Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Candy

Danny62 Guest

Arrow John Candy

I remeber receiving his autograph in the mail about a week after he died. I recently found the envelope and picture.

That was kind of creepy!!!

I doubt it was really autographed by him anyway. Most autographs you get thru the mail are fake!

He was a funny guy!!!!!

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I remeber receiving his autograph in the mail about a week after he died. I recently found the envelope and picture.

That was kind of creepy!!!

I doubt it was really autographed by him anyway. Most autographs you get thru the mail are fake!

He was a funny guy!!!!!
    he is 1 of the stars that i remember exactly where i was & what i was doing when i heard of his death~ i knew he was a heavy smoker & eater, was he a drugger too?~ he seemed to be a gentle giant~
    i loved "uncle buck"~

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
    he is 1 of the stars that i remember exactly where i was & what i was doing when i heard of his death~ i knew he was a heavy smoker & eater, was he a drugger too?~ he seemed to be a gentle giant~
    i loved "uncle buck"~
    I never heard he used drugs!!! It was mainly his weight that did him in. I think heart disease ran in his family?

I loved him in Uncle Buck, too! "Buck melanoma, I'm moley Russel's wart'. LOL!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

mommafreak Guest
    Uncle Buck is classic. Whisteling, cooking breakfast, singing, oh my goodness, I gotta watch the movie tonight.

Suzanne30 Guest
    My favorite John Candy movie is Planes, Trains, And Automobiles with Steve Martin.

He was also good in Only The Lonely with Maureen O'Harrah and Ally Sheedy.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I never heard he used drugs!!! It was mainly his weight that did him in. I think heart disease ran in his family?
    I'd read that it was his excessive weight, bad eating habits and some signs of clogged artiries......I also read a quote from his wife that he was not doing drugs - and the last time she talked to him on the phone, he said he was just tired, the heat was awful and he was ready to come home.

Speaking of, anyone like the last movie he was working on, Wagons East?

MOVIEDAN Guest
    Wagon's East wasn't the greatest way to close a career. I just saw it a couple of weeks ago. It was alright. I did read that Candy was a very heavy smoker and loved the food. Wonder if he passed his physical before they cast him in the movie? All actors and crew have to get physicals for insurance purposes before being hired for a film.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne30 View Post
    My favorite John Candy movie is Planes, Trains, And Automobiles with Steve Martin.

I also liked him in Splash - as Tom Hanks brother.

Zeenie Guest
    I loved him in "Only the Lonely," with Maureen O'Hara. She talks about him a bit in her autobiography, saying he was very serious as an actor and that she loved working with him. If I remember correctly, he died around the same time as Cobain?

Shes Not There Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeenie View Post
    I loved him in "Only the Lonely," with Maureen O'Hara. She talks about him a bit in her autobiography, saying he was very serious as an actor and that she loved working with him. If I remember correctly, he died around the same time as Cobain?
    I loved him in National Lampoons Vacation~remember he was the geeky security guard at wallyworld? He died not too long after another great comedian-Bill Hicks. Kurt died 4 days after John did, Bill Hicks died Feb. 24th. Such a sad start to the new year-A highlight of the year for me was my son was born in July.

KristinEileen Guest

Arrow

I loved him in Planes, Trains and Automobiles! He was hysterical!! I would definitely bought shower curtain rings from him!!!

radio_free_bg Guest
    Yes! Uncle Buck! That movie was great. He was also in the first Home Alone as "The Polka-King of something or other".

Lobsters Guest
    They were big in Sheboygan.

Guest Guest
    I like the movie, " The great outdoors " That was the name of it right when they shot the bear in the ass? Wow I haven't seen that movie in forever

Ted Challinor Guest
    I liked his brief role in Little Shop of Horrors

rjbrasher Guest
    Anyone remember hot to trot? With Bobcat Goldthwait and john candy did the voice of the horse. I thought that movie was kinda funny.

HETFIELD Guest
    No, but I used to watch the cartoon show Camp Candy lol.

susalu Guest
    John was also on Sesame Street, where he played a polka-meister.... His name was Yann Schmenke.... My son loved him!! Does anyone else remember that???

HETFIELD Guest
    heh, no and i used to watch that show, but i didnt know who john candy was till 88.

Grimweeper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne30 View Post

Funny movie! The scene where he "spoons" with Steve Martin, lol. "Where is your other hand? Between two pillows.... those are not PILLOWS"

Grimweeper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MOVIEDAN View Post
    Wagon's East wasn't the greatest way to close a career. I just saw it a couple of weeks ago. It was alright. I did read that Candy was a very heavy smoker and loved the food. Wonder if he passed his physical before they cast him in the movie? All actors and crew have to get physicals for insurance purposes before being hired for a film.
    I believe that was the movie he was on set working on when he passed... somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Jack Raines Guest
    I liked almost all of his movies, but one of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned yet is Summer Rental.

Does anyone remember when he was on second city television.He was a standout on that very talented cast.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Does anyone remember when he was on second city television.He was a standout on that very talented cast.
    I loved watching SCTV. I thought it was great. John Candy was one of the best people on that show.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I liked him in cool runnings.

dirk diggler Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I also liked him in Splash - as Tom Hanks brother.
    Tom Hanks trying to tell John Candy his new girlfriend is a fish Candy replies "Ah well nobody's perfect"..

Snoopy Guest
    I loved him in Uncle Buck he was awesome..always cracked me up when he was intimidating his neice's boyfriend! he truly made me belly laugh!

alexmack Guest
    Proud to say he is a fellow Canadian!

smellslikealmonds Guest
    ever hear of a ritual killing?
    gnaw on my niece's face like that in public again and you'll be one.
    love uncle buck

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikealmonds View Post
    ever hear of a ritual killing?
    gnaw on my niece's face like that in public again and you'll be one.
    love uncle buck
    Bahahaha! loved that line! I also loved loved him in Planes,Trains,and Automobiles!

Kellycatt1 Guest
    Oh I loved John Candy, I almost felt like crying when he died. His movies were the ones I could put in when I was feeling down, and by the time they were over, I was laughing so hard I was in tears.

Franco Guest
    Planes, Trains, etc; Summer Rental; Stripes; The Great Outdoors; Uncle Buck; etc

He will be missed.

magblax Guest
    He wasn't looking too good at the end of his life.

I loved his movies. He was funny and seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

Uncle Buck:

Bug: Ever hear of a tune-up? Hee hee hee hee hee.
    Buck: Ah, heh heh heh. Ever hear of a ritual killing? Ah, heh heh heh heh heh
    Bug: I don't get it.
    Buck: You gnaw on her face in public like that again and you'll be one. Ah, heh heh heh heh!

Stripes was damn funny.

The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

Nowereman Guest
    Lasky, Guard at Walleyworld from the Vacation movie.

emeslovesheppy Guest

Talking My all time favorite!!!

my all time favorite movie with John Candy was Stripes. Do any of you remember that he was in that movie?

After the sargent gets blown up on the ropes course John Candy's line was "Sargent, does this mean that we are done for the day?" I love that movie and I liked Uncle Buck as well as Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

"Your the guy who tried to steal my cab."

"Thats Not A Pillow!"
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Marty Guest

Smile John Candy

After his death, it came out that John Candy used to donate a sizeable portion of his acting income to a children's charity in whatever city he happened to be filming in. He did so quietly, without fanfare.

A receptionist at the studio I work at told me that John used to give flowers to the ladies at reception whenever he would drop by to record voice-overs. He was truly a class act and made people feel special.

I miss him. The world needs more John Candys.

He was my fav on Second City Television.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by emeslovesheppy View Post
    my all time favorite movie with John Candy was Stripes. Do any of you remember that he was in that movie?

After the sargent gets blown up on the ropes course John Candy's line was "Sargent, does this mean that we are done for the day?" I love that movie and I liked Uncle Buck as well as Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

"Your the guy who tried to steal my cab."
    He was great in Stripes. Dewey Oxburger. "I'm going to come out of here a lean, mean, fightin' machine!!"

RoRo Guest
    he was a great talent and he died much too soon! I agree we need more like him in the world!!

knothere Guest
    i remember his as johnny la rue on second city
    he was in canadian bacon that was funny

bulldog0728 Guest
    i wonder if anyone knows where John candy's house was. i like seeing how they lived and hope he had a pad to show for the great actor he was

polychic Guest
    Spaceballs!

Vespa: Who are you?
    Barf: Barf!
    Dot: Not in here mister this is a mercedes

Bidmor Guest
    John's role as Dean Andrews in "JFK"...excellent!

"You got the right ta-ta but wrong ho-ho"

"The government's gonna jump all over your head and yell cock-a-doodle-doo"

Beatts Guest
    He was great in "Who's Harry Crumb" also

RIP

Nayzo Guest
    I grew up loving John Candy in such gems as Uncle Buck, Great Outdoors, Home Alone (what, I was 10 when that came out, and that movie is fantasmic to ten year olds everywhere), Blues Brothers. I really enjoyed his performance in Cool Runnings. "Orange whip?"

I liked his Divine impersonation on SCTV. I heard he was once was a cokehead but had been clean for a long time when he died.
    Somebody emailed this to me a few xmases ago. Its mildly humorous,

MbalmR Guest
    I'll never forget him playing racket ball with Tom Hanks in "Splash." It epitomizes me to a "T"--taking a break after two minutes, smoking a cigarette and sitting on my beer cooler.........

God bless John; he is really missed.