Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you crossed John List with Andrea Yates - Mark Castillo

If you crossed John List with Andrea Yates - Mark Castillo

... Gee, do you think a MAN who claims mental illness and drowned all his kids in a tub will get as much "understanding" as the Abominable Andrea?

And a pox on the judge whose decision doomed these babies.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n3981587.shtml

(CBS/AP) A man who had argued with his estranged wife over the custody of their three children has confessed to drowning them in a hotel bathtub on the night they were to go back with their mother, police said Monday.

Mark Castillo, 41, of Rockville was charged with three counts of first-degree murder and six counts of child abuse. Police say he was charged about 1 p.m. Monday after being treated at a hospital for self-inflicted cuts to his neck.

Police did not cite a motive.

But his wife wrote in court documents that her husband had threatened to make her suffer by killing the children. She sought a protective order Dec. 25, 2006, and asked that the court order Castillo to receive counseling.

"He has never actually hurt (the children), but did tell me that the worst thing he could do to me would be to kill the children and not me so I could live without them," she wrote in the petition.

The Washington Post reports court records state Castillo suffers from bipolar disorder, and that his wife told the court that he had undergone a week of involuntarily commitment to a psychiatric hospital.

"He had a manic episode," she wrote, and "was driving around the country living in the car and threatened to kill himself."

She also wrote that when her husband took the children for visits, he would not tell her where they were staying.

A temporary protective order was approved three days after the petition was filed, but Circuit Judge Joseph Dugan rejected a permanent order Jan. 10, 2007. In explaining his decision, Dugan wrote there was "no clear or convincing evidence that the alleged acts of abuse occurred."

Police identified the children as Anthony, 6, Austin, 4, and Athena, 2.

Castillo and the children spent time Saturday afternoon at Baltimore's Inner Harbor, then checked into the Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor. The children were drowned, one at a time, in the tub that night, Bealefeld said.

Police said Castillo called the hotel front desk Sunday afternoon, saying he'd killed the children and was going to commit suicide. Baltimore police and firefighters were sent to their 10th-floor room and discovered the bodies, Bealefeld said.

Castillo was supposed to have returned the children to their mother in Silver Spring at 8:30 p.m. Saturday. His wife called Montgomery County police shortly after that time to say that her husband had not returned the children, Bealefeld said.

Baltimore police did not know how Montgomery County police responded, but said the cases were not connected until after the children's bodies were found.

Lt. Paul Starks, a Montgomery County police spokesman, told the Baltimore Sun that "there was an active agreement for visitation, and he and she were working with that."

Bealefeld wouldn't discuss the crime scene in detail but said police seized a laptop from the hotel room and were searching Castillo's home.

Mayor Sheila Dixon said people in Baltimore would pray for the mother.

"We will be asking ourselves, 'Why, why could someone do this?"' Dixon said.

Lisamarie Guest
    What a creepy room to have now...the famouse child drowning room!! Thats eerie! Poor mother ! What makes people kill there own kids to get back at their spouses?? Thats beyond awful....as for Andrea Yates...May she get hers in hell cause she sure as hell aint getting it here...the place she is being kept has not only a petting zoo with farm animals but also garden therapy WTF?? Not to mention understanding dr who dont judge the patients by there crime....ummmm...SHE CHASED DOWN AND DROWN HER OWN KIDS ONE BY ONE!!!!!!!! But I guess they are right....she just needs some understanding.....maybe they can set up a date for her and this guy...afterall thay have so much in common.

Maruz83 Guest
    This is sick !!! I hope the judge can live with his mistake. I feel sorry for the mother

SEL2323 Guest
    This is a horrible story! How awful for a father to kill his own children. As for Andrea Yates,She should be held accountable but then again so should the family memeber who left her alone with the children. And the people who made her leave the hospital should be as well, OH and the insurance company. I have known someone with Post Pardom (sp?) depression and its extreamly bad! The truth is they are not thinking clearly. This girl i knew wasn't left alone w/ the baby for months, because she was saying and doing crazy things. Once she got her medication strightened out everything was okay but she had to work thru it before she could be left alone with her daughter. Its not an excuse mind you - that is not what im saying but it is something to think about. She needed to be hospitalized for a longer period of timeHer family shouldn't have left her alone with them, from the documentry i watched they knew something was going on in her head because they tried to keep someone with her and the kids at all times. So why did they leave her alone that day???? Just my opinion ( go ahead, tell me how crazy i am,i know it coming )

RoRo Guest
    i think this is a case of the judge trying to be all PC and "help" the man who is obviously insane ( and downright evil ) ....people who kill thier kids should be killed period...no child asks to be here and if a parent is crazy or whatever they should be punished!! We put down rabid dogs and dogs who attack people ...why are our children not precious enough to have their deaths be important enough to punish those who kill them??
    And I still think Rusty Yates should have been punished as well as Andrea!

Lisamarie Guest
    I have always wondered why she was left alone with the kids ...and yeah Rusty was an asshole who just wanted her to be barefoot and knockedup....But she is and aways will be evil in my book and I would not spit on the woman if she was in front of me on fire. Tons of singal moms do the same thing each day..woman with abusive husbands and they manage not to chase there own children down and drown them one by one. Yes she was sick in the head with the most evil anyone can posesses.

crazedfemale Guest
    Rusty just had a new son with his new wife.

pvezz Guest
    This will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but Andrea Yates is, as someone else on this forum once said, "crazier than a shithouse rat". This guy may have been bi-polar, but his wife KNEW IT and tried to do the right thing by keeping him away from the kids.

The difference between this guy and Andrea is that Rusty KNEW how ill she was and did NOTHING TO HELP HER. She was pulling out her own hair, picking her skin until she bled, and on and on and on. She had a history of severe mental illness, yet he had her living in a converted school bus and keeping her as a baby factory. Rusty has more culpability in the Yates case than most people want to admit. I don't know how he can live with himself.

End rant.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    This will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but Andrea Yates is, as someone else on this forum once said, "crazier than a shithouse rat". This guy may have been bi-polar, but his wife KNEW IT and tried to do the right thing by keeping him away from the kids.

The difference between this guy and Andrea is that Rusty KNEW how ill she was and did NOTHING TO HELP HER. She was pulling out her own hair, picking her skin until she bled, and on and on and on. She had a history of severe mental illness, yet he had her living in a converted school bus and keeping her as a baby factory. Rusty has more culpability in the Yates case than most people want to admit. I don't know how he can live with himself.

End rant.
    I don't know how he can either. That story was so horrendous I didn't do so much reading on it. I knew they said she was mentally ill, but I didn't know she was doing all those things. God, what a mess.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    Rusty just had a new son with his new wife.
    I saw that the other day & at first I thought it said he had a new baby with her. My first thought was to wonder why they didn't rip out her uterus with their bare hands after what she did. But then I realized he had a new wife. Blass them.

crazedfemale Guest
    He married a fellow churchgoer and NASA employee in 2006. She had 2 sons ages 21 and 9 at the time. Her name is Laura Arnold.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    He married a fellow churchgoer and NASA employee in 2006. She had 2 sons ages 21 and 9 at the time. Her name is Laura Arnold.
    I thought of him when the drunk idiot driving the wrong way killed four members of a family, leaving the father & three children alive. I bet he could help this man.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Rusty, I have little sympathy for.......Andrea is another story *multiple stories, based on her mental illness(es). As for John List............he's a worthless POS in my opinion. Had he done the research to discover that the ceiling in the ballroom *Tiffany, no less, would have solved ALL of his financial problems....maybe his kids would be thriving today. Then again...........when I stop to think.........and SOMETIMES, I DO........anyone who would kill their family for no good reason (i.e. not being lethally threatened by the victim) HAS to be mentally ill. I cannot fathom any other reason for taking life from a family member (or stranger, for that matter) without a threat of serious consequence could ever be based on a lucid thought.

End rant.

I agree

RaRaRamona Guest
    Do you think Andrea will get out of the hospital? Or will she stay there forever? What if she wanted to have kids one day?

I'm curious about all of these things.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Do you think Andrea will get out of the hospital? Or will she stay there forever? What if she wanted to have kids one day?

I'm curious about all of these things.
    While I DO have deep sympathy for her, I do not think that she should be released at any time in the near future..........MAYBE after she's been through menopause.....when she can no longer procreate.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    While I DO have deep sympathy for her, I do not think that she should be released at any time in the near future..........MAYBE after she's been through menopause.....when she can no longer procreate.
    That's a good idea. For everyone's safety.

NOVSTORM Guest

End rant.

You have my vote. I feel for that woman too. She went nuts how many times? The sperm donor wanted more kids, took her off meds after dr said NO and then left her alone with the kids after she had told her MIL she was going to hurt them. She may have done the deed but she was not in her right mind. Guilty are the ones that took her off meds, took her from hospital and left her alone with the kids.

Lisamarie Guest
    OKAY ...Im getting out of this thread..you guys are nuts!!! I mean yeah she had mental problems...yeah he took advantage..BUT SHE DROMWNED HER CHILDREN ONE BY ONE@!!!!!!! yOU GUYS CAN WATSE YOUR TIME FEELING SORRY FOR A BITCH LIKE Andrea Yates..I feel sorry for her children who are rotting in a grave.....who last thought was why is mommy drowning me.....I like you guys and dont wanna fight so Im getting out of here, why dont you all get together and send her a damn hallmark!Jeesh!!

Lisamarie Guest
    Called police almost immediately after drowning the last child.
    2. Resisted 911 efforts to coax her into explaining what happened, as if ashamed.
    3. Called Rusty and told him to come home immediately without explaining why it was urgent.
    4. Recognized need for police involvement because "the police is who you call when you've done something wrong."
    5. Called the police after drowning the children because mother-in-law Dora Yates was about to come over.
    6. Expressed profound guilt the next day -- despite the fact that she was getting even sicker.
    7. Thought she needed to be punished for having done something wrong.
    8. Said she didn't want to be the one to tell Rusty.
    9. No confusion or protest with being taken into custody.
    10. Anticipated being punished by criminal justice system.
    11. After drowning her children, asked when her trial would be.
    12. Said in the immediate aftermath she was prepared to go to hell for what she had done.
    13. At first Yates told no one of the visions -- as if she knew they were bad.
    14. She made it a point to act normally the morning of the crime.
    15. Yates did not talk about her mood or ideas so as not to arouse any suspicious feelings from her husband Rusty, who attentively helped with taking care of the children each morning.
    16. She waited to fill the tub until after Rusty had left the house.

17. The pet labrador that protected the kids was locked in its cage after Rusty left, contrary to normal practice in the Yates household.
    18. After she drowned the children, she concealed the dead bodies from the other children.
    19. She killed eldest son Noah last because as the strongest and largest, he would have disrupted the attacks.
    20. At one point, she "made up her mind" to kill the children, but held back and went back to sleep because Rusty was there.
    21. Visions she had in 1994 about her stabbing Noah were distressing to her.
    22. The 1994 image of stabbing Noah prompted her to take active measures to quell such thoughts.
    23. In 999 when the vision returned she was again distressed and restrained herself from acting on them.
    24. When she feared acting on the visions, she called Rusty home from work saying she "needed help."
    25. When the urge to stab Noah would became overpowering, she ingested an entire bottle of Trazadone, her psychoactive medication, to keep her from acting on it.
    26. She opted to attempt suicide in June 1999 to prevent herself from acting on urge to kill Noah.
    27. Opted for suicide again in July 1999, in order to keep from killing Noah.
    28. Did not tell anyone about homicidal urges for months.
    29. If she maintained the idea not to speak about her visions in order to prevent them from coming to fruition, this avoidance would also demonstrate awareness of the wrongfulness.
    30. Told doctors about her homicidal visions in 1999 but still would not tell her family.
    31. Yates said Rusty would have been very upset and scared in 1999 if she'd told him of her thoughts of stabbing Noah.
    32. In 2001, when Yates began to formulate her plan for drowning the children, she never told Rusty -- even of the motivation, let alone the action.

Lisamarie Guest
    Houston police saw child sized footprints of water throughout the house implying a chase, Yates later denied chasing Noah in a letter to author Suzanne O'Malley in November 2001. Police interview by Officer Mehl: "Did he try to run from you? Yates: "Yes." Mehl: "Did he get out of the bathroom OR were you able to catch him?" Yates: "I got him."

Lisamarie Guest
    okay feel sorry for her all you want. Fuck Andrea Yates!! Mental illness or not each and every one of us know right from wrong and yes even crazy people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    OKAY ...Im getting out of this thread..you guys are nuts!!! I mean yeah she had mental problems...yeah he took advantage..BUT SHE DROMWNED HER CHILDREN ONE BY ONE@!!!!!!! yOU GUYS CAN WATSE YOUR TIME FEELING SORRY FOR A BITCH LIKE Andrea Yates..I feel sorry for her children who are rotting in a grave.....who last thought was why is mommy drowning me.....I like you guys and dont wanna fight so Im getting out of here, why dont you all get together and send her a damn hallmark!Jeesh!!
    Lisa, lets role play. Lets say you and your husband have some kids. After awhile your husband starts acting weird and starts telling you that he wants to hurt the kids. He goes to the doctor.He gets thrown into a asylum. The docs tell you he is nuts. He needs to be on serious meds.Would you have more kids with him? Would you take him off the meds?Would you leave him alone with the kids. My point is that people have no one to blame but themselves if they let a insane person watch their kids. When someone is having a manic episode they can't help what they do. She should not be released because she is mentally unstabe.

Lisamarie Guest
    Excuse it all you want....like I said you all need to get together and send her a hallmark saying you feel her pain.

Are you mad? It sounds like you are. You shouldnt be angry just because someone has a different point of view than you.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I feel sorry for all of them but I repeat she should have had her uterus ripped out.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Hey Lisa I think THS did a piece on Andrea. It's very good. You should watch it, it explains a lot. It's probably on youtube. They were both nuts of you ask me.

I feel sorry for all of them but I repeat she should have had her uterus ripped out.
    She should have her tubes cut thats for sure. I don't feel sorry for Rusty. His stubborn, selfish actions are why his kids are dead. That pastor had a role in it as well.

Lisamarie Guest
    Im not mad I just cannot for the life of me believe anyone would feel sorry for this woman. I agree she was crazy as can be...I agree her husband is beyond horrible....but what she did was just evil! I mean her motherin law was on her way over had she waited just an hour she could have told the mother anything is better than killing your own kids!! I saw the THS..and what suprised me most was how normal she was..did well in school had friends got good grades...held a job until Rusty came along.......They both were nuts..But ONE killed her own children.

Lisamarie Guest
    OH I AGREE 100% Rusty and the pastor hold fault for sure!!

Lisamarie Guest
    Not angry disgusted.

pvezz Guest
    "15. Yates did not talk about her mood or ideas so as not to arouse any suspicious feelings from her husband Rusty, who attentively helped with taking care of the children each morning."

What a crock of shit this is.

Lisa, we'll have to agree to disagree. The post from which I took #15 just cements my opinion that she was crazy. There is a reason why "not guilty by reason of insanity" is a legal defense; that's so we put sick people away forever in a mental hospital (where they can get help and meds) instead of jail.

BTW, I'm not saying that I don't feel for those children, and I'm not saying I want to send her a Hallmark card. I'm saying that she was/is mentally ill and therefore cannot LEGALLY be held accountable for her actions, deplorable or not.

She needs to stay in a mental facility for the rest of her life, IMO, so someone can make sure she takes her meds. She should also never be allowed to have children again, IMO.
    Last edited by pvezz; 04-02-2008 at 06:14 AM.

Lisamarie Guest
    Thats all from a doctor who intreviewed her after the murders. I thought it was bullshit as well. I just dont feel sorry for her and as flawed as our system is I think she will get out and most likley have more kids. I guess only time will tell.

Im sorry if I was mean or direspectful to anyone.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Thats all from a doctor who intreviewed her after the murders. I thought it was bullshit as well. I just dont feel sorry for her and as flawed as our system is I think she will get out and most likley have more kids. I guess only time will tell.

Im sorry if I was mean or direspectful to anyone.
    Nah, you were just blowing off some steam. A story like this is so impossible to take.
    The one thing I never understood about cases like the Yates case (and others) is why they kill the children, but they don't kill themselves. They get to stay here. How one-sided is that?
    That just doesn't compute.

endsleigh03 Guest
    On a side-note, to this day I'd like to get ahold of Susan Smith and snatch her baldheaded, what a ruthless BITCH.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    On a side-note, to this day I'd like to get ahold of Susan Smith and snatch her baldheaded, what a ruthless BITCH.
    Remember when she had a dating ad on Prison Talk or whatever that was? So scandalous!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Remember when she had a dating ad on Prison Talk or whatever that was? So scandalous!
    Did she now?
    That was one who should have been put down like an old sick dog, even thats too good, really.
    And why are they letting a child-killer write ads or do anything?
    They should have put her in solitary, til her last breath.
    Oh, wait, wouldn't want to deny her human rights, would we?

RaRaRamona Guest

Lisamarie Guest
    I remeber her stupid little Be sweet!!! What a bitch Susan Smith is and to think she even considers dateing.....I would like to lock her in a car and run it in a lake.....

SEL2323 Guest
    Now Susan Smith is an entirely different animal....She used everyone in this country in her scheme. Her's was not a mental problem, her's was a "I Want My Way !" type of problem and she is exactly where she belongs. And this was nobody's doing but HER own!!!!!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SEL2323 View Post
    Now Susan Smith is an entirely different animal....She used everyone in this country in her scheme. Her's was not a mental problem, her's was a "I Want My Way !" type of problem and she is exactly where she belongs. And this was nobody's doing but HER own!!!!!
    She's not exactly where she belongs. She's a little north of the ground for me.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SEL2323 View Post

Yes, but they still share a common thread, whatever the reasons.
    Both killed their children.

Lisamarie Guest
    I still think Addrea Yates is a horrible...evil person no matter what abuse , mental illness whatever you wanna pin it on the fact remains she drowned all of her children. one by one and I for one dont think she should be living peacfully in some mental ward someplace getting thearapy so she feels better about herself.She is evil and she will burn in hell.

pvezz Guest
    I still think Addrea Yates is a horrible...evil person no matter what abuse , mental illness whatever you wanna pin it on the fact remains she drowned all of her children. one by one and I for one dont think she should be living peacfully in some mental ward someplace getting thearapy so she feels better about herself.She is evil and she will burn in hell.
    Lisa, you know you and I are cool, but I can't resist responding. She was found not guilty by reason of insanity. Do you think all mentally ill people who may do something violent go to hell?

Lisamarie Guest
    No just the ones that kill their children, or other innocent people.

pvezz Guest
    No just the ones that kill their children, or other innocent people.
    So I guess you don't believe in insanity as a legal defense, then.

Lisamarie Guest
    I think you kind of have to be insane to kill anyone. Unless its war or self defence.

letty1970 Guest

Unhappy

I am with you on this one Lisa. when i hear of storys like this I feel Physically sick.It is bad enough when a father kills his child but utterly unbelievable when a mother does.

Lisamarie Guest
    Thankyou so very much Letty1970!!! I was thinking it through again and agin and I just cannot feel for this woman EVER!!!! I mean she carried each one nine months felt them move inside of her gave birth to them fed them put them to sleep...AND PROCEEDED TO DROWN THEM ALL IN THE TUB!!!!! I really like the two other on this thread I have been arguing with about this...thats why I was utterly shocked when one said she FELT for her...I just dont get that.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Lisa, I'm cool with you, but we'll have to agree to disagree about Andrea. She had years of documented mental illness, very serious episodes, including suicidal and homicidal ideations. I believe she was honestly very mentally ill. I also believe Rusty should have been tried as well, he knew the depth of her illness and chose to ignore it. More than one doctor advised against more children, yet he kept knocking her up. She was not supposed to be alone with the children, period. He ignored that and left her alone with the children.

John List is completely different ball of wax. He was just a cowardly bastard who didn't want to face his problems and find a solution for them.

Susan Smith: UGH. Why not give her ex custody if she couldn't be bothered and it was ruining her love life?