Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415 LastLast

Thread: Princess Diana

Xiroi Guest
    I see the misunderstanding now.

HRH meaning his/her royal highness is not the form of address used for the monach that is HM (his/her majesty). I must apologise for using the word "title" when I should have used "form of address" as English is not my native language.

People certainly swear loyalty to their monarchs in their countries when they join the military or become a minister or other contexts, but that doesn't mean having a title with the royal or imperial highness form of address (not all titles imply being highnesses) is "a constitutional position that comes with income, military ranks" meaning they get money or that they are related to the military just for being highnesses, which is what I thought you meant, but I see now that's not the case.

Any interaction with the royal family is clearly defined by the protocol for the specific situation but protocol is certainly not the same as law, thank God, even if no doubt someone from the military would get in trouble if they didn't salute a member of the royal family in an ceremony of any kind of public ceremony/oficcial context just like they would if they took out their mobiles and started texting in the middle of a parade.

In short, breaking the protocol can be inacceptable, but it's not the same as breaking the law.

TorontoDude Guest
    deleted post
    Last edited by TorontoDude; 08-10-2015 at 08:37 AM.

Xiroi Guest
    Thank you so much for your kind words. Not sure what makes you assume I don't have a job, thanks for worrying though but rest assured, my parents didn't spend a fortune in my education for me to end up unemployed.

Anyway this is not about me or my career and I'm sorry you get it so personally when someone explains you the basics about royal titles, forms of address depending on the title or protocol.

Back to Diana...

Xiroi Guest
    Never seen before pictures from Diana's wedding to be auctioned. I love how she focuses on the children while there are so many people around her. When I was a shy teen I used to do that at big events, it felt kind of safe and took a lot of pressure from me just talking and giving attention to the young ones when I was so embarrassed because I didn't know what to do or who to talk to or what to say. I wonder if it was the same for her (Shy Lady Di) who after all was just a teen.

The pic from the inside of the Palace showing them on the balcony is also a favourite.

http://www.housebeautiful.com/design...1451_221954334

Quote Originally Posted by Xiroi View Post
    Never seen before pictures from Diana's wedding to be auctioned. I love how she focuses on the children while there are so many people around her. When I was a shy teen I used to do that at big events, it felt kind of safe and took a lot of pressure from me just talking and giving attention to the young ones when I was so embarrassed because I didn't know what to do or who to talk to or what to say. I wonder if it was the same for her (Shy Lady Di) who after all was just a teen.

The pic from the inside of the Palace showing them on the balcony is also a favourite.

http://www.housebeautiful.com/design...1451_221954334
    I admit that she looked beautiful on the day but the dress did not. By the time she was walking up the aisle it looked like a crumbled bit of paper. They should have stuck to the same design but let it up a bit then it would have been perfect.

I agree. But it was the 80's big and ruffled was the thing. Her clothes in the 90's were beautiful, sleek and haute couture.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Xiroi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shellc View Post
    I admit that she looked beautiful on the day but the dress did not. By the time she was walking up the aisle it looked like a crumbled bit of paper. They should have stuck to the same design but let it up a bit then it would have been perfect.
    ITA, when I said I liked the balcony picture I meant I liked that "behind the scenes" point of view of an image we've seen millions of times.

One of the biggest criticisms the designers got was making such a huge dress not keeping in mind the size of the carriage, so when she got out of it, the dress looked as if she had slept in it. Apparently no one thought of taking an iron to the cathedral (the vertical ones used in fashion shows) to fix the dress before going out. Even commoners do that but apparently no one thought of her dress needing some last minute touch up besides taking the veil from her face and putting the tiara back in place when milions of people would be watching every detail.

The design was dreadful imo, too many bows and lace and too much of everything (I'm a less is more kind of girl) but I can understand that a very young (and tall) British girl getting married to the Prince of Wales in the 80's can kind of get away with it. This dress is an icon just because it was hers. When you have a look at some wedding dresses of royal weddings from the 80's you have either the elegant simple style or very 80's ones which you just laugh at because those who worn them are far from Diana's legendary status.

In any case she dropped those designers (the Emmanuels, a married couple) quite quickly and the older she got the further away from that style she went.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiroi View Post
    ITA, when I said I liked the balcony picture I meant I liked that "behind the scenes" point of view of an image we've seen millions of times.

One of the biggest criticisms the designers got was making such a huge dress not keeping in mind the size of the carriage, so when she got out of it, the dress looked as if she had slept in it. Apparently no one thought of taking an iron to the cathedral (the vertical ones used in fashion shows) to fix the dress before going out. Even commoners do that but apparently no one thought of her dress needing some last minute touch up besides taking the veil from her face and putting the tiara back in place when milions of people would be watching every detail.

The design was dreadful imo, too many bows and lace and too much of everything (I'm a less is more kind of girl) but I can understand that a very young (and tall) British girl getting married to the Prince of Wales in the 80's can kind of get away with it. This dress is an icon just because it was hers. When you have a look at some wedding dresses of royal weddings from the 80's you have either the elegant simple style or very 80's ones which you just laugh at because those who worn them are far from Diana's legendary status.

In any case she dropped those designers (the Emmanuels, a married couple) quite quickly and the older she got the further away from that style she went.
    Yet to this day, the Emmanuels act as if they were the sole reason the wedding was the phenomenon it was. They've used the same tired old lines year after year whenever someone asks for an interview.

Xiroi Guest
    Yet to this day, the Emmanuels act as if they were the sole reason the wedding was the phenomenon it was. They've used the same tired old lines year after year whenever someone asks for an interview.
    I thought they were still in jail for crimes against elegance and style.

Now seriously, I suppose it must be hard for them to move on from their 15 minutes of fame several decades ago but it's obvious anything Diana had worn that day would have become iconic certainly not because of the designer or the design itself but because of her and what SHE became. That dreadful dress is proof of that.

Nicely put ! And so very true.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I have a friend who married in the late 70s. Her wedding dress, while not as ornate or expensive as Diana's--was such that she looked as if she was enclosed in a cloud. Ew. Kate's is more my taste.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

human Guest
    she's near the top of my list when it comes to the most evil super villains of last century ... you know for that routine of self promoting off acts of alledged charity
    Last edited by human; 08-21-2015 at 03:20 AM.

transcript of a telephone conversation betrween Pres. Clinton and PM Blair Sept 1/1997 re: Diana's death

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ana-death.html

her grave site is getting a revamp

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-pound-revamp/

stupid question but if Di and Charles were divorced why on earth would she want to stay at the Palace living with him???? In America we get our own other place when we divorce.....; Diana was sneaking in 1 man she dated for awhile, in disguise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Free lodgings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    stupid question but if Di and Charles were divorced why on earth would she want to stay at the Palace living with him???? In America we get our own other place when we divorce.....; Diana was sneaking in 1 man she dated for awhile, in disguise.
    I would bet it had something to do with the kids. Can't have potential heirs to the throne living in the same squalor as the common folk.

When Charles and Di split up, she and the kids stayed at Kensington Palace, and he moved to whichever of the other 4 places called his official residence.

I think he did keep a couple of offices in Kensington Palace though, but it's not like they ran into each other all the time.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    I would bet it had something to do with the kids. Can't have potential heirs to the throne living in the same squalor as the common folk.

When Charles and Di split up, she and the kids stayed at Kensington Palace, and he moved to whichever of the other 4 places called his official residence.

I think he did keep a couple of offices in Kensington Palace though, but it's not like they ran into each other all the time.
    That's it exactly. She might not have been a member of the Royal Family anymore per se, but she was still the mother to the direct heir to the throne. It's not like they could send her back to Sloane Square. The Royal Family always observed protocol above all else, I have to say that since her death they have learned to show a slightly more "human" face.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I never was the girl next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
    That's it exactly. She might not have been a member of the Royal Family anymore per se, but she was still the mother to the direct heir to the throne. It's not like they could send her back to Sloane Square. The Royal Family always observed protocol above all else, I have to say that since her death they have learned to show a slightly more "human" face.
    I think she was still a princess in everything but name so she still got a lot of the benefits and used them to her advantage. They knew she was popular but I don't think anyone realised how much until she died although a lot of that was ppl just jumping on the grief bandwagon as they tend to when people die. It took days for the queen to finally speak and even when she did, it wasn't enough for some and that was the turning point. While it was a horrible thing to happen, at least something good came from it.

I think that's why so many want Charles to step aside and let William take charge when she steps down so they can keep everything up to date but in all honesty, Charles has waited too long to say 'take my place' now.

I think she was still a princess in everything but name so she still got a lot of the benefits and used them to her advantage. They knew she was popular but I don't think anyone realised how much until she died although a lot of that was ppl just jumping on the grief bandwagon as they tend to when people die. It took days for the queen to finally speak and even when she did, it wasn't enough for some and that was the turning point. While it was a horrible thing to happen, at least something good came from it.

I think that's why so many want Charles to step aside and let William take charge when she steps down so they can keep everything up to date but in all honesty, Charles has waited too long to say 'take my place' now.
    The Queen is never going to step aside for Charles, she will be Queen until she becomes too infirm or dies. Charles has waited his entire life for what will be an incredibly short reign. I think when his time comes he should step aside for William but somehow I don't think he will. When you look at the British monarchy compared to other countries, we still have an incredibly dated outlook. I think we could stand to be dragged into a more modern way of thinking and I think given how determined William is to honour his mother's legacy that he will be the one to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
    The Queen is never going to step aside for Charles, she will be Queen until she becomes too infirm or dies. Charles has waited his entire life for what will be an incredibly short reign. I think when his time comes he should step aside for William but somehow I don't think he will. When you look at the British monarchy compared to other countries, we still have an incredibly dated outlook. I think we could stand to be dragged into a more modern way of thinking and I think given how determined William is to honour his mother's legacy that he will be the one to do it.
    The only way Charles wouldn't take the throne would be if he died before the queen. He needs to think of everything rather than his own needs but like you said, they have had their own way of doing things for god knows how long now that I can't see it changing anytime soon even though like you say, it needs to.

The Queen will die on the throne and Charles will never allow William to succeed him. This particular family doesn't feel its in their power to relinquish the throne. I do feel that his brief relationship with Diana helped Charles understand the need for the family to be more down to Earth and I believe that he sees her influence on his sons as being an invaluable one. Just seeing how happy William is with his wife and children (something he never had), makes me believe that he will be an okay King. I think that William, however, will be amazing as King, however long he has to wait.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    The Queen will die on the throne and Charles will never allow William to succeed him. This particular family doesn't feel its in their power to relinquish the throne. I do feel that his brief relationship with Diana helped Charles understand the need for the family to be more down to Earth and I believe that he sees her influence on his sons as being an invaluable one. Just seeing how happy William is with his wife and children (something he never had), makes me believe that he will be an okay King. I think that William, however, will be amazing as King, however long he has to wait.
    it's shocking that it took someone dying for them to realise that though. While I know she wasn't innocent, they made her into the woman she became by thinking they could play her and it backfired. You have to wonder what both William and Harry think of the way she was portrayed. She may have been the biggest bitch going according to some but she was still their mother and it can't be nice finding out what other members of the family and the people who worked with them thought about her beforehand because right up to the day she died, they were calling her out for being with someone who could bring shame to the family.

it's shocking that it took someone dying for them to realise that though. While I know she wasn't innocent, they made her into the woman she became by thinking they could play her and it backfired. You have to wonder what both William and Harry think of the way she was portrayed. She may have been the biggest bitch going according to some but she was still their mother and it can't be nice finding out what other members of the family and the people who worked with them thought about her beforehand because right up to the day she died, they were calling her out for being with someone who could bring shame to the family.
    I agree. Hopefully they don't try and dig too far into the past. There isn't much they can do about it now. I feel the way they have continued her legacy of giving to her favorite causes and just reaching out to people and getting in front of them is a true testament to how much they love her and how they know that she truly loved them. In her entire chaotic life, even people here on the other side of the pond could see that they were the sun and the moon to her and more often that not, the only good thing in her life. I'm sure she would say that putting up with the Establishment was worth it because of them.
    Minerva

I agree. Hopefully they don't try and dig too far into the past. There isn't much they can do about it now. I feel the way they have continued her legacy of giving to her favorite causes and just reaching out to people and getting in front of them is a true testament to how much they love her and how they know that she truly loved them. In her entire chaotic life, even people here on the other side of the pond could see that they were the sun and the moon to her and more often that not, the only good thing in her life. I'm sure she would say that putting up with the Establishment was worth it because of them.
    Definitely, even those who hated her would be hard pressed to find a bad word about her parenting. She was adamant they weren't going to have the stuffy upbringing that Charles and his sister/brothers had where it was strange to even hug your mother. If they wanted to go to the movies, they went, it was the same with theme parks and while they went to a posh school, it was as normal as it could be for princes and William and Kate are doing the same with George and Charlotte.

It's the same with their careers. While most of the royal's had military placement's whether it was Navy, army etc, Harry and William are the only one's who stuck to it all the way through. Could you see Edward flying a rescue helicopter or going to Afghanistan with the army?

The queen however doesn't seem to have changed. I remember watching a clip of the celebration she just had, I think it was her 90th?. Anyway, they were on the balcony and George was a little nervous so William did what any father would do and knelt down to see if he was alright and the queen actually told him off for it and told him to stand back up.

Definitely, even those who hated her would be hard pressed to find a bad word about her parenting. She was adamant they weren't going to have the stuffy upbringing that Charles and his sister/brothers had where it was strange to even hug your mother. If they wanted to go to the movies, they went, it was the same with theme parks and while they went to a posh school, it was as normal as it could be for princes and William and Kate are doing the same with George and Charlotte.

It's the same with their careers. While most of the royal's had military placement's whether it was Navy, army etc, Harry and William are the only one's who stuck to it all the way through. Could you see Edward flying a rescue helicopter or going to Afghanistan with the army?

The queen however doesn't seem to have changed. I remember watching a clip of the celebration she just had, I think it was her 90th?. Anyway, they were on the balcony and George was a little nervous so William did what any father would do and knelt down to see if he was alright and the queen actually told him off for it and told him to stand back up.
    Could you imagine if you were rescued in a helicopter by Prince William? Most British women would probably put themselves in harm's way if he was going to save them.

I agree about how William and Kate are raising their kids. I think Diana would be thrilled!! She'd also be a fabulous granny.
    Minerva

Could you imagine if you were rescued in a helicopter by Prince William? Most British women would probably put themselves in harm's way if he was going to save them.

I agree about how William and Kate are raising their kids. I think Diana would be thrilled!! She'd also be a fabulous granny.
    There was a story along those lines a few months ago in the paper. There was some incident on some remote road and a driver was injured and they had to keep him conscious while they worked on him before flying him to the hospital so one of the airguys sat by him and in his words 'had a chat about this and that'. It was only when they got him to hospital and settled in the ward and he said he wanted to thank whoever it was for keeping him calm that he found out it was William he had been talking to. He said he had no idea as the guy was just like someone you would talk to in your local pub.

I have to admit and I know I'm probably in the minority here but I've never really saw the appeal or Harry or William. Will was cute when he was younger especially during his crush on Britney years but as we got older (I'm the same age as him) the cuteness went away for me but I can imagine that a lot of women would be in heaven with it.

There was a story along those lines a few months ago in the paper. There was some incident on some remote road and a driver was injured and they had to keep him conscious while they worked on him before flying him to the hospital so one of the airguys sat by him and in his words 'had a chat about this and that'. It was only when they got him to hospital and settled in the ward and he said he wanted to thank whoever it was for keeping him calm that he found out it was William he had been talking to. He said he had no idea as the guy was just like someone you would talk to in your local pub.

I have to admit and I know I'm probably in the minority here but I've never really saw the appeal or Harry or William. Will was cute when he was younger especially during his crush on Britney years but as we got older (I'm the same age as him) the cuteness went away for me but I can imagine that a lot of women would be in heaven with it.
    What a great story!! I've never seen the physical appeal of the Princes but - and don't take this the wrong way - but I've often felt that the British accent pretty much makes most of them seem rather . . . light in the loafers. Even David Beckham the only really attractive Brit (in my opinion). Once he talks its over for me. The fantasy ends. Don't get me wrong, if I were a gay man, I'd probably live in England. Its just doesn't do it for me.
    Minerva

What a great story!! I've never seen the physical appeal of the Princes but - and don't take this the wrong way - but I've often felt that the British accent pretty much makes most of them seem rather . . . light in the loafers. Even David Beckham the only really attractive Brit (in my opinion). Once he talks its over for me. The fantasy ends. Don't get me wrong, if I were a gay man, I'd probably live in England. Its just doesn't do it for me.
    Honest to god, for some reason the really sexy ones with the hottest accents are everyday guys who work in shops/builders etc and it's the so-so/eww one's who get on tv.

It's funny you say that about the accents though because it's reminded me of a conversation I had a few weeks back. I'm not sure if you've ever heard a Scot talking but in some cases, it can be strong and hard to understand even for other Scots yet the minute they go onto a show that's on in other parts of the UK, they tone the accent down and sound nothing like what you would expect. John Barrowman is a perfect example of this. He is from Glasgow so whenever he comes home, he reverts back to his Scottish accent yet if he is interviewed in London, Wales, etc, he goes back to the American accent and it annoys people who say choose one and stick with it. He's not the only one either, there's loads who seem to have started doing this weird drone all of a sudden so I know what you mean.

Honest to god, for some reason the really sexy ones with the hottest accents are everyday guys who work in shops/builders etc and it's the so-so/eww one's who get on tv.

It's funny you say that about the accents though because it's reminded me of a conversation I had a few weeks back. I'm not sure if you've ever heard a Scot talking but in some cases, it can be strong and hard to understand even for other Scots yet the minute they go onto a show that's on in other parts of the UK, they tone the accent down and sound nothing like what you would expect. John Barrowman is a perfect example of this. He is from Glasgow so whenever he comes home, he reverts back to his Scottish accent yet if he is interviewed in London, Wales, etc, he goes back to the American accent and it annoys people who say choose one and stick with it. He's not the only one either, there's loads who seem to have started doing this weird drone all of a sudden so I know what you mean.
    I so agree with you. Lots of my friends in the US have a real thing about British accents and tell me that my accent makes me sound like "a lady", ha! I tell them that when all you hear is Brit accents the novelty soon wears off. Especially given that some regional accents are just awful. Personally I find Northen guys have sexier accents than guys in the South. Though the accent that I personally find attractive is a US Southern drawl.
    McCourt is right about David Beckham though. That man sounds as if he has been sucking on helium every time he opens his mouth. Urgh.

There would be a very unhappy amount of people in the UK if Charles were to become King .It's very hard to like Camilla .

On a lighter note , if I ever screw up I know I could never make an ass of myself as much as Prince Charles saying I want to be your tampon

Quote Originally Posted by artymorty View Post
    There would be a very unhappy amount of people in the UK if Charles were to become King .It's very hard to like Camilla .

On a lighter note , if I ever screw up I know I could never make an ass of myself as much as Prince Charles saying I want to be your tampon
    People are willing to put up with her at the minute but when or if he becomes king, then the knife's will come back out again. I'd put money on it.

I'll say it again; when Charles becomes King, Camilla will be his Queen-Consort. I don't believe he would have it any other way.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

It's hard to understand what Wills and Harry must make of their parents .I mean their father made their mother miserable and he chose an old boot over their beautiful mum.I think people here would rather see the monarchy go than have Charles and horse face in place .But then the Royal Family have fallen from their pedestals quite a bit anyway , with all the divorces and scandals over the years .It's only been old Lizzy holding it together for years anyway - she hasn't been helped by her husband putting his foot in his mouth time after time.
    I was sorry to read the Duke of Westminster had died , only in his 60's too .I met him once and he was very down to earth .

Quote Originally Posted by artymorty View Post
    It's hard to understand what Wills and Harry must make of their parents .I mean their father made their mother miserable and he chose an old boot over their beautiful mum.I think people here would rather see the monarchy go than have Charles and horse face in place .But then the Royal Family have fallen from their pedestals quite a bit anyway , with all the divorces and scandals over the years .It's only been old Lizzy holding it together for years anyway - she hasn't been helped by her husband putting his foot in his mouth time after time.
    I was sorry to read the Duke of Westminster had died , only in his 60's too .I met him once and he was very down to earth .
    I think its hard to criticize someone else's marriage. Lord knows my folks had issues and the best I can do is try and not recreate the same ones in my own marriage. I'd still hate for others to be taking our inventory.
    Minerva

Diana mania as 20th anniversary of death nears

http://www.france24.com/en/20170826-...iversary-looms

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Diana mania as 20th anniversary of death nears

http://www.france24.com/en/20170826-...iversary-looms
    That's all we've had from the start of the month here in the UK and it's only getting worse as the day comes nearer. There are god knows how many programs, special editions of magazines and countless pullouts in papers. You wouldn't mind but the ppl who are calling her the queen of hearts are the one's who literally the day before she died were calling her every name under the sun because she was with Dodi and the rumour was going around she might be pregnant, saying it was unbecoming of a royal and she was a disgrace. Yet as soon as the news came through, it was crocodile tears and she was the best thing that ever happened to them and they could do with taking a leaf out of her book.

That's all we've had from the start of the month here in the UK and it's only getting worse as the day comes nearer. There are god knows how many programs, special editions of magazines and countless pullouts in papers. You wouldn't mind but the ppl who are calling her the queen of hearts are the one's who literally the day before she died were calling her every name under the sun because she was with Dodi and the rumour was going around she might be pregnant, saying it was unbecoming of a royal and she was a disgrace. Yet as soon as the news came through, it was crocodile tears and she was the best thing that ever happened to them and they could do with taking a leaf out of her book.
    It's been the same here in Canada, program after program, at least one a night. I think I can get away saying this because my mum is British, they tend to be a bit wishy washy. But, I suppose we all can be to some extent. I watched one program called Diana 7 Days, and I found the hysteria a little surreal. The media ,of course played it up almost to a fever pitch with their headlines " Where Is Our Queen? " and " Show Us You Care Ma'am ". Frankly, I found that a bit embarrassing they were all walking around wailing and crying until Mummy showed up to change their diapers. They hated her for 6 days, then she shows up and all is well again ! I guess it's a love/hate thing they have always had with this family. What I find amusing is if anyone else dare say anything negative about them they take your head off ! Wishy Washy LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    It's been the same here in Canada, program after program, at least one a night. I think I can get away saying this because my mum is British, they tend to be a bit wishy washy. But, I suppose we all can be to some extent. I watched one program called Diana 7 Days, and I found the hysteria a little surreal. The media ,of course played it up almost to a fever pitch with their headlines " Where Is Our Queen? " and " Show Us You Care Ma'am ". Frankly, I found that a bit embarrassing they were all walking around wailing and crying until Mummy showed up to change their diapers. They hated her for 6 days, then she shows up and all is well again ! I guess it's a love/hate thing they have always had with this family. What I find amusing is if anyone else dare say anything negative about them they take your head off ! Wishy Washy LOL
    It was embarrassing watching some of it to be honest. I remember I was up when the news came on there had been a crash. It was about 2-3am our time maybe but I figured it wasn't serious and went to bed. I got up about 9, turned the TV on and saw the palace was covered with ppl and flowers and realised she must have died. Someone called it mass hysteria..literally ppl crying because everyone else was. There were even ppl complaining they had lost their jobs because they stayed at the palace but thought it was a good enough excuse to stay off and as you say, ppl who never usually gave a crap about them were screaming for them to make an appearance. I don't have time for any of them but I truly think this was one of those times were they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't. Technically speaking, they didn't have to do anything as she was only a royal in name only at that point which the public seemed to have forgotten. Literally on the friday, there was a thing in one of the papers where readers were complaining she shouldn't have the title and priveleges because she wasn't a princess since they had divorced then she died and boom...amnesia time...we've always loved her.

And of course now the whole Charles/Camilla thing is starting up again. There wasa softening of sorts towards her for a while but that's out the window now Saint Diana's back in the news and she's back to being a home wrecker, tart etc who should never be queen and there will be a riot if she is, everyone forgetting Diana wasn't innocent either when she was married. As you saw Wishy washy.

I liked Diana. I thought she was an amazing woman. I also think William is attractive. Harry's ok but to me William got the looks. He looks just like Diana. She would be so proud of them today.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It is a bit crazy isn't it. The shows I have watched portray Charles and Camilla as the devil's agents, and Diana as a saint. I personally liked her, thought she was much more in touch with what was going on in the world. But, she had her down side also. I can't blame her for some things she did, I do think she was used to some extent by them. I'd have been pissed myself. She had a charisma that none of the others have had, and she knew how to use that through her looks and fashion and her causes. I thought near the end of her life she became more beautiful, and I imagine The Royal Family hated that. The spotlight was on her and she worked it beautifully. As for Charles, he has always reminded me of his great uncle The Duke Of Windsor. A complete twit. LOL

Wow twenty years has gone by seems like a flash. I remember that night - it was a Saturday on the Labor Day weekend - we were at my brother's house ( he had twin boys around three months old). We were playing cards (Auction was the game) and hanging out. Around 9:30 my brother went out for food ( I had fish and chips) and then around 10 pm someone turned on the TV and the news broke. CNN was the station. I think she was declared dead shortly after 11pm. We went home after midnight ( I remember carrying my five year old son to the car who had fallen asleep). I remember staying up to around 3 am watching the news. Don't think I was even a death hag back then.

What were you doing when you first heard the news ?? For those old enough to remember.

Last edited by cash; 08-30-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Wow twenty years has gone by seems like a flash. I remember that night - it was a Saturday on the Labor Day weekend - we were at my brother's house ( he had twin boys around three months old). We were playing cards (Auction was the game) and hanging out. Around 9:30 my brother went out for food ( I had fish and chips) and then around 10 pm someone turned on the TV and the news broke. CNN was the station. I think she was declared dead shortly after 11pm. We went home after midnight ( I remember carrying my five year old son to the car who had fallen asleep). I remember staying up to around 3 am watching the news. Don't think I was even a death hag back then.

What were you doing when you first heard the news ?? For those old enough to remember.
    I was sixteen when it happened. It was Sunday morning maybe about 2/3 am here in the UK. I was staying at my aunt's watching some late night TV and a special report came on saying there had been an accident and Diana was involved. I watched for about 30 mins but at the time, it wasn't classed as serious. They said there was reports she was hurt but it wasn't life threatening so I went to bed. My aunt woke me up the next morning saying she was dead. Because I was a teenager at the time, she didn't really mean much to me but for some reason, I spent the next few days watching nothing but the news channels as Charles went to France to identify her, then her body being brought back to the UK. It was non stop for nearly two weeks with even radio stations stopping their regular programs.

That would have been around 5:30 P.M. Friday in Oklahoma when that happened. Probably caught it on the Evening News. Here is a nice World Time Converter if you want to see the exact time it happened where you were living at that moment. http://www.timebie.com/index.php
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

I was going to my parents for the Labor Day weekend with my brother. I called my Mum to tell her we were on our way from Toronto, she told me what had happened. She said Dodi was dead, but as far as what was being reported Diana was injured, but it didn't appear to be life threatening. My Dad was outside when we got there and I asked how Diana was, he said " She's gone". I was up all night watching CNN. I don't remember to much of the week leading up to the funeral, had lunch with friends and that was one of the topics of course. We all watched the service from a friend's place.

I don't remember what we were watching on TV or what channel. But it was weird that the first announcement made it sound, well serious but survivable, then boom! She was dead-- then it was later said that she was pretty much a goner from the get-go. I thought, it was soooo... unnecessary. Did they really HAVE to go into that tunnel? (A flashback to Princess Grace's crash death, where also everything that could go wrong, did.) Then the endless loop of the hotel security camera-- if the driver was so intoxicated, he sure didn't show it at that time. Things that make you go "Hmmm..."

Then the surreal weirdness of watching Diana's massive funeral one week, and Mother Teresa's (another controversial figure in retrospect, and who had been visited by Diana several months prior) relatively simple, open-casketed one, the next week.

I will always love and remember Diana... although she was certainly not perfect, she was a truly beautiful soul. XO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

I've watched a few programs that showed the CCTV footage from all perspectives. If he was as intoxicated as they say, he wouldn't be able to stand, let alone drive. He looks perfectly in control in the security footage. I too go "Hmmm..." It's the one thing that seems off to me.

RIP Princess Diana
    GOD IS NOT DEAD