Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clark Gable

leevancleef Guest

Clark Gable

i just noticed that we havent started a thread on Gable yet!
    Theres a fabulous thread about Carole Lombard , his third wife, but the King of Hollywood needs a whole thread for himself, dont you think?
    Any Clark fans ?
    i love his 30s movies, every single one of them! Some of my favorites are Red Dust, San Francisco and It Happened one night.
    He was not the best actors, but he was good enough and had that special thing that made an actor a super star.
    Any thoughts about him¿

The one and only.. Rhett Butler!

poppie Guest
    He and Joan Crawford had an on going affair that lasted many years, even thru their marriages. Someone asked her what made Gable so special, after all a man is a man. Crawford replied yes, that is true and that all men are alike. Except, for testicles. All men had them, but when Gable walked, his clacked together.

More Cheese Please Guest
    He had a daughter out of wedlock with Loretta Young. Her name is Judy Davis.

http://judy-lewis.com/film/book/uncommonknowledge.html

Carole Lombard is also quoted as saying... "If his pee-pee was one inch shorter, they'd be calling him the Queen of Hollywood".

Anyone know what his son, John Clark Gable is doing?

I love clarke! Its his presence in a film that made it - loved gwtw as you can see but he was great in it happened one night,

Last i heard about his son...his drug habit made his teeth fall out, his arms scarred...i would be surprised if he was clean & alive.What a shame.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post
    I love clarke! Its his presence in a film that made it - loved gwtw as you can see but he was great in it happened one night,

Last i heard about his son...his drug habit made his teeth fall out, his arms scarred...i would be surprised if he was clean & alive.What a shame.
    OMG! Are you kidding? That is so very, very sad. I hope for the best. Did he have any children?

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Here is a pic of him
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	575  

More Cheese Please Guest

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post

Oh my! Thats awful!! I wonder if hes still a junkie.
    ~K

leevancleef Guest
    Its a shame, i guess he didnt have an easy life, i mean his father died before he was even born and he was CLARK GABLE. And his mother died when he was young, i think he was in his twenties. id like to know more about him.

RoRo Guest
    Loved Clark Gable...of course I'm southern so his Rhett Butler is my favorite performance!

Reecy Guest
    I love Clark Gable. I remember seeing his son on numerous talk shows years ago and it makes me sad that he turned to drugs. I hope he gets himself together because he seemed like a really nice guy.

Darrianne Guest
    Clark was a hottie. I always did go for men with dark hair. :-)

leevancleef Guest
    Did you know that he had to extract almost all of his teeth due to pyorrhea, and that the infection almost killed him?
    i knew about his dentures, but i didnt know he had to extract his teeth for that reason.

1karenhb Guest
    Back in the early 80's John CLark Gable did offroad car racing and I met him at Riverside Raceway in Calif. He was married and had a child ( don't remember if it was a boy or girl). He seemed a really nice guy but looked nothing like his father. His mother was still alive then. He later got divorced. So sorry to hear about his drug problems.

VegasVic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    He had a daughter out of wedlock with Loretta Young. Her name is Judy Davis.
    It's Judy Lewis

16. 11-08-2007, 06:07 PM

ayayaywho doesn't remember this famous scene???? ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
    pull the string!

Morrissey Guest
    He was an absolute fox.

JeffD Guest

Pioneer Saloon & Oatman hotel

This is where Gable waited after Carole Lombard's plane crash.

http://www.pioneersaloon.info/index.htm

This is where they spent their honeymoon.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/AZ-OatmanHotel.html

Gable loved driving through the desert to escape the city. He loved to play poker with old miners in little mining towns.

Katie Guest
    I also love Clark Gable!!

brien85 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    This is where Gable waited after Carole Lombard's plane crash.

http://www.pioneersaloon.info/index.htm

This is where they spent their honeymoon.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/AZ-OatmanHotel.html

Gable loved driving through the desert to escape the city. He loved to play poker with old miners in little mining towns.

he came to my hometown of butte montana which is a mining town

JeffD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brien85 View Post
    he came to my hometown of butte montana which is a mining town
    Cool! Home of Evel Knievel too, isn't it? Welcome to the Board!!

Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Did you know that he had to extract almost all of his teeth due to pyorrhea, and that the infection almost killed him?
    i knew about his dentures, but i didnt know he had to extract his teeth for that reason.
    [SIZE=4]W[/SIZE]ell, because his smile was so unattractive he had his teeth (improperly) crowned when he was married to JOSEPHINE, wife # 1. Since they were improperly crowned and with the advancing gum disease it was decided to remove his teeth and go for dentures. The dentist didn't remove the teeth in their entirety either. A decade later GABLE accompanied LOMBARD to JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL for a series fo gynecological tests to see why she was barren. While there, GABLE also wanted to find the cause to a chronically aching shoulder. He'd assumed that it was an old football injury. Turned out that the dentist who had removed his teeth years earlier hadn't pulled one (tooth) out completely; there were several roots of a molar that had broken off and were still lodged in his lower mandible. He had them excised at HOPKINS. This was in 1940.

leevancleef Guest

Boy, was he gorgeous....

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen_Death_Hag View Post
    Here is a pic of him
    Looks like Dad.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Pic of Judy Lewis: http://www.loretta-young.com/tribute-judy-lewis.html

She's lovely and I think all Loretta went through to keep her baby with her was very brave and way ahead of the times. It would have been easier to go out of town, and have friends adopt her baby. All the deception couldn't have been easy, but Loretta did it out of love.

Some of those old time Hollywood columnists could get vicious and probably rumors of this swirled around for years. But Clark and Loretta were so universally loved, not to mention big box office; it's good it didn't become the big scandal of 1936!

deathpool Guest
    I loved him in GWTW. He looked a ghost of himself though in the Misfits. Poor Marilyn didn't make filming easy for him. He died of a heart attack soon after.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Clark Gable has always been one of my favorites.
    I don't think he was ever the same after Carol Lombard's death.

He was so damn good-looking in Gone With The Wind!

I always wondered what happened to his son John Clark Gable.
    What those damn drugs do to people.

I still remember seeing John Clark at the Premiere of a John Wayne
    movie in the early 70's. "The Cowboys" with his mother.
    He was still a boy then. He was very handsome himself.
    He had blond hair like him mother did.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Gable and Lombard is a great book if you like these two.
    Extremely moving and funny. (the movie sucked big time)

deathpool Guest
    His son's an actor.

Here's some info about him.

20 March 1961, Los Angeles, California, USA

Spouse

Alexandria Remlin Gable (1 February 1999 - 2002) (filed for divorce) Tracy Yarro (1984 - 1990) (divorced) 2 children
    Trivia

Son of Clark Gable and Kay Williams.
    Was born after his father, Clark Gable's, death.
    Half-brother of Judy Lewis.
    His second child, with Tracy Yarro, is called Clark James Gable, who was born on September 10, 1988 at a hefty 10 lbs. The boy is the first Clark Gable to grace the family since his grandfather died in November 1960. They also have a daughter, Kayley Gable, born in 1986.
    In early 2002, the Associated Press reported that John Clark Gable has filed for divorce from his second wife, Alexandria Remlin Gable, on the grounds of irreconcilable differences.
    His ex-wife, Tracy Yarro, is a hairdresser.
    Inherited $400,000 from the estate of his father, Clark Gable.

MoonRabbit Guest
    You would think the sons of Icons like Clark Gable and Tyrone Power
    would be just as successful as their fathers on screen.
    But it doesn't seem to happen does it?

deathpool Guest
    No it doesn't maybe he found it hard to live up to his fathers name.
    Look what happened to Kirk Douglas's other son Eric.

orionova Guest
    I have the book 'Gable and Lombard', and recommend it wholeheartedly. It's available pretty cheaply on half.com. Stay away from 'The Clark Gable and Carole Lombard Murder Mystery', or whatever the title is. It's a horrible piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    You would think the sons of Icons like Clark Gable and Tyrone Power
    would be just as successful as their fathers on screen.
    But it doesn't seem to happen does it?

Sure it does. You're forgetting that the famous TYRONE POWER that we all recall from the late 1930s through the late 1950s was also the son of an actor of the stage as well as the screen. The TYRONE POWER that we all remember was actually himself a 'junior' and was far more famous than his father.

TYRONE POWER SR.

SR. & JR.

TYRONE POWER (JR.) circa 1950

TYRONE POWER III and his half sister ROMINA.
    He is referred to as being (a) Jr., but he's really a III
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

MoonRabbit Guest
    Tyrone Power looks like a little geek in that second photo above.
    He grew into such a beautiful man!

John Wilkes Booth was also the son of a very famous actor.
    Junius Booth.
    The day of Lincoln's assassination a man teased John Wilkes Booth
    about how he would never be the actor his father was.
    John Wilkes Booth mentioned that after that night the entire world
    would know his name.
    I wonder if jealously of his father played a part in the assassination?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junius_Brutus_Booth

Well, his brother EDWIN was also an actor & quite respected.

pattykad Guest
    Thanks for the Pioneer Saloon info....I love stuff like that. I was
    at the Oatman Hotel this summer as I traveled through the
    area. Fun to see their "honeymoon suite:"

Gable sometimes hunted in North Dakota and and we grew up with
    the story that our dog was from the same litter as Gable's
    black lab as my dad hunted there too. That was our brush
    with fame.

DOA Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    That reminds me of a story about him and, I think, Grace Kelly, maybe I'm way off. Anyway, I don't know how old he was but he was drunk and took out his dentures in front of her and she bolted FAST.

deathpool Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DOA View Post
    That reminds me of a story about him and, I think, Grace Kelly, maybe I'm way off. Anyway, I don't know how old he was but he was drunk and took out his dentures in front of her and she bolted FAST.
    I heard Vivian Leigh complained when he was drinking on GWTW because she had to kiss him and she said he stank from the drink.

Maruz83 Guest
    He was so handsom ....... there's no actors like him now...

Quote Originally Posted by deathpool View Post
    I heard Vivian Leigh complained when he was drinking on GWTW because she had to kiss him and she said he stank from the drink.
    I (had) thought that LEIGH said that the kissing scenes were unpleasant because of GABLE'S haliotosis due in large part from his dentures.

That's what I read too, Kelt.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

orionova Guest
    The father of a good friend described Gable's breath as "it smelled like he'd eaten a shit sandwich". Now there's a mental picture!

michael d Guest
    My dad and I stopped at his birthplace in Cadiz, OH, about 10 years ago on the way to my grandparents house. The actual house was gone but a memorial(which is pictured in post 6) was erected about 40 feet from where it once stood. At the time they planned to reconstruct the house and have since. Just a gravel parking lot when I was there. For a small town. . . it was a big boost to the local economy. I believe that his granddaughter occassional visits for his birthday celebration. My deceased grandfather always said he was born in Independence, OH, anyways.
    Last edited by michael d; 01-02-2009 at 11:14 PM.

Nicki Guest

Son John Clark Gable & Granddaughter Kayley Gable

Quote Originally Posted by deathpool View Post
    His son's an actor.

Here's some info about him.

20 March 1961, Los Angeles, California, USA

Spouse

Alexandria Remlin Gable (1 February 1999 - 2002) (filed for divorce) Tracy Yarro (1984 - 1990) (divorced) 2 children
    Trivia

Son of Clark Gable and Kay Williams.
    Was born after his father, Clark Gable's, death.
    Half-brother of Judy Lewis.
    His second child, with Tracy Yarro, is called Clark James Gable, who was born on September 10, 1988 at a hefty 10 lbs. The boy is the first Clark Gable to grace the family since his grandfather died in November 1960. They also have a daughter, Kayley Gable, born in 1986.
    In early 2002, the Associated Press reported that John Clark Gable has filed for divorce from his second wife, Alexandria Remlin Gable, on the grounds of irreconcilable differences.
    His ex-wife, Tracy Yarro, is a hairdresser.
    Inherited $400,000 from the estate of his father, Clark Gable.
    YouTube: John Clark Gable
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1CGlv2219U

YouTube: Kayley Gable
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_iJS...eature=related

Tracyb24 Guest
    Good lookin dudes.

burgtwngrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by orionova View Post
    The father of a good friend described Gable's breath as "it smelled like he'd eaten a shit sandwich". Now there's a mental picture!
    OMG that is so funny!

burgtwngrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michael d View Post
    My dad and I stopped at his birthplace in Cadiz, OH, about 10 years ago on the way to my grandparents house. The actual house was gone but a memorial(which is pictured in post 6) was erected about 40 feet from where it once stood. At the time they planned to reconstruct the house and have since. Just a gravel parking lot when I was there. For a small town. . . it was a big boost to the local economy. I believe that his granddaughter occassional visits for his birthday celebration. My deceased grandfather always said he was born in Independence, OH, anyways.
    I live very close to Cadiz and Hopedale OH. Yes it is a very small town they are very very proud to be the birthplace of Clark though. Kayley was there last year for Clark's Birthday.

burgtwngrl Guest
    Is it me or does John Clarke Gable NOT look like Clarke? He looks like he's had a hard life.

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    Pic of Judy Lewis: http://www.loretta-young.com/tribute-judy-lewis.html

She's lovely and I think all Loretta went through to keep her baby with her was very brave and way ahead of the times. It would have been easier to go out of town, and have friends adopt her baby. All the deception couldn't have been easy, but Loretta did it out of love.

Some of those old time Hollywood columnists could get vicious and probably rumors of this swirled around for years. But Clark and Loretta were so universally loved, not to mention big box office; it's good it didn't become the big scandal of 1936!
    I thought Loretta was really brave to keep Judy too. I read that Loretta always had Judy wear hats as a baby because Judy had Clarke's ears.

Holy moly!
    I missed this thread????

I went to Cadiz Ohio and visited the Clark Gable birthplace......
    I love him cause he is just Gable.
    Kinda like John Wayne was just John Wayne, only a hell of lot more attractive!