Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mary Shotwell Little - Atlanta socialite missing since 1965

Mary Shotwell Little - Atlanta socialite missing since 1965

Mary Shotwell Little and her 1965 Mercury Comet.

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: October 14, 1965 from Atlanta, Georgia

Classification: Endangered Missing

Height and Weight: 5'6, 120 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Light brown hair, hazel/green eyes.

Clothing/Jewelry Description: A long-sleeved olive green cotton/dacron sheath dress printed with small white flowers, a white London Fog raincoat, flats, a platinum wedding ring, a solitaire engagement ring, a Women's College of the University of North Carolina class ring and a scarab bracelet.

Details of Disappearance
    Mary was a secretary at C & S Bank in Atlanta, Georgia in 1965. (The bank is now called Nation's Bank.) She had married Roy Little, a bank examiner, six weeks prior to her disappearance. Roy was out of town on October 14, training to become an auditor, but was going to return the next day. Mary planned a party to welcome his return. She purchased groceries after work and then met a co-worker for dinner at the Piccadilly Cafeteria in the Lenox Square Shopping Center in the upscale Buckhead neighborhood of Atlanta. Mary was reportedly in good spirits at the time and spoke happily about her married life. She walked back to her car after dinner, at approximately 8:00 p.m. She was carrying a brown burlap and leather John Romain purse at the time of her disappearance. Mary has never been heard from again.

Mary did not show up for work the next morning and did not call in sick. Her boss discussed her absence with the co-worker she'd dined with the previous evening. Mary's co-worker knew that Mary's new metallic pearl-gray 1965 Mercury Comet with Georgia license plates numbered 2829 was parked in a lot near Lenox Square from the previous evening's dinner. A photograph of the Comet is posted below this case summary. Initially the car could not be located by security guards, but by the time Mary's bank supervisor arrived at Lenox Square, the car was in plain sight in the Yellow 32 section, where it was supposed to be.

There was a coating of red dust on the car's exterior, as if it had been driven on a dirt road. Four bags of groceries were found inside the vehicle, along with Coke bottles and a package of Kent cigarettes which were Mary's preferred brand. There was also a slip, panties, a girdle, a bra, and a single socking. Most of the items had been neatly folded and placed on the console between the front bucket seats, but the brassiere and the stocking were on the floor. The stocking had been cut, probably by a knife. The underwear was Mary's and appeared to have been worn recently. Mary's outer clothes, purse, coat, jewelry, and her car keys were missing and have never been found.

Blood was speckled on the undergarments and smeared on the steering wheel, the driver's side door near the handle, the inside window of the passenger's side, and on the front seats. Testing proved it was probably Mary's blood. There was only a very small amount, about as much as would come from a nosebleed. Some police officers were of the opinion that the scene had been staged, due to the great smearing of the small quantity of blood. There was an unidentified fingerprint in the blood on the steering wheel.

Investigators learned that Mary's gasoline credit card had been used twice in North Carolina on October 15, the day following her disappearance. The first time was at an Esso station in Mary's hometown of Charlotte; the second time was at another Esso in Raleigh. Attendants at both stations recalled seeing a woman who appeared to have a minor injury to her head and was bloodstained on her head and legs. Both workers told authorities that the woman was traveling with one or two unshaven middle-aged men who seemed to be commanding her. The woman appeared to be trying to hide her face from the attendants and she did not ask anyone for help.

The credit card had been used in the early morning hours of October 15 in Charlotte and approximately 12 hours later in Raleigh. This puzzled investigators; not only was Charlotte Mary's hometown and the city where her family resided, but Raleigh was only two to three hours away by car.

The long span of time between credit card usages seemed strange, considering the short traveling distance between the cities. Authorities speculate that perhaps whoever had Mary was trying to lead the investigation away from Atlanta. The signatures on the credit slips read "Mrs. Roy H. Little Jr." and appeared to be in Mary's handwriting. Using Roy's mileage logs and Mary's odometer, investigators estimated that the car had been driven only 41 miles that could not be accounted for.

Another odd angle of Mary's case emerged when the license plate on her Mercury Comet turned out to be a Charlotte, North Carolina plate that had been stolen in mid-October. Mary's car was legal in Georgia and had been fitted with the proper tags. Investigators believed that the stolen plate was a clue as to why her vehicle had not been located by Lenox Square security before her bank supervisor drove to the lot and discovered her car himself. Authorities believed that whoever drove Mary's car to the lot may have kept it hidden on the night of her disappearance, only to return it to its initial parking spot later. This theory has never been proven. If the car was in fact moved, it would have been at about the same time that Mary was seen in North Carolina.

A $20,000 ransom demand was made for Mary after news about the credit card slips came out. An anonymous caller told Roy to go an overpass in the Pisgah National Forest in western North Carolina and find further instructions posted on a sign. A Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agent went to the location in Roy's place and found a blank piece of paper struck to the sign. The caller did not contact the Little family again and has never been identified. The ransom demand is suspected to be a hoax.

Police investigated Roy for possible involvement in his wife's disappearance. Her former roommates did not like him and some refused to attend their wedding because of it. Roy reportedly did not seem to care much about Mary's disappearance. Several times he refused to take a lie detector test. However, he had a solid alibi for the time of her disappearance, and nothing to gain from her death, and there were no signs of trouble in the marriage. Roy has never been charged with any wrongdoing in connection with Mary's case.

There was some speculation that Mary's disappearance might have been connected to a sex scandal at her place of employment around the time she vanished. The bank had hired a former FBI agent to investigate claims of lesbian sexual harassment and possible prostitution on the property. Mary apparently knew about the scandal but it is not now believed to have anything to do with her vanishing.

Friends told investigators that Mary had been receiving unsettling phone calls at work during the weeks leading up to her disappearance. She apparently gave some indications to the caller that she was married and could no longer visit with the unknown person, but he or she was welcome to visit her. The caller's identity remains a mystery. Mary also received flowers from a "secret admirer" in the weeks leading up to her disappearance. The bouquets were traced to a florist near Mary's residence, but the purchaser's identity remains unknown. Mary never shared the details of the strange phone calls or discussed the flowers with anyone.

According to some of her friends, she was fearful of being home alone or driving her car unaccompanied in the weeks prior to October 14. She did not explain why she felt unsafe. A few days before she disappeared, Mary insinuated to her co-workers that she had something important to tell them. She never revealed what it was.

In May 1967, eighteen months after Mary vanished, another young woman who worked in the same office was murdered. Diane Shields was last seen leaving work in her blue and white Chevrolet Impala. At 2:30 a.m. the next day, the car was found near a laundry on Sylan Road in Atlanta with Shields's body inside the trunk. She was fully clothed and had not been sexually assaulted, and she was still wearing her diamond engagement ring. She had died of suffocation; a scarf had been shoved down her throat.

Police speculated that Mary's and Shields's cases might be connected, due the similarities in their disappearances and the fact that the women worked together, but eventually that theory was discarded. Shields's homicide, like Mary's disappearance, remains unsolved.

The police file concerning Mary's case vanished sometime in the years following her 1965 disappearance. Her father died in 1979, but her mother is still alive and has never stopped looking for her. Some police officers who investigated Mary's case do not believe foul play was involved; they think Mary staged her disappearance for unknown reasons. Other investigators believe Mary was abducted. A woman reported being accosted by a man in the Lenox Square Shopping Center parking lot shortly before Mary would have been walking to her car; some authorities believe the man had something to do with Mary's disappearance. He has never been unidentified.
    Mary's case remains active and unsolved.
    Last edited by cindyt; 05-07-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Title typo
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Chevyheaven Guest
    Sounds like if she is still alive she doesnt want to be found. If shes dead than she probably was a victim of foul play. I love Lenox Mall. Its strange to read about it in here. I used to hang out there all the time myself.
    Maybe mary will send an EVP or something if she is you know all dead and stuff.
    I was listening to this song awhile ago called "Where the wild roses grow..."
    Its by Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue. Very errie and creepy Especially reading about this woman... eeek.. Some really creepy people out there.

Lisamarie Guest
    Wow!!!! I wonder what the hell happened?? Did the other womans murder have soemthing to do with it......was she seeign someone else on the side a cut him off?? Weird!!

tarsier Guest
    Sounds like she skipped or it's awfully coincidental that her kidnapper happened to buy gas on her card at her hometown.

RoRo Guest
    strange story.....feel bad for the family not knowing all these years

SinKittyVixen Guest
    So awful!!! The sadthing is, theres way too many of these cases oit there.

Jazbabee Guest
    Quite a few strange things in her story......does anyone else find it particularly curious that her police file has disappeared over the years ??? hmmmmm........
    Last edited by Jazbabee; 05-07-2008 at 08:17 PM.

I remember lying in the floor in front of the TV watching the news the night this story broke. My dad, who was sitting on the couch behind me, allowed as how she had skipped, as he would. IDK. I was nine years old, but Mary's disappearance has haunted me all my life.

Every decade or more someone will call in a tip and the police will run it down, but nothing ever comes of it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

NOVSTORM Guest
    Why would a wealthy woman just take off and leave her money? It sounds to me that her hubby had it done and covered himself pretty good. It would be easier if we knew how long afterward her husband got remarried or had her delcared dead and if he got anything from her estate.
    Last edited by NOVSTORM; 05-07-2008 at 04:47 PM.

Lisamarie Guest
    Thats what I was thinking......I would love to do a checkup on this guy and see how he has been living the past years??

Maruz83 Guest
    If she was rich why was she working at a bank as a sec. ? I think she wanted to disappear. Who know's where she went maybe a whole new country !!!!!

NOVSTORM Guest
    Well some rich children are made to work by the parents. If you look up many of the very very rich heiresses they all have jobs. She could have had a trust fund that came to her at a certain age. They didn't mention any of this it would be interesting to know .

endsleigh03 Guest
    Two things really stick out here, the first being her husbands reaction to her disapperance, they were married only six weeks, she disappears and he could give a shit? Maybe he had it done, who knows why.

The second is the fact that a second woman who worked at the same place was murdered. Maybe it was someone who worked near the bank and saw who came and went in the general area each day.

Thanks for posting Cindy, I love these stories.

Blurgle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    Quite a few strange things in her story......does anyone else find it particularly curious that her police file has disappeared over the years ??? hmmmmm........
    Not surprising at all, given that it's been 43 years and the originating officer has likely been retired and/or dead. When officers retire, often their old files are sent to storage, and it's not unusual for the missing person files to be destroyed after seven years.

Sometimes, too, police back then would pretend to open a missing persons file on a young woman, but the moment the family left the office the entire file would go in the trash. A lot of cops back then thought that all missing women were just runaway whores/sluts/evil bitches who deserved whatever happened to them. Nowadays most recognize that missing persons really are missing persons and not just sluts.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Two things really stick out here, the first being her husbands reaction to her disapperance, they were married only six weeks, she disappears and he could give a shit? Maybe he had it done, who knows why.

The second is the fact that a second woman who worked at the same place was murdered. Maybe it was someone who worked near the bank and saw who came and went in the general area each day.

Thanks for posting Cindy, I love these stories.
    Welcome. I have some more stories if I could just dig the facts up:

1. A woman who was involved in two different murders but never served any time.

2. Three local cops who were murdered back in the 60s, and a fourth whose death was ruled a suicide, but no one buys it.

I knew the people involved.

Plus, I have two male cousins who were just evil. One of them killed his girlfriend and threw her body down a well.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

cherryghost Guest
    Those retro murders and missing persons are somehow really very glamorous compared to contempory ones!

southerngothic Guest
    The rumor I've always heard was that she was cheating on her hubby, tried to break it off with the boyfriend, and the boyfriend kidnapped her to try and force her to stay with him (because that works!) and somehow either out of rage, or by accident, killed her.

UPDATE: So someone posted the following on FB
    Attachment 46417POLICE SEEK ANSWERS ABOUT WOMAN'S IDENTITY:
    On May 2, 1986, Joseph Daniel Richards of East Anollee, GA ... a commercial truck driver for Wilkinson Trucking of Commerce, GA, was involved in an accident in which he sustained fatal injuries and died soon after. Upon moving the semi-truck after the accident, the female in this photo was found deceased under the trailer.

The only items found on the woman were a key chain, a pack of cigarettes and the clothes she wore ... nothing else to identify her. Mr. Richards' family could not identify her, and no one ever came forward about a missing person.

PLEASE SHARE THIS PHOTO ... ESPECIALLY THROUGHOUT THE GEORGIA to PENNSYLVANIA AREAS ... IN HOPES SOMEONE CAN IDENTIFY HER. If anyone knows her identity ... please contact Trooper John Marshall at the Uniontown Pennsylvania State Police 724.439.7111

PLEASE SHARE THIS FAR AND WIDE IN THE HOPES SOMEONE CAN IDENTIFY HER
    I shared it, and one of my friends goes "Mary Shotwell Little?" And I go "Oh, man! Let me dig up her pic."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mary mary.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	46420

What do yall think?
    Last edited by cindyt; 04-23-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    UPDATE: So someone posted the following on FB

I shared it, and one of my friends goes "Mary Shotwell Little?" And I go "Oh, man! Let me dig up her pic."

Attachment 46418 Attachment 46419 Attachment 46417
    Media pic............... Mirror image..... Unidentified dead woman

What do yall think?
    Wow! It does look like her! What an interesting story! I love this kinda stuff.

Me too. Other folks from Atlanta noticed it too. The only thing is Mary had a little dimple in her chin and the dead gal doesn't appear to have one, but the way she's lying and the apparent weight gain could fill in the dimple? It it were a cleft--like mine--no, but a little dimple? IDK. It's eerie, anyway.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Me too. Other folks from Atlanta noticed it too. The only thing is Mary had a little dimple in her chin and the dead gal doesn't appear to have one, but the way she's lying and the apparent weight gain could fill in the dimple? It it were a cleft--like mine--no, but a little dimple? IDK. It's eerie, anyway.
    It does look like the same woman, with weight gain.....perhaps her body was bloated also? Hard to tell but they sure look alike. I wonder what ever happened to the body....where is this woman buried, etc?

Where is Dominick Dunne when you need him?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    It does look like the same woman, with weight gain.....perhaps her body was bloated also? Hard to tell but they sure look alike. I wonder what ever happened to the body....where is this woman buried, etc?
    IDK where she's buried. I'd have to check that out, and will. They have looked for Mary for decades, even jack hammering driveways in search of her remains. Some folks believe she just disappeared intentionally. My daddy always said so, but he would. Could be though, even if she had just been a bride for 6 weeks. People around here who knew her swear she wouldn't do that, but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Where is Dominick Dunne when you need him?
    Exactly, Neil!

One of my friends on FB has emailed the reported about Mary. Wouldn't it be just?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

IDK where she's buried. I'd have to check that out, and will. They have looked for Mary for decades, even jack hammering driveways in search of her remains. Some folks believe she just disappeared intentionally. My daddy always said so, but he would. Could be though, even if she had just been a bride for 6 weeks. People around here who knew her swear she wouldn't do that, but who knows?

Exactly, Neil!
    Keep us posted. I live in NC and I am close to Raleigh and Charlotte - it is so interesting to me.

Keep us posted. I live in NC and I am close to Raleigh and Charlotte - it is so interesting to me.
    You bet!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Cindy, can you do a side by side of the pic of her in post #1 (the one on the right) and the dead body? That pic looks more like her to me than the two pics above.

Cindy, can you do a side by side of the pic of her in post #1 (the one on the right) and the dead body? That pic looks more like her to me than the two pics above.
    Here you go. I flipped the pic in post #1. It sure looks like her.

Name:	crop collage.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	46423
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Here you go. I flipped the pic in post #1. It sure looks like her.

Name:	crop collage.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	46423
    Yep!

Yep!
    That's what I think, too. Maybe the reporter will reply to my friend's email, and something will come of it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

wow it does look like her

I agree that really really looks like her. I am surprised that they never put it together before or if they ever did check. You would think with such a high profile case and it being in the same state they would have but stranger things have happened. Please let us know if you hear anything.

Were there any links on that FB posting? I googled Joseph Daniel Richards East Anollee and got absolutely nothing. I tried several different things with body trailer georgia etc... and nothing at all. The other thing is the pic of the dead girl (if it is real) looks the same age as Mary was when she disappeared, though 20 years had passed. I don't know. It would be cool if was her though.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 04-24-2013 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I agree that really really looks like her. I am surprised that they never put it together before or if they ever did check. You would think with such a high profile case and it being in the same state they would have but stranger things have happened. Please let us know if you hear anything.

Were there any links on that FB posting? I googled Joseph Daniel Richards East Anollee and got absolutely nothing. I tried several different things with body trailer georgia etc... and nothing at all. The other thing is the pic of the dead girl (if it is real) looks the same age as Mary was when she disappeared, though 20 years had passed. I don't know. It would be cool if was her though.
    That's what Sissy said.
    This is it.http://www.heraldstandard.com/news/l...d5f424ac5.html

Not much there, though, because you have to register to read the entire article. I'm going to check AJC. archives. Here's some more pics:

Name:	little car.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	46436 This is the inside of her car. I'd seen it before but forgot.

Name:	lenox square.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	46437 Lenox Square in Buckhead (Same city where Reese and Toth were arrested). At the time there was a Rich's department store there. I can't remember if I ever shopped there, but I've been down there across the street to see a psychologist before I went to collage (for Vocational Rehab)

Name:	mary3.gif 
Views:	69 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	46438 She is caught on camera walking to her car, never to be seen again. I had no idea this pic existed, or I forgot. I was 9 years old in October 1965 and remember lying in the floor watching the news coverage on TV. This particular photo is chilling and will haunt me always.
    Last edited by cindyt; 04-24-2013 at 03:25 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Sure looks like her. Same nose?

Interesting story.

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    Sure looks like her. Same nose?

Interesting story.
    And look at the lips and the brow, and there is just a look about her that makes me think it's her. I'm hoping we'll find out.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The features seem to match. I'm thinking it's her. It would be cool to find out for certain.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by McMorbid View Post
    The features seem to match. I'm thinking it's her. It would be cool to find out for certain.
    It would.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

That reporter replied to my friend's email. She sent him a web page about Mary and he is going to get back to her when he finishes investigating.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Coll updates! THanks!

Welcome. It's exciting, even if it turns out not to be her.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

navallint Guest
    The pics in your #18 post, the hairline is exactly the same. Very interesting. The body under the truck, now that is strange.

Quote Originally Posted by navallint View Post
    The pics in your #18 post, the hairline is exactly the same. Very interesting. The body under the truck, now that is strange.
    The whole thing is strange.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Nelliebean Guest
    Those are the one's we like!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    Those are the one's we like!
    You got that right.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

And the wind cries......''Mary"..............

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    And the wind cries......''Mary"..............
    And you are confused because?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mammy Guest
    This is a really strange case. I had never heard of it before seeing it here. I think the deceased woman is her because there are many similarities, especially her nose. It would be nice to see her identified after so long.

radiojane Guest
    There has to be a report with a guesstimate of the deceased's age. That would rule it out quickly. She'd be in her forties in 86? Maybe it's just the corpse bloat but she looks awfully young.

She would have been 46, which does seem too old for that pic, but I've seen people that age who looked a lot younger.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I thought the same thing at first. The features seem to align well. The picture or the deceased looks a little bit warped from lens angle or something. Either way it's not unusual for a lady to retain a youthful appearance. I believe it could very well be the same person.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Even if it isn't her, it's exciting. All I did was supply the pics, but I've never had even that small a part in such an investigation.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD