Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kentucky Derby

The Kentucky Derby

ozzysmom Guest
    OMG, that is so awful. Poor thing.

Terrible thing. RIP
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

hoxharding Guest
    I just called my mother and asked if she heard about this and she saw it on tv.
    I guess last year another horse from the Derby broke it's leg. But they tried for months to save it and it had to be put down.=(
    So very sad- it should not of happened.

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I just called my mother and asked if she heard about this and she saw it on tv.
    I guess last year another horse from the Derby broke it's leg. But they tried for months to save it and it had to be put down.=(
    So very sad- it should not of happened.

That would be our Barbaro - he had won the Derby but broke his leg in the Preakness. They tried sooooo hard to save him. He was in Kennett Square, PA which is not far from here. What a fighter he was! Great story if you want to read it.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/16846723/site/21683474/

hoxharding Guest
    I know this probably sounds stupid-but with all the medical progress,why can't the broken legs of horses be healed?

Horse racing pisses me off for some reason.

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    Horse racing pisses me off for some reason.
    You and me both=(

mel306 Guest
    It has something to do with the fact that they stand all the time. That is all I know though.

QuarterRat Guest
    The horse came in second too! Imagine the owners, thrilled that their horse even placed second in the most famous horse race in the world and then seconds later (literally) having it all destroyed when the horse fell and broke both it's front ankles.

The horse that won, this was only his fourth race, ever. Imagine how that plays out in greyhound racing, a terrible terrible, mean spirited and awful 'sport'. Dogs are given only a few races to prove themselves or they are killed. If they don't win place or show every five or so races they are either (mercifully) given over to shelters but the majority are murdered. It's disgusting.

marimbagirl Guest
    I know this probably sounds stupid-but with all the medical progress,why can't the broken legs of horses be healed?
    I'll try to explain it. I've never owned a horse or taken care of one, but I've worked around people who do for about two years now. I had one explain it to me one day.

When a horse stands normally, it takes all four of its legs to stand in perfect balance. Their hooves are like your fingernails and any damage to them can be life threatening, which is why horses have horseshoes put on. What happened to Barbaro is that he developed laminitus from putting pressure on the other three legs after the first was injured. When that happened, he not only had the broken front leg but he developed a severly infected other leg. That's why when you saw the photos of him, he was suspended in a harness. That was to take even more of that weight and pressure off the others. The cure for laminitus is to remove the hoof, which sounds weird, but it can come back over time. They placed him in a walking cast of sorts because you can only harness a horse for a short amount of time during the day. After this was done, the broken leg healed and the hoof started to grow back when he developed laminitus in another hoof. By that point, I guess the doctors saw it as futile and that's when he was put down.

Horses can be saved, but it's a long shot because of the way that they are made anatomically. In the end, it's usually better to put them down then to put them through months of painful rehabilitation and healing. I know that sounds incredibly crass, but it's the way that it happens.

We lost a horse not too long ago to laminitus after a rock worked through the hoof and into the hoofwall, causing a massive infection. Horses are sturdy, but delicate creatures.

hoxharding Guest
    [quote=marimbagirl;243015]I'll try to explain it. I've never owned a horse or taken care of one, but I've worked around people who do for about two years now. I had one explain it to me one day.

Thanks for the explaination. Btw-there was an Antonio Bandaras action film that involved horses. Some of those horses actually died. There was a big outrage about it. The horses falling and stuff like actually
    happened.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    That would be our Barbaro - he had won the Derby but broke his leg in the Preakness. They tried sooooo hard to save him. He was in Kennett Square, PA which is not far from here. What a fighter he was! Great story if you want to read it.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/16846723/site/21683474/

RIP, Belle.

I was broken hearted when Barbaro passed. Poor guy; he tried so hard to make it.

marimbagirl Guest
    [quote=hoxharding;243020]
    Quote Originally Posted by marimbagirl View Post
    I'll try to explain it. I've never owned a horse or taken care of one, but I've worked around people who do for about two years now. I had one explain it to me one day.

Thanks for the explaination. Btw-there was an Antonio Bandaras action film that involved horses. Some of those horses actually died. There was a big outrage about it. The horses falling and stuff like actually
    happened.

You can kill a horse by riding it too hard. You can kill a horse by not walking it when it goes colicky. You can kill a horse by not taking proper care of their hooves. It's crazy how amazingly delicate these animals are.

I know that there's a huge outcry right now over the type of tracks they run on for the Kentucky Derby. Dirt tracks are horrible for their legs and they end up snapping the limbs, which is what happened today. Many in the industry are advocating a hybird track made of a softer material that would lessen the chance of damaging the animals.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Oh how horrible. I watched a few of the videos. My uncle raised race horses for years & my cousin jumps. They really take a lot of care.

How terrible for the family! They didn't even have time to celebrate before they had to mourn.

wikipedia had Belles" obit up less than a half hour afterwards.

MbalmR Guest
    "Better to put them down?!!!!" How about it would be better not to put them through this nonsense in the first place? Why are human beings so hell bent on using animals for entertainment (horse racing, dog racing, dog fighting, cock fighting, etc.?)

The answer is pure greed for the almighty dollar. I think the whole enterprise is sick. "Build a better race track" indeed. Animals will still die needless and painful deaths because of this bullshit. But you all go ahead and place your bets and take the kids to the circus! We can always euthanize the animals when we're "finished" with them.

Snudgie Guest
    Poor horse!! RIP buddy.

I always ignore the Grand National here in the UK, the fences those horses have to jump are so high, with big spiky branches, and every year there are horses hurt, and sometimes they have to be put down, it's just cruel.

alicecooper91 Guest
    That's so sad =[ Reminds me of when I was very young, I went to a rodeo and a horse ran headfirst into a fence and died...it was horrible. I refuse to go to rodeos anymore. Horse races do seem cruel to me, but I still go because my grandpa worked as the chef at a racetrack for many years so it's a way for me to feel connected to him.

Ruffian Guest
    Same thing happened to Ruffian...hence, my screen name. She was in a race off with Foolish Pleasure. Best filly against the best colt. She broke her leg in the race; they operated, but when she came out of the anesthesia she fought and kicked wildly, breaking her other leg. She was put down at that point.

I love watching racehorses. The way I see it, it's like any other sport or any other athlete. They train; they're well taken care of, but accidents happen occasionally.

Cherry Malotte Guest
    I usually watch the Derby...but due to unforseen goofiness (see Woe Is Me thread) I didn't get to. I'm glad I didn't, I'd still be crying. I love animals way more than most people.

I remember Foolish Pleasure - beautiful horse! I saw a report on horse studs on that Bryant Gumble HBO sports show - there's a particular horse who is booked up for years and gets an obscene amount of money for stud services. I'll have to look up which horse it is, but the horses he's sired have mostly all been winners.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post

I love watching racehorses. The way I see it, it's like any other sport or any other athlete. They train; they're well taken care of, but accidents happen occasionally.
    That's true.

endsleigh03 Guest
    [quote=marimbagirl;243022]

You can kill a horse by riding it too hard. You can kill a horse by not walking it when it goes colicky. You can kill a horse by not taking proper care of their hooves. It's crazy how amazingly delicate these animals are.

I know that there's a huge outcry right now over the type of tracks they run on for the Kentucky Derby. Dirt tracks are horrible for their legs and they end up snapping the limbs, which is what happened today. Many in the industry are advocating a hybird track made of a softer material that would lessen the chance of damaging the animals.
    I was just asking last night about all this and why broken legs cannot be fixed. Thanks for the info

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    "Better to put them down?!!!!" How about it would be better not to put them through this nonsense in the first place? Why are human beings so hell bent on using animals for entertainment (horse racing, dog racing, dog fighting, cock fighting, etc.?)

The answer is pure greed for the almighty dollar. I think the whole enterprise is sick. "Build a better race track" indeed. Animals will still die needless and painful deaths because of this bullshit. But you all go ahead and place your bets and take the kids to the circus! We can always euthanize the animals when we're "finished" with them.
    Yes, yes, and yes to all of that. Makes me sick.

Eight Belles

Filly Eight Belles breaks down after 2nd-place Derby finish

By BETH HARRIS ?? 7 hours ago
    LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) ?? Boy, did Eight Belles hang with the boys. All that heart and her gallant fight, however, ended in the worst of all possible ways: a breakdown, an ambulance on the track. And, with no other choice, she was euthanized by injection.
    The day began with hope and pomp. Bolstered by the sentimental support from 157,770 fans and endorsed by presidential contender Hillary Clinton and cheered by daughter Chelsea, the filly finished second in the Kentucky Derby on Saturday.
    She crossed the wire 4 3/4 lengths behind favorite Big Brown. Then, with the second-largest crowd in Derby history still whooping it up, Eight Belles collapsed with two broken front ankles.
    The magnitude of what happened was slow to reach the fans at Churchill Downs. Not only was a horse down, but it was the filly. And horse racing ?? with the memory of Barbaro still fresh and a severe injury to a horse coming only a day earlier on Kentucky Oaks Day ?? had to confront grief one more time.
    "There was no way to save her. She couldn't stand," trainer Larry Jones said. "She ran an incredible race. She ran the race of her life."
    Jones' voice broke and tears glistened in his eyes as he considered his barn without Eight Belles' head poking out of her stall.
    "Losing animals like this isn't fun. It's not supposed to happen," he said. "We're heartbroke. We're going to miss her, no doubt."
    The field of 19 colts and the dark gray filly were galloping out around the first turn when Eight Belles suddenly went down on both front legs and jockey Gabriel Saez slid off.
    "When we passed the wire I stood up," said a distraught Saez, a first-time Derby rider. "She started galloping funny. I tried to pull her up. That's when she went down."
    An equine ambulance reached her near the second turn.
    Eight Belles appeared to be galloping out normally around the first turn and was headed into the start of the backstretch when she dropped without warning. The crowd was busy high-fiving and celebrating and the distance from the grandstand prevented many from realizing what had happened.
    "Everyone breathed a big sigh of relief that everyone came around the track cleanly and then all of a sudden it happened," said Dr. Larry Bramlage, on-call veterinarian.
    Quickly, word spread about the horse that was down in the second turn. Fans focused binoculars on the scene, using Saez's red helmet to identify the horse.
    "That's one of the saddest things I've ever seen," said fan Kathleen Brower of Louisville. "We went from the high for the winner and something like this happens. It just takes the wind out of the sails."
    No more so than for Jones and owner Rick Porter.
    Eight Belles could have easily been the wagering favorite in Friday's Kentucky Oaks, an all-girl showcase. But Jones and Porter decided to run her against the boys despite the fact that she had never done so before. She had, after all, solid credentials with a four-race winning streak.
    Jones won the Oaks with Proud Spell and set himself up to pull off the double.
    At first, Jones didn't realize anything was wrong until he began walking back to the stable area and saw Saez aboard another horse.
    Reached by cell phone, a somber Porter said simply, "It's not a good time."
    Afterward, Jones disputed any suggestion that Eight Belles had no business taking on the boys.
    "It wasn't that, it wasn't the distance, it wasn't a big bumping match for her, she never got touched," he said. "She passed all those questions ... with flying colors. The race was over, all we had to do was pull up, come back and be happy. It just didn't happen."
    If Eight Belles had labored to the finish line and been falling farther behind Big Brown in the closing strides, then Jones said he would have "really second-guessed ourselves severely and kicked ourselves in the pants."
    But she hit the wire strongly and galloped around the turn without a hitch, leaving the trainer in the white cowboy hat feeling proud. Jones also trained last year's runner-up, Hard Spun.
    "We were ecstatic," he said.
    For a time, anyway.
    Part of Eight Belles' appeal was her status as the first filly since 1999 to run in the Derby; the last to win was Winning Colors in 1988.
    Hillary Clinton didn't attend the race, but she ordered her daughter to bet the filly. Eight Belles, who went off at 13-1, repaid the fans' faith by returning $10.60 and $6.40.
    Winning jockey Kent Desormeaux and Big Brown galloped by Eight Belles in her waning moments.
    "This horse showed you his heart and Eight Belles showed you her life for our enjoyment today," he said. "I'm deeply sympathetic to that team for their loss."
    Bramlage said the fracture in Eight Belles' left front ankle opened the skin, allowing contamination to set in. At least one of her sesamoid bones was broken, too.
    "She didn't have a front leg to stand on to be splinted and hauled off in the ambulance, so she was immediately euthanized," he said. "In my years in racing, I have never seen this happen at the end of the race or during the race."
    Bramlage was hard-pressed to make sense of yet another breakdown that reminded fans of Barbaro's horrific injury two years ago in the Preakness.
    "The difficult thing to explain with her is it's so far after the wire, and she was easing down like you'd like to see a horse slow down by that point," he said. "I don't have an explanation for it."

Harrietd Guest
    I'm not a horse expert, and anyone must admit there are accidents in any sport, but I can't help but wonder if they're not breeding these horses for speed but not strengh. Duh. I mean , it's like they've become a throw away commodity. Poor. poor animals. All in the name of money. Just one person's uninformed opinion.

Lita Guest
    I think you're right, Harriet. It seems like every year at the Kentucky Durby, there's another horse that's injured and has to be put down.

knothere Guest
    of course thery made for speed
    i dont like horse racing
    if u inject them with bleech they say it gets outa their system but gives them a jolt
    n their bones rnt strong enuff for the xtrat moddy mass they have to suppor tin over developed muscles
    its realy very cruel n just for our entertainment

gd horse racing! they run those beautiful creatures til they break. this breaks my heart. the horse, throughout history has been the most abused, used animal in creation. to gallantly run herself to death, tells me someone, some asshole, drove her to it. damm all of em for putting her thru this! may they rot for putting these gorgeous noble animals thru this for the sake of racing.
    pull the string!

Yes, I agree. Its all about greed in the racing industry. The Derby is a local event for me and I have yet to go to it. If they would wait a few more years for these horses to mature we would see less of this. But they want a fast return on their investment.
    To be sure every sport has its problems...and I have show horses and wont pretend that there are no bad apples...trainers, owners, or breeders but the race industry is a different crowd all together. Mostly gamblers, money, and party people. I may get flamed for saying it but thats my honest opinion having been in horses for 40 years.
    When your breed and sport has that many fatalities....its not right. When every damn one of them is on lacix because their lungs bleed....they might want to rethink.
    Yes, horses are expensive and we all would like to break even but thats not the point in having them. My two year old just started training with the agreement that she well not be pushed in any way. Success to me is to breed and devolpe an animal that will go on for years winning without breaking down. But then again, I love horses and dont care about the money or winning more than their well being.

That is sad.

For a moment, when I read the title of this thread, I thought someone may have determined how many personalities our beloved Belle actually has.

Sorry, Belle...it was too good to pass up.

Forgive me, please.

SueWahoo Guest

marimbagirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post

Really didn't mean to hit a nerve. Sorry if my comment offended anyone, but I've heard so many stories from jockeys and cowboys that putting them down really does sound like the better alternative.

You wouldn't believe half of the stuff that I hear.

Same thing happened to Ruffian...hence, my screen name. She was in a race off with Foolish Pleasure. Best filly against the best colt. She broke her leg in the race; they operated, but when she came out of the anesthesia she fought and kicked wildly, breaking her other leg. She was put down at that point.

I remember Ruffian-She was the first of many Ive seen break down. Seems like the Breeders Cup ironically has the most tragedies every year.
    I dont see it as the same as any other sport: they train way too early ; they are not taken care of well if they have to be medicated to compete: and there are far too many accidents. In fact I cant think of another sport where the althlets are so disposable, can you?

PETA wants Eight Belles jockey suspended

NORFOLK, Va. (AP) People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is seeking the suspension of Eight Belles?? jockey after the filly had to be euthanized following her second-place finish in the Kentucky Derby on Saturday.
    Gabriel Saez was riding Eight Belles when she broke both front ankles while galloping out a quarter of a mile past the wire. She was euthanized on the track.
    PETA faxed a letter Sunday to Kentucky??s racing authority claiming the filly was doubtlessly injured before the finish and asked that Saez be suspended while Eight Belles?? death is investigated.
    What we really want to know, did he feel anything along the way? PETA spokeswoman Kathy Guillermo said. If he didn??t then we can probably blame the fact that they??re allowed to whip the horses mercilessly.
    Eight Belles trainer Larry Jones said the filly was clearly happy when she crossed the finish line.
    I don??t know how in the heck they can even come close to saying that,? Jones told The Associated Press on Sunday. ??She has her ears up, clearly galloping out.?
    Guillermo said if Saez is found at fault, the group wants the second-place prize of $400,000 won by Eight Belles to be revoked.
    Saez, a 20-year-old Panama native, was riding in his first Kentucky Derby. He frequently rides for Jones.
    A call to the jockeys?? room at Delaware Park, where Saez raced on Sunday, went unanswered.
    Eight Belles, the first filly since 1999 to run in the Derby, appeared fine until collapsing while galloping out after the finish.
    The letter to the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority also sought a ban on whipping, limits on races and the age of racehorses, and a move to softer, artificial surfaces for all courses.

Ruffian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    I remember Ruffian-She was the first of many Ive seen break down. Seems like the Breeders Cup ironically has the most tragedies every year.
    I dont see it as the same as any other sport: they train way too early ; they are not taken care of well if they have to be medicated to compete: and there are far too many accidents. In fact I cant think of another sport where the althlets are so disposable, can you?
    Football players.

**Jenna** Guest
    Poor horse. That's so sad.I don't like horse or dog racing. It's just seems mean to make the poor animals do that. Animals are to be loved.

pvezz Guest
    Actually, in terms of dog racing (ie. greyhounds), it is mostly a misconception that it is cruel to the dogs. Greyhounds are bred to chase and run; they love to do it. The greyhound racing community has come quite a long way in the last 20 years. The breeders and trainers are overall reputable folks; most of them contract with local rescue organizations to ensure the pups get homes upon retirement.

Twobeatlesleft Guest
    It seems to me that a horse is designed to run--that's all they do every day of their life. So how can it get hurt doing exactly what it was created to do? It's like a human being getting hurt breathing.

Noreen Guest
    Poor Eight Belles. I watched her pre-race on TV. I thought she was so beautiful. Tragic, it was the last day of her life. This has hit me hard. I think if they HAVE to race horses. Things could be a lot safer for them.
    They say this does not happen in European races as the have a better track for the horses. We need those here. And alot less performance enchaning drugs!
    After the race, I saw Big Red (?) the winner, owner smiling so smugly, either he didn't know or just didn't care. You'd think he would have expressed some sympathy for the horse and owner. I wonder what PETA will uncover.
    Poor Eight Bells ran like a champ to her own death. Poor heroic filly.

Hag1 Guest
    I have seen a lot of horseracing and dog racing in my day, but that is over. I will not attend or watch another race, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    Actually, in terms of dog racing (ie. greyhounds), it is mostly a misconception that it is cruel to the dogs. Greyhounds are bred to chase and run; they love to do it. The greyhound racing community has come quite a long way in the last 20 years. The breeders and trainers are overall reputable folks; most of them contract with local rescue organizations to ensure the pups get homes upon retirement.
    I agree...they love to do it or they dont...you cant make them. I have whippets, as you know, and we have racing and lure coursing...for points towards championships (no money or betting). I have had three Best In Field winning dogs in the few years I participated. I focused more on showing and just couldnt find the time and money to do both or I would have with the same dogs (in fact two of them were show champions too) but I digress.
    The problem in the Greyhound racing industry was the high disposale rate of healthy dogs. Greys have large litters (7 to 12 pups) and not as many pet homes available so they would just get put down or abandoned. Things have changed in the last 20 years toward this so the industry is trying to clean itself up.....still it it werent for kind souls setting up adoption centers and spending a lot of their time doing this it wouldnt have. Public awarness/pressure has a lot to do with it.
    GREYS are GREAT dogs and they deserve great homes.

Football players.
    You could be right....I dont follow football. I like men in tight pants however when the game is half about running into each other head butting then, yeah, they will get hurt. It does seem like a lot of them get paid a great deal of money and live long lives though.

Quote Originally Posted by Twobeatlesleft View Post
    It seems to me that a horse is designed to run--that's all they do every day of their life. So how can it get hurt doing exactly what it was created to do? It's like a human being getting hurt breathing.
    Horses do love to run ...even the ones that are bred for other purposes do like to race each other however the problem with the racing industry is that they are pushing these babies to do too much too early (well thats the main problem....I could go on about a few others). Their bones and joints are not even finished forming. And, they are not machines or made out of rubber so injuries will happen to any athlete.....I just feel they should lower the risks by letting them mature and training better without all the drugs. People are greedy. Its up to the humans to be responsible. These animals have a lot of heart and will do what you ask of them and then some. Its a real horseman or horsewoman that will not take advantage of that and let them get ruined.
    Think of the horses as teenagers....they have a lot of ability and feel inpervious.....sometimes you have to save them from themselves...not egg them on into dangerous adrinaline raging situations.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    Football players.
    Hockey players.

ozzysmom Guest
    Isn't there some way they can wrap the horses ankles? There are alot of new and very pliable materials out there now. Just seems to me if they could do that, that might help avoid such bad injuries.
    Personally I don't have anything against horse or dog racing. It's those damn rodeos and bull fighting that tick me off. I love it when some cowboy gets his ass handed to him by a bull. Always makes me smile a little inside. And those bull fighters are the worst of the bunch. I mean really, why is it a sport to throw spears into the neck and brain of an animal that has absolutely no idea what is going on? A sport is a game between 2 opponents, bull fighting is not a sport. Just some bull trying to run down a guy in little red pants because he's trying to spear him. Hell, I'd do the same thing if it was me getting speared, but that don't make me an athlete. LOL

MbalmR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marimbagirl View Post
    Really didn't mean to hit a nerve. Sorry if my comment offended anyone, but I've heard so many stories from jockeys and cowboys that putting them down really does sound like the better alternative.

You wouldn't believe half of the stuff that I hear.
    Oh heavens, you didn't offend me at all. I'm just a bleeding heart animal lover is all.

football players do not get "guaranteed" money like other pro sports. 10 years to get a pension? i don't care much for the Not For Long NFL.

if they are going to race horses[which i care little about,either[ Should'nt they run on grass?

deathhagcutie Guest
    it happens alot in horse racing, but you never hear about cuz its not the kentucky derby,they don't drug the horses cuz they test for that and those horser are treated a hell of a lot better than alot of humans in the world..

and of coarse peta always has to get there hands in it..(i love animals, not peta)

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathhagcutie View Post
    (i love animals, not peta)
    Amen! There should be more like you.