Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV shows that ran too long.

Evilfurnaceman Guest

TV shows that ran too long.

There is a thread about shows that died too soon, so, being the dingaling I am, I thought I would do the reverse.

Archie Bunker. They should have ended it when Meathead and Gloria left.

Facts of Life. Two or three seasons was enough.

Happy Days should have ended when Ron Howard left.

Laverne and Shirley should have ended when Cindy Williams left.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire? (primetime). The all celebrity version did it in.

The Smurfs should have never seen the light of day.

Scooby-Doo. See Smurfs. I absolutely hate SD. My whiner brother absolutely had to see this waste of tape. Since I was not the favorite, I lost the TV battle. If I hit the lottery, I will buy the rights and personally destroy all tapes and any evidence of SD. I would do the same to the smurfs.

Match Game 98. All I can say is a good host never "sushies" the panel. This version should be wiped.

3's A Crowd (game show). Should have never seen the light of day, much less a pilot.

Diff'rent Strokes should have been cancelled long before they had Mr. Drummond remarry. Adding little kids is usually fatal to a program. This is a lesson that nobody has ever learned. Archie Bunker is another example.

More to come.

Didnt MASH last longer than the Korean War?
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Chevyheaven Guest
    The Tom Green Show.. The most unfunny guy I have ever seen.

THE JERRY SPRINGER SHOW!!

When when they started Ednas Edibles it was bad enough but then they turned it into Over Our Heads (A lame Spencers ripoff) after Ednas burnt down (or was that Als Diner) it just got tacky.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Guest Guest
    Anybody remember the mushroom head cousin with glasses they brought in there at the end on the Brady Bunch? I believe he was Warren.

smellslikealmonds Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by biguncfan View Post
    Anybody remember the mushroom head cousin with glasses they brought in there at the end on the Brady Bunch? I believe he was Warren.
    Oliver.

Cousin Oliver.

Cathy J. Guest
    The Simpsons should have ended a few years ago. Its just not as funny as it used to be. But I have heard that ( and The Family Guy ) are two shows FOX will NOT cancel reguardless of ratings.

Guest Guest
    Yep Oliver.

Guest Guest
    When Andy Griffith lost Barney and Gomer..............down the tubes. Basically any Andy in color sucked.

EagleEye Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilfurnaceman View Post
    There is a thread about shows that died too soon, so, being the dingaling I am, I thought I would do the reverse.
    I disagree with you on all but one of your statements. You are indeed a dingaling.

Yeah The Simpsons totally sucks now. I dont even watch the new eps most of the time.

Good Times went on a few seasons too long. The football star moves into the ghetto with them?

Guest Guest
    Saturday Night Live....not good since the mid-90's except sparingly.

Saturday Night Live....not good since the mid-90's except sparingly.
    Thank you! They havent had a good cast since Phil Hartman was on there.

Guest Guest
    Roseanne.......didn't they write Goodman's part either cheating on her or killing him off? I think both.

interesting. There is a parody of Ednas Edibles on Robot Chicken right now where Edna poisons all the girls. Too cool!

smellslikealmonds Guest
    Seinfeld.

deathybrad Guest
    Family Matters?

Mach2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    I enjoyed the episodes with Colonel Flag the CID guy. Or wasn't that the CIA he was in?

Guest Guest
    Regis and..........well anybody
    Oprah
    Jerry Springer

Seagorath Guest
    Cheers...a great show...but after the 2,998,999th episode it really started to get on my nerves. Hell, I didn't even watch the show, but knew everything about it because it was on tv all the fuckin' time!

Bleedstreet Guest
    Bill Orielly No spin zone......and anything else on FAUX NEWZ

Cadence71 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    The Tom Green Show.. The most unfunny guy I have ever seen.
    I agree with you on that one. Cannot STAND the guy.

Mach2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedstreet View Post
    Bill Orielly No spin zone......and anything else on FAUX NEWZ
    I completely disagree with you. His is the only show of that type that is any good. I just dont understand why there are so many of that type show on cable. You have 5 networks that each do three one hour opinion-news shows in a row each night. They all cover the McCain-Obama and Jon Benet Ramsey stuff.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Roseanne.......didn't they write Goodman's part either cheating on her or killing him off? I think both.
    She really screwed up that last season, I loved that show, watched it every week, and then that last season just left a bad taste. Too bad, I don't think too many shows have captured the true spirit of the (modern) American family like that one did...until that last year anyway.
    Great cast too, Goodman, Estelle Parsons, Shelly Winters, Ned Beatty, that list goes on and on. She had real lightning in a bottle there for awhile.

lostsoul23 Guest
    Oh yeah, something like 11 years.

For me - ER, the current version. That should have died a long time ago. Enough already.

Your right. ER nuked the fridge years ago. Thank goodness this next season is the last.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    She really screwed up that last season, I loved that show, watched it every week, and then that last season just left a bad taste. Too bad, I don't think too many shows have captured the true spirit of the (modern) American family like that one did...until that last year anyway.
    Great cast too, Goodman, Estelle Parsons, Shelly Winters, Ned Beatty, that list goes on and on. She had real lightning in a bottle there for awhile.
    And I got all the seasons on DVD!

Snoopy Guest
    When when they started Ednas Edibles it was bad enough but then they turned it into Over Our Heads (A lame Spencers ripoff) after Ednas burnt down (or was that Als Diner) it just got tacky.
    Yup Al's Diner did burn down then they rebuilt it..I agree Happy days should have ended when Ritchie left.

Snoopy Guest
    I think he had a heart attack went away for Rehab or something.. came back they hit the lottery and then the show just got ridiculous..the end was weird..it went back to how Roseanne's character wanted to be a writer..and it turned out Goodman's character really died and the show was her writings on how life would have been had he lived or something like that.

Maruz83 Guest
    Save by the Bell !!!!!! No need for the college years !!!

hoxharding Guest
    OK-this can be hotly debated-but '21 Jump Street'(which I just got the first dvd disk from Green cine today)
    The reason I say this is when it went to strictly syndication and almost everyone on it were people who were new. I think the heartthrob of the group was played by Michael Bendetti.
    Sure, he went on to be in 'Amanda and the Alien' and 'Netherworld'
    Michael was (and might still be) hot. He had Johnny Depp-like looks

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionC...9521/mbio.html
    Those feature old pics of him
    Yet, did many people watch the show when he was on? Did anyone know it was on? I didn't realize it until like halfway through that year and I forgot like a few weeks after.

It stayed not too long in actual time,but it was milked way to long.

Forever-27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    The Simpsons should have ended a few years ago. Its just not as funny as it used to be. But I have heard that ( and The Family Guy ) are two shows FOX will NOT cancel reguardless of ratings.

Alot of people wrote in asked wtf happened to Family Guy after fox cancelled it. The mob had spoken so it was renewed. Adult Swim and TBS show the show and get rave reviews for it. Family Guy was replaced with .... geeze was it American Dad ?? I dont remember now, but it didnt have the public screaming for more like Family Guy did. Who would have guessed that some damily from massachuttes with a talking dog as a pet and a baby with a british accent wanting death on his mother and world domination could be funny. But it is. I watch it every week.

The Simpsons are going on its 20th year. As the shows progressed Homer has gotton dumber.

hoxharding Guest
    They should of ended The Facts of Life before Natalie had sex and got married.
    They Facts of Life tv-movie(was there more than one) were bad. I was so excited to see a reunion show and I turned it off.

Littleroben Guest
    I love Family Guy, few series that should have ended sooner - Moonlighting, The Nanny, Friends, X Files.

Much as I loved them when they were on the stories got really weak towards the end.

xenaswolf Guest
    Yeah, but Jo was in the prime of her baby butchness then! Hubba Hubba!

Jazbabee Guest
    Yikes.....that was Cousin Oliver .....what a disaster !!!!

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    There is a term used for the phenomena you're talking about in television shows...

They call it "Jumping the Shark".

A show has jumped the shark when it's reached it's peak, and then does something to try and keep itself afloat.

This website has been very entertaining to me at times...

Check it out!

http://www.jumptheshark.com/index.jspa

WendyK Guest

I think Dan had a heart attack and died, and then she won the lotto or something like that. I just watched to some Roseanne reruns this morning, I just love her wit!

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxofpandoraz View Post
    There is a term used for the phenomena you're talking about in television shows...

A show has jumped the shark when it's reached it's peak, and then does something to try and keep itself afloat.

Check it out!

Yep. It is called this because Happy Days is said to have "jumped the shark" when Fonzie literally jumped over sharks on water skis.

Roveredo Guest
    Diff'rent Strokes "jumped the shark" when they fired Dana Plato and added that little annoying ginger kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxofpandoraz View Post

Check it out!

There is also a thread on the forum called Jump The Shark:
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...=jumping+shark

WendyK Guest
    I will admitt I am a Wheel of Fortune addict....

But Pat is getting very scenial ( sp) and they either need to put an end to the show or get some new hosts. Vanna don't look to bad even in HD, but Pat's mind is going...and being a faithful watcher I am 100 % on my assements.

Martini M. Guest
    I HATED that ginger kid on Diffrent Strokes. It's so irrational to hate a child, I know, but man, that kid GRATED. I do wonder what he looks like now.

I think Roseanne ran at least two seasons too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini M. View Post
    I HATED that ginger kid on Diffrent Strokes. It's so irrational to hate a child, I know, but man, that kid GRATED. I do wonder what he looks like now.

I think Roseanne ran at least two seasons too many.
    Danny Cooksey.
    Heres his page (with pic)
    http://koopatroopa.tripod.com/dannyc.html
    and more info
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0177528/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Cooksey
    I just looked this stuff up right now Im not a fan.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Jerry Springer Show
    Oprah Winfrey Show

Martini M. Guest
    Danny Cooksey.
    Heres his page (with pic)
    http://koopatroopa.tripod.com/dannyc.html
    and more info
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0177528/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Cooksey
    I just looked this stuff up right now Im not a fan.
    Wow, thanks!

Yep, I still want to kick him.

Aardvarkian Guest
    My Mother the Car with Jerry Van Dyke. This piece of garbage actually lasted one painful year!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220px-63-17017.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	6875  

Quote Originally Posted by Martini M. View Post
    Wow, thanks!

Yep, I still want to kick him.
    Yeah we was fuckin annoying, esp with that flaming red bowl haircut!