Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 24313233
Results 1,601 to 1,648 of 1648

Thread: Cheesy things from the 80'S

I was one of the original employee's for SWA in OKC. The Ticket Agents had to wear hot pants and go go boots. Sucked for them. I started on the ramp and wore a orange jumpsuit. It just said SWA instead of ODOC. When I got in to Op's we had had to wear polyester suits that had a red coat. I felt like a fucking real estate agent. That shit sucked when the jetway was 120 and the wind off the ramp not much cooler.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Had a blue jean pocketbook too!

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    Had a blue jean pocketbook too!
    Me, too. That acid washed shit cost a fortune and fell apart in no time.

Me, too. That acid washed shit cost a fortune and fell apart in no time.
    It sure did. I also had jeans with zippers on the back at the heel. And bows too.

I had one of those Bermuda bags. Although I didn't have the different covers so you could change the fabric on it. And mine was a small one, but I loved it!! Good times. I think that is the pure that got me addicted to pocketbooks!!

Is that a Members Only jacket? My ex husband had one of those in leather. It was grey in color. He wore it all the time.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

I'm sure I had mentioned this before but one of the best things about the 80's was what was considered to be "top 40" music. Little bit of everything for everybody. Check out this list from early 1980 what was hot on Washington DC's Q107 radio ( then owned by ABC ). Yeah some of those tunes may be considered cheesy now but it's hardly like today's so-called top 40 that more/less sounds the same and strictly for the young.

Attachment 51916

..though this is from late 1979 here is a similar list from Baltimore's long defunct WFBR..and they were on AM too.

Attachment 51917

Attachment 51918
    Last edited by choff; 11-24-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    I had one of those Bermuda bags. Although I didn't have the different covers so you could change the fabric on it. And mine was a small one, but I loved it!! Good times. I think that is the pure that got me addicted to pocketbooks!!

Is that a Members Only jacket? My ex husband had one of those in leather. It was grey in color. He wore it all the time.
    I loved those purses with the covers that could be switched out. I had one cover with my initials embroidered on it that I got for Christmas one year and it was my favorite. I also had a Members Only jacket in my junior year of high school. It was charcoal gray.

I still love the music, Choff, and loved listening to the top forty countdowns. It really bothered me when Casey Kasem died because his voice was a big part of my teen years.

I still love the music, Choff, and loved listening to the top forty countdowns. It really bothered me when Casey Kasem died because his voice was a big part of my teen years.
    I agree Mammy. Besides Casey there were many MANY others who did those countdown shows back in the 80's. I remember the ones by Scott Shannon, John Leader and I think even Dick Clark himself had a countdown show too back then. Besides Casey Kasem's my favorite was a countdown program called 20/20. They would play the top 20 tunes but then they would play what was the hit at that position back in the day. For example when they would play the current hit at number 6 they would then play what song was at number 6 during some year on the date in the past. Very cool !!

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    I agree Mammy. Besides Casey there were many MANY others who did those countdown shows back in the 80's. I remember the ones by Scott Shannon, John Leader and I think even Dick Clark himself had a countdown show too back then. Besides Casey Kasem's my favorite was a countdown program called 20/20. They would play the top 20 tunes but then they would play what was the hit at that position back in the day. For example when they would play the current hit at number 6 they would then play what song was at number 6 during some year on the date in the past. Very cool !!
    I mostly remember Casey Kasem's countdowns and his long distance song dedications. Dick Clark still had American Bandstand on television on Saturdays. I don't remember the other guys you mentioned. I get so nostalgic over how things used to be. It seems like so long ago.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Remember the sticky spiders? Throw em on walls and they slowly work their way down.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    Remember the sticky spiders? Throw em on walls and they slowly work their way down.

I remember them. God, we were easily amused! Lol

heh I'm trying to remember the name of those worm toys. God they are even hard to explain :/ They were like 6 inches long or so and the material was like a balloon. It was liquid inside and it like folded in on itself. So you'd let it slide through one hand and into the other and so on. Remember those? I keep wanting to call it The Worm for some reason but I don't think that's what it was named.

Mammy Guest
    heh I'm trying to remember the name of those worm toys. God they are even hard to explain :/ They were like 6 inches long or so and the material was like a balloon. It was liquid inside and it like folded in on itself. So you'd let it slide through one hand and into the other and so on. Remember those? I keep wanting to call it The Worm for some reason but I don't think that's what it was named.
    Weren't they usually in bubblegum machines inside the little prize eggs? I know what you are talking about. They were like really durable boogers.

Weren't they usually in bubblegum machines inside the little prize eggs? I know what you are talking about. They were like really durable boogers.
    No. These were way too big for that. Ugh... it's driving me nuts!!!

Mammy Guest
    No. These were way too big for that. Ugh... it's driving me nuts!!!
    These were what I had in mind.

Attachment 51924

Nah. This toy wasn't sticky. It's like a balloon with liquid in it that folds into itself. Like 6-8 inches long. 2-3 inches thick. My description sounds like a set up for a dick joke but that's seriously the description lol

Mammy Guest
    Nah. This toy wasn't sticky. It's like a balloon with liquid in it that folds into itself. Like 6-8 inches long. 2-3 inches thick. My description sounds like a set up for a dick joke but that's seriously the description lol
    Well, apparently I don't know what you were referring to after all and I'm not about to do a Google search with that description. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I was one of the original employee's for SWA in OKC. The Ticket Agents had to wear hot pants and go go boots. Sucked for them. I started on the ramp and wore a orange jumpsuit. It just said SWA instead of ODOC. When I got in to Op's we had had to wear polyester suits that had a red coat. I felt like a fucking real estate agent. That shit sucked when the jetway was 120 and the wind off the ramp not much cooler.
    Haaa! I remember those outfits.

Well, apparently I don't know what you were referring to after all and I'm not about to do a Google search with that description. LOL
    Good luck. I've been doing the same. No luck so far

Mammy Guest
    Good luck. I've been doing the same. No luck so far
    My husband remembers them, too, but also can't remember what they were called.

These?

Attachment 51926
    Last edited by Mammy; 11-24-2014 at 06:36 PM.

YES!!!! Those!!!! But the ones I remember were solid colors but YES those are it!!! Thank YOU!!!

Mammy Guest
    YES!!!! Those!!!! But the ones I remember were solid colors but YES those are it!!! Thank YOU!!!
    From what I found, they were called water tubes or water snakes. I know those were girly looking, but it was the clearest picture I saw. Lol

Attachment 51927

Did anyone do the 20 Minute Workout ? I did, I thought Bess was so cool ! I would think that was good today, then light a cigarette ! Lol
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 11-24-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    Did anyone do the 20 Minute Workout ? I did, I thought Bess was so cool ! I would think that was good today, then light a cigarette ! Lol
    No, I was a "Sweatin To The Oldies kinda girl!" I freakin LOVE Richard Simmons.

Those are more like the ones I had mammy. They were a freakin CRAZE for like 20 minutes. Seriously I think it was like one summer and half a school year. Short but insane.

Mammy Guest
    Those are more like the ones I had mammy. They were a freakin CRAZE for like 20 minutes. Seriously I think it was like one summer and half a school year. Short but insane.
    I had something totally different in mind until I asked my husband about them and he described them the same way that you did. I kinda remember them, but never had any. You are also several years younger than I am.

Richard Simmons. Is he the epitome of the 80's or what

I remember when he used to go on Letterman and scare the crap outta him with his unabashed self, lol.

I also remember that pic of him wearing fruit and veggies we posted around here somewhere, hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post

I remember when he used to go on Letterman and scare the crap outta him with his unabashed self, lol.

I also remember that pic of him wearing fruit and veggies we posted around here somewhere, hahaha.
    Dave always went after Richard with a fire extinguisher. God I laughed til I cried.

I remember the 20 Minute Workout TV show from the 80's. Didn't last very long unfortunately. If memory serves I think I can remember reading in TV Guide at the time one reason was that the show had far more male viewers ( for obvious reasons LOL ) than with females and females were their target audience..well so they said anyway. I also remember those Jane Fonda workout videos too. They were actually quite successful for a time.

hahaha I remember the organ guy!! He was weird.

Mammy Guest

Yes, Richard Simmons is the perfect 80's symbol. I think he is hilarious and I absolutely adore him.

Dave always went after Richard with a fire extinguisher. God I laughed til I cried.
    Ahaha! I forgot about that!

Yes, Richard Simmons is the perfect 80's symbol. I think he is hilarious and I absolutely adore him.
    Last time I saw him in anything was in one of Scott's tour buses in a video posted on the main site. Has he done anything lately?

Mammy Guest
    Ahaha! I forgot about that!

Last time I saw him in anything was in one of Scott's tour buses in a video posted on the main site. Has he done anything lately?
    Not that I'm aware of.

Richard is in a bad state... allegedly. He hasn't been seen away from home in over a year and speculation is he's in mourning for his dog. I just saw a story on it the other day. Let me see if I can find it.... here we go... love the pic of him in the peter pan pose. I'm assuming it's fake fur.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2011525

Mammy Guest
    He always has a pose. That's just Richard. I think he looks great and really doesn't seem to have aged at all. Thank you for the link.

Have you seen Richard Simmons on Who's Line is it Anyway? He was hysterical! He's even more flamboyant now than he was in the 80's!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Have you seen Richard Simmons on Who's Line is it Anyway? He was hysterical! He's even more flamboyant now than he was in the 80's!
    Yes, my husband showed it to me! I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life. My husband has never really understood my fascination with Richard, but he was laughing as hard as I was over that show.

Yeah. Back in the 80's we didn't have the internet or even decent cable in a lot of places. Nothing compared to the hundreds of channels we have now. So we had many a sleepover where Richard Simmons infomercials kept us entertained late at night. That Tilton televangelist was good for that too. When he'd start talking in tongues and shit. I remember there was one infomercial that was so fucking funny. It was for a stun gun. I think it was called the XR-5000. Hilarious..... ahhh the memories.

Yes, my husband showed it to me! I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life. My husband has never really understood my fascination with Richard, but he was laughing as hard as I was over that show.
    *Pokes around on youtube hoping it's there

Would James Spader be considered something (or someone) cheesy from the 80's? What I can't get over is how different he looks now (without plastic surgery, just weight gain and hair loss I guess). Great actor though. I couldn't stand him in the 80's but now I appreciate his acting now and I loved him in Boston Legal. But in the 80's he always played the guy you loved to hate and he did it with little effort.

There was some Sci Fi movie on the Sci Fi channel over the weekend (clearly from the 80's because Spader was much younger in it). That is what got me to thinking about him.

He was on the last few seasons of The Office. Pretty funny too as the pseudo intellectual boss who's wife later divorced him and he went nuts. Very convincing.

He looks exactly the same to me minus some hair and added girth that comes with natural aging.

Back in the 80's I remember him playing the snobbish preppy pushing people around. Sweater tied around the neck, Izod shirts and all that. But can't remember which movie it was. It also starred a handful of the infamous Brat Pack.

*Pokes around on youtube hoping it's there
    Here you go: http://youtu.be/13DeAngDXbQ

It's not the greatest copy but it was the first one I found that had the entire show he was on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

80's holiday gifts for the 80's lover. I love the Lampoon cup. http://www.liketotally80s.com/2014/1...ft-guide-2014/

Prime Minister from Canada: Brian Mulroney and
    Margaret Thatcher from the UK: We hate them both.
    During the early 1980s.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

He was on the last few seasons of The Office. Pretty funny too as the pseudo intellectual boss who's wife later divorced him and he went nuts. Very convincing.

He looks exactly the same to me minus some hair and added girth that comes with natural aging.

Back in the 80's I remember him playing the snobbish preppy pushing people around. Sweater tied around the neck, Izod shirts and all that. But can't remember which movie it was. It also starred a handful of the infamous Brat Pack.
    Pretty in Pink.

I remember there was one infomercial that was so fucking funny. It was for a stun gun. I think it was called the XR-5000. Hilarious..... ahhh the memories.
    I seem to remember that stun gun informercial. I can also remember back in the late 80's MTV would air the heck out of the Art Institutes "Music & Video" program informerical giving viewers the idea that if they took those classes ( which BTW were VERY expensive and also meant moving to Seattle or Denver to attend those so-called classes ) then he/she could get a job with some heavy metal band working as a roadie. Ah the reality is that unless one is a sexy young chick willing to do the band "personal favors" the odds of getting a job with one of those bands such as Guns & Roses or Poison is about the same as winning the powerball jackpot.