Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Natalie Wood

Jigsaw Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    Odd how you worded that: She was selling fur coats in magazine ads.

I believe that the clever advertising campaign for BLACKGLAMA ( "which claims to create the best mink coat going") began in 1968.

FAYE DUNAWAY, JUDY GARLAND and later her daughter LIZI MINELLI, PAULETTE GODDARD, JOAN CRAWFORD, CAROL BURNETT, RAQUEL WELCH, LENA HORNE, LAUREN BACALL, BETTE DAVIS, JOAN FONTAINE, CLAUDETTE COLBERT, MARIA CALLAS, HELEN HAYES, RITA HAYWORTH, ANGELA LANSBURY, MYRNA LOY, & SHIRLEY MacLAINE are amongst those who had posed for BLACKGLAMA before NATALIE did.

NATALIE was the current 'Legend' at the time of her death in 1981. If you ever noticed, the ads never listed the name of the 'Legend ', rather they showcased a well known actress, opera singer, entertainer etc in their product with the simple but easily remembered tagline of
    "What Becomes A Legend Most...?".

In the past few years, CINDY CRAWFORD, uber model GISELE BUNDCHEN, & LINDA EVANGELISTA have been 'Legends'. The most current one is NAOMI CAMPBELL.
    She was buried in the fur coat Wagner was going to give her for Christmas. I might have read that here.

jigsaw

A-train Guest
    Ya the whole thing is fishy. I just read that the ignition on the dinghy was turned to off, and the oars were still tied down. I also saw a pic of wagner with a pretty young lady, she looked familiar, i wonder if it was his/woods' daughter. Does she act, anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by A-train View Post
    Ya the whole thing is fishy. I just read that the ignition on the dinghy was turned to off, and the oars were still tied down. I also saw a pic of wagner with a pretty young lady, she looked familiar, i wonder if it was his/woods' daughter. Does she act, anyone know?
    One of his daughters is on the TV guide channel I think. The other one was in a movie called "Another day in Paradise" She played a junky. She did a good job because she was annoying as hell in that movie.

Lynn Guest
    In his book, "The Way We Lived Then," Dominick Dunne writes about how Natalie Wood's oldest daughter, Natasha, insisted on viewing her mother's body before burial. So the playright Mart Crowley, along with another friend and Sydney Guilaroff, the MGM hair designer, went to the mortuary (Pearce Brothers) and worked on the body. Natasha then viewed her mother and left a letter in the coffin. Later, she said she wanted her mother buried in her diamond earrings and new fox fur coat, and so Natalie was.

There were 3 daughters in the household:

KATIE born in 1964 was ROBERT WAGNER'S daughter from his marriage to MARION MARSHALL (ex-wife of STANLEY DONEN)

NATASHA born in 1970 was NATALIE'S daughter from her marriage to RICHARD GREGSON.

COURTNEY born in 1974 was the child of both NATALIE & ROBERT WAGNER.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

relander Guest

Rare pictures of Nat

Set 1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001aNW.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	5567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002bNW.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	290.5 KB 
ID:	5568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003cNW.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	5569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004dNW.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	5570  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005eNW.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	5571  

relander Guest

Rare pictures of Nat

Set 2

Name:	006fNW.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	5572   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007gNW.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	5573   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008hNW.jpg 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	5574   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009iNW.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	5575  

Name:	010jNW.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	5576  

GODDESS6 Guest
    she was so gorgeous, thanx for posting these pics~

Jigsaw Guest
    Robert Blake said about Natalie (paraphrase). "I've met some fantastic people -- Martin Luther King, Bobby Kennedy, Che Guevara. She's on the same level. Even hung over with no make-up, she was still heads above the rest." Blake worked with her in This Property Is Condemned. She had to do a water scene at night. Robert Blake would go under water and hold her legs, so she'd feel safe enough to say her lines.

jigsaw

Jigsaw Guest

The Lure of Natalie Wood

Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    only my opinion, but i never cared for n. wood. i find her acting was predictable and somewhat second rate. her looks, typical starlet stuff. too bad she left this world early, but it doesn't make her a martyred goddess. we have choice, and sometimes our choices stink. lol
    How can anyone not like Natalie Wood? She meant a lot to adolescent girls in my generation. She was going through what we were going through. And she was so beautiful -- in Splendour in the Grass, Love with the Proper Stranger, This Property Is Condemned, Gypsy (when she learns she is beautiful), West Side Story, Rebel Without a Cause... She gave us someone to identify with.

Natalie Wood is essential.

jigsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    Robert Blake said about Natalie (paraphrase). "I've met some fantastic people -- Martin Luther King, Bobby Kennedy, Che Guevara. She's on the same level. Even hung over with no make-up, she was still heads above the rest." Blake worked with her in This Property Is Condemned. She had to do a water scene at night. Robert Blake would go under water and hold her legs, so she'd feel safe enough to say her lines.

jigsaw
    NATALIE got him that small role (Sidney ?) in THIS PROPERTY IS CONDEMNED. They'd known each other for over 20 years, and she was on a career high whereas BLAKE was the polar opposite. Good friend that she was, she did him a good deed; the following year he got the part of one of the two killers in the film version of CAPOTE'S IN COLD BLOOD and his career was on the upswing.

relander Guest

Natalie Wood Interview

Guys, I really love this woman!
    She was stunningly beautiful and she had class!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8cZg...eature=related

relander Guest

Some random pictures

of Nat.

Name:	Nat & Liz.jpg 
Size:	672.6 KB 
ID:	5585   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Posing1.jpg 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	5586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Posing2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	319.7 KB 
ID:	5587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Posing with ic.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	307.6 KB 
ID:	5588  

Name:	NW.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	634.9 KB 
ID:	5589  
    Last edited by relander; 05-22-2008 at 11:16 PM.

relander Guest

One

more picture.

Name:	Miss Wood.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	553.4 KB 
ID:	5590  

GODDESS6 Guest
    more pics of natalie yay!!!~

jlhist64 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by alexmack View Post
    I have read that pennies are a sign from our loved ones that have passed, letting us know that they are alright. I have also read that the Romans placed a coin with the remains to pay for the ferryman's fare as he took you across to the next world/life.

It is also said to be a way of paying the deceased who has been interred for an amount of earth (about 2 ounces) taken from the grave. In this case, the penny is paid to placate the deceased for disturbing the grave.

Anyhow... I hope it is a sign that they are okay!
    Actually, the custom of placing pennies over the eyes goes back to Ancient Greece. You see in Greek Mythology you take the pennies and give them to the ferryman "Charon" and then he will row you across the river Styx, and then you will be in Hades....

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by relander View Post
    Set 2 photos
    Thanks for the photos relander.

That one photo with Natalie standing with Betty on the beach shows how extremely tiny she was. Despite being in heels, Betty still seems to have a good foot or so on her. I've heard before that Natalie was only about five-feet on the nose.
    Last edited by HARLOWNUMBER1; 05-23-2008 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HARLOWNUMBER1 View Post
    Thanks for the photos relander.

That one photo with Natalie standing with Betty on the beach shows how extremely tiny she was. Despite being in heels, Betty still seems to have a good foot or so on her. I've heard before that Natalie was only about five-feet on the nose.

According to 'Press Books' given out by WARNER BROTHERS during NATALIE' reign in the early to mid 60s, she was 5'2"; I tend to agree with you though that she was pushing it if she was actually 5 feet tall. She often wore very high heels, like 4" stilletoes or later on the platforms that were popular in the 70s. In many photographs she appears so tiny that she almost looks like someone's kid sister in dress up. I think that 4'11", 5'0" was probably closer to her actual height.

Lana Wood's book about her sister
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:16 AM.

relander Guest

Locations

After Thanksgiving, Wood, Wagner and Walken went on to Catalina Island for the weekend and on Saturday night their yacht (Splendor) was anchored in Isthmus Cove. Also on board was the boat's skipper, Dennis Davern, who had worked for the couple for many years. Wood apparently tried to either leave the yacht or secure a dinghy from banging against the hull when she accidentally slipped and fell overboard. A woman on a nearby yacht said she heard calls for help at around midnight. The cries lasted for about 15 minutes and were answered by someone else who said, "Take it easy. We'll be over to get you". "It was laid back," the witness recalled.
    "There was no urgency or immediacy in their shouts".
    An investigation by Los Angeles County coroner Thomas Noguchi resulted in an official verdict of accidental drowning. Noguchi concluded Wood had drunk "seven or eight" glasses of wine and was intoxicated when she died. There were marks and bruises on her body which could have been received as a result of her fall. Noguchi later wrote had Wood not been intoxicated she likely would have realized her heavy down-filled coat and wool sweater were pulling her underwater and would have removed them. Noguchi also wrote that he found Wood's fingernails embedded in the rubber boat's side.

This case makes no sense...

Some thoughts about the incident.

1. Looking at shots of Isthmus Cove it surprises me that only 1 person heard something unusual that night.

2. Why would Wood go out to possibly secure the dinghy when she could have simply asked the skipper or the other 2 to do it?

3. Marks and bruises on her body, from falling into water?

4. 3 men on board and none of them ever speak about what happened.

Name:	SCmap.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	275.0 KB 
ID:	5622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IC1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	553.4 KB 
ID:	5623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IC2.jpg 
Size:	440.4 KB 
ID:	5624  
    Last edited by relander; 05-26-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Oh I don't know? Obsessive fan behaviour I guess?

sunshine74137 Guest

Elizabeth Guest

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great pictures of Natalie....but seriously, is there a bad one out there?

She was very conscious of "being Natalie" ie always being dressed up and made up before going out in public....so I can't imagine there is one out there of Natalie without make-up.....

Blurgle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by miamore73 View Post
    She was really beautiful.

I think diamond earrings being buried with Natalie Wood is appropriate.

I still don't get the penny thing. What does it mean to Russian Jews?
    And why Natalie Wood's grave, since she wasn't Jewish? She even has an Orthodox cross on her grave marker.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    Thanks for all the great pictures of Natalie....but seriously, is there a bad one out there?

She was very conscious of "being Natalie" ie always being dressed up and made up before going out in public....so I can't imagine there is one out there of Natalie without make-up.....
    I've only seen one picture of her without make-up; it's of ROBERT WAGNER & her in a small boat on Schroon Lake during a day off (of) the production of MARJORIE MORNINGSTAR. (It) looks like NATALIE, but she definitely looked better with the heavy eye make-up she favored.

Her sister noted how one time NATALIE was treating for the two of them to go get facials. When LANA got to NATALIE'S that morning she was surprised to see that her movie star sister had on a full face of make-up. When she asked why since they would both be receiving facials within the hour, NATALIE told LANA that she always went out fully dressed as a star in case she ran into anyone, fan or likewise.
    Last edited by KELT; 05-27-2008 at 10:06 PM.

JestersKiss Guest

spiritwisepi Guest

A couple things fond about coins and headstones

Different cultures place coins for different reasons...some more symbolic of others.

http://www.istorija.lt/lim/LIM99s-02svetikas.htm
    "In Christian symbolism the coin as well as the seal symbolize the believerâ??s soul, bearing the impression of Godâ??s sign. In the Bible and in religious literature the coin and the seal are referred to as symbols of belonging to God. Coins also symbolize fees. There is one more symbolic meaning of coins, which is revealed by the story of the Bible about the thirty pieces of silver for which Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus. In Christian symbolism this motif is one of the symbols of Christâ??s sufferings."

It seems like coins meant for the 'ferry man' were generally buried WITH the body, and not put atop the grave.

In Jewish tradition, small pebbles are often placed atop of graves. Along these lines, coins sometimes symbolize just a "Hey, someone was here" message for many cultures. http://amywelborn.typepad.com/openbook/ ... lusia.html

It isn't uncommon to find coins, especially pennies (pennies from heaven) on the graves of celebrities.

Another interesting "coin fact" is that some practioners will come to collect graveyard dirt for certain incantations and such...and will leave a coin offering for the deceased, as well as the spirits who guard the graveyard.

http://www.concordma.com/magazine/ju...enchpenny.html

http://www.ushistory.org/franklin/ph...phia/grave.htm

RIP Natalie

6 Haunted Days Guest
    Her death and that night on the boat, just totally suspicious! I've read everything I could find on it, and for sure something isn't right. I never looked at her husband the same again and to a lesser degree Walken!

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by relander View Post
    Any ideas about her death? What really happened in their yacht on that saturday night in 1981? Murder or tragic accident?

She caught her husband and Walken having sex. Many things have been covered up about this case.

Happy 70th Birthday ! ! !

John Connor Guest
    The character Susannah Wood in the classic Play It As It Lays is apparently based on hard living Natalie. She was no saint. I read Lana Wood's book about her and though there is a lot of sibling rivalry and unresolved issues I think she displays Natalie's character well. Essentially she was a child star and by the time she died the roles were drying up and she was not a happy camper.
    Last edited by John Connor; 07-20-2008 at 02:52 AM.

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest

Happy 70th Birthday ! ! !

Thanks for the reminder Kelt!

It's is so hard to believe that she'd be friggin 70 years old!? For some reason, she was always one star I could never picture as elderly.

Here's a possibility of how she might have appeared in her 80s.

Elizabeth Guest

What?

Here's a possibility of how she might have appeared in her 80s.

Kelt, what is this from? I assume this is Natalie??

beatrixkiddo Guest

She Had the Best Pallbearers

Included in the list of pallbearers:

• Jimmy Stewart
    • Laurence Olivier
    • Gregory Peck
    • Frank Sinatra
    • Fred Astaire

A true testament to how beloved she was in this town. Now her husband on the other hand....

We miss you - we thought of you on Sunday of course. We laugh now at the times we had with you. Полюбите вас!

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    Kelt, what is this from? I assume this is Natalie??

It's her 'disguise' during the bank robbing scene from the 1966 film PENELOPE

36. 07-23-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    She caught her husband and Walken having sex. Many things have been covered up about this case.

Get out!!! I've never heard that one before - I always thought it was Natalie having an affair with Walken was what happened. They were making a movie together at the time, right? Brainstorm, wasn't it??

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSDeathhag View Post
    Get out!!! I've never heard that one before - I always thought it was Natalie having an affair with Walken was what happened. They were making a movie together at the time, right? Brainstorm, wasn't it??
    It was Brainstorm, Wood and Walken were both starring in it. They had to finish filming it without her

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    It was Brainstorm, Wood and Walken were both starring in it. They had to finish filming it without her
    Was'nt that movie a stinker?

Or maybe it is just because I never liked Walken?

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    The character Susannah Wood in the classic Play It As It Lays is apparently based on hard living Natalie. She was no saint. I read Lana Wood's book about her and though there is a lot of sibling rivalry and unresolved issues I think she displays Natalie's character well. Essentially she was a child star and by the time she died the roles were drying up and she was not a happy camper.
    I did not know that. I love that book, one of the few I've read several times. Joan Didion is my favorite (living) author.
    I do know Tuesday Weld played the character in the movie, which was pretty awful (nowhere near as insightful--or as good--as the book).

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Was'nt that movie a stinker?

Or maybe it is just because I never liked Walken?
    I don't care for him either (except in "Hairspray"--he is hysterical!). I think the movie was definitely hampered by the fact that about 20 mins. (of the final film) was made utilizing a body double for Natalie--so she's got her back to the screen or face obscured for about 1/3 of the film. It had a really good concept, but it's very obvious watching the final result that something went horribly wrong during production.

lisalouver Guest
    I don't care for him either (except in "Hairspray"--he is hysterical!). I think the movie was definitely hampered by the fact that about 20 mins. (of the final film) was made utilizing a body double for Natalie--so she's got her back to the screen or face obscured for about 1/3 of the film. It had a really good concept, but it's very obvious watching the final result that something went horribly wrong during production.
    Glad to see I am not the only unfan of Walken!

Yea, I never saw the movie, but heard the bad press about it. You are probably right, everyone knew what had happened and that had to be terrible to see that body double in the film and no Natalie.

beatrixkiddo Guest

Are You Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    OJ told me he "banged" her once or twice and that she was "a nutty broad."
    This pearl of wisdom coming from the skank ho that lets a double murderer pound the shit out of her? You're a desperate starfuc*er of the worst kind - one that relinquishes all self esteem and PRIDE to gain a shred of notoreity.

leevancleef Guest
    Anyone here really believes that there was a fling going on between her and Walken when she died?

Jenny McCarthy worked with Walken on something or other, and she told Howard Stern that he "smelled like formaldeyde". I don't find that hard to believe.

bunny Guest
    Oh man that is nasty...No with her good looking hubby why in the world would she screw him?

John Connor Guest
    I did not know that. I love that book, one of the few I've read several times. Joan Didion is my favorite (living) author.
    I do know Tuesday Weld played the character in the movie, which was pretty awful (nowhere near as insightful--or as good--as the book).
    I've never seen the film though I've looked for it. It is one of my favourite books as well.
    Apparently their paths crossed (Didion & Wood) because during the making of some film. I don't think Didion was a big fan of Natalie Wood either. As sad and bizarre as her death was she doesn't sound like she was the most gracious person in the world, in fact she sounds like she was a bit of a bitch with a big case of arrested development. I say this with a marshmallow padding because I don't think many child stars grow up to be happy people. They get the message early that their worth is defined by their star status and earning potential which for most (Jodie Foster being a good exception) inevitably begins to falter as hers did. Only my humble opinion but I don't see what was so "classy" about her.

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSDeathhag View Post
    Sorry to post twice. Vanity Fair did an article some years ago on this. One of the crew was going to write a book about what he saw that night. Strangely it never came to life and "RJ" seems to know the people to cover these things up. He said some very heavy things. Apparently she was drinking all day and making a fool of herself, throwing herself at Walken and what not in front of her husband. Walken wasn't interested. The guy said she went to bed and I think he heard her get up. Then there was fighting. Did she catch them having sex? That's what the guy says. She had a hissy fit and stomped off. Remember Natalie Wood was TERRIFIED of water. Something very big happened for her to get in that dinghy. Later the guy heard (and I believe others) Wagner and Walken on deck mocking Natalie for being a big drama queen while she was out on the water. Meanwhile she was drowning.
    I'd say the article was from around 2002-2003 if you want to dig it up.

lisalouver Guest
    Sort of OT, but not really.

There was a new biography on Robert Wagner early this morning. I fell asleep before they started talking about he and Natalie, however they were discussing the fact that Robert starred at age 23 in 1953 in the movie Titanic and began an affair with Barbara Stanwyck who was 46 at the time.

The studios kept it quiet by linking him with his co star in his next movie (I forgot her name) although they were not involved.

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Sort of OT, but not really.

There was a new biography on Robert Wagner early this morning. I fell asleep before they started talking about he and Natalie, however they were discussing the fact that Robert starred at age 23 in 1953 in the movie Titanic and began an affair with Barbara Stanwyck who was 46 at the time.

The studios kept it quiet by linking him with his co star in his next movie (I forgot her name) although they were not involved.
    Maybe Terry Moore. She was one of Howard Hughes' discoveries I think.

lisalouver Guest
    Maybe Terry Moore. She was one of Howard Hughes' discoveries I think.
    I think that is who it was, yes.