Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie Mercury

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I expect he was just too busy. Major Orthodontic work involves quite a few regular sittings based upon a schedule. If you are touring, have media appointments etc then it can be difficult. However Keith Richards obviously found the time.
    Keith's teeth also rotted out from his years of heroin abuse. i'm sure that had something to do with it.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    my vote would go to George Michael.
    George Michael did an AMAZING job on Somebody To Love at the Freddie tribute concert. I could honestly see him doing an all Queen covers album, and ROCKING it. i'm not a big fan of his music. but that man has the chops. that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    George Michael did an AMAZING job on Somebody To Love at the Freddie tribute concert. I could honestly see him doing an all Queen covers album, and ROCKING it. i'm not a big fan of his music. but that man has the chops. that's for sure.
    Yup, the only one that day that came close.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    well, I think Annie Lennox and Bowie did a great Under Pressure. Annie can hold her own too. so, those 2 songs REALLY stood out for me that day. I still remember the goose bumps going when I heard those songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    well, I think Annie Lennox and Bowie did a great Under Pressure. Annie can hold her own too. so, those 2 songs REALLY stood out for me that day. I still remember the goose bumps going when I heard those songs.
    Yeah Bowie being one of the original singers of the song and Lenox being a female and able to hit Mercury's notes... that one was good as well.

lois steeme Guest
    Really? Freddie died November 24, 1991 (the same day as Eric Carr from kiss).
    EEK! November 24 was my parents' wedding anniversary....

There was no one like Freddie. I hope he's on the other side drinking g&ts with me ol' sainted mum, regaling her with tales about his life!

My mum passed in '76, but at least she got to listen to "Night At The Opera" and some other Queen music before she did.

knothere Guest
    kieth richerds has a bussiness degree n marketing degree from a university he s not as stupid as he looks

Totally agree - i found it heart breaking when they had fred come onto the screen doing his crowd cheers - the way the audience reacted...it was sad that you knew he was gone. That man knew how to make a crowd react.

Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post
    Totally agree - i found it heart breaking when they had fred come onto the screen doing his crowd cheers - the way the audience reacted...it was sad that you knew he was gone. That man knew how to make a crowd react.
    yeah I know... shit you want sad, click on the link I posted at the beginning of this thread. That was at the Queen and Paul Rogers concert... they have Freddie playing and singing with the rest of em from 2005 accompanying him.

That really annoys me. Who wants to see Paul Rogers when a old video of Freddie out shines easily? Thats part of the reason why i hate we will rock you. Its meant to be a musical involving queen songs so WHY is there a giant gold statue of freddie outside the theatre & why is his voice used in part of the show? Maybe i like freddie too much but i feel roger & brian need to either do a tour with freddie on the big screen (like what they do with elvis or sinatra) or start fresh with a new group,
    Stop abusing the greatness that is freddie!

RoRo Guest
    hrhdiesel I totally agree!!! NO ONE can ever be as great as Freddy was and I don't even want to see someone try to take his place!
    I bought the dvd of the tribute show but there's no way I will buy any Queen music without Freddy...it just isn't Queen and the remaining members can fool themselves anyway they want, but they can't fool me...Freddy basically WAS Queen!

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Freddy basically WAS Queen!
    He wore the crown well eh! I loved the end of the concert when he would walk with his crown & cape! Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    hrhdiesel I totally agree!!! NO ONE can ever be as great as Freddy was and I don't even want to see someone try to take his place!
    I bought the dvd of the tribute show but there's no way I will buy any Queen music without Freddy...it just isn't Queen and the remaining members can fool themselves anyway they want, but they can't fool me...Freddy basically WAS Queen!
    If you haven't already you should pick up the "Queen Rock Montreal" DVD... it's the best picture and sound I have ever heard of that concert. Watched it last night with my GF and I was really blown away by the quality. Although that concert was tampered with (overdubs, etc..) in order to make it as perfect as they could it's an awesome example of Queen live.

That really annoys me. Who wants to see Paul Rogers when a old video of Freddie out shines easily? Thats part of the reason why i hate we will rock you. Its meant to be a musical involving queen songs so WHY is there a giant gold statue of freddie outside the theatre & why is his voice used in part of the show? Maybe i like freddie too much but i feel roger & brian need to either do a tour with freddie on the big screen (like what they do with elvis or sinatra) or start fresh with a new group,
    Stop abusing the greatness that is freddie!
    I agree with you to an extent. Freddie's voice is definitely what tells your ears that you are listening to Queen but in my opinion Queen were the one band on the planet that each member contributed equally to its success. The proof is that each member contributed number 1 hits to the bands history as well as each member not doing nearly as successful on their own as they did as a unit. Now if Freddie never met Brian or Roger we probably wouldn't know who Brian or Roger were... but they did meet and they each had a heavy hand in the success of Queen.

Also, I've said this before but it was probably lost in the shuffle of posts... I personally don't have a problem with Brian and Roger using the Queen catalog for their living and I have a feeling Freddie doesn't either. I have read that Freddie considered himself a business man before anything else and Queen were in fact a business that was broken up into 4 ways. John Deacon owns 25% and gives Brian and Roger his blessing on all the projects they have been working on and Freddie not feeling he was the leader and knowing he only owned 25% of Queen would (most likely) have done the same thing. I don't think it's disrespectful at all since Brian and Roger busted their asses for the Queen name they should be reaping all of the rewards they can while there is an interest.

I can respect and appreciate anybody feeling it is in poor taste, etc... but the above are my opinions on the subject not to be stated as fact.
    Last edited by Jason; 01-02-2008 at 08:40 AM.

I agree with you to an extent. Freddie's voice is definitely what tells your ears that you are listening to Queen but in my opinion Queen were the one band on the planet that each member contributed equally to its success. The proof is that each member contributed number 1 hits to the bands history as well as each member not doing nearly as successful on their own as they did as a unit. Now if Freddie never met Brian or Roger we probably wouldn't know who Brian or Roger were... but they did meet and they each had a heavy hand in the success of Queen.

Also, I've said this before but it was probably lost in the shuffle of posts... I personally don't have a problem with Brian and Roger using the Queen catalog for their living and I have a feeling Freddie doesn't either. I have read that Freddie considered himself a business man before anything else and Queen were in fact a business that was broken up into 4 ways. John Deacon owns 25% and gives Brian and Roger his blessing on all the projects they have been working on and Freddie not feeling he was the leader and knowing he only owned 25% of Queen would (most likely) have done the same thing. I don't think it's disrespectful at all since Brian and Roger busted their asses for the Queen name they should be reaping all of the rewards they can while there is an interest
    Good point = i agree with the fact that each member did contribute towards queens sound as well as the music itself! Would there be another one bites the dust without john deacons bass? We will rock you with rogers drumming or pratically any tune without Brians fantastic guitar work.

My problem with roger & brian is the way they do it. Im happy for them to promote queens music but why not do it with a freddie on a screen? If you are having a new member then why still use freddie like that? If there is any bad remix of a queen tune then instantly roger & brian are in the video pratically whoring themselves (a certain pepsi ad comes to mind as well!)

Good point = i agree with the fact that each member did contribute towards queens sound as well as the music itself! Would there be another one bites the dust without john deacons bass? We will rock you with rogers drumming or pratically any tune without Brians fantastic guitar work.

My problem with roger & brian is the way they do it. Im happy for them to promote queens music but why not do it with a freddie on a screen? If you are having a new member then why still use freddie like that? If there is any bad remix of a queen tune then instantly roger & brian are in the video pratically whoring themselves (a certain pepsi ad comes to mind as well!)
    I hear ya... I guess they feel more excitement from keeping it fresh in the current years then to just go over the same version with a projected Mercury. Personally I thought it was awesome that they had Freddie doing Bohemian Rhapsody when I went to see them in 2005... I thought that made the show. It did feel like I wasn't really seeing Queen though, I never bought Paul Rogers in that role for a second but I also never felt he was trying to be Freddie which was nice. I guess I can easily separate Queen pre 1991 from the Queen of today because no matter who they put on that stage and no matter what versions of the songs they put out now nobody on this planet will ever replace or come close to Freddie Mercury, so in a way it's almost like a Queen cover band that 2 of the original members are actually in.

I hear ya... I guess they feel more excitement from keeping it fresh in the current years then to just go over the same version with a projected Mercury. Personally I thought it was awesome that they had Freddie doing Bohemian Rhapsody when I went to see them in 2005... I thought that made the show. It did feel like I wasn't really seeing Queen though, I never bought Paul Rogers in that role for a second but I also never felt he was trying to be Freddie which was nice.
    Its sad to think that a taped freddie makes the show over a live band. I still think they will do their own finding a singer show like they did with inxs.

Its sad to think that a taped freddie makes the show over a live band. I still think they will do their own finding a singer show like they did with inxs.
    man that would suck if they did that. I wouldn't be able to watch it... I also don't think I will be seeing them again, I just had to experience seeing Brian and Roger and hearing Queen songs in a stadium as I never got to see them when Freddie was around.

magblax Guest
    man that would suck if they did that. I wouldn't be able to watch it... I also don't think I will be seeing them again, I just had to experience seeing Brian and Roger and hearing Queen songs in a stadium as I never got to see them when Freddie was around.

What if this guy was the lead singer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJKZUE33Mk4

Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    What if this guy was the lead singer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJKZUE33Mk4
    Then I would stand corrected because this guy obviously kicks Freddie Mercury's ASS!!!

magblax Guest
    Then I would stand corrected because this guy obviously kicks Freddie Mercury's ASS!!!
    LOL!!

Lisamarie Guest
    Oh Jason the more I read ... the more I fall in love with you......our love for Freddie..our death hag hobby....what a dream boat! Dear Freddie....I miss him so much more than words could ever say.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Oh Jason the more I read ... the more I fall in love with you......our love for Freddie..our death hag hobby....what a dream boat! Dear Freddie....I miss him so much more than words could ever say.
    aww shucks

Snoopy Guest
    I totally agree Jason..that really was sad..Freddie was such an amazing showman..I was lucky enough to get to see him shine in concert. Funny thing is I wasn't a big fan until the day my friend showed up with tickets to see Queen..4th row from the stage!..I was a fan after that believe me!

woah.... I envy you!!!! which concert was it (year, venue, tour?)

I miss Freddie, too, having been a fan since 1980. Is it me, or is Brian May doing all these publicity whoring stunts to try to compensate for the spotlight he didn't get (in his opinion, just a guess) when Freddie was alive? Whenever I watch the DVDs I have of Queen videos or the ones in the Mercury Collection set, I never fail to think of what a brilliant showman Freddie was.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    I miss Freddie, too, having been a fan since 1980. Is it me, or is Brian May doing all these publicity whoring stunts to try to compensate for the spotlight he didn't get (in his opinion, just a guess) when Freddie was alive? Whenever I watch the DVDs I have of Queen videos or the ones in the Mercury Collection set, I never fail to think of what a brilliant showman Freddie was.
    You may be on to something as Roger and Brian were both out shined while Freddie was on stage. I think they are smart enough to realize Queen will never be what it once was and they are just using the name to attract an audience while they can still rock n' roll while they can.

They both tried to do different stuff outside of Queen both during and post Queen and none of it ever sparked an interest from the public, Queens music is the only shot they have at a career in 2008.

They both tried to do different stuff outside of Queen both during and post Queen and none of it ever sparked an interest from the public, Queens music is the only shot they have at a career in 2008.
    Lets be honest...their singing voices arent the best!

Lets be honest...their singing voices arent the best!
    When I first got into Queen I despised their singing voices. I do like Brian's voice on '39 and Good Company. Rogers voice, well... I like his songwriting better.

When I first got into Queen I despised their singing voices. I do like Brian's voice on '39 and Good Company. Rogers voice, well... I like his songwriting better.
    Theres me thinking you prefered brians epic song that was also used for a comercial with ford..."every thing we do is driven by you!"
    Rogers voice is....(trying to be kind here..) er...different - its hard to believe he has had some albums out!

Well in all fairness Rod Stewart sells records... I don't see why Roger couldn't. As I said prior... if not for Freddie we wouldn't even know who Brian, Roger or John were, but that's stating the obvious

Songs Where Roger Sounds Alright:
    Drowse
    Action This Day
    Don't Lose Your Head
    Coming Soon
    Hijack My Heart

Brian Sounds Alright:
    '39
    Good Company

what's your vote?

Lisamarie Guest
    Oh come one how about Roger in Im in love with my car.....I got a feel for my automobile....classic !!! Its a total love song to his car!! Love it .....and dose anyone else think Roger looked hot as a girl in the save me video?? I mean jeesh he looked better than me!

dont lose your head! i agree on that one - hate hearing Roger at any live concerts!
    Brian....i suppose good company.

Since john hasnt been brave enough to release his own records...best bass another one bites the dust or under pressure (yeah i know i gave votes for commercial hits!)

Oh come one how about Roger in Im in love with my car.....I got a feel for my automobile....classic !!! Its a total love song to his car!! Love it .....and dose anyone else think Roger looked hot as a girl in the save me video?? I mean jeesh he looked better than me!
    so he didnt do it for you in i want to break free video or freddies solo hit great pretender!

Lisa... it was I want to break free and NO COMMENT . Also, I'm in love with my car is a good song but mainly because of the arrangement and Brians counter riffs to Rogers melody (imo). I personally don't like Rogers voice on that song.

dont lose your head! i agree on that one - hate hearing Roger at any live concerts!
    Brian....i suppose good company.

Since john hasnt been brave enough to release his own records...best bass another one bites the dust or under pressure (yeah i know i gave votes for commercial hits!)
    You should check out the new release of Queen Rock Montreal... they remixed the audio so now you REALLY hear Brian and Roger harmonizing with Freddie.

John Best Bass:
    You're my best friend (really listen to the bass, it's nuts)
    Liar (especially live)
    We Are the champions (I love what he is doing on the upper registers)

Lisamarie Guest
    No I loved both!! I just think Roger was a hot girl! When dressed as one...I love that Freddie still wore is moustach ! And he was a bit of the whore in the video!! I can relate to the break free video when he has the opera part were they are passing Freddie around in the spandex cat suit and he cuts back to himself in drag pushing the vacume and says but life still goes on.....I think thats what he sings ...anyway love that. Great pretender.....God.....love it!

36. 01-03-2008, 03:28 PM

You should check out the new release of Queen Rock Montreal... they remixed the audio so now you REALLY hear Brian and Roger harmonizing with Freddie.

John Best Bass:
    You're my best friend (really listen to the bass, it's nuts)
    Liar (especially live)
    We Are the champions (I love what he is doing on the upper registers)
    do i really want to hear those 2?? hmmmmmm I will listen to your my best friend again - i know there is another tune but for the life of me i cant remember it!

I also mentioned: Dragon Attack and Staying Power but my internet got screwy.

Anyway, yeah the new mix on the Montreal concert is awesome. You really hear a lot of stuff that was buried or taken out previously.

when he has the opera part were they are passing Freddie around in the spandex cat suit
    Wasnt he involved with a ballet at the time?? Who can forget that suit...skin tight to say the least!!!

Did you guys in the us get the remix of Freddies solo song - living on my own?? just wondered how it did out there as it went to number 1 here.

No I loved both!! I just think Roger was a hot girl! When dressed as one...I love that Freddie still wore is moustach ! And he was a bit of the whore in the video!! I can relate to the break free video when he has the opera part were they are passing Freddie around in the spandex cat suit and he cuts back to himself in drag pushing the vacume and says but life still goes on.....I think thats what he sings ...anyway love that. Great pretender.....God.....love it!
    Yeah, that is actually one of the better Queen videos. For the most part I was rather disappointed with their videos. They could have done so much better on most of them (especially the ones where they just sing on stage to the song).

Best Queen Videos (imo)
    I want to break free
    Break Thru
    Radio Ga Ga
    It's a hard life

Did you guys in the us get the remix of Freddies solo song - living on my own?? just wondered how it did out there as it went to number 1 here.
    Yeah I prefer that to the original... it's actually on the Greatest Hits III if I'm not mistaken. Not sure how it did, does well in my ipod though

Reecy Guest
    Today I heard We are the champions......... I almost busted out crying.

Layla331 Guest
    I was a queen fan..and love freddie..he was different and such a performer..you could tell when he was on stage..it was where he wanted to be and his whole heart was there just to make you happy...i just saw a documentary on him..and i just wish he could be here now when being gay isnt such a stigma..ok heres a question may be stupid..but im going to ask..where did the band name come from..ive heard everything from the Queen of England..to Queen as in gay but i never knew what the truth was..so im throwin it out there...btw Happy 2008 all

I got this from the DVD about Freddie Mercury that was included in the Mercury Collection. Freddie named the band Queen because he said it had a regal sound. BTW, he also designed the "Q" logo with the bandmembers' astrological signs decorating it. The Phoenix was the symbol used at the boarding school he attended in Panchgani, India.
    Please excuse the flood of info., once I start writing or talking about Freddie, it just pours out.

God help me, but when I saw the title for Brian May's book about the universe,Bang, I thought of a quote from Freddie that was made during a recording session,
    "I can make a much bigger bang than that, dear!"

Another song where Brian sounds pretty good is appropriate for this forum, "All Dead."

Lisa, have you seen the behind-the-scenes version of "Great Pretender" ? Freddie is getting dressed and a woman is putting a bra on him that's appropriately padded. He takes one look in the mirror and declares, "I'm Jayne Mansfield!"

crimson and clover Guest
    How about Long Away from Day at the Races?

Best Queen Videos (imo)
    I want to break free
    Break Thru
    Radio Ga Ga
    It's a hard life
    hmmmm I agree with i want to break free as all members are equally funny - love john as the old granny!
    Break thru- is that the one on the top of a steam train?
    Radio Ga Ga - the famous metropolis spin off featuring the infamous hitler salute (silly really!)
    Its a hard life - thats the one with the red costume with all the eyes - very ott - very freddie!

Dont you like its a kind of magic! That was a fun video!
    I didnt mind im going slightly mad...yes freddie was frail by that video but he was having fun!
    Princes of the universe - when freddie was fighting highlander with his mike!
    I even enjoyed the miracle with the kids pretending to be queen!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    God help me, but when I saw the title for Brian May's book about the universe,Bang, I thought of a quote from Freddie that was made during a recording session,
    "I can make a much bigger bang than that, dear!"
    Thats classic freddie!

Lisamarie Guest
    I think he was involved with a ballet dancer!!! hahahah!! I love Living on my own! Is that the one with footage from a costume party Freddie had?? Love the song!! Can you imagine going to a party thrown by Freddie and it being a costume party at that...aaahhhh if only! Get out my assless chaps!