Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie Location Tour

Movie Location Tour

One of the major things occupying my time right now, is the development of the Movie Location Tour I'm working on. For now its another tour Dearly Departed will offer, but I think it has potential for something bigger. I've just acquired the exclusive LA rights to use my bus as a "theater on wheels" and will take people to the places their favorite films have been shot, and they can see them on screen in the bus.

My question for you guys:

What are your favorite films shot around LA. I don't need names of books or websites that feature these things, but I would like to know what you personally like, as far as films made in LA, in which you can actually see LA.

LA Confidential
    Pretty Woman...

That sort of thing. I have hundreds of dvds I'm poring through, but curious about your thoughts.

Thanks,

Scott

Chevyheaven Guest
    I know its a kid flick but I couldnt get enough of Superbad. I thought it was hilarious.. Took me back to me younger days. That was filmed in LA I think.

Valley Girl, Grease, Sunset Boulevard to name a few.
    I'm taking your tour on July 20th (can't wait) and wondered if the tour takes us to the Bronson Cave and the maybe the M*A*S*H site. If not I'll have to find them on my own I guess.

Less Than Zero, To Live and die in L.A., The Cheech and Chong Movies, The Doors, to name a few. More will come to me during the week

Littleroben Guest
    My geography might be a bit out but what about Speed and The Usual Suspects - I think these both had lots of out doors stuff.

PvN73 Guest
    Mulholland Drive,

Pulp Fiction, E.T., What Ever Happend to Baby Jane, Bladerunner

Suzanne30 Guest
    The Graduate
    Rebel Without A Cause

SenorMuerto Guest
    "Pee Wee's Big Adventure"

"Chinatown"

"It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"

"24" (the FOX series)

Layla331 Guest
    oh valley girl defiently..loved it

crazedfemale Guest
    Breezy

Lethal Weapon 4
    Rush Hour
    Chaplin
    Bevererly Hills Cop
    Bugsy

crazedfemale Guest
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I did visit the Sherman Oaks Galleria in 1989, but I hear it's been remodeled and looks nothing like the movie.

Pulp Fiction (Maybe more to come this week )

BigBootyJudy Guest
    Valley Girl, The Black Dahlia, You could always do one in Malibu too, all kinds of movies were filmed at Sycamore Canyon and Leo Carillo which is where the Beach Party movies were filmed and Back to The Beach in the 80's ( and Baywatch, I know not a movie). That could be a whole day thing because there is so much to see there and places to eat! I worked there for 6 years and there are many recognizable spots. Also many spots in Pasadena but that seems out of your way as well.

smooches27 Guest
    The Doors!!!

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Body Double--the Rodeo Collection is easy, but finding those two houses where Deborah Shelton lived and the weird/flying saucer one where they spied on her, that would be cool, and many other great locations, but maybe that movie is not well known enough. I really like Brian de Palma and have watched his films many times, not sure who your typical customers are.

Clueless.
    American Gigilo??
    Last edited by FloridaDeathHag; 04-15-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Suzanne30 Guest
    Constantine was set in and filmed in and around L.A.

Body Double
    I know that movie. It's got quite a cult following. Good choice!

The Shrine Auditorium exterior was the building used in the original King Kong where he was put on display.

knothere Guest
    the i love lucy show when her n ethel jumped her own fence to steel apples or sumin on roxbury but i guess its been done to death

crazedfemale Guest
    That was Lucy's house. I don't know if that big wall is still standing. I know it's been redone. And it was a grapefruit she wanted Richard Widmark to sign it. Great, funny episode!

Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    That was Lucy's house. I don't know if that big wall is still standing. I know it's been redone. And it was a grapefruit she wanted Richard Widmark to sign it. Great, funny episode!
    Scott is selling pieces of the wall which was torn down.
    I have a chunk right next to me.

Findadeath.com store for details.

crazedfemale Guest
    Thank you. Scott always has great stuff for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Homicide Cop View Post
    Valley Girl, Grease, Sunset Boulevard to name a few.
    I'm taking your tour on July 20th (can't wait) and wondered if the tour takes us to the Bronson Cave and the maybe the M*A*S*H site. If not I'll have to find them on my own I guess.
    MASH is way out there, but Bronson is easy to find. I can't hit it on my tour, its about a 1/2 mile walk, but very easy to find.

OH and PS: Thanks for the suggestions. I had a lot of them, but there were many I didn't. So, thanks!

Littleroben Guest
    Cool, glad we could help.

Schmermie Guest

Punch drunk love

I've always wondered where they filmed Punch drunk love with Adam Sandler. Looks like a lot of it was in the Fairfax district. The film has such a "Los Angeles" feel to it.

I know not many people like to admit it, but I am proud to say that I truly love Los Angeles.

Schmermie Guest

Boogie Nights

I forgot about Boogie Nights. One of my all time favorite films.

Love the idea of your doing this sort of tour, Scott. I'll have to schedule a trip to LA just so I can be one of the first to enjoy it!

BigBootyJudy Guest
    Possibly Colors, Boyz N the Hood, Blood In Blood Out. I think alot of these movie showed things like the Watts Towers and those kind of odd landmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBootyJudy View Post
    Possibly Colors, Boyz N the Hood, Blood In Blood Out. I think alot of these movie showed things like the Watts Towers and those kind of odd landmarks.
    Imagine Scott's tour bus crusing the streets of Compton and Watts. Haha, he would have to have his customers sign insurance waivers.

BigBootyJudy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Imagine Scott's tour bus crusing the streets of Compton and Watts. Haha, he would have to have his customers sign insurance waivers.
    Yeah I just realized my complete ignorance with that Jefe. LOL Don't think the hood is a place Scott wants to take a tour.

Ok so lets disregard my recent suggestions because I am a complete airhead. Thanks.
    Last edited by BigBootyJudy; 04-17-2008 at 03:07 PM.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    This will sound bizarre, but I really loved that 1984 low-budget leerer "Angel" about the story of a 14 year old honor student, Molly, at an expensive LA private school who at night became "Angel" a streethooker on Hollywood Boulevard. Which of course results in electrifying action and suspense as all is not well in Angel/Molly's world because there's a hooker-killer on the loose. There were loads of scenes up and down Hollywood Boulevard. Here's the link and yes, that's my review second down on the right. A little obscure perhaps, but you asked!!

http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Collecti...8464018&sr=8-1

LOL, funny about the Crenshaw comment. When I took the Girls Next Door on the tour, I took them to the Black Dahlia discover site, at 38th and Norton. Kendra and Bridget wanted to eat, so we stopped at McDonalds on Crenshaw. I was a bit nervous walking in with those three Aryan princesses, but it all went well.

Angel is added to my list, looking forward to seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    This will sound bizarre, but I really loved that 1984 low-budget leerer "Angel" about the story of a 14 year old honor student, Molly, at an expensive LA private school who at night became "Angel" a streethooker on Hollywood Boulevard. Which of course results in electrifying action and suspense as all is not well in Angel/Molly's world because there's a hooker-killer on the loose. There were loads of scenes up and down Hollywood Boulevard. Here's the link and yes, that's my review second down on the right. A little obscure perhaps, but you asked!!

http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Collecti...8464018&sr=8-1
    Nope, not obscure at all. It's another hagtastic cult classic!

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I know, I watched it last night in honor of this thread. It still is the best!!

I looked through my DVD collection, and the only other idea I have it, there were some cool buildings and houses and locations in Death Becomes Her, but I'm not sure the Isabella Rossellini castle is real or even in L.A.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    I know, I watched it last night in honor of this thread. It still is the best!!

I looked through my DVD collection, and the only other idea I have it, there were some cool buildings and houses and locations in Death Becomes Her, but I'm not sure the Isabella Rossellini castle is real or even in L.A.
    That was Graystone Manor in Beverly Hills. Its been used in a gajillion films, and was the location for a murder.

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Live/Greystone.shtml

BigBootyJudy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    That was Graystone Manor in Beverly Hills. Its been used in a gajillion films, and was the location for a murder.

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Live/Greystone.shtml
    I am always fascinated by your knowledge Scott! I would love to sit down ywith you for a day feed you drinks and let you tell all the stories in that fabulous head of yours!

There is no way I could narrow down to a short list of fav locs in the L.A. area. Considering the history of film around there I do not envy you that job. Good luck.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Considering the history of film around there I do not envy you that job. Good luck.

But it is without a doubt, the greatest job. Drinks? Did someone say drinks?

Count me in!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Don't forget to start your day with a nutritious breakfast!

BigBootyJudy Guest

I did!! A small price to pay for some of the many stories I know I would love to hear you tell!

Oh and how about any of the LA locations from Almost Famous??
    Last edited by BigBootyJudy; 04-18-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Someday a big, fat, juicy book would be cool.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Gary Guest
    How about where some of the Laurel & Hardy or Our Gang shorts were shot? I've been to the staircase for L&H's THE MUSIC BOX, but there's gotta be some other recognizable places.

knothere Guest
    when i become a billionare ill pay for all the drinks for the rest of scotts life

1condition

i get to hear all the stories

kimmer927 Guest
    Don't know if anyone has posted this one and I should have looked but I gotta go home, 40 year Old Virgin. Almost all takes place up and down Ventura Blvd in Encino, although I think the EBay Store is gone now.

alicecooper91 Guest
    I keep thinking of things filmed around LA, but not in LA, like Back to the Future. Only thing that popped into my head is almost too obvious to stop at, but I would be amused to watch the end part of Blazing Saddles while in front of Graumann's.

i'm sure you must have the Griffith Observatory, dorothy chandler pavillion area, china town, olvera street, old los angeles downtown and 'the big white tile tunnel".....(living in new zealand now makes me homesick...)
    pull the string!

Quote Originally Posted by kimmer927 View Post
    Don't know if anyone has posted this one and I should have looked but I gotta go home, 40 year Old Virgin. Almost all takes place up and down Ventura Blvd in Encino, although I think the EBay Store is gone now.

Love that one, same with Boogie Nights - both primarily filmed in the Valley - which I'm staying out of now. I just found Cher's house from Clueless in Encino. Great suggestion.

Love that one, same with Boogie Nights - both primarily filmed in the Valley - which I'm staying out of now. I just found Cher's house from Clueless in Encino. Great suggestion.
    I was going to mention Clueless, one of my favorites. Woot! Cool, Scott!