Thread: Joan's adopted daughter: Cynthia Crawford

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest

Joan's adopted daughter: Cynthia Crawford

i just read somewhere that joan crawfords daughter cynthia died last week can anyone confirm or deny this for me

Quote Originally Posted by scarsxofxlove View Post
    i just read somewhere that joan crawfords daughter cynthia died last week can anyone confirm or deny this for me
    Oh my God...my heart just almost stopped - I thought CINDY Crawford had died...whew! She's my "goddess"

Uh, no...didn't hear anything about CYNTHIA Crawford...continue on with thread...

Daphne Guest
    are you speaking of Christina Crawford? There is a Cindy Crawford and from what I understand, Cindy is a model and very much alive, and I am not aware that Joan had a daughter named Cindy.. by all accounts she did not. I also do not see where Christina has died, do you have a source from where you heard that?

as well as christina and christoper joan also adopted twins cathy and cynthia

Suzanne30 Guest
    Scroll down to site updates.

http://www.joancrawfordbest.com/menupage.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne30 View Post
    thank u very much for ur help

RIP cynthia

RoRo Guest
    [SIZE=3]Found this on another site http://legendaryjoancrawford.com/[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]SAD NEWS: Casey Lalonde has emailed me letting me know that, his aunt, Joan Crawford's adopted daughter, Cynthia Crawford Jordan died on October 14th.(I will not be "out of line" to post his private, personal email on this site). Cindy was waiting for a liver transplant and she went fast. Cindy was one of four children Joan adpoted and Cindy was her biological twin. Many of you that frequent this website write to Casey and send letters to him daily. You can send your condolences to the family through the "Ask Casey" page. There will be a short delay in his response to your letters. [/SIZE]
    Last edited by RoRo; 10-22-2007 at 10:10 PM.

You know what I thought what was so weird, maybe it's just me, but even though she was adopted I can see a very strong resemblence to Joan Crawford.

mgpm Guest
    The younger ones always maintained that Joan was a good mom, right?

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post

You know what I thought what was so weird, maybe it's just me, but even though she was adopted I can see a very strong resemblence to Joan Crawford.
    I was thinking the same thing.

I kinda wonder since back in those days it was a no-no to have a child out of wedlock, (don't remember if she was married at the time) that if she did a Loretta Young thing.

Kathyf Guest
    I just found this.
    June 1947
    Crawford, single again, adopts twins Cindy and Cathy.
    Another intersting thing-
    Adopts son Christopher.
    After seeing newspaper reports of the adoption, Christopher's biological mother sends letters to Joan, who finally gives Christopher back to the adoption agency. The biological mother regains custody, then sells the child for $250 before being institutionalized.
    July 21, 1942
    Marries Phillip Terry at Hidden Valley Ranch in Ventura County, California.
    April 1943
    She and Terry adopt Philippe but they do not keep him.

Jazbabee Guest
    [hmmmmmm.....I'm on the fence about the resemblance thing !!!quote=eca1094;65730]

You know what I thought what was so weird, maybe it's just me, but even though she was adopted I can see a very strong resemblence to Joan Crawford.[/quote]

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    [hmmmmmm.....I'm on the fence about the resemblance thing !!!quote=eca1094;65730]

[/quote]
    Maybe because she looks so stiff and got that little tilt of her head like in Joan's most famous head shot. Although, she looks a lot happier than Joan EVER did.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    RIP Cindy.

Was Cindy the one who inherited the Oscar and later auctioned it, or was it Cathy? I wonder who bought it, it was an anonymous winner. That would be totally cool to own, but it was like hundreds of thousands of dollars, too much for me!

They have both maintained that Joan was a good mother and that they never saw the stuff Christina wrote about.

BabsAlicious Guest
    [SIZE=6]Cynthia Crawford[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=6][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Cathy and Cynthia Crawford were born on January 13, 1947 in Dyersburg, Tennessee. Cathy and Cynthia's mother died a week after they were born from kidney failure and their skittish father abandoned the mother and children. Joan adopted the twin girls in June of 1947 from the Tennessee Children's Home Society. Cathy and Cynthia had an enjoyable childhood.

Joan never hid the fact that the girls were adopted but told them they were not twins in fear that the twins would be taken away from her as was the first Christopher Crawford. Joan often told the teen girls she was going to take them back to Tennessee to visit their origin but she never did.

In 1960, both Cathy and Cynthia moved to New York City with Joan Crawford after Joan's fourth husband, Al Steele, died.
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Cynthia Crawford was in boarding school from age eight and eventually attended Dubuque University. It was at Dubuque University where she met her husband and became pregnant with her first child. In 1967, at 20 years of age, married Mr. Jordan and moved into a trailer in Dubuque, Iowa. They had two children together - Jan and Joel. In 1976, Cynthia divorced her husband after nine years of marriage. After Joan's death in 1977, Cynthia worked in a show store earning $150.00 a week and living off of the $ 77,000 inheritance from Crawford's estate. Cynthia moved to Jackson, Miss., in 1984, but the work played out after six months, leaving her on welfare and without a place to live. She worked and saved until she had enough money for an apartment. In 1990 Cynthia, now living in Brandon, Miss., found her biological father in Friendship, Tennessee. Ironically, her father's last name was Jordan - the same last name as her ex-husband. In 1991, Cynthia moved to Memphis, Tennessee to be closer to her biological family and often visited her dad. In 1993, J.W. Jordan the biological father of Cathy and Cynthia, died of stomach cancer. During the 1990s Cynthia worked for her biological mother's family business. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]Sadly, Cynthia Crawford died on October 14, 2007 at the age of 60 in Tennessee. Cynthia had been dealing with a hepatitis infection and was in process for a liver transplant. She leaves a wonderful loving family, which consisted of her sons and several grandchildren.

Cynthia never had contact with Christina or Christopher after Joan's death.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4]You can go here to see about Crawford's other children:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    http://legendaryjoancrawford.com/crawfordchildren.html

Christopher Crawford is also deceased.

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    Wow...Joan didn't try to keep the "first" Christopher (there was a second?), and then adopted and gave back another baby after that?
    Guess the baby didn't match her drapes or something....

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel13 View Post
    Wow...Joan didn't try to keep the "first" Christopher (there was a second?), and then adopted and gave back another baby after that?
    OMG........LMAOOOOOOOOO........I choked on my sammich with that one........( Joan is not my favorite " mommy ".....)

Rosa Moline Guest
    Actually, the reason that Joan had to give back the first Christopher was because his real mother tracked him down.

I won't have a word said against Joan. She was more sinned against than sinning. Her parenting skills may be a little extreme compared to today's, but I really believe she wasn't a child abuser.

Christina Crawford is another money-grabbing little bitch...BD Hyman also....

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    Not meaning any disrespect to you, but I am confused..
    The "first" Christopher was placed for adoption, no? She adopted him? So how could the mother demand the child back? She should have already signed her rights away, especially after a year. Unless it was an illegal adoption?
    And what happened to Phillipe?

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Oh my God...my heart just almost stopped - I thought CINDY Crawford had died...whew! She's my "goddess"

Uh, no...didn't hear anything about CYNTHIA Crawford...continue on with thread...
    Me too Aries!! I just about fell off the bed!

NOVSTORM Guest
    After the first mother tracked it down that it was JC that adopted her son and was writing her, she gave the child back to stop this woman from harassing her and showing up on her door step. I can see her point since the mother was nuts. She and her 2nd husband gave the other child back because of the divorce I think.
    Some can pick and choose the kids they want or don't want lol I think those kids were probably the lucky ones ..they got away. I never understood her dislike of Christine and Christopher. But if you notice the twins also were sent away at 8 yys of age to a boarding school. Not just Chris and Cris. None of those kids lived with Joan full time but I think the twins never caused her any griefe so they didn't get their asses beat . It wasn't just her 2 kids that said these things about JC there were many hollywood people that said she treated those 2 kids terribly.

Layla331 Guest
    question..were boarding schools and away schools more common in those days or with the stars??

tngirl1967 Guest
    Just finished reading another book on Joan, "Not the Girl Next Door" by Charlotte Chandler. She maintains that Phillip, the son named after her husband Phillip Terry, and the "second Christopher" are the same child. She said that Joan legally changed Phillipe's (or Phillip's, as spelled in the book) to Christopher so that it went with her "C" children name scheme and to prevent Phillip Terry from having any legal claim. It was all so weird. Christina was originally named Joan Crawford, Jr.!

Rosa Moline Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tngirl1967 View Post
    Just finished reading another book on Joan, "Not the Girl Next Door" by Charlotte Chandler. She maintains that Phillip, the son named after her husband Phillip Terry, and the "second Christopher" are the same child. She said that Joan legally changed Phillipe's (or Phillip's, as spelled in the book) to Christopher so that it went with her "C" children name scheme and to prevent Phillip Terry from having any legal claim. It was all so weird. Christina was originally named Joan Crawford, Jr.!
    Also, Hal (Joan's brother) named his baby girl Joan too! Joan even offered to adopt that particular baby when his marriage broke up (this was before Christina and Christopher) by the time he died Joan and Hal were not on speaking terms - they'd always had a difficult relationship. I believe he tried to make it in Hollywood but failed (he did get a few parts though) he died of syphilis (or so I've heard)

Funnnnnnnnyyyyyyyy!

You made me laugh out loud!
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    That chick was as nutty as a box fulla squirrels...

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post

Cindy's real name is Cynthia. I love her too.

Giada Guest
    Joan certainly fit the profile for narcissist, creating golden children in the twins and abusing the two oldest children. Mental issues, alcohol abuse, odd woman.

I don't care for her acting, stiff, wooden, melodrama queen. I prefer women who were strong yet displayed humor and a humanitarian feel, (eg Carole Lombard).

Rosa Moline Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by howDIDyouBUYit? View Post
    That chick was as nutty as a box fulla squirrels...

I ADORE Joan, but she did have her little "quirks" shall we say, but I love her even more for it, being totally OCD myself.

Has anyone ever read Joan's book "My Way of Life"? it's an absolute blast! kind of a self-help book to mould women into domestic goddesses like Joanie herself..I love the part where she advises (in all seriousness) to go without that new hat so you can treat your hubby to caviar once in a while..okay Joan!

I will defend Joan again that I honestly don't believe she was guilty of child abuse..Christina is a money-grabbing ungrateful selfish person..she even promoted that tawdry tome she wrote with drag queens brandishing wire hangers...really traumatised, I DON"T THINK.

Joan probably did disclipine the children in a way that would be considered extreme today, but the norm in the 40's and 50's, that doesn't make it right, but it doesn't make her an abuser either.

I will say that the film MOMMIE DEAREST is a guilty pleasure of mine though..hence my signature! (I view it as a work of fiction of course!)

Bless you Joan!

tngirl1967 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Moline View Post
    I will defend Joan again that I honestly don't believe she was guilty of child abuse..Christina is a money-grabbing ungrateful selfish person..she even promoted that tawdry tome she wrote with drag queens brandishing wire hangers...really traumatised, I DON"T THINK.

Joan probably did disclipine the children in a way that would be considered extreme today, but the norm in the 40's and 50's, that doesn't make it right, but it doesn't make her an abuser either.
    I tell ya, the more I read about her and the whole situation, the more I honestly feel Christina was lying. I know crap goes on behind closed doors, but jeez...with so many others saying different?? I mean it is just too weird, too weird, too many people saying the total opposite about her. She might have been a very anal uptight person but that doesn't make her out a monster. Hell, my parents got me with switches (yes, thin twitchy tree limbs I had to go pick myself and bring to be hit with) but that was the norm then. Gotta remember....that "Dr. Benjamin Spock" philosophy was running rampant back then, and it was THE book to follow on child rearing.

Tebssis Guest
    I'm kinda like Giada, didn't care that much for her acting unless she was playing an uptight, pompous bitch, which she could play to the hilt. But have to admire her rise to stardom, which she fought tooth and nail for.
    Always thought she was a beauty, especially in her early years, but thought she overdid the make up in her later years, which made her scary looking to me.