Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnny Cash

My username is inspired by Mr. Cash.

mel306 Guest
    I took in a foster cat once and the owner was telling me how he named his kid after Johnny Cash and all these things. I knew who Johnny Cash was, but I knew nothing about him.

Since then I have read several biographies and all the books he wrote. The one his first wife wrote was pretty interesting. It states June was on drugs in the 60s too. If you think about how all their kids turned out, it makes the most sence.

Johnny's last public performance dated July 5/03. He died Sept 12/03. Painful to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYFmQK2nOoU

Bayou Voodoo Guest

For the Johnny Cash fans

I got goosebumps when I heard this kid sing...he's only 15 years old!

http://www.katu.com/home/video/11944...?video=pop&t=a

I've heard him. While he sort of sounds like Johnny - he's isn't him...

Bayou Voodoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I've heard him. While he sort of sounds like Johnny - he's isn't him...
    Of course not....no one will ever "be" anyone else, but I do think he sounds a lot like JC when he was younger. I can only imagine how he will sound after a few years, assuming his voice doesn't change for the worst. lol

Boy has a nice voice. Even dressed the part.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

What a great voice! I'm impressed!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

cynnbox Guest
    sounds like him....so young!

mel306 Guest
    i had a hard time watching and listening. The voice doesn't really match the face. But he sounds great.

Xtine Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mel306 View Post
    i had a hard time watching and listening. The voice doesn't really match the face. But he sounds great.
    exactly! but it is weird listening to him.
    hope the kid makes something of himself!

pvezz Guest
    Wow! That voice coming out of that mouth! He's GOOD!

I've been watching videos of him on YouTube, his original songs are good, too. Very old school country. He looks like a young Ritchie Valens and sounds like a young Johnny Cash. That voice gives me goosebumps, too!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Holy shit Batman! He does sound like Johnny! Fun find Nessa, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Holy shit Batman! He does sound like Johnny! Fun find Nessa, thanks

Bayou found him! Kudos to her!

- R.H. Sin

Whoopsy doodle, lol. Nice find BV.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Whoopsy doodle, lol. Nice find BV.
    LMAO @ 'whoopsy doodle'.

- R.H. Sin

Here's a great video of Johnny doing 'Walk the Line' on the Tex Ritter show, in 1956. He was 23 years old at the time, I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEV58...eature=related

- R.H. Sin

I loved that...so poignant. It's sad to see something with so much history go, beyond sad even. In the pictures of the destruction, I can almost see Johnny and June like in a slow motion movie flashback, moving amongst the rubble. Talk about a couple with an amazing life story. When June died, I just know that Johnny wasn't far behind. I grew up with my dad listening to Johnny. I was my dad's 'boy named Sue...'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

Guest Guest
    Johnny's first wife Vivian died May 23, 2008... sadly we never heard anything on the news

Guest Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD2UDVF2xr4

John and June on Flip Wilson's show
    Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2008 at 05:42 AM.

BamaDeathHag Guest
    Has anybody read Johnny's first wife's Vivian Cashs' book, Walk The Line? I thought it was intertesting

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaDeathHag View Post
    Has anybody read Johnny's first wife's Vivian Cashs' book, Walk The Line? I thought it was intertesting
    I hadn't realized she wrote a book. I bet it is interesting.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I thought this was interesting & says something about him & his need for June.

http://nashville.about.com/od/countr...ktheline_2.htm

The image that most have of Cash is a figure larger than life. In 2000, Phoenix was in a film opposite Russell Crowe - "Gladiator." Cash admired the performance Phoenix gave and expressed his admiration by inviting the actor over for dinner.

Following dinner, as he picked up his guitar, Cash said that he wanted to wait for June so he could get his nerve up before singing himself. That vulnerability comes through in Phoenix's performance of Cash on film and is the way he chose to present Cash to the viewing audience. That vulnerable side causes one to realize why Carter chose to not walk away from Cash when she very well could have.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I thought this was interesting & says something about him & his need for June.

http://nashville.about.com/od/countr...ktheline_2.htm

The image that most have of Cash is a figure larger than life. In 2000, Phoenix was in a film opposite Russell Crowe - "Gladiator." Cash admired the performance Phoenix gave and expressed his admiration by inviting the actor over for dinner.

Following dinner, as he picked up his guitar, Cash said that he wanted to wait for June so he could get his nerve up before singing himself. That vulnerability comes through in Phoenix's performance of Cash on film and is the way he chose to present Cash to the viewing audience. That vulnerable side causes one to realize why Carter chose to not walk away from Cash when she very well could have.

I really wanted Joachim to win the Oscar for this performance....

Nicki Guest
    Interesting website by their son John Carter Cash.

http://www.johncartercash.com/Welcome/Welcome.html

Guest Guest
    thanks Nicki...... I never knew John Carter Cash was a grammy winner..

**Jenna** Guest
    RIP Mr Cash

rickenbacker Guest
    I was so, so skeptical about that movie. I saw it, and it blew me away. Joaquin Phoenix did such a good job of mimicking Johnny's early style. My brother thought he "looked up" too much. So, I found a clip of Johnny on youtube, circa '56...and there Johnny was, doing the same thing. The guy playing Luther Perkins (guitar player) was excellent too.

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    I was so, so skeptical about that movie. I saw it, and it blew me away. Joaquin Phoenix did such a good job of mimicking Johnny's early style. My brother thought he "looked up" too much. So, I found a clip of Johnny on youtube, circa '56...and there Johnny was, doing the same thing. The guy playing Luther Perkins (guitar player) was excellent too.
    I was too,and yeah saw it and liked it.

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    I've always wondered about Vivian Cash. Johnny doesn't really talk too much about her in either of his autobiographies. With John Carter Cash as one of the executive producer of "Walk The Line", I wondered if that movie portrayed her accurately. To me, the movie makes her out to be a shrew, who didn't approve of her husband's choice of a career, and didn't think he'd make it very far. Then when he is sucessful, she still belittles him, while enjoying the opulent lifestyle he's providing for her. Is there another side to this story? I read when "Walk The Line" first came out, that one of Johnny and Vivian's daughters walked out of the theater, because the movie portrayed her mom in such a bad light.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

leeny994 Guest
    Vivian wrote a book---about Johnny
    i never read it... i know she died of lung cancer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivian_Liberto

she was quite pretty---but I think Johnny and June---it was just meant to be

RaRaRamona Guest
    [quote="What Tha....?";428737]I've always wondered about Vivian Cash. Johnny doesn't really talk too much about her in either of his autobiographies. With John Carter Cash as one of the executive producer of "Walk The Line", I wondered if that movie portrayed her accurately. To me, the movie makes her out to be a shrew, who didn't approve of her husband's choice of a career, and didn't think he'd make it very far. Then when he is sucessful, she still belittles him, while enjoying the opulent lifestyle he's providing for her. Is there another side to this story? I read when "Walk The Line" first came out, that one of Johnny and Vivian's daughters walked out of the theater, because the movie portrayed her mom in such a bad light.[/quote]

I don't think she could have been that bad either. Johnny was an ahole, [I]may they not come with torches & evict me from the state in the night[/I], & June was a well...

[I]In 1958, Cash moved the family to [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California"]California[/URL] at the urging of new manager Stu Carnall. The move marked the start of what Liberto called "a dangerous current" running beneath their lives. Cash, began drinking more and taking pills, and when Liberto found receipts for thousands of dollars worth of gifts purchased for June Carter, Liberto said family, friends and some of Cash's bandmates confirmed her suspicions that Cash and Carter were openly having an affair.[citation needed][/I]
    Liberto first met Carter in 1958 at a music industry party in Nashville, writing that within minutes of being introduced, Carter thrust out her arm and said "Look with every husband, my diamond gets bigger!"[citation needed] Liberto wrote the encounter haunted her for years, and that she confronted Carter two times about the affair: the first over the phone, the second backstage at a show. "It was an ugly, tense five minutes of angry words, posturing, and June punctuating her position with five devastating words that rendered me speechless, 'Vivian, he will be mine.'"
    Liberto thought a move to Casitas Springs in late summer 1961, two weeks after her last child Tara was born, would put an end to Cash's behavior. However, it wasn't long after they moved there that their relationship ended. Liberto wrote, "That's when everything, I mean everything started to fall apart... I should have been relentless to save our marriage, as relentless as June was at destroying it."

Yes, I know that Johnny & June truly loved each other, but I could never get over them cheating on their spouses to be together. Supposedly Vivian was giving Johnny a hard time about getting a divorce, because she was Catholic.
    But, I guess fooling around sometimes goes hand in hand with being a performer. It took me a long time to get over Vince Gill and Amy Grant having an affair, before they both got divorced. Also, I thought Garth Brooks cheating on his wife with Trisha Yearwood, was pretty low. But, then again, I feel now Trisha's married beneath her. She could do better than him.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

LadyDay Guest
    I feel that Vivien has not got her due in all of this - she interests me because the book she brought out about their relationship gives another side to the story.

I agree that he and June loved each other. But he also loved Vivien very much as evidenced by the letters he sent her.

It was the drugs that ended their marriage, not his love for June. I think a person can have two great loves in their life and Vivien was definitely his second love.

Not only that, she came across as a truly lovely person and no one had a bad word to say to her, and she managed to not say a bad word about Cash and June in front of her four daughters - that takes strength and love.

The way she was portrayed in the film is totally wrong. Vivien supported him totally in his career. I don't blame their daughters for being upset by the film. I also think June Carter had a ruthless side when it came to getting what she wanted.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    Supposedly Vivian was giving Johnny a hard time about getting a divorce, because she was Catholic.
    She would have been completely just if she did give him a hard time. It wasn't her fault he was a douche bag who refused to stay faithful.

Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    But, I guess fooling around sometimes goes hand in hand with being a performer. It took me a long time to get over Vince Gill and Amy Grant having an affair, before they both got divorced. Also, I thought Garth Brooks cheating on his wife with Trisha Yearwood, was pretty low. But, then again, I feel now Trisha's married beneath her. She could do better than him.
    It doesn't have to go hand in hand. It's all about choices. Gill & Grant are jerks. Brooks & Yearwood just give me the freaking creeps. I mean, really - gross! People need to get over themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDay View Post

It was the drugs that ended their marriage, not his love for June. I think a person can have two great loves in their life and Vivien was definitely his second love.

I also think June Carter had a ruthless side when it came to getting what she wanted.
    I agree that one can have more than one great love in life. However, if you make the promise to one, you made your choice. Marriage isn't supposed to be a part time or short term thing you do until you meet someone you love more. He made his choice, and had a family with her. That he changed his mind was cowardly. Obviously selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I agree that one can have more than one great love in life. However, if you make the promise to one, you made your choice. Marriage isn't supposed to be a part time or short term thing you do until you meet someone you love more. He made his choice, and had a family with her. That he changed his mind was cowardly. Obviously selfish.
    I agree with you, totally, on this one! Well put!

I read an article about Vivian not too long ago. I think it was right after June died (which of course would have been shortly before Johnny himself died) that Johnny went to see Vivian and she told him she was writing the book. His response was "What took you so long?"

Although she remarried, those who knew her said that she never really got over Johnny.

I saw Walk the Line last night on F/X. It was one helluva movie. Reese and Phoenix didn't exactly look like Johnny and June, of course, but they did a good job mimicing, What a love story. I don't hold with cheating, and I think Cash could have been more of a man and just told his wife that he wanted a divorce. You can't help whom you fall in love with and it wasn't like it was an affair of the loins. But Cash could have gone about it differently. I know he was a drug addict, but still...
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I saw Walk the Line last night on F/X. It was one helluva movie. Reese and Phoenix didn't exactly look like Johnny and June, of course, but they did a good job mimicing, What a love story. I don't hold with cheating, and I think Cash could have been more of a man and just told his wife that he wanted a divorce. You can't help whom you fall in love with and it wasn't like it was an affair of the loins. But Cash could have gone about it differently. I know he was a drug addict, but still...
    me and my hubbs are always disagreeing about that!.......... I always say.... Johnny couldn't walk no line............... and he said he ended up with the right person, just wrong time............ and then we're off.... arguing over June, Viv, and Johnny.................

**Jenna** Guest
    Sometimes I watch that movie and i think how great and how J&J belonged together,then other times JC just makes me mad going after June while married to Vivian and I feel bad for Viv.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit View Post
    me and my hubbs are always disagreeing about that!.......... I always say.... Johnny couldn't walk no line............... and he said he ended up with the right person, just wrong time............ and then we're off.... arguing over June, Viv, and Johnny.................
    Quote Originally Posted by LSF View Post
    Sometimes I watch that movie and i think how great and how J&J belonged together,then other times JC just makes me mad going after June while married to Vivian and I feel bad for Viv.
    I do not agree with what Johnny and June did. I think you should be very careful who you marry because they may not be the right one. Just as their are many kinds of love, people marry for many different reasons, and love is not always enough to sustain a marriage. And then one partner finds the right person. That's heartbreaking for both parties. Remember Solomon? He was married and had a thousand concubines and then he met Miss Right and God would not allow him to have her. That speaks volumes.

What I meant in my above post is that if you are going to run around or if you meet someone you want to be with, you should at least have the balls and decency to tell your spouse you want out. My daddy had an affair for one year before mama found out. He just abandoned us. It was a mess, let me tell ya.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

**Jenna** Guest
    I do not agree with what Johnny and June did. I think you should be very careful who you marry because they may not be the right one. Just as their are many kinds of love, people marry for many different reasons, and love is not always enough to sustain a marriage. And then one partner finds the right person. That's heartbreaking for both parties. Remember Solomon? He was married and had a thousand concubines and then he met Miss Right and God would not allow him to have her. That speaks volumes.

What I meant in my above post is that if you are going to run around or if you meet someone you want to be with, you should at least have the balls and decency to tell your spouse you want out. My daddy had an affair for one year before mama found out. He just abandoned us. It was a mess, let me tell ya.
    LOL,I understand,i just read yours and Jessica's post and what i posted just poped in my head..
    My son got me distracted.

I didn't care for Reese's portrayal of June. June had a gutsy quality that I don't think Reese was able to capture, especially with the singing. There are a few YouTube clips of the real Johnny and June singing Jackson, and I love every one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNotherOne View Post
    I didn't care for Reese's portrayal of June. June had a gutsy quality that I don't think Reese was able to capture, especially with the singing. There are a few YouTube clips of the real Johnny and June singing Jackson, and I love every one of them.
    Spot on. I thought Phoenix did a better job portraying Johnny, and yes there was something missing in Reese. Who do you think would have done a better job?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNotherOne View Post
    I didn't care for Reese's portrayal of June.
    I agree,though I'm not a fan of hers at all.

Cindy, I understand too well. My dad had an affair with another woman for years before he finally divorced my mom. Do you think if Johnny would have told his wife right from the beginning that he loved June that things would've been different?
    I wonder about that sometimes. On the good side, June helped him fight the illness of addiction and got him more in tune with religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    Cindy, I understand too well. My dad had an affair with another woman for years before he finally divorced my mom. Do you think if Johnny would have told his wife right from the beginning that he loved June that things would've been different?
    I wonder about that sometimes. On the good side, June helped him fight the illness of addiction and got him more in tune with religion.
    I think there would have been hell to pay either way. But things usually work out somehow or other and sometimes for the best. June and Johnny had the real thing. She got him off drugs and led him to God. But make no mistake somewhere in their 35 years together they paid for what they did to Viv. You don't do such without paying a price. That's just the way life is. My dad paid it 100 fold, and my mama paid for his sin by drinking herself to death. She started the week he left and it took her some thirty years but she succeeded. She could not get over him; she was mentally ill, and so drinking made it worse. The day he died she started getting worse.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post

I didn't think the story itself was anything new but the performances were amazing from both Phoenix and Witherspoon.

I probably listen to him everyday.

LadyDay Guest
    June didin't get him off drugs - if anything she gave him the reason to take them - he took drugs to cope with the guilt of infidelity and the stresses of life on the road.

The film was not exact - he didn't stop taking drugs after their marriage, his drug taking continued for a while. And June even started taking drugs and got addicted according to their son.