Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 123

Thread: Carroll O'Connor

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I have 3 fave's that come to mind..The Rape,Menopause,and when Archie and Sammy Davis shared a cab. and yes Scott..put Carroll on FAD..(No pressure) : )
    Oh yea, when Sammy planted the kiss on Archie while they took a picture?

    The look on Archie's face was priceless. I read somewhere that Sammy came to Norman Lear and asked to be on the show. Not the other way around. It was that popular of a show.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    I believe Peachtree TV is only available in Atlanta. I miss the days of the old WTBS 17 and Bill Tush LOL

    Over the years I heard that Connor was actually quite liberal, nothing at all like Archie Bunker.

    Actually I believe pretty much all of those who appeared on all of Lear's shows were liberal.
    Yeah, Peachtree TV is an Atlanta station .. the main street that runs through Atl is Peachtree St. so thats probably where the name comes from .. LOL

    They play AITF in the AM on that channel but I am not sure the nighttime line up!

  3. #53
    I'm watching an interview with him on YouTube right now... he seems very old and frail.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j0l1u9RckY

    Even though I was born several years after it ended (well, maybe a few, if you count "Archie Bunker's Place"), "All In The Family" has a special place in my heart because it's such a reflection of my own family. After having to struggle with what my family has been like for the last twenty-one years, it's wonderful to see the same situations exaggerated and become so entertaining.
    Last edited by TheLazenby; 03-31-2008 at 09:32 PM.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Johnny Cashville
    Posts
    22,611
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post



    I was also moved by how driven Hugh was in the wake of Hugh's death. (Which also reminded me of my old man....Dad would have fought to his death to revenge the death of his son....had he not predeceased my brother...the one who proclaimed the similarity between Dad & Archie.
    Wow that gave me chicken skin. That is eerie, the similarities. RIP to them both.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    I think my favorite episode is were Edith invited some swingers over just thinking they wanted to be friends. LOL
    You almost can't go wrong with a swingers episode.

    You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    521

    The Christmas episode

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    You are so right. Alot of sensitive sad shows as well.

    The one where Edith died and the one she had gotten raped in were the two saddest for me.

    Also the one where Mike's friend who was a draft dodger came to Archie's house for Christmas dinner was a very gripping episode as well.

    Some of those shows really made you think.
    Yes, the Christmas episode was one of the best! When Archie starts yelling, he's actually a little scary. One of Carroll O'Connor's best episodes.

    Another favorite of mine is when Archie is trying to talk the man off of the ledge. Priceless.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    Yes, the Christmas episode was one of the best! When Archie starts yelling, he's actually a little scary. One of Carroll O'Connor's best episodes.

    Another favorite of mine is when Archie is trying to talk the man off of the ledge. Priceless.
    God yes he was scary in that episode. Honestly brings goosebumps when I watch it he does such a great job. I think its just after they sit down to dinner he finds out Mike's friend is from Canada dodging the draft?

    And I think in the other episode you mention weren't they at the employment office or something and the guy could not get a job?

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    God yes he was scary in that episode. Honestly brings goosebumps when I watch it he does such a great job. I think its just after they sit down to dinner he finds out Mike's friend is from Canada dodging the draft?

    And I think in the other episode you mention weren't they at the employment office or something and the guy could not get a job?
    Yes, on both of your answers. Very good!

  8. #58
    Guest Guest
    Oh my thank you for starting this thread, I love this man and I have not thought about him in a long time. Such beautiful blue sad eyes he had, beautiful sad blue eyes...

    Well my favorite eppy was when he and meathead got locked in the basement together and Archie got drunk (I am pretty sure he got drunk) and started telling meathead about the abuse he got from his father, which he interpreted as "love and discipline", not abuse, and meathead started to realized why Archie was the way he was. ie. the way he was brought up. I had a similiar experience with my own father, and my father during one of his many drinking binges (my parents were alcoholics) told me about how his father used to drink etc etc. I can hardly bring myself to watch that eppy, it is scary how similiar it is to my own experience. Anyway meathead in the end sees Archie as a human and not so much as a jerk and covers him up with a blanket in a compassionate act. Same happened to me, I saw my father as a human after that and started to understand why he was the way he was. (though little children should never have to go through what I went through as a child.)

    I loved that show, such intelligent writing compared to the pure crapola reality shows and crap brain drain shows they mostly have on tv nowadays. ps I loved Edith too, I always fantasize about having her for a mother....

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykitty View Post
    Oh my thank you for starting this thread, I love this man and I have not thought about him in a long time. Such beautiful blue sad eyes he had, beautiful sad blue eyes...

    Well my favorite eppy was when he and meathead got locked in the basement together and Archie got drunk (I am pretty sure he got drunk) and started telling meathead about the abuse he got from his father, which he interpreted as "love and discipline", not abuse, and meathead started to realized why Archie was the way he was. ie. the way he was brought up. I had a similiar experience with my own father, and my father during one of his many drinking binges (my parents were alcoholics) told me about how his father used to drink etc etc. I can hardly bring myself to watch that eppy, it is scary how similiar it is to my own experience. Anyway meathead in the end sees Archie as a human and not so much as a jerk and covers him up with a blanket in a compassionate act. Same happened to me, I saw my father as a human after that and started to understand why he was the way he was. (though little children should never have to go through what I went through as a child.)

    I loved that show, such intelligent writing compared to the pure crapola reality shows and crap brain drain shows they mostly have on tv nowadays. ps I loved Edith too, I always fantasize about having her for a mother....
    Great episode, yes! Reminds me of one eppy where Mike and Edith are in the kitchen and Edith tells Mike why Archie is so hard on him.

    Basically, she said Archie had to quit school when he was in the 8th grade to support the family (Same as my Father did) and that Mike being in college represented sadness for Archie because it reminded him of all he could have been.

    She said to Mike "Archie will never be anything more than he is today." Then she told him that next time Archie yelled at him, just to try to keep that in mind. Mike went out in the living room, looked at Arch, hugged him and said "I understand"

    The look on Archie's face was priceless.

    What awesome lessons there was in that show.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    521
    Yes, that was a great episode. Later on in the series, when Archie forges (I mean, TRACED!) Edith's name on a loan application so he could get a loan to buy Kelsey's bar, and Edith is upset, Mike reminds Edith of what she told him that time about Archie being jealous, and Edith decides to support Archie.

    When Stephanie showed up, the series went downhill.

    I always found Archie Bunker's Place to be painfully unfunny.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    Yes, that was a great episode. Later on in the series, when Archie forges (I mean, TRACED!) Edith's name on a loan application so he could get a loan to buy Kelsey's bar, and Edith is upset, Mike reminds Edith of what she told him that time about Archie being jealous, and Edith decides to support Archie.

    When Stephanie showed up, the series went downhill.

    I always found Archie Bunker's Place to be painfully unfunny.
    Yes, I remember that!

    I agree on Stephanie. That gal that played her is the same age as I, so when she came on, while I liked her, looking back now, Archie Bunkers Place had no zing and was nothing like All in the Family.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    444

    Talking Just love your avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by bluebear71 View Post
    I always enjoyed Archie Bunker. Very sad about his personal problems though.
    Can't get enough of it!
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.


  13. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    696

    "Archie...what's a Homo Sapien"

    Classic Archie Lines.....

    When Edith asked Archiue what a Homo Sapien was....

    "everyone knows it's a killer fag...."

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    521
    Edith leaving was another reason the show went downhill. She and Archie made that show for me.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,125
    The one tht sticks in my mind is when Gloria had the miscarriage. A good side of Archie really came out in the one. I also loved the way he always called Gloria "little girl" especially when he was fussing with her.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Another great episode was the two refrigerator repair men. Its been ages
    since I have seen the episode but it shows two versions of what I think Arhcie said happens and what Mike or Edith saw? I can't remember.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    267

    Archie

    I cried when I heard he had passed. But he was never the same after the death of his son. Sooooooooooooooo sad.

    My fave episode was when Edith found out she was starting menopause. One minute she was crying, the next... she was a raving lunatic. It was too funny.

    RIP Carroll, you brought joy to so many lives.
    "What we have here.... is a failure to communicate."

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    521

    The REAL 704 Hauser Street?



    I thought that this was funny:


  19. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    Another great episode was the two refrigerator repair men. Its been ages
    since I have seen the episode but it shows two versions of what I think Arhcie said happens and what Mike or Edith saw? I can't remember.
    It's my favorite episode of "All In The Family".

    <<<SPOILER>>>

    The plot basically is that Archie thinks that the one of the repairman was carrying a switchblade knife, Mike says that the repairman isn't carrying a knife and at the end of the episode, Gloria asks Edith if the repairman was carrying a knife and Edith finds a penknife in her purse that the repairman accidentally left at the Bunker's house.
    Last edited by sew91472; 04-08-2008 at 07:08 PM.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Quote Originally Posted by sew91472 View Post
    It's my favorite episode of "All In The Family".

    <<<SPOILER>>>

    The plot basically is that Archie thinks that the one of the repairman was carrying a switchblade knife, Mike says that the repairman isn't carrying a knife and at the end of the episode, Gloria asks Edith if the repairman was carrying a knife and Edith finds a penknife in her purse that the repairman accidentally left at the Bunker's house.
    Yes that is how the episode went. Thanks.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    26
    This episode, I think features one of the longest raspberries in the series. I use this particular shot on my own website.

    www.geocities.com/evilfurnaceman

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyjox View Post
    Classic Archie Lines.....

    When Edith asked Archiue what a Homo Sapien was....

    "everyone knows it's a killer fag...."
    LMAO, I love it.

    How about when he said to Mike once "I never said a guy with glasses is a queer. A fag is a queer. A guy with glasses is a four eyes"

    LOL!
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

  23. #73
    I love the moment when Archie and Mike were fighting over religion and Mike blew a raspberry to God. Archie suddenly gets a terrified, open-mouthed expression and goes "WOW!!" and tells Mike, "You can't go PLBBBT to the man upstairs!"

    Classic. :-)

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLazenby View Post
    I love the moment when Archie and Mike were fighting over religion and Mike blew a raspberry to God. Archie suddenly gets a terrified, open-mouthed expression and goes "WOW!!" and tells Mike, "You can't go PLBBBT to the man upstairs!"

    Classic. :-)

    Simply hilarious! I loved this show. I remember watching it as a kid. I didn't always understand everything that was happening but watching episodes now I realize what a groundbreaking show this was especially for the time. FYI my dad has his own Archie Bunker Chair.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,186
    Loved this show! One of the smartest funniest shows ever..and Archie was one of the greatest characters ever! Love him and Carroll..love when Edith would tell Archie to stifle!
    Zombie kitteh is Hungry!!

  26. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,708
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.wanttohaveitall View Post
    Carroll O'Connor was a truely great actor. He will forever be Archie Bunker to me even tho I'm aware of his body of work pre AITF. From what I've read he was the polar opposite of AB. A tribute to his talent. It's hard to pick a favorite AITF episode because there are so many great ones but I always loved when Edith went through menopause and snapped at Archie to "Stifle!!!". LOL that was TOO funny!


    RIP Carroll.
    LOL! I loved it when Archie gave Edith about 15 minutes to get through menopause. He later gave her a hand-held battery-operated fan to help with her 'hermone' problems. "Stifle, stifle, stifle, damnit!"

  27. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,708
    Don't be a meathead, let's get Mr. O'Connor added to FAD.

  28. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    Don't be a meathead, let's get Mr. O'Connor added to FAD.
    Yes, I agree!!!

    He deserves it!
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

  29. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,708
    Remember Archie telling Edith before Sammy Davis Jr.'s visit to not mention his artificial eye? Then, one of them slips up and mentions it? Another favorite was when Maude took care of the family when they all had the flu. "Have no fear, Maudie's here!"

  30. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post


    I thought that this was funny:

    They must have bought the metal siding from that crook who tried to sell the siding to Archie. Mike asked why he would want to cover a brick house with aluminum siding. <L>

  31. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,708
    Remember when Edith accidentally let a shopping cart full of groceries roll down a hill and the cart hit a parked car? A can of cling peaches flew out of the cart and made a dent. She promised not to mention "Hmm hmm" again. Explaining the accident...she saw Mrs. Whatever and noticed her new baby...
    "I put my hands up *to her face* and I said, 'Oh, what a beautiful baby!' When I did that, the cart rolled away and the can of hmm hmms flew out of the cart and hit the car!"

  32. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    1,335
    The Sammy Davis Jr eppy was one of the *Very**FEW**Times* I saw my Dad laugh until he cried.

    We're moving dad's own "Archie Bunker" chair over to our house this weekend. Actually, it looks nothing like Archie's chair, but it's the one he ALWAYS sat in - and Lord help you if you sat in it ( unless you were a guest ! )

  33. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,037
    So does anybody else remember Archie Bunker for President
    in 1972 mugs or pins.

  34. #84
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    573
    His funeral was held at the Church in my neighborhood and he is buried in Westwood Memorial Cemetery just walking distance from me.
    The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

  35. #85
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Posts
    737
    He was absolutely wonderful in a movie called 'Return to Me' with David Duchovny and Minnie Driver. Carroll O'Connor was so great at making you believe he was any character he wanted. I really loved his work.
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

  36. #86
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,971
    I share a birthday with Mr. Bunker! August 2nd! What a great birthday present it would be if Scott added him to FAD on Aug. 2nd! I've always been proud of sharing that with him. He was awsome!

  37. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Witness protection program
    Posts
    826
    One of a kind,every time I see his name I cant believe he's gone.............

  38. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    SW
    Posts
    57
    I loved Carrol O'Connor in both All in the Family and Heat of the Night. He seemed to be the actor who knew when to play blustery when called for, but tender when needed (comforting Gloria or Edith). Plus, who can forget those blue eyes? Please, please add him to FAD.

  39. #89
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    594
    ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE is easily forgotten for the most part, but it did have a follow-up episode to the Sammy Davis Jr. episode from AitF. It ended with Archie kissing Sammy on the cheek in response to Sammy defending Archie from a reporter who called him a bigot.

    Malachy McCourt (Frank's younger brother, both the children of the title character from ANGELA'S ASHES) detested O'Connor for professional reasons: he's a burly Irishman and he said O'Connor got every role the two of them both went up for! He was bitter also because O'Connor grew up rich while the McCourts were too poor for acting lessons (which is something Carroll certainly couldn't be blamed for).

    Carroll's brother Robert is an extremely successful and respected psychiatrist in NYC, though semi-retired now.

    The ring Archie wore was Carroll O'Connor's grandfather's. He wore it for sentimental reasons.

    One of O'Connor's best friends in show business was Sorrell Booke/Boss Hogg, who was on a few eps of AitF. Both men were extremely well read and cultured off camera.

    O'Connor wanted to bring Archie back for a limited run series. In his treatment Archie had sold the bar and retired but still drove a cab for extra money. He liked the idea of the shows all taking place in the cab with a different rider each time. I'm not sure why it was never greenlighted. (Alf Garnett, the character on which Archie was based in Till Death Us Do Part, appeared in numerous series from the 60s to late 90s, always played by actor Warren Mitchell. In the 2000s Mitchell took the character on the road in England and Australia as part of a one-man show.)

    The episode mentioned above with Mike and Archie in the backroom and Archie talking (lovingly) of his abusive father was largely improved during rehearsal. O'Connor himself came up with most of the material using a back story he'd long before developed for the character.

    I think a sign of aging is when you find yourself liking Archie a lot more than Meathead. It's not that I agree with the character- he's misinformed and reactionary and at best rudimental in his logic- but I respect him. He provides for his family- including a son-in-law who's always mocking him and won't work (not sure where he or anybody else gets the idea you can't go to college and work at the same time)- and he's deep down a decent person, moreso than Mike (who in several episodes is revealed to be a hypocrite and ultimately leaves Gloria for another woman).
    Last edited by Sampiro; 07-15-2008 at 10:52 PM.

  40. #90
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    360
    Archie and Mr Jefferson played the same character. They were both exactly alike.

  41. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    521
    I read that while O'Connor wanted to bring Archie Bunker back, Norman Lear didn't want to. Supposedly the two never spoke again because of this.

    Who knows what would have happened?

  42. #92
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,713
    I had the distinct privilege of meeting Carroll O'Connor & his wife back in 1997. My cousin was his Personal Assistant for 16 years. Carroll had written a play called "A Certain Labor Day" which premiered here in San Francisco at Theater on the Square in 1997. My cousin invited myself and my daughter over to see the play. It was the last week. Sadly a very popular Critic had panned the play. All it takes is one bad review even if it isn't true to ruin the run of a play. So it was closing early. Jean Stapleton and Carroll had remained the best of friends after AITF had finished its run. When she did a play here in SF about Julia Childs, Carroll and his wife Nancy had come up this way to see it. Jean also came to see Carroll's play the first week it was here. Does anyone remember the Actor Eugene Roche? He was a popular character Actor and was often on AITF. He was in this play as well as Jennifer Stander whose father Lional Stander use to play Max on Hart to Hart with Robert Wagner and Stephanie Powers. The night I came to the play the Author Kurt Vonnegut "Slaughter House Five" was also there. After the curtain came down and the audience had left, we met Mr Vonnegut, then Carroll and his wife came out from backstage. He was absolutely the nicest man and so was his wife. Very intelligent and a great sense of humor. When he talked to you he had that special knack of making one feel like they were the only person in the room.

    My cousin mention that Mr. Vonnegut was waiting to meet him. Carroll actually appeared to be shy about meeting Kurt Vonnegut. He mentioned that he always had very much enjoyed the mans books and that he himself was alittle bit on the intimadated side when it came to meeting someone he had admired over the years. Afterwards we all went to Lefty O'Doul's for food and drinks with most of the crew.
    The great thing about Mr O'Connor is not only was he a terrific Actor but he was an extraordinarily kind man also. I was reading here on the board what a booger Steve Allen was to his personal Assistant. Claire was the best at what she did as a PA for Carroll O'Connor and he treated her likewise with the upmost respect. She helped him a great deal when he was trying to help his son Hugh and he writes about that in his autobiography. I guess you can say the best feature about Mr. O'Connor was he was very human in every way and not the least bit snobby or uppity about himself. We've all read and seen Actors with that crappy trait and nothings worse then meeting someone you have admired only to find that they are a huge Asshole.
    I loved his play and thought it was excellent.....so did my daughter. Sad that it had to close. After Carroll died my cousin went on to work as a PA for Director Joel Schumacher("The Lost Boys") until she retired. Sorry if I ramble too much....I apologize.
    Last edited by Nicki; 07-16-2008 at 12:53 AM.

  43. #93
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Toronto, OH
    Posts
    31
    The summer after 7th grade, my class all went on a trip to Washington, D.C. and while there we visited the Smithsonian. They had Edith and Archie's chairs there. I took a picture of them. I'll have to scan it. I always tell people at work to "stifle" themselves because of that show. LOL
    -Marisa

  44. #94
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    594
    His son was adopted while he was playing Casca in CLEOPATRA. He and his wife were on the registers for a baby in America but because he was an actor (meaning roller-coaster income and not the greatest track record for marital success [though Carroll was the exception]) they were far down the list and private adoptions were not as prevalent and a lot more expensive then, while in Italy they were easier.
    I understand his daughter-in-law and grandchild lived with Carroll and his wife after the separation and even when Hugh was still alive. I hope they were some comfort to him and Mrs. O'Connor at least.

  45. #95
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    The one tht sticks in my mind is when Gloria had the miscarriage. A good side of Archie really came out in the one. I also loved the way he always called Gloria "little girl" especially when he was fussing with her.

    You mean "Little Goil?"

  46. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Missouri City, Texas
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by BooMom View Post
    The Sammy Davis Jr eppy was one of the *Very**FEW**Times* I saw my Dad laugh until he cried.

    We're moving dad's own "Archie Bunker" chair over to our house this weekend. Actually, it looks nothing like Archie's chair, but it's the one he ALWAYS sat in - and Lord help you if you sat in it ( unless you were a guest ! )
    That episode is one of my faves Every time I see people getting coffee I say "Do you take cream and sugar in you eye?" LMFAO
    You'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies...

  47. #97
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,554
    I think about All in the Family and I just smile. I smile because of the actors, especially Carroll, who IMHO is the greatest actor ever to appear on a sit-com. Bar none, he had quite a career before AITF, starring with William Holden in "The Devil's Brigade" and other things I can't remember the name of, and appearing in all kinds of TV shows. I think my favorite is when Edith was happy it was Henry Mancini's birthday, and everyone was excited because Archie was coming home from a convention. He walks in and the neighbor was standing on her head (actress Betty Garrett) and Mike and Gloria were making out, the Jeffersons were dancing and the look on Archie's face when saw everyone acting loopy was priceless. I miss him, he was a jewel.
    Last edited by crazedfemale; 07-16-2008 at 08:27 PM.
    In memory of a wonderful actor who left us way too soon - William Holden 1918-1981.

  48. #98
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    I had the distinct privilege of meeting Carroll O'Connor & his wife back in 1997.
    Sorry if I ramble too much....I apologize.
    When you ramble, your bring the dead back to life with so much respect & humanity.....please ramble as much as you can here!

    In light of this thread, I had to google Jean Stapleton....and was surprised that she's still among us. She & Carroll were an awesome match on the small screen. We are all better for having "known" Archie & Edith. I feel that your special insight makes me better for having you here!

  49. #99
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,554
    It's amazing how much people respect him. I remember at his funeral they gave him a standing ovation!
    In memory of a wonderful actor who left us way too soon - William Holden 1918-1981.

  50. #100
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,708
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    I think about All in the Family and I just smile. I smile because of the actors, especially Carroll, who IMHO is the greatest actor ever to appear on a sit-com. Bar none, he had quite a career before AITF, starring with William Holden in "The Devil's Brigade" and other things I can't remember the name of, and appearing in all kinds of TV shows. I think my favorite is when Edith was happy it was Henry Mancini's birthday, and everyone was excited because Archie was coming home from a convention. He walks in and the neighbor was standing on her head (actress Betty Garrett) and Mike and Gloria were making out, the Jeffersons were dancing and the look on Archie's face when saw everyone acting loopy was priceless. I miss him, he was a jewel.
    While all that was going on, Edith was gyrating within a hula hoop.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •