Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayhem: Ã?ystein Aarseth (Euronymous), Per Yngve Ohlin

Adam Bomb Guest
    I got the opportunity to see Death in concert before Chuck died. Good show.

Flowergrrl Guest
    That's cool! I've listened to them for a long time... What happened to Chuck is fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratgrrl View Post
    I love Glenn Danzig! And I agree Opeth, How The Gods Kill is a great album... So is his work with Samhain and Misfits.

I'll name some of my favorite albums... Deicide- Deicide or Legion; Entombed- Clandestine; Obituary- Cause of Death; Cannibal Corpse- Tomb of the Mutilated; Death- pretty much anything by them... Scream Bloody Gore, Spiritual Healing, and Human are all great; Early Sepultura; Brujeria, Cancer, Suffocation, Carcass, Atrocity... hah, *breathe breathe*

What other kinds of music do you listen to Nessa? I like Thrash, Industrial, Punk, and a lot of other genres.
    I checked out most of those bands and while I respectfully just don't think it's my thing, the musicianship is there. Plus you can hear their influence in today's music, although today's music lacks balls.

Some of my faves: Nine Inch Nails, Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, the Cure, the Cult, the Smiths, Johnny Cash, Nothingface, Ministry, Soulfly, Avenged Sevenfold, Rage Against the Machine, Depeche Mode, (I have an unnatural affinity for all those dark, spooky bands that lived and died in the eighties and probably should have stayed there), Black Flag, the Ramones, the Misfits, Operation Ivy, Minor Threat, Social Distortion, Rancid, 7 Year Bitch, L7, My Ruin, Otep, etc for the pathological feminist in me, Tori Amos, Blondie, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, Guns 'n Roses, Nirvana, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Killing Joke, Bauhaus, Jane's Addiction, Alice in Chains, old Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Ben Harper, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Mavis Staples, B.B. King, Dropkick Murphys, Jet, Corrosion of Conformity, hair bands, old Mississippi delta blues, Wes Jeans, Lance Lopez, David Bowie, and a billion more.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Bomb View Post
    I got the opportunity to see Death in concert before Chuck died. Good show.
    That's cool! I've listened to them for a long time... What happened to Chuck is fucked up.
    It was pneumonia, right? Something banal like that.

Oh, I found this:
    In October 2003, Vikernes failed to return to his low-security prison in Tønsberg, Norway, after having been granted a short leave. Vikernes was found riding in a stolen Volvo car, which contained an unloaded AG3 automatic rifle, a handgun, numerous large knives, a gas mask, camouflage clothing, a laptop, a compass, a Global Positioning System, various maps and a fake passport (it is thought that Vikernes came to be in possession of this equipment by means of a military barracks). For this; thirteen months were added to his sentence, and he was then moved to a maximum-security prison in Trondheim. He has since been moved again, this time to Tromsø Prison.[18] [6]
    When Vikernes was convicted, it was possible to be released on parole after serving 12 years of a 21 year sentence, but this was later changed to 14 years by the Norwegian Parliament while he was in prison. In June 2006, Vikernes was denied parole by the Department of Criminal Justice for this reason, after having served 12 years of his sentence. His lawyer, John Christian Elden, is considering a lawsuit, viewing the policy change as a form of retroactive legislation. Article 97 of the Norwegian constitution prohibits any law to be given retroactive force.
    On August 28, 2006, it was stated on Vikernes' official website that his parole has been postponed to April 2008.

What a dumbass!

Varg's personal account of Euronymous's murder:
    http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/a_..._story02.shtml
    Last edited by Nessa; 04-09-2008 at 01:18 AM.

Black Metal is a fairly broad and general term. Generally, you can count on the music having really fast drums, particularly a lot of blast-beats. The vocals are *usually* higher-pitched and raspier than in death metal. Not too many black metal bands have the low, growling vocals. There is generally a kind of "DIY" attitude in regard to the production values, so the music is pretty lo-fi a lot of times. There are plenty of exceptions to the stuff I mentioned, but those are general ideas. Aside from the actual sound, the subject matter is usually anti-religious. Other subjects covered in the genre can include depression, suicide, death, murder, and all sorts of other uplifting things!

Some of my favorites black metal bands are Emperor, Immortal, Satyricon, *older* Cradle of Filth, Carpathian Forest, and some Dimmu Borgir. Those are the more popular bands in the genre. I like plenty of lesser known black metal bands, and in my opinion, that's where most of the really great stuff is. Underground black metal is a fascination and hobby of mine, and I have a LOT of it. If anyone's interested in some recommendations, I'd be more than happy to share. But it's definitely not going to appeal to most people.

What is Carpathian Forest all about? Are they any good? Ive heard a bit about them but have been a bit leary in checking them out. My biggest problem is is quality I dont want to spend 16.95 and it be pure ass cheese. I bought a Marduk cd not to long ago and it was horrible Can you recommend 2 things for me do you know of any good quality sounding black metal and is there any good ones that dont delve into all the Satanic crap. I dont mind if there pagan they can worship the moon and the forest but the hail Satans burned me out back in the 80s and 90s. Have you ever heard of Wintersun there pretty bad ass its funny tho all they sing about is winter I guess you could call it winter metal lol. take care

Adam Bomb Guest
    Nessa: Wow, I really love about 75% of the bands you listed. The Cure (LOVE THEM), Op Ivy, Nirvana, NIN, Minor Threat, the list goes on. You have good taste! And I remember reading the news about them capturing Vikernes after he tried to get away in that Volvo.

Opeth32: Carpathian Forest are definitely....different as far as black metal goes. They do a lot of the "Hail Satan" stuff that you're not fond of. A lot of showmanship, upside down crosses, but it's all done very tongue in cheek. They're definitely anti-religious, but they revel in the absurdity of it all. The music itself is really great, I think. "Strange Old Brew" and "Defending the Throne of Evil" are my two favorite albums. Like most bands, Carpathian Forest started out all "grim, evil, and serious" for the most part, but they grew into their own style. I really enjoy the fact that they like to play around a bit. Their bassist is a very fat man, and they make him play in very little clothing, just to gross people out. Fun stuff.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Some of my faves: Nine Inch Nails, Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, the Cure, the Cult, the Smiths, Johnny Cash, Nothingface, Ministry, Soulfly, Avenged Sevenfold, Rage Against the Machine, Depeche Mode, (I have an unnatural affinity for all those dark, spooky bands that lived and died in the eighties and probably should have stayed there), Black Flag, the Ramones, the Misfits, Operation Ivy, Minor Threat, Social Distortion, Rancid, 7 Year Bitch, L7, My Ruin, Otep, etc for the pathological feminist in me, Tori Amos, Blondie, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, Guns 'n Roses, Nirvana, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Killing Joke, Bauhaus, Jane's Addiction, Alice in Chains, old Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Ben Harper, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Mavis Staples, B.B. King, Dropkick Murphys, Jet, Corrosion of Conformity, hair bands, old Mississippi delta blues, Wes Jeans, Lance Lopez, David Bowie, and a billion more.
    I love AIC and David Bowie... And, Ministry... and.... O.K, I love a lot of those!

It was pneumonia, right? Something banal like that.
    Actually he had cancer twice. The first time he didn't have insurance and they had a benefit for him to raise money. Afterwards, he got insurance but, when the cancer came back his insurance company wouldn't cover the treatment. I think, they finally decided to but by then it was too late for him.

I love AIC and David Bowie... And, Ministry... and.... O.K, I love a lot of those!

Actually he had cancer twice. The first time he didn't have insurance and they had a benefit for him to raise money. Afterwards, he got insurance but, when the cancer came back his insurance company wouldn't cover the treatment. I think, they finally decided to but by then it was too late for him.

I hate insurance companies, and it's pretty sad and shameful that people die in this country because they can't get the medical help they need. All because of money.

Adam Bomb Guest
    Insurance companies are just legalized mob bullies. Kinda like, "Hey, you pay us some money every week, and if anything happens then we'll protect you."

endsleigh03 Guest
    ***Varg and some of his statements are just killing me here ***

They also tried to present the killing as so very brutal, and claimed he had died because both his lungs had been punctured. They further claimed I had stabbed him 23 times. First of all I knew very well that he had died when I stabbed him in the head. Secondly he had fallen into a pile of glass fragments in his underwear. Naturally this gave him a lot of cuts - even under one of this heels as he got back up in his feet after falling. They knew this too, but instead claimed I had stabbed him 23 times, just to make people think I was so very cruel, bestial and brutal. In court they showed pictures from the autopsy to a terrified jury. The pictures showed Euronymous naked in a table, with all his hair shaved off and his eyes still open, and all the cuts numbered with a pen in his skin. I know it was humiliating for him to get killed, but when they showed pictures from the autopsy in court that was surely much worse. Killing scumbags is one thing, but I would never humiliate anybody like that.

***Well, hey, it's ok to kill somebody, but ya can't humilate them ***

Adam Bomb Guest
    lol, he's a douchebag. No doubt about it.

endsleigh03 Guest
    lol, he's a douchebag. No doubt about it.
    You know, it really takes the wind out of the sails of the self defense idea when you read that the victim was running away AND in his underwear, Lmao.

Adam Bomb Guest
    You know, there are a couple other notable crimes related to the black metal genre that haven't been mentioned yet.

There were several church burnings in Norway back in the 90's, the most famous of which was allegedly done by Varg Vikernes. Then there was the murder of a gay man by Bard "Faust" Eithun, a former member of the band Emperor. Faust was approached by a gay man in a park, and stabbed him to death with a knife.

Definitely a violent past in this genre.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Varg's personal account of Euronymous's murder:
    http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/a_..._story02.shtml
    I can't believe they gave a murderer free time from prison... WTF. Wow, he blames him for all of it.

I hate insurance companies, and it's pretty sad and shameful that people die in this country because they can't get the medical help they need. All because of money.
    Insurance companies are just legalized mob bullies. Kinda like, "Hey, you pay us some money every week, and if anything happens then we'll protect you."
    Yeah, they pretty much have to be getting something out of it or they wouldn't do it.

Noreen Guest
    Thanks for the info, Adam Bomb. I know that Naziism gets tied up with Northern European Paganism. It seems to get bastardized by incarcerated white males the most. Like your taste in music btw

Adam Bomb Guest
    Thanks, Noreen. I take it that you're into similar music? Very cool.

Regarding the Nazi subject, a lot of the prominent black metal bands dabbled in various things during their early days. Naziism, white supremacy, satanism, paganism, and all kinds of beliefs and philosophies. There are still a lot of racist bands in the genre, many of which are on a record label in Germany called No Colours. Some of these bands make some good music, but the fact that they're racist morons makes it hard to listen to them.

Noreen Guest
    Hey Adam,

I'm probably older than you are and have a very eclectic taste in music. I don't know too much about Death Metal, but I really liking Burzum now that I have found it. Thanks to this thread everyone! But I know what you mean when you like the art but
    not the artist. Yeah, Naziism can go hand in hand with such hard core beliefs.
    Thank you for responding, I am new here.

Nessa: Wow, I really love about 75% of the bands you listed. The Cure (LOVE THEM), Op Ivy, Nirvana, NIN, Minor Threat, the list goes on. You have good taste! And I remember reading the news about them capturing Vikernes after he tried to get away in that Volvo.

Opeth32: Carpathian Forest are definitely....different as far as black metal goes. They do a lot of the "Hail Satan" stuff that you're not fond of. A lot of showmanship, upside down crosses, but it's all done very tongue in cheek. They're definitely anti-religious, but they revel in the absurdity of it all. The music itself is really great, I think. "Strange Old Brew" and "Defending the Throne of Evil" are my two favorite albums. Like most bands, Carpathian Forest started out all "grim, evil, and serious" for the most part, but they grew into their own style. I really enjoy the fact that they like to play around a bit. Their bassist is a very fat man, and they make him play in very little clothing, just to gross people out. Fun stuff.

Its not that Satanism bothers me its just so over the top in BM its almost frightening at times lol. But I do love the it tho. Is a band called Immortal worth looking into? Carpathian Forest sounds really good. I went to you tube and had a listen. Saw a video of Immortal as well there characterising themselves so badly that you could tell it was tongue in cheek I loved it tho

take care

Quote Originally Posted by Opeth32 View Post
    Its not that Satanism bothers me its just so over the top in BM its almost frightening at times lol. But I do love the it tho. Is a band called Immortal worth looking into? Carpathian Forest sounds really good. I went to you tube and had a listen. Saw a video of Immortal as well there characterising themselves so badly that you could tell it was tongue in cheek I loved it tho

take care
    The ones that irk me are the bands that totally do not have a sense of humor at all whatsoever. I can see being totally stone-faced serious onstage, because that's your stage persona. However, how much would life suck with nooo sense of humor?

Even Ed Gein had to have had a sense of humor.

Well...

Adam Bomb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Opeth32 View Post

take care
    I understand where you're coming from on the Satanism issue. Musically, Immortal are totally worth checking out. Look for "Damned In Black" and "Sons of Northern Darkness". Two really great albums. Immortal don't really do the Satanism thing, they're more into songs about their homeland (Norway) and mythical battles, stuff like that. Very awesome music. If you can ignore the tremendously cheesy videos on youtube, they're a great band.

Seagorath Guest

Mayhem â?? REAL Death Metal Band from Norway

If this thread already exists please feel free to merge (or delete)...

I'm sure other bands will be added to this forum, but I personally thought the band MAYHEM (from Norway) would be a good start...Mayhem is actually known as a BLACK METAL band...
    Last edited by Seagorath; 06-26-2008 at 07:57 AM.

Bozarth Guest
    haha

well, they're Black Metal, not Death Metal

I love the whole Norwegian black metal scene. They're ridiculous.

Seagorath Guest
    Thanks!...Death sounded better for the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Bozarth View Post
    haha

well, they're Black Metal, not Death Metal

I love the whole Norwegian black metal scene. They're ridiculous.

onekindsistah Guest

Seagorath Guest
    Thanks...this thread can be deleted then...cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by onekindsistah View Post

moviestar Guest
    Ive heard this story before..sick,why was the knife laying there??

That sounds like Dead... And, *it's Black metal not Death metal.*

Haha... Tell me about it! He's supposed to have eaten some of his brain
    too.
    Barf!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

bloodrocuted Guest

Per Yngve Ohlin

Per Yngve Ohlin (aka "Dead")

January 16, 1969 - April 8, 1991

The story of black metal vocalist Per Yngve Ohlin, known by his stage name "Dead", would prove to become one of the defining legends of Norwegian black metal's absurdly sordid and blood-soaked history. He was best known as being the vocalist (or rather throat-ripping shrieker) of the infamous band Mayhem based in Oslo, who would go on to be pioneers of the raw, haunting and fervently anti-Christian subgenre of Black Metal.

In his brief life, "Dead' was known as an extremely depressed individual, hopelessly fascinated by all things obscenely morbid. He is known by many to be the first to wear "corpse paint" on stage, black and white face makeup used to create the appearance of a corpse, now a defining (and often parodied) theatrical aspect of black metal. He would also go to such lengths as burying his stage clothes underground to give them a "grave" scent, and taking a whiff from a jar containing a dead crow he had found, right before shows, so that he could sing with the "stench of death in his nostrils."

He would cut himself on stage, with hunting knives and broken glasses, ostensibly for the shock value alone. One injury he inflicted on himself during a show was so bad that he had to be hospitalized for blood loss.

In 1990, the band moved into a secluded house in the forest to focus on the music. During this time Dead became critically depressed, barely communicating with the band members and mostly arguing with them when he did. The next year, bandmate Aarseth found him dead in the house from a self-inflicted shotgun blast to the head, as well as numerous knife wounds. A rather considerate suicide note sat next to him which read "Excuse all the blood", as well as an apology firing a weapon in doors. Instead of contacting the police immediately, Aarseth found it necessary to go purchase a disposable camera and take a picture of Ohlin's body.

This photo of Ohlin would go on to become the cover for their bootleg live album "Dawn of the Black Hearts", and it can be viewed here if anyone is so inclined. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lackHearts.jpg

Other more apocryphal reports state that the surviving members of the band used fragments of his skull to make a necklace, and chunks of his brain for a stew. There is as of yet no such legendary jewelery available on eBay or no recipes for stew documented.

Guest Guest
    Interestingly unhinged guy - I recently thought about doing a thread on him (there is actually an old thread already )

bloodrocuted Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    Interestingly unhinged guy - I recently thought about doing a thread on him (there is actually an old thread already )
    I might have written it, LOL.

Guest Guest
    Graphic pic:

Dead
    Last edited by Nessa; 03-09-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Guest Guest

33. 03-09-2009, 09:20 AM

Merged. And I changed all the posts of the Dawn of the Black Hearts cover to text links. We don't like to post graphic pictures like that in the open forum. Some people want to see it, some people don't!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Guest Guest
    Merged. And I changed all the posts of the Dawn of the Black Hearts cover to text links. We don't like to post graphic pictures like that in the open forum. Some people want to see it, some people don't!
    Understood! Thanks Nessa

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    LOL

I've read the story before & I honestly wasn't that interested. Probably b/c I am over the music kills teens message. I know you're saying that but I am weary of that message.

It's a terrible thing, without a doubt. Some people are just stupid.

I will drink to that LOL I think they are already screwed up in listening to that crap..so suicide wouldnt be anything unusual for them to do. Plus I dont think the drugs help lol

stranger_than_strange Guest
    Musicians and guns are obviously not a good mix. I watched a movie not long ago that was sposed to have use Cobain as an inspiration but after reading about Dead it seems to have told the story of his last few days with the band in the country house.
    Wish I could remember the name of the movie.....but oh well doesn't matter cos it was boring and a waste of the $1 rental.

hide your churches!!!

Varg was released from prison

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedkitten View Post
    Varg was released from prison
    They let that lunatic out?!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Lisamarie Guest
    Okay question what dose deads shirt say..I heart something?? And his brain juts slid right out!!!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Okay question what dose deads shirt say..I heart something?? And his brain juts slid right out!!!
    No idea, can't make out the writing

bloodrocuted Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    No idea, can't make out the writing
    It says "I love Transylvania", I believe.

Noreen Guest
    I do think Varg was released, trying to read the burzum website now. He really has calmed down and I don't think we will really hear about him getting into trouble anymore. I think he planned on "vanishing" after prison and just writing and recording an "occasional' record.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodrocuted View Post
    Thanks Bloodrocuted, that word did pop into my head, but I wasn't sure!

no stort tap
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    no stort tap
    Huh?

Lisamarie Guest
    what a death pic !!

Lotusflower Guest
    Yepp... Varg is out, and will now have to report to his probation officer every two weeks. This is Norway for you !! My friend who is a flight attendant, recently had Varg as a passenger on a domestic flight and she says he was very polite and quiet.

Funny that you started a thread about these guys because obviously, living in Norway, we know all about those killings up here. Black Metal is one of Norway's biggest exports, and as weird as it sounds... there aren't that many BM fans here.

They were all pretty messed up around that time. I remember it vividly.. there were churches burning all over the place, tomb stones being vandalised, BM musicians killing each other and themselves, it was crazy. It became this epidemic for a while.

Most of them are pretty different now... the ones still alive that is !! It's all very BIG, and they have all gone a bit "Hollywood". The singer in Dimmu Borgir was supposed to be marrying Christina Fulton, who amongst other things played Nico in the Doors movie, and is the mother of Nicolas Cage's son, Weston Coppola Cage. Last I heard, the wedding was cancelled because of "schedule" problems.

Not very black metal is it .... :-)
    Last edited by Lotusflower; 03-17-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodrocuted View Post
    You got it. And Lisa, I think his brains shot out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotusflower View Post
    Yepp... Varg is out, and will now have to report to his probation officer every two weeks. This is Norway for you !! My friend who is a flight attendant, recently had Varg as a passenger on a domestic flight and she says he was very polite and quiet.

Funny that you started a thread about these guys because obviously, living in Norway, we know all about those killings up here. Black Metal is one of Norway's biggest exports, and as weird as it sounds... there aren't that many BM fans here.

They were all pretty messed up around that time. I remember it vividly.. there were churches burning all over the place, tomb stones being vandalised, BM musicians killing each other and themselves, it was crazy. It became this epidemic for a while.

Most of them are pretty different now... the ones still alive that is !! It's all very BIG, and they have all gone a bit "Hollywood". The singer in Dimmu Borgir was supposed to be marrying Christina Fulton, who amongst other things played Nico in the Doors movie, and is the mother of Nicolas Cage's son, Weston Coppola Cage. Last I heard, the wedding was cancelled because of "schedule" problems.

Not very black metal is it .... :-)
    Cool to have someone from Norway here! I'm guessing the scene is 'dead' there? (No pun intended. )

- R.H. Sin

Lisamarie Guest
    boy he lost his mind....bhahahahahahha!!!

Yup, the shirt says Transylvania. And isn't there a stake in the heart, in the upper right? Haha.