Thread: Julie London

Julie London

JULIE LONDON Died Oct. 18, 2000
    She had millions of fans who enjoyed her songs during the 1940s through the 60s. Ms. Londonâ??s biggest hit was the 1955 song "Cry Me a River." Known as Julie London as Nurse Dixie McCall on the Jack Webb produced hit TV series "Emergency!" The show was produced by her first husband Jack Webb and she co-starred with her second husband Bobby Troup. Bobby Troup was a noted jazz musician. Ms. London was nominated for a Golden Globe in 1974 for her work on "Emergency!" As an actress, Julie London appeared in nearly 50 films and TV shows. Her songs have been featured on a number of movie soundtracks. Acting credits include "The Great Man," "The George Raft Story," "Rawhide," "Adam 12, " The Big Valley" and "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour." Her songs have been featured in such films as "The Girl Canâ??t Help It," "Boy on a Dolphin," "Sharkeyâ??s Machine" and "V for Vendetta."
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:19 AM.

I loved her in Emergency.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Kathyf Guest
    She was so pretty.

hoxharding Guest
    Her husband Bobby was also on Emergency, he was the gray-haired doctor.

Cubano Guest
    Loved her as Nurse Dixie in Emergency- her voice too. I always thought she was so beautiful and didn't know much of her past until later.

Beautiful voice she had. I have alot of her music. She owned "Cry Me A River".
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Danny62 Guest
    You can spot the babyboomers in this thread!

Emergency was a classic. Bobby and Julie, together forever!

cherryghost Guest
    What a varied career I didnt realise she was an actress also never put the faces together with name!

onehunglow Guest
    Not to mention those DD's. I was a kid when that was on. That's all I remember about the show.

"Cry Me A River"...beautiful

colz85 Guest

Julie London

From Wikipedia:

Julie London (September 26, 1926â??October 18, 2000) was an American singer and actress. Best known for her smoky, sensual voice, as a singer she was at her peak in the 1950s; her acting career lasted more than 35 years, ending with the role of nurse Dixie McCall, RN, on the TV show Emergency! (1972â??1979).

Born in Santa Rosa, California, as Gayle Peck, she was the daughter of Jack and Josephine Peck, who were a vaudeville song-and-dance team. When she was 14, the family moved to Los Angeles. Shortly after that, she began appearing in movies. She graduated from the Hollywood Professional School in 1945.
    She was married to Jack Webb of Dragnet fame. Her widely-regarded beauty and poise (she was a pinup girl prized by GIs during World War II) contrasted strongly with his pedestrian appearance and streetwise acting technique (much parodied by impersonators). This unlikely pairing arose from their mutual love for jazz music; their marriage lasted from July 1947 to November 1953.[1] They had two daughters, one who was killed in a traffic accident in the 1990s and one who survived her. In 1954, having become somewhat reclusive after her divorce from Jack Webb, she met jazz composer and musician Bobby Troup at a club on La Brea Blvd.[2] They married on December 31, 1959 and remained married until his death in February 1999. Together, they had one daughter and twin sons.
    Primarily remembered as a singer, London also made more than 20 films. One of her strongest performances came in 1958's Man of the West, starring Gary Cooper and directed by Anthony Mann, in which her character, the film's only woman, is abused and humiliated by an outlaw gang.
    Her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is at 7000 Hollywood Blvd.
    She suffered a stroke in 1995, and was in poor health until her death in Encino, California, at the age of 74, survived by four of her five children.
    On her death in October 2000, Julie London was interred in Forest Lawn - Hollywood Hills Cemetery in Los Angeles.

Love her. LOVE. Have a bunch of her CDs on reissues. Anyone have any info on her last years? She pretty much retired and dropped out of sight.

Cathy J. Guest
    London also did quite a few commericals back in the 50s for Marlboro Cigarettes, many of which are still remembered to this day.

I would love to see a pic of Julie AFTER her Emgerency days but I heard none exist.

Also curious was to why she and Webb broke up? Not a whole lot has been said about that.

warmbear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    London also did quite a few commericals back in the 50s for Marlboro Cigarettes, many of which are still remembered to this day.

I would love to see a pic of Julie AFTER her Emgerency days but I heard none exist.

Also curious was to why she and Webb broke up? Not a whole lot has been said about that.
    Not sure why she and Webb split.. However, they were apparently on good terms (they had 2 children after 6 years of marriage).. Jack recommended both Julie and Bobby for their parts on "Emergency", which I cannot see him doing if their relations were strained. I have the impression that Jack may have had a wandering eye (he was subsequently married 3 more times after he divorced Julie).

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by warmbear View Post
    Not sure why she and Webb split.. However, they were apparently on good terms (they had 2 children after 6 years of marriage).. Jack recommended both Julie and Bobby for their parts on "Emergency", which I cannot see him doing if their relations were strained. I have the impression that Jack may have had a wandering eye (he was subsequently married 3 more times after he divorced Julie).
    Thats what I thought too. I have two books on the life of Jack Webb and neither one of them really says a whole lot about the divorce of London & Webb. At first I thought I must have overlooked a chapter LOL

Very true that Webb-London-Troup were the best of friends. Even right up to Webb's death. In one of the books I remember reading about London & Troup's first Christmas party after Webb had died. To honor Jack they placed a bottle of Crown Royal (?) Liquor on the table where Jack would usually sit.

Somewhere back in the early 90s I remember seeing a pic of Bobby Troup in his golden years ( he didn't age all that well ) but like I said earlier I have NEVER seen a pic of Julie London post-Emgerency ( a show she was proud of BTW ).

Come to think of it I have never seen a pic of Jack Webb in his later years ( mid 1970s thru 1982 ) either. Wonder why that is? I would imagine their looks went downhill in their later years since both Jack and Julie were big time smokers. Jack's cigarette was a trademark on Dragnet and Julie herself smoked a few times on Emergency. Plus Jack was quite a drinker too. Then again I have heard that Julie was still a knockout in her later years before her stroke.

Guess we will never know

I love her voice!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Oddly I never heard of her before

Elizabeth Guest

Julie

Quote Originally Posted by eca1094 View Post
    Oddly I never heard of her before
    Here you go.....the one in the nurse outfit is of her in "Emergency"
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Oh thats her. I remember now. Thank you

If you go to archive.org and look up Marlboro Cigarettes you can see her old TV commericals. "and Julie London sings the Marlboro song"

Looked like she really ENJOYED those marlboros LOL

I will go check it out

colz85 Guest
    What I've read about the divorce from Webb is that he basically stopped coming home and was spending all his time at work, and the marriage just died.

Here's a link to a story about what must have been one of her last interviews.

Giada Guest

Julie London

DDG ... Drop Dead Gorgeous

A sultry sound, married at one time to Jack Webb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_London

And for those of you who enjoy Mad Men

Fly Me to the Moon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWxObuuy9oA

JudyAnn Guest
    Don't forget that she was best known to a younger generation as Nurse Dixie on Emergency!

Giada Guest
    No doubt in duplicate talents ... the sultry, jazzy, voice remains, remembered as primary.

Julie London & Bobby Troup

Hi Everyone! Been absent awhile but, I'm back with a question & maybe a request. Is there anything about Julie London & Bobby Troup here on the forum? She passed on October 18th 2000 on what would have been her husbands Bobby Troups 82nd birthday. Bobby passed on February 2nd 1999. She was married to Jack Webb from 1947 - 1953. Does anyone have anything to reminsce about these two? Would really appreciate the information. Take Care Folks

Miss Sue, please do a search or contact a staff member before creating a post like this.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Drop-dead gorgeous. Great voice. Short-tempered. Outtake from a recording session of "The Man I Love". [WARNING: language]

My favorite singer. I have most of her LP's, and about 20 CD's. She has a voice that is best heard after midnight, I absolutely love her. Picked up the book on her life last year.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gO-sLOW.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	54700
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 08-19-2018 at 07:35 PM.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Just did a spot check and find I have 7 of her albums in my collection, including a duplicate of "Julie Is Her Name", which I must have snapped up in haste without checking my inventory first lol. She had it all: looks and talent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0991.jpg 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	54703

Sad that three of her five children have also passed. Stacy Webb in 1996, Kelly Troup in 2002 and one of her twins, Jody Troup in 2010.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180821_215433.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	54705
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 08-21-2018 at 07:05 PM.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Miss Sue, please do a search or contact a staff member before creating a post like this.
    My apologies Cindy, I forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    My favorite singer. I have most of her LP's, and about 20 CD's. She has a voice that is best heard after midnight, I absolutely love her. Picked up the book on her life last year.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gO-sLOW.jpg 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	54700
    May I ask, what book? Would love to read ANYTHING about her.

It's called Go Slow The Life Of Julie London by Michael Owen. Hope you can find it, good read.

Thank you so much Mansfield67. I ordered it 2 days ago, should have it by this week. I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Sue View Post
    Thank you so much Mansfield67. I ordered it 2 days ago, should have it by this week. I can't wait!
    Your welcome, I think you will enjoy it.

36. 01-11-2019, 01:38 PM

I saw a pic not long ago of Bobby Troup and Julie London taken at Jack Webb's memorial in 1982. Bobby looked like the same as Emergency but Julie looked like JANE FONDA !! OMG !! Still did not find Jack Webb from the late 70s/early 80s.

Her singing Cry Me A River in The Girl Can't Help It is one of the sexiest scenes in films. She even overshadows Jayne Mansfield. Sorry, Jayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubano View Post
    Loved her as Nurse Dixie in Emergency- her voice too. I always thought she was so beautiful and didn't know much of her past until later.
    very true, so have to agree with this.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I just picked up her album Julie London Sings Soft and Sweet the other day. I haven't had a chance to play it yet but I'll get it spinning.