Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sister Wives

Sister Wives

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=598335&GT1=28103

Apparently, there is a new "reality" show called Sister Wives- it features some guy and his 4 wives and family et al.

Now the cops are looking into it and considering bringing polygamy charges against them. Polygamy is a 3rd degree felony, but rarely pursued.

Methinks, if you're going to do something that's known to be illegal on TV, then bed, made, lie.

Personally, I think if they're happy, what's the big fricken deal?
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Giada Guest
    Another contrived, "staged, scripted, reality show."

The man has, "one legal wife." The rest simply use the word wife, without legal benefit.

The only thing I would bring into question is if they are receiving, "public benefits to support their lifestyle."

(Warren Jeffs ... multiple, "wives on welfare.")

That is true- I guess I should amend my statement to- if it works for them and they can support themselves, then who fricken cares?

stacebabe Guest
    It's really not a bad idea when I think about it. I could use a few wives to pick up and do laundry, and even have sex. Hell, that sounds perfect.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I watched the first episode. That guy is a weirdo. His hair is...well, I am left to believe he let it grow that way so that one day he'll have his own Halloween mask a la Don King & Kate plus 8.

The third wife is my favorite. She's not gonna take well to that new wifey though.

I don't care if a person wants to have ten wives or husbands. As long as all the players are consenting adults, etc.

As for this show, nah... I'll wait for Big Love to come back around again. The airwaves are flooded with documentaries about polygamy right now - especially the Documentary Channel. Some really good ones too.

And yeah DCoE, you'd think if a person was going to be on a reality show and was doing something illegal, they'd think twice before going ahead with it.

Desertrose Guest
    I really don't care what consenting adults want to do. However, bringing children into this and raising them this way I disagree with. Even some of their own children don't like what is going on.

I just want to kick that guy right in his smarmy face and shake those gals, but eh.. whatever.

Desertrose Guest
    This is a guy who has one legal wife, the others are spirit wives and those children are born out of wedlock. Taking on other wives means he can have affairs without cheating. How convenient. I would like to see a wife having "brother husbands". The only real reason that wouldn't work because one woman cannot produce as many children in such a short time as one man having several wives who are constantly producing. The way they keep reproducing their beliefs - at least raising their children believing this is acceptable.

KarmaKat Guest
    Apparently they being investigated for bigamy now

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...ted-for-bigamy

NewYorkDoll Guest
    he looks like vince neil after he got his facelift and makeover on vh1.

STsFirstmate Guest
    They interviewed an official from the Utah DA's office on the Today show. They asked him what the ramification of polygamy is if only one wife has a official marriage certificate and the rest are common law?
    His answer was that if they were co-habiting as man and wife and met the criteria for common-law then they were breaking the law.
    I have pretty mixed feelings about it.
    If they are not officially married then how can it be illegal but as he explained they could sue for spousal support and claim property upon his death etc because of how Utah recognizes common -law relationships between men and women ( gay people can still go pound sand).
    Part of me says live and let live and if all parties are consenting adults and there is no coercion or domestic violence and the kids are treated appropriately and well then this country is based in freedom of religion.
    When we lived in Queens years ago there was a family that lived over us. The were a bit older than us and it was a husband, wife and her "sister" from Africa.
    After we got to know them better they acknowledged they were both his wives of many years. Man you could hear the two of them going at him in their native tongue. Heaven help the poor dude. He was totally outnumbered!
    I am really torn on this one I guess.
    Regards,
    mary

Giada Guest
    State of Utah is looking into possible issues of fraud. And where the children are concerned I find it a form of abuse to put the family and their alternate lifestyle in public.

Kids go through enough without being subject to public harassment due to the parent's lifestyle.

(As for polygamy ... consenting adults, I have no concern).

The only reason I would think the state should be involved in this is if the kids are in danger or they are scamming public assistance. The kids seem very well taken care of.

As much as I'm giggling at this, it's not the state's business is they want to live like that as long as the kids are safe and they aren't getting assistance by scamming.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post
    he looks like vince neil after he got his facelift and makeover on vh1.

LMHOOOOOOO

Please please someone do a side by side for the look a like thread.

KarmaKat Guest
    If that is the way that they want to live and the children are well protected, taken care of and safe then what is the real problem? I know there are moral conflicts here but i think sometimes people need to be more open to others ideals. Its not something I personally would be comfortable with and never do myself but if its how others want to live then so be it.

HappyCat Guest
    I must admit, I watched the show. I was impressed by how organized the house seemed and how happy the children looked. I really liked the "wives" and what they had to say about how they felt about the plural lifestyle they lead. But, I have to say that there was something about the guy that creeped me out. He just seemed to me to have a smirk on his face the whole time like the cat that just ate the canary.

I agree with some of the comments above. If they aren't milking the system, the children are happy, healthy and loved and the adults get along well then good for them. It's not a lifestyle that I would be comfortable with though.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I am with the person who said they'd love to see brother husbands. LOL I'm sure that'd go over really well. This plural marriage bs is a hot steaming pile. These women don't need to "work on their jealousy" they each need their own freakin man.

KarmaKat Guest
    Yeah the one thing these woman can not complain about is Jealousy.

HappyCat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KarmaKat View Post
    Yeah the one thing these woman can not complain about is Jealousy.
    Yeah, seriously. They went into this arrangement knowing they would have to share their man. They have to suck it up.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Polyandry is when the shoe is on the other foot and women have more than one husband.

Ok, so, more Polyandry and less Polygamy for a change

I'm in agreement about the whole "consenting adults" thing. If they're basically happy, then they're welcome to it. One of the advantages I can see is having other women around to (theoretically) support you. Yes, women can get bitchy and jealous, but have you ever seen them gang up on a man?! Carnage. The man would have no chance.

I could really use another husband, actually. Mine is away 2/3 of the year and works 12-hour days when he's not. He's about the least handy person I know (I've learned to build and fix things over the years just for survival purposes), and he's not the least good or interested in sports. So I need at least one more husband!

Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    I'm in agreement about the whole "consenting adults" thing. If they're basically happy, then they're welcome to it. One of the advantages I can see is having other women around to (theoretically) support you. Yes, women can get bitchy and jealous, but have you ever seen them gang up on a man?! Carnage. The man would have no chance.
    LOL

Too true! Post of the day even.

I could really use another husband, actually. Mine is away 2/3 of the year and works 12-hour days when he's not. He's about the least handy person I know (I've learned to build and fix things over the years just for survival purposes), and he's not the least good or interested in sports. So I need at least one more husband!
    Or a sister wife who's good at that stuff?

j/k

Don't look at me. One spouse is P-lenty here.

Speaking of that, I asked my husband what he thought of polygamy about a month ago when we were watching the Lost Boys of (some polygamist compound and the name escapes me at the mo') on the DOC channel. He looked at me, held his hands up in the sign of the cross and said pretty much the same thing you did in your first paragraph. After that he walked straight into the kitchen, emptied the dishwasher, rinsed all the dinner dishes, popped them in the dishwasher and wiped off the counters, which he normally never does.

Desertrose Guest
    Sometimes I wonder why my ex-husband didn't consider polygamy. He was very good at it.

The first wife intruiges me. I wonder why they only had one child together...

Giada Guest
    Polyandry ... global practice, pragmatic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyandry

"Manufactured controversy for reality shows," ...

And this is another in the bunch.

Desertrose Guest
    I guess wife #1 Mari was only able to have one child, hasn't been able to get preggers again. Christine, wifey#3 is "devastated" that Kory sealed his engagement to Robin with a kiss. She said she never kissed him until after they were married, because it was wrong to kiss a married man. Guess it wasn't a problem though to marry a married man.

growl Guest
    Personally, I'm finding the subject matter for all these reality shows is growing more and more bizarre. I havent watched this one, I found the promos enough. There must be a great deal of money involved in having your own reality show. Otherwise why would these people risk being investigated?
    It will be interesting to see where they will draw the line on weird family situations to film. Maybe child molesters will be next! Jeeez!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulcinea View Post
    The first wife intruiges me. I wonder why they only had one child together...
    She said she hasn't been able to have more. She seemed like she's struggled with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrose View Post
    I guess wife #1 Mari was only able to have one child, hasn't been able to get preggers again. Christine, wifey#3 is "devastated" that Kory sealed his engagement to Robin with a kiss. She said she never kissed him until after they were married, because it was wrong to kiss a married man. Guess it wasn't a problem though to marry a married man.
    Yeah I am confused about the part where the married man courts the single woman & invites her over to play with his kids.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    She said she hasn't been able to have more. She seemed like she's struggled with it. .

Which makes me wonder if he didn't brow beat her into having more wives because she couldn't have more?

God, I'm so hateful.

Desertrose Guest
    And that is exactly what I don't understand. It's one thing to have x amount of wives, but why have so many children?

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by okidoll View Post
    Which makes me wonder if he didn't brow beat her into having more wives because she couldn't have more?

God, I'm so hateful.

I can imagine how she must feel, seeing the other women keep getting pregnant. I'm surprised she's not more bitter. Wow what if she goes Waco on them all?

Well no, he said he was married to all three before the first child was ever born. I just don't remember her saying exactly that she COULDN'T have more children, she just seemed very evasive about the topic.

RaRaRamona Guest
    She said a few times that she wanted to have more but that it hasn't been in the cards.

rjbrasher Guest
    If i had multi husbands i would have me a gay man, he can help with the cooking and keeping the house clean and totally fabulous, and go shopping or cry on his shoulder without being hit on or hey lets fuck Then I would have me a man about my age all hunky and strong, so if i need anything moved, built or what not i can ask him. Then I would have a much older man and he would be my advisor, I would cherish his wisdom and experiences from back in the day. Then i would have my everyday hubby to help take care of the kids, be my lover and so on. But i wouldn't label the rest as husbands they would just be roommates hahahahaha

Mammy Guest
    I haven't watched this show, nor will I. People can live their own lives how they choose, but I cannot comprehend living this way. I adore my husband of 17 years. I am quite territorial, he is MINE and I refuse to share! No way could I deal with living like these women do.

Quote Originally Posted by rjbrasher View Post
    If i had multi husbands i would have me a gay man, he can help with the cooking and keeping the house clean and totally fabulous, and go shopping or cry on his shoulder without being hit on or hey lets fuck Then I would have me a man about my age all hunky and strong, so if i need anything moved, built or what not i can ask him. Then I would have a much older man and he would be my advisor, I would cherish his wisdom and experiences from back in the day. Then i would have my everyday hubby to help take care of the kids, be my lover and so on. But i wouldn't label the rest as husbands they would just be roommates hahahahaha

That totally sounds like a plan....

Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post

We here is Wisconsin found out earlier in the year when women gang up on a guy. A bunch of women held the guy who was cheating on all of them and superglued his weiner to his stomach. Not kidding...

rjbrasher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    We here is Wisconsin found out earlier in the year when women gang up on a guy. A bunch of women held the guy who was cheating on all of them and superglued his weiner to his stomach. Not kidding...
    omg i had to laugh at this. Holy shit!

STORMIE Guest
    I watched the episode that was on last night. The husband comes across to me as kind of cocky and self centered. I guess they are claiming this is a religious thing for them. What I don't understand is what is he sacrificing to have this family? Certainly not that fancy little sports car he is driving. He reminds of a guy you would meet in a bar who would try to impress you but really come off like a pathetic asshole.

My husband happened to be upstairs when this was on. It is like a train wreck for me... He was watching on and off because he said he just "couldn't process" it, lol. Anyway, of the few comments he DID make, one was that he (my husband) felt that the dad/husband didn't really seem to "do" much around the house or with the family (besides MAKING more kids).

How much did you LOVE the one daughter who said she would NOT marry into a polygamous family?

PS: Emotions seem to run really HIGH with this group. EVERYONE was crying.

Quote Originally Posted by STORMIE View Post
    Certainly not that fancy little sports car he is driving. He reminds of a guy you would meet in a bar who would try to impress you but really come off like a pathetic asshole.

Perfect description for what I was thinking.

RaRaRamona Guest
    The fourth wife seems like a B. I couldn't believe it when she said she liked the thought of all those people raising her kids for her.

Desertrose Guest
    She needs the help, her kids aren't exactly well mannered. However, if I were one of the other wives I would really resent taking on some other woman's children to raise, after all this time. When they do their interviews or confessions, whatever they are, and Kody has one arm around one wife and reaches over the other wife to put his hand on the knee of the wife who isn't sitting right next to him, I just want to smack him. (Kind of reminds me of Hugh Hefner and his three chickies, poor Kendra never got to sit next to him or stand next to him - ha). And he looks at them like he is either pissed off about what they are saying or he just doesn't have a clue. Whatever they do, it worked well for them for the last 16 years. To "reward" himself with another marriage is really nothing more than having an affair and justifying it with a commitment marriage. Guess he just needs new body parts to play with.

STORMIE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by okidoll View Post
    Perfect description for what I was thinking.

Also, he doesn't seem too bright.

Quote Originally Posted by STORMIE View Post
    Also, he doesn't seem too bright.
    Someone asked when "Shaggy" from Scooby Doo became a polygamist.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulcinea View Post
    Someone asked when "Shaggy" from Scooby Doo became a polygamist.
    ROFL!!!

NaCl Guest
    This is not a victimless life style. If it was just a guy having sex with 3 or 4 women, I wouldn't care. BUT it is much more than that. There are CHILDREN and lots of them! What does this guy do for a living to support 3 or 4 wives and 13+ children?

The problem is that he or others like him have one LEGAL wife, and the others and their children are viewed as single parents of lots of children that qualify them for government handouts of welfare, food stamps, free medical care, etc. all at the expense of the rest of us taxpayers!

Televising this family is giving tacit approval and in fact "glamorizes" a lifestyle that is costly to all of us and is harmful to the children that grow up in polygamous families. Polygamous families have learned how to milk the system to ensure that they have maximum government benefits and pay little or no taxes in exchange.

Added to that problem is the over production of males that are often turned away from the polygamous cult because there are too many males for the number of available females when it is mating time. These young men are often shunned and left to fend for themselves as mere teens, often without education beyond the 8th grade. As cult rejects, they often turn to drugs, drinking and other illegal activities like male prostitution merely to survive.

This lifestyle is much more than a cute TV program. It is NOT a victimless and harmless way of life.

Desertrose Guest
    I really don't know what his job is - he says a salesman - although he drives a mighty fine looking car. I do know he is salesman of B.S.

He has a Lexus and they have at least one Suburban (or suburban type SUV). I'm sure they have more than two cars.