'll probably be obsessed with Natalie Wood

Guest Guest
    Where does it say it was Kirk? I don't remember it saying him in the book.

Lucy Furr Guest
    That's why I hate that creep. Him and his sex fiend son.

Lucy Furr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CMS View Post
    Just thought I'd add this photo I found on my james dean group..she really loved him.

And this one is cute:

I find it hard to believe they didn't have a little fun...she was good looking and hot to trot, and he was a man that seemed to like having fun.

I would say maybe it was because she was busy with her fling with Nicolas Ray but it didn't stop her from livin' it up with Dennis Hopper at the same time.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Furr View Post
    I find it hard to believe they didn't have a little fun...she was good looking and hot to trot, and he was a man that seemed to like having fun.

I would say maybe it was because she was busy with her fling with Nicolas Ray but it didn't stop her from livin' it up with Dennis Hopper at the same time.
    lol yes I read that James went around bragging how he fucked natalie wood

annannanna Guest
    Maybey he raped her.

Right on

Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    No prob, Christie. Seriously, im not that kind of people who gets mad because someone says a bad thing about a person that i didndt even know. What i found quite harsh was the phrase nutty broad. But, i didnt take it that seriously, it only saddened me to read an expression like that referred to woman who had such a tragic death.
    Oh, and by the way, im pretty sure that her daughters dont believe that RJ had anything to do with her death, neither do i.
    Kudos to you guys for working it out on the board. I think its great you can state your opinion and be heard with respect. Death Hags do give the props! Bravo!
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GODDESS6 Guest
    wow i had no idea she was raped, now i'm pised!!!~ i have always adored her~ thanx for posting more pics of her!!!~
    SHE WAS GORGEOUS!!!~
    splendor in the grass is my all time fav of hers~

lisalouver Guest
    I just had to add my .02 on Kelt and his posts.

I have learned an amazing amount from his posts and love to read each and every one.

And his pics are second to none!!

Thanks for the hard work Kelt!

Lucy Furr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I just had to add my .02 on Kelt and his posts.

I have learned an amazing amount from his posts and love to read each and every one.

And his pics are second to none!!

Thanks for the hard work Kelt!
    I second that one! There are plenty of people here that "hip" me to some great tidbits but he really has some good dirt!!

Guys- for any of you that are NATALIE WOOD fans, you really need to watch these clips below from a short 1964 documentary on her entitled HOLLYWOOD'S CHILD. The first and second clips are 10 minutes long (each), and the third is about 2 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkCIsH0OzKo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ebQGh2zY4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWqEHMldlaY

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Furr View Post
    I second that one! There are plenty of people here that "hip" me to some great tidbits but he really has some good dirt!!
    I just read this; Thanks Lucy. I appreciate your compliment !

K E L T

Jigsaw Guest

Rape

Quote Originally Posted by EthelMertz View Post
    It was quite upsetting to read in her bio book about her being viciously raped when she was younger by a very famous actor. Most have said it was definitely Kirk Douglas. Does anyone else remember reading this?
    In Suzanne Finistad's great book Natasha, it describes her rapist as Mr. Showbiz, Mr. Hollywood, Family Man, a Producer. It happened around 1955. The man threw her on the bed and said, "I've never had a teenager before" and forced himself on her. When she came home, she went to the hospital after telling her mother. She needed something for the pain. I don't know how they hushed it up.

In her friend's book, Natalie Wood by Gavin Lambert, he emphasizes a certain man's name as "Producer." Other producers are mentioned as "the Producer of ..." But there is never a "the" before the title of a certain "Producer." The emphasis was odd... unless you knew. Producer who was referred as such was Jack L. Warner, head of Warner's Studio. Also the same man who gave Bette Davis much trouble in her career.

Natalie and Bette were in a movie together. I think it was The Star 1955. The director of the film wanted Natalie to jump off a boat or yacht and land in the water. She begged him not to force her to do it. Bette Davis stuck up for her and she didn't have to make the scene. As it turned out, the scene wasn't necessary. I think -- this is my theory -- that Natalie confided in Bette about Jack L. Warner. Bette felt maternal towards Natalie. When Natalie died, Bette got into Robert Wagner's bedroom and said, "I want to know the truth. Was there an argument? What happened?" No one knows what he answered.

So my theory is Jack L. Warner was the culprit, Producer. Producer did this. Producer did that. Other Producers: The producer of the film... The producer felt Natalie could ..., etc. To me that was Lambert's coded message -- Producer.

I vaguely remember someone speculating that it was Kirk Douglas because she refused to do a movie with him. Don't know all the facts about that. In Kirk Douglas' autobiography, he had a date with Marilyn Monroe. When he came to her door, she let him in and he was disgusted. There was dog poop on the floor. She didn't seem to be aware of it. He thought if her house is like this, her hygiene must be pretty bad as well. He did not have sex with Marilyn Monroe. So he doesn't come across as a sex fiend. If the smell was so bad, he could have brought her back to his house.

jigsaw

I highly doubt that the rapist was JACK L. WARNER :

FINSTAD' book described the man as "a married movie star".
    LANA WOOD has said that she will publicly name the rapist after his death (WARNER died 30 years ago and was NEVER A MOVIE STAR).
    One of the people whom NATALIE confided to about the incident, actor SCOTT MARLOWE said that she had told him the perpetrator was a famous actor/producer. NATALIE'S close friend FAYE NUELL said that after the incident (that) NATALIE always sarcastically referred to the actor as 'MR. SHOWBIZ'.
    The general concensus is that the rapist was KIRK DOUGLAS.
    Your asertion that he doesn't come across as 'a sex fiend' because he didn't bang MARILYN MONROE due to her uncleanliness is both implausible as well as absurd. Do you find that you can often detect who will or will not be a perpetrator of a rape ? The world is made up of millions of varying shades of grays, not (merely) black & white. Not all rapists look like a leering MR. HYDE

Jigsaw Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    It's not unusual for intoxicated people to argue. It's also not unusual for stars in leading roles to be infatuated with each other or stretch it out into an affair....ending when the filming ends. (I think Julia Roberts has taken it to an extreme, tho.) I also think the reason CW and RJ won't talk about it is because they probably also had some drugs involved. How bad would it be for their careers that a beloved wife, friend, co-star and screen star died because they were all messed up on drugs and alcohol? Not good.

I thought NW was a much better actress as a child. She was great in Miracle on 34th St. and The Ghost & Mrs. Muir. Her acting in adult years made me think of a B-list actress' talents.
    I don't think they needed drugs. They drank that whole weekend -- morning, noon and night. Both RJ and Natalie were alcoholics. But the Skipper, who was also plastered, said he never saw them argue like that in all the years he knew them. A really bad night.

As for Natalie as an actress, she was thoroughly under-rated. I often wondered what were her sources for all the emotions she displayed. I figured she was happy. But I read Natasha, Suzanne Finistad's book, and I could see the pressures on her and things starting in childhood. It wasn't a happy home as her stepfather was always drunk and she was supporting the whole family since childhood. And her mother was a ruthless stage mother, going as far as having a butterfly and pulling its wings off in front of Natalie as a child, so she'd be able to cry in a scene.

Jigsaw Guest

The Culprit

I highly doubt that the rapist was JACK L. WARNER :

FINSTAD' book described the man as "a married movie star".
    LANA WOOD has said that she will publicly name the rapist after his death (WARNER died 30 years ago and was NEVER A MOVIE STAR).
    One of the people whom NATALIE confided to about the incident, actor SCOTT MARLOWE said that she had told him the perpetrator was a famous actor/producer. NATALIE'S close friend FAYE NUELL said that after the incident (that) NATALIE always sarcastically referred to the actor as 'MR. SHOWBIZ'.
    The general concensus is that the rapist was KIRK DOUGLAS.
    Your asertion that he doesn't come across as 'a sex fiend' because he didn't bang MARILYN MONROE due to her uncleanliness is both implausible as well as absurd. Do you find that you can often detect who will or will not be a perpetrator of a rape ? The world is made up of millions of varying shades of grays, not (merely) black & white. Not all rapists look like a leering MR. HYDE
    Then I stand corrected, Kelt. Some men will force themselves onto you and think nothing about it afterward because they think their behavior was normal and women who say no don't really mean it. That was the thinking at the time. A woman accused President Clinton of raping her and thinking nothing of it. I think in Kitty Kelley's book she told about a woman who said Ronald Reagan raped her and behaved as if this was normal.

But I wonder why Lambert kept referring to "producer." I thought he was giving clues.

Another thing about Kirk Douglas, he had all sons. Maybe if he'd had a daughter, he would realize taking a woman by force is wrong. I liked a lot of his movies. It's hard to realize he did something like that. As you said, his son, Michael, was receiving treatment for being a sex addict. And he had that crazy son, Eric, now deceased, who tried to be a stand up comic and was always being pullled off airplanes by cops and put under arrest.

jigsaw

NickyBeth Guest
    I always thought that something "fishy" was up with this.

Of course, RJ and Walken were probably so freakin' blotto, they never heard Natalie's cries when she went overboard.

I do find it odd that someone who had such a fear of water loved to sail. Most people would be petrified of the water and wear a life-jacket, would they not? Yet another one of life's unsolved mysteries. And is it me, or did Natalie get more beautiful as she aged?

BTW, that cross on her grave is a Russian Orthodox cross. That rules out the Jewish part, I guess.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Watched the Bette Davis film The Star last night, and was delighted to see it co-starred a very young Natalie Wood (playing Bette's daughter), who was just excellent in it, as usual. It was actually a depressing film, quite maudlin and not one of Bette's best (not because of Bette, who was mesmerizing as always, but due rather to a fairly hackneyed script and lackluster direction)...however every single scene featuring Natalie lit the film up like a Christmas tree...in fact, Natalie lit up everything she touched.

I sure do miss her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Watched the Bette Davis film The Star last night, and was delighted to see it co-starred a very young Natalie Wood (playing Bette's daughter), who was just excellent in it, as usual. It was actually a depressing film, quite maudlin and not one of Bette's best (not because of Bette, who was mesmerizing as always, but due rather to a fairly hackneyed script and lackluster direction)...however every single scene featuring Natalie lit the film up like a Christmas tree...in fact, Natalie lit up everything she touched.

I sure do miss her.
    I love the part where BETTE is driving late at night around Beverly Hills; she's drunk as a skunk and (she's) pointing the homes of the famous to a non-existent audience:
    " and here is the home of the young and talented
    MITZI GAYNOR........how young can you be ?........."

JestersKiss Guest
    One of my favorites....The Great Race......and check out that cast

http://www.homevideos.com/revcom/32.htm

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I love the part where BETTE is driving late at night around Beverly Hills; she's drunk as a skunk and (she's) pointing the homes of the famous to a non-existent audience:
    " and here is the home of the young and talented
    MITZI GAYNOR........how young can you be ?........."
    Evidently that was one of Bette's real Oscars teetering on the dashboard of her car in that scene!

Oh boy........mama lookit !

the drunk driving scene from THE STAR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOpZzUmU5hw

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    My favorite scene...
    "...dead, flat, stony BROKE."

warmbear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyBeth View Post
    I always thought that something "fishy" was up with this.

Of course, RJ and Walken were probably so freakin' blotto, they never heard Natalie's cries when she went overboard.

I do find it odd that someone who had such a fear of water loved to sail. Most people would be petrified of the water and wear a life-jacket, would they not? Yet another one of life's unsolved mysteries. And is it me, or did Natalie get more beautiful as she aged?

BTW, that cross on her grave is a Russian Orthodox cross. That rules out the Jewish part, I guess.
    Here are my thoughts on this ever since it happened, and I have never seen anything definite enough to change them...

Natalie and RJ had a very volatile relationship at the best of times. They had been married, divorced, and then married again a second time.. I think that they were both the worse for drink that night, and got into an argument, and it escalated (as they always do), and RJ pushed her, and she went into the water. It may not have been with the intent to kill her, but that is what it did. The whole story as reported never jived in my mind, and seemed way too much like a confabulation.

Pat Bateman Guest
    Natalie was a stunning woman, and a highly under rated actress.

I love that scene in Rebel where she and Jimmy Dean kiss for the first time. They looked so amazingly beautiful on screen together.

Jigsaw Guest
    Natalie was about to do stage for the first time in her life. I believe it was Anastasia. Photos of her dressed in the costumes appeared. This would provide a great outlet for her, a challenge, a new phase in her career and an opportunity to dig into her Russian roots. But she died.

At the time of her death, she was selling fur coats in magazine ads: What Becomes a Legend Most. I think the PETA people would have attacked her.

She needed peace in her home life. And excitement in her career.

jigsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    Natalie was about to do stage for the first time in her life. I believe it was Anastasia. Photos of her dressed in the costumes appeared. This would provide a great outlet for her, a challenge, a new phase in her career and an opportunity to dig into her Russian roots. But she died.

At the time of her death, she was selling fur coats in magazine ads: What Becomes a Legend Most. I think the PETA people would have attacked her.

She needed peace in her home life. And excitement in her career.

jigsaw
    Odd how you worded that: She was selling fur coats in magazine ads.

I believe that the clever advertising campaign for BLACKGLAMA ( "which claims to create the best mink coat going") began in 1968.

FAYE DUNAWAY, JUDY GARLAND and later her daughter LIZI MINELLI, PAULETTE GODDARD, JOAN CRAWFORD, CAROL BURNETT, RAQUEL WELCH, LENA HORNE, LAUREN BACALL, BETTE DAVIS, JOAN FONTAINE, CLAUDETTE COLBERT, MARIA CALLAS, HELEN HAYES, RITA HAYWORTH, ANGELA LANSBURY, MYRNA LOY, & SHIRLEY MacLAINE are amongst those who had posed for BLACKGLAMA before NATALIE did.

NATALIE was the current 'Legend' at the time of her death in 1981. If you ever noticed, the ads never listed the name of the 'Legend ', rather they showcased a well known actress, opera singer, entertainer etc in their product with the simple but easily remembered tagline of
    "What Becomes A Legend Most...?".

In the past few years, CINDY CRAWFORD, uber model GISELE BUNDCHEN, & LINDA EVANGELISTA have been 'Legends'. The most current one is NAOMI CAMPBELL.

Jigsaw Guest

Unhappy I Hate to Be a Spoil Sport but...

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    My feelings exactly! The only other actress who is close to her equal in beauty is Denise Richards...both are the type of faces I can't stop staring at for their stunning beauty.
    No actresses I've seen can compare with Natalie Wood. I just looked up Denise Richards. Attractive, cute, but no Natalie Wood. They're not even close in the stratosphere.

Only person as beautiful, whom no on can compare, was Marilyn Monroe.

In my ever so humble opinion.

jigsaw

Jigsaw Guest

"This is what happens when you're on a boat and you drink!"--My Father

Quote Originally Posted by warmbear View Post
    Here are my thoughts on this ever since it happened, and I have never seen anything definite enough to change them...

Natalie and RJ had a very volatile relationship at the best of times. They had been married, divorced, and then married again a second time.. I think that they were both the worse for drink that night, and got into an argument, and it escalated (as they always do), and RJ pushed her, and she went into the water. It may not have been with the intent to kill her, but that is what it did. The whole story as reported never jived in my mind, and seemed way too much like a confabulation.
    I agree with you. Something bad happened. The Captain or skipper was as plastered as his employers. She may have fallen over by herself. I think the water was choppy that night and cold. When she screamed for help, Wagner yelled out in a Boris Karloff way, "We're coming to get you." Others on another boat heard a woman yell for help and a man answering thusly. He was too damn drunk to know what he was doing. And the skipper was too. At some point in this long night, Wagner finds out Natalie's missing and calls for help. In the morning they found her dead from hypothermia.

I gleaned this from Suzanne Finistad's great book, Natasha.

jigsaw