Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2936373839 LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,900 of 1942

Thread: Elvis Presley

You mean "We all live in a yellow submarine" didn't make you wanna drop your panties?
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

my mom loved Elvis. I grew with her being all GA GA over him. I really didn't get it until I got older and saw his 69 special, and his Vegas shows.
    You can NOT deny, he had IT. he danced, he had something. yes, he took drugs, but man, he was loved by alot of ppl.
    i will not compare him to other notables. but jfc, he was one of a kind. i went to Graceland a few years ago. let me tell you,
    I was absolutely in awe. i just walked around in a haze. and when me and my partner got to his resting place, we both lost it.
    and she was never a great E fan. she was after all i taught her. heh.

Hell no ! LOL
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    Hell no ! LOL
    Me either, even though I wasn't born until the 60s, so technically they were my parents' age. LOL Elvis, as PiggyTx said, had IT!!!
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

I was comparing the two on YouTube, both had girls going off the deep end of hysteria. Like I said The Beatles just stood there playing (probably to a recording LOL ) Elvis, as PiggyTx said had IT.... watching him was like seeing lightning strike.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

My grandma was a huge Elvis fan. She had an original 45 that was autographed by someone famous in his career (perhaps the colonel himself, my mom can't remember) that was stolen when she started to get dementia and was put in her first assisted living facility. We didn't realize how bad she was and a lot of her stuff was taken before she was put in a higher level of care based on her level of dementia. Sad she was taken advantage of in there. People can be assholes.

Hockeywife Guest
    Elvis was more of an entertainer whereas the Beatles were more musicians. Yes both knew how to do both categories, however, comparing the two is hard.

Yes, Elvis had it, and I sat through most of his movies, and there were several of his songs that I loved, but I was never a true Elvis fan. I preferred the Beatles. Haha. They had different sounds and grooves, and I think they are comparable as fiction genres are comparable. Some people love horror while others love historical. It's a matter of taste.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I don't consider him a "typical" drug addict. Yes he did take drugs, but I believe in his heart he thought he was "good" because they were "prescription" and face it - we know way more about the dangers of prescription drugs now then they did back then. Just like Hollywood handing out Molly's in the 40s and 50s for weight loss, they didn't "get it". If he was snorting coke or shooting black tar I would not have the same respect for him. He was and will always be The King in my eyes.
    My Posse's On Broadway

Elvis Presley

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    I don't consider him a "typical" drug addict. Yes he did take drugs, but I believe in his heart he thought he was "good" because they were "prescription" and face it - we know way more about the dangers of prescription drugs now then they did back then. Just like Hollywood handing out Molly's in the 40s and 50s for weight loss, they didn't "get it". If he was snorting coke or shooting black tar I would not have the same respect for him. He was and will always be The King in my eyes.
    Unfortunately, during the mid-to-later 1970s, he did try Heroin but...he didn't like it because if burned his throat and, sadly, he also tried cocaine - but, it was referred to as "liquid Cocaine", where you take strips and dip them in it and put it up your nose - according to Lamar Fike, you could stay high for days on end with that stuff. Of course, along with that, he did regular Coke as well as Dilaudid, which they give to people with terminal Cancer -- and Elvis did NOT have any types of Cancer in his body.

His Dr. (former Dr. George Nichopolous), who was also a pallbearer at his funeral, made the statement around July, 1973, that "I don't think he's just a medical addict anymore - I think that he's a hard addict." Elvis nearly died from an overdose the previous June, 1973, while on tour.

I've said this before and I will say it again: No matter what you or I think of the guys who were around him - especially in the 1970s when the drug use got really bad for him, if they hadn't been there, we would have lost him a lot sooner than August 16, 1977. Also, people (just fans in general) and even one of the guys, Lamar Fike, even said in 1976 that "he wouldn't be with us much longer" or in Lamar's case, he said, "He'll never see the snow fly, boys, I promise you!" I actually think Lamar knew deep down inside that Elvis wasn't going to be here long that final year - and Elvis, himself, made that same statement albeit in a different way. He said: "I'll never make it much beyond 40! (Even though he and his Mother were 42 & 46, respectively, when they both passed. Gladys lied on her marriage license so that she and Vernon could marry).

That aside, I know that we have all seen the picture of Elvis in his casket a gazillion times. Here's my question about it, though:

It's always been noted that both Elvis and Gladys were laid to rest in similar caskets -- but, when you look at Gladys' casket and then look at Elvis's casket, they do NOT seem to be the same to me?

It's been said that Elvis's casket was a seamless copper deposit weighing 900 pounds but, since I never saw the casket photo for the first time around 1988 (and believe me, it scared the Hell out of me because it was so eerie looking!), I still can't figure out what the actual color of the casket is. It would be nice if someone here were good at putting pictures that are originally in black and white and put them in color. Here are the pictures of the caskets:

Well...crap! I only had the one picture of Elvis in his casket! I must have the picture of Gladys's casket on my computer somewhere. Either way, neither photo looks the same as they have always been purported to look. I'll just leave Elvis's as an example. I've never really known what color his was, either, but I suspect that with it being made of a seamless copper deposit that it was very different.......if anyone here is a member of the RareElvisPresley forum, there is a picture of the casket sitting at Gladys' gravesite with flowers atop and there's a picture of the pallbearers loading it into the hearse.
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 09-06-2015 at 06:58 PM.
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Yes, Elvis had it, and I sat through most of his movies, and there were several of his songs that I loved, but I was never a true Elvis fan. I preferred the Beatles. Haha. They had different sounds and grooves, and I think they are comparable as fiction genres are comparable. Some people love horror while others love historical. It's a matter of taste.
    I am exactly the same way. I prefer the Beatles by far, but I respect what Elvis did, how he changed things, and enjoy some of his songs. But comparing them is like apples and oranges. It's too hard to compare them, because they are so different. Each deserve respect in their own right.

human Guest

"Before Elvis there was nothing." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post

"Before Elvis there was nothing." - John Lennon
    "And after Elvis there hasn't been much either" - Unknown Elvis fan
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by jerryvr View Post
    Word
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

stranger_than_strange Guest
    I couldn't agree more. A few flash in the pan guys but nothing lasting.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger_than_strange View Post
    I couldn't agree more. A few flash in the pan guys but nothing lasting.
    So true !! A good bit of this is due to the state of radio of today. When Elvis was still recording music a lot of his product was heard on so many radio stations from pop to country to even religious ones. Even I can remember hearing Elton John on urban music stations while KISS and The Rolling Stones had even put of dance tracks such as "Miss You" and "I Was made for Loving You". Today's radio bigwigs such as Iheart and CBS would never allow it now.

17. 09-26-2015, 03:36 PM

Bidmor Guest
    The only Grammy(s) Elvis ever received were for his gospel albums, as I recall.

He was raised in Memphis which was a hot bed of not only jazz but gospel, in particular gospel quartets, white and black. He was a particular fan of the two most popular white quartets of the time, The Blackwood Brothers and The Statesmen. Both toured as a team and pretty much called the shots in the world of white professional gospel quartets as both groups had recording contracts with RCA which gave them distribution and high production values. Other groups in the genre used indie labels and no distribution, selling them only at their concerts.

Elvis was drawn to the male quartet sound which stuck with him in his backups later on (Jordanaires then the Stamps) but Elvis learned the value of harmony while he was still driving a truck for a living. Elvis even tried out for a quartet being put together at the Memphis church he attended but was rejected because, although he could sing melody, he couldn't sing harmony. That happened before anyone knew who Elvis Presley was.

He would always attend a Blackwood-Statesmen show in Memphis but when he could no longer afford a ticket, the bass for the Blackwoods, JD Sumner, told the young Elvis to show up at the stage door and JD would let him in. Later on in the late 1950's, three members of the Blackwoods and the Statesmen started an annual giant multi-day show in Memphis called the National Quartet Convention. By then Elvis was well known and his fame growing. Elvis would show up at NQC, later on with his entourage, to hear the groups. It came to a point that Elvis was drawing too much attention away from the shows so one year a small cubicle was placed just off stage in the wings so Elvis could sneak in and hear his favorite groups without anyone in the crowd seeing him.

The Blackwood Brothers were Gladys' favorite group and they sang at her funeral. A mix of the remaining Blackwoods and Statesmen sang at Elvis' funeral. When the Jordanaires decided to retire, Elvis hired one of his idols, JD Sumner, who then owned the Stamps Quartet, to replace the Jordanaires. Sumner was reputed to be the lowest bass in the world. On "Way On Down", that is Sumner hitting those low notes.

As far as radio goes today, there are no disc jockeys with rare exception or in small markets. With huge media groups owning most of the large and mid market stations, we merely have voices who come in every day or so and cut their voice tracks for automation. Whichever group owns any particular station, be it Clear Channel or Cumulus or what have you, they all have their play lists for whatever music format and that's it. Like the pop or modern country, music radio's sound is 99% cookie cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    It really confuses me to see people post answers like the one above......

If he doesn't mean anything to you, why post in a thread about him??

I'm ONLY curious! I'm not asking that question to start any kind of argument or get banned.
    Sorry! I thought this was the Public Enemy thread!
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    The only Grammy(s) Elvis ever received were for his gospel albums, as I recall.

He was raised in Memphis which was a hot bed of not only jazz but gospel, in particular gospel quartets, white and black. He was a particular fan of the two most popular white quartets of the time, The Blackwood Brothers and The Statesmen. Both toured as a team and pretty much called the shots in the world of white professional gospel quartets as both groups had recording contracts with RCA which gave them distribution and high production values. Other groups in the genre used indie labels and no distribution, selling them only at their concerts.

Elvis was drawn to the male quartet sound which stuck with him in his backups later on (Jordanaires then the Stamps) but Elvis learned the value of harmony while he was still driving a truck for a living. Elvis even tried out for a quartet being put together at the Memphis church he attended but was rejected because, although he could sing melody, he couldn't sing harmony. That happened before anyone knew who Elvis Presley was.

He would always attend a Blackwood-Statesmen show in Memphis but when he could no longer afford a ticket, the bass for the Blackwoods, JD Sumner, told the young Elvis to show up at the stage door and JD would let him in. Later on in the late 1950's, three members of the Blackwoods and the Statesmen started an annual giant multi-day show in Memphis called the National Quartet Convention. By then Elvis was well known and his fame growing. Elvis would show up at NQC, later on with his entourage, to hear the groups. It came to a point that Elvis was drawing too much attention away from the shows so one year a small cubicle was placed just off stage in the wings so Elvis could sneak in and hear his favorite groups without anyone in the crowd seeing him.

The Blackwood Brothers were Gladys' favorite group and they sang at her funeral. A mix of the remaining Blackwoods and Statesmen sang at Elvis' funeral. When the Jordanaires decided to retire, Elvis hired one of his idols, JD Sumner, who then owned the Stamps Quartet, to replace the Jordanaires. Sumner was reputed to be the lowest bass in the world. On "Way On Down", that is Sumner hitting those low notes.

As far as radio goes today, there are no disc jockeys with rare exception or in small markets. With huge media groups owning most of the large and mid market stations, we merely have voices who come in every day or so and cut their voice tracks for automation. Whichever group owns any particular station, be it Clear Channel or Cumulus or what have you, they all have their play lists for whatever music format and that's it. Like the pop or modern country, music radio's sound is 99% cookie cutter.

J.D. Sumner was, in fact, the lowest bass singer in the world and was listed in the Guiness book of World Records for having been so. Unfortunately, someone actually beat him and J.D. is no longer listed in the GBOWW for this feat. He hit a double low "C" on "Way Down" - which would be Elvis's final recording released during his lifetime.

As for his return to live performances and not using the Jordanaires? It wasn't that they had retired - they didn't - it was just that they were making more money doing sessions in Nashville, TN. However, when you look back at what Elvis paid his musicians weekly (he paid guitarist, James Burton, $5,000.00 a week when in Vegas. Four weeks of that kind of money is $20,000.00 for the month! Not a bad job, I say!)

The Stamps worked with Elvis from November, 1971 until June 26, 1977. My favorite lineup of that group was the one shown in the 1972 documentary, "Elvis On Tour":

Bass: J.D. Sumner
    Bass: Richard Sterban (Sterban would leave in late '72 to join the "Oak Ridge Boys" and he's still with them today).
    Lead: Ed Enoch
    Baritone: Donnie Sumner (J.D's nephew)
    Tenor: Bill Baize (Baize left the group in 1976 because he felt the call to minister which is what he is still doing today).

After Sterban left, there were a few personnel changes with people like Dave Rowland (of the country trio, "Dave & Sugar"); Ed Wideman (Ed can be seen standing next to J.D. during the "Aloha From Hawaii concert); Ed Hill (Ed took over the "Elvis Has Left The Building" announcement from the late Al Dvorin in 1975). And Ron Booth, Sr. of The Booth Brothers Gospel trio also sang with the Stamps for a little while. Buck Buckles was the last tenor in the group before J.D. retired the group and formed "The Masters V" quartet with Jake Hess, Hovie Lister, Rosie Rosell, J.D. & James Blackwood. Here's more info if interested:

The Masters V Quartet

And here's a performance from 1985 of The Masters V (so named because of the legendary Gospel singers in the group at the time):

The Masters V - 1985
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

J.D. Sumner was, in fact, the lowest bass singer in the world and was listed in the Guiness book of World Records for having been so. Unfortunately, someone actually beat him and J.D. is no longer listed in the GBOWW for this feat. He hit a double low "C" on "Way Down" - which would be Elvis's final recording released during his lifetime.

As for his return to live performances and not using the Jordanaires? It wasn't that they had retired - they didn't - it was just that they were making more money doing sessions in Nashville, TN. However, when you look back at what Elvis paid his musicians weekly (he paid guitarist, James Burton, $5,000.00 a week when in Vegas. Four weeks of that kind of money is $20,000.00 for the month! Not a bad job, I say!)

The Stamps worked with Elvis from November, 1971 until June 26, 1977. My favorite lineup of that group was the one shown in the 1972 documentary, "Elvis On Tour":

Bass: J.D. Sumner
    Bass: Richard Sterban (Sterban would leave in late '72 to join the "Oak Ridge Boys" and he's still with them today).
    Lead: Ed Enoch
    Baritone: Donnie Sumner (J.D's nephew)
    Tenor: Bill Baize (Baize left the group in 1976 because he felt the call to minister which is what he is still doing today).

After Sterban left, there were a few personnel changes with people like Dave Rowland (of the country trio, "Dave & Sugar"); Ed Wideman (Ed can be seen standing next to J.D. during the "Aloha From Hawaii concert); Ed Hill (Ed took over the "Elvis Has Left The Building" announcement from the late Al Dvorin in 1975). And Ron Booth, Sr. of The Booth Brothers Gospel trio also sang with the Stamps for a little while. Buck Buckles was the last tenor in the group before J.D. retired the group and formed "The Masters V" quartet with Jake Hess, Hovie Lister, Rosie Rosell, J.D. & James Blackwood. Here's more info if interested:

The Masters V Quartet

And here's a performance from 1985 of The Masters V (so named because of the legendary Gospel singers in the group at the time):

The Masters V - 1985

Nice piece of info Tony, thanks.

Little Chief Guest
    I really enjoy his gospel music, maybe just as much as (if not a bit more) his rock n roll hits.

I've got a question that has been bugging me for a very long time.

I've got pictures (yes, that is plural) of Elvis in his casket but - I'm confused a bit.

How does one picture go from the dark picture on the right (the original - or a copy of said original) to the lighter picture on the left?

Is or was it the magic of the editors of the NE?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elvis Casket Photos 001.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	53715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elvis Casket Photos 011.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	53714  
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 05-03-2016 at 03:34 PM.

I've got a question that has been bugging me for a very long time.

I've got pictures (yes, that is plural) of Elvis in his casket but - I'm confused a bit.

How does one picture go from the dark picture on the right (the original - or a copy of said original) to the lighter picture on the left?

Is or was it the magic of the editors of the NE?

Thanks!
    Yes. There are apps on image editors that allow you brighten or darken.

I was looking over celebrity death pics on pinterest and ran across one that was supposed to be the King dead on the throng. Uh, nope, not Elvis.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Yes. There are apps on image editors that allow you brighten or darken.
    Thanks for that info.

I was looking over celebrity death pics on pinterest and ran across one that was supposed to be the King dead on the throng. Uh, nope, not Elvis.

Correct. There are absolutely NO pictures of Elvis from the death scene inspite of what some fans might think. I've read that there may have been photos taken at the death scene after he died but - they were destroyed. Those images also include autopsy photos - but I've never gotten a definitive answer as to whether any photos were taken during the autopsy. I read that there may be a slide of photos that include the side of his face but - no more than that. However, this hasn't ever been verified.

Personally, the Death Hag in me would like to know, once and for all, if there were photos taken that day. In 2027, when the fifty-year limit is up on the autopsy report being sealed, the autopsy report is supposed to be released to the public and I hope we find out what killed Elvis - even though one pathologist firmly said that it was a sudden and very violent heart attack and that no one could have saved him - even if they had been in the room when he suffered the heart attack. I think that's the saddest thing as far as Elvis's death goes.....

Thanks for that info.
    You're welcome.

Correct. There are absolutely NO pictures of Elvis from the death scene inspite of what some fans might think. I've read that there may have been photos taken at the death scene after he died but - they were destroyed. Those images also include autopsy photos - but I've never gotten a definitive answer as to whether any photos were taken during the autopsy. I read that there may be a slide of photos that include the side of his face but - no more than that. However, this hasn't ever been verified.

Personally, the Death Hag in me would like to know, once and for all, if there were photos taken that day. In 2027, when the fifty-year limit is up on the autopsy report being sealed, the autopsy report is supposed to be released to the public and I hope we find out what killed Elvis - even though one pathologist firmly said that it was a sudden and very violent heart attack and that no one could have saved him - even if they had been in the room when he suffered the heart attack. I think that's the saddest thing as far as Elvis's death goes.....
    It is.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Home Movies

GOD IS NOT DEAD

39 years ago today... RIP Elvis

39 years ago today... RIP Elvis
    tomorrow - August 16/1977

I got a couple Elvis records on vinyl and someone in my family had some sense to shove a special edition of the news paper all about Elvis in the sleeve. It's a pretty cool piece of history.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    tomorrow - August 16/1977
    There are 1 or 2 people that do not live in the US...

There are 1 or 2 people that do not live in the US...
    He still died on August 16 - doesn't matter where you live. JFK was killed on November 22/1963 which was November 23 in Australia but everyone commemorates November 22. Duh.
    Last edited by cash; 08-23-2016 at 02:43 PM.

RIP Elvis. Hard to believe it's been 39 years.

He still died on August 16 - doesn't matter where you live. JFK was killed on November 22/1963 which was November 23 in Australia but everyone commemorates November 22. Duh.
    I posted on August 16th... You really are behind in everything it seems...

35. 08-24-2016, 04:30 PM

you posted on August 15 at 8:09 pm - you continue to be wrong.
    Last edited by cash; 08-24-2016 at 04:35 PM.

you posted on August 15 at 8:09 pm - you continue to be wrong.
    Damn - this is starting to feel like the Donald Trump thread.

I drove past Graceland several years ago - there were probably a couple of dozen people standing out in freezing rain at the gate; I guess waiting to get in for the tour or something.

I also saw a Cadillac that had belonged to Elvis at a casino car show. It had an early "mobile phone" - damned thing was as big as a small suitcase, laying on the passenger side floorboard.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I finally got to see Graceland! (And the National Civil Rights Museum AND Sun Records!) Glad the planes were still there, totally blown away that I was actually in Elvis Presley's house.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    I finally got to see Graceland! (And the National Civil Rights Museum AND Sun Records!) Glad the planes were still there, totally blown away that I was actually in Elvis Presley's house.
    Don't you just love the 70's decor? It's so tacky! I was there around 1993 and at the time there was an aunt of Elvis' still living there. At the time, there was a section of the house roped off, including the upstairs which is still roped off, and his aunt lived there. It was in Elvis' will that she live there until she died and I know she's dead now but I don't know when she died.
    I got to see Martin Luther King's caddy and the hotel room with the wreath on the door. Got to go by Sun Records but didn't go in. Can you go in? This was on the Delta Ducks tour that I saw the last two.
    I've been to Memphis twice since then, to Beale Street. I love Beale Street! I got to see BB King play in his bar the last time I was there. That was 2009 or 2010.

Oh I forgot to add that the first time I went to Memphis, when we went to Graceland, we also went inside Kiva recording studios. I was more stoked for that because I was worshipping the ground that Stevie Ray Vaughn recorded on. I was there with my boyfriend's band and they got to record in that studio.
    Last edited by Domino; 09-20-2016 at 11:58 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gone 40 years today

Interesting remix on an Elvis song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx1_6F-nCaw
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

40 years gone - wow

Interesting article on how the media was caught off guard by his death 1977

http://nationalpost.com/entertainmen...9-58fa496a06a5

Yes, I'm pretty sure he's a dead, I'm not one of the non believers on this one. It's such a shame that this talented man died so young, he was such an inspiration with a kind and gentle soul, he helped so many. RIP Elvis.

Happy Birthday, Elvis!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Interesting article on how the media was caught off guard by his death 1977

http://nationalpost.com/entertainmen...9-58fa496a06a5
    I still remember that day, had an afternoon paper route,
    and looking down at that headline.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

It's one of those Where were you? thingys. Sissy and I were on our way to see Smokey and the Bandit when she told me he was dead.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Today is also my grandpas birthday he would have been 92, I dontget Elvis' popularity I dont really care for his music but anyway happy Birthday

49. 01-11-2019, 09:04 AM

50. 01-12-2019, 03:38 AM

I heard Parker wouldn't let him go anywhere outside the States.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I heard Parker wouldn't let him go anywhere outside the States.
    he had three performances in Canada in April 1957 which were his only concerts outside the USA

https://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au...7-april-2.html

he had three performances in Canada in April 1957 which were his only concerts outside the USA

https://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au...7-april-2.html

I didn't know about this. Whatever it was I read must have meant across the pond and over the Rio. It's been a long time since I even thought about it.

Parker wouldn't all him to take at least one part in a movie--remake of A Star is Born--that would have revived his career. Another rumor, perhaps.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD