Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie Mercury

I found this quote
    During the mid 80’s, he also began to frequent gay nightspots in London, especially the famous nightclub Heaven. Many of these clubs at the time had a ‘club room’ or ‘dark room’ which was especially reserved for selected clientele. Everett and Freddie Mercury often frequented these rooms, not aware that they were putting themselves in danger from the new mystery killer illness. The reality of his lifestyle did not catch up with him until the late 80s when Nicolai Grishanovich, the Russian soldier in his ménage-a-trois announced that he had contracted HIV. Soon after, Everett was also diagnosed with the killer illness. Mercury was also secretly suffering with HIV. Grishanovich has since gone down in modern folklore as the kissing link between the two, the man who infected them both.

never heard that, interesting Diesel.

Always glad to share info to a fellow freddie fan jason!
    Found another tidbit for you!
    The ref to "that careless twat Nikolai" - Nikolai Grishanovich was one of Kenny Everett's lovers and whose ridiculous promiscuity during the early 80s arguably shared the HIV virus around more liberally than it otherwise might have been - Everett and Freddie Mercury being just two who fell victim to what Barry Cryer later described, sensitively, as Nikolai's "deadly charm" (and who Dave Cash later refered to - somewhat less sensitively - as "That bloody Russian, he infected them all...").

The later quote was what i remembered when Kenny died.
    Last edited by hrhdiesel; 01-09-2008 at 03:01 PM.

Jersey Girl Guest
    ^ Wow, I never knew any of this... thanks so much for posting this info.

no worries - i suppose its more known in the uk then worldwide!

SlippyInvader Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post
    I found this quote
    During the mid 80â??s, he also began to frequent gay nightspots in London, especially the famous nightclub Heaven. Many of these clubs at the time had a â??club roomâ?? or â??dark roomâ?? which was especially reserved for selected clientele. Everett and Freddie Mercury often frequented these rooms, not aware that they were putting themselves in danger from the new mystery killer illness. The reality of his lifestyle did not catch up with him until the late 80s when Nicolai Grishanovich, the Russian soldier in his ménage-a-trois announced that he had contracted HIV. Soon after, Everett was also diagnosed with the killer illness. Mercury was also secretly suffering with HIV. Grishanovich has since gone down in modern folklore as the kissing link between the two, the man who infected them both.
    I knew about then frequenting the Heaven nightclub as I read it on Kenny Everetts website and Freddie's name was mentioned a few times. I never knew or heard of the Russian soldier though so very interesting thanks.

MbalmR Guest
    This is a great thread; thanks to everyone who has contributed. While I understand that it might be a turn off for some, given some of the "invasive" descriptions of Freddie's unfortunate scatological difficulties in his final days, one of the most touching things things I've ever read in Scott's directory was the story contributed by Anita about Freddie. It had quite an impact on me.

Always glad to share info to a fellow freddie fan jason!
    Found another tidbit for you!
    The ref to "that careless twat Nikolai" - Nikolai Grishanovich was one of Kenny Everett's lovers and whose ridiculous promiscuity during the early 80s arguably shared the HIV virus around more liberally than it otherwise might have been - Everett and Freddie Mercury being just two who fell victim to what Barry Cryer later described, sensitively, as Nikolai's "deadly charm" (and who Dave Cash later refered to - somewhat less sensitively - as "That bloody Russian, he infected them all...").

The later quote was what i remembered when Kenny died.
    Did "the russian" know of his HIV status prior to engaging in these acts?

Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    This is a great thread; thanks to everyone who has contributed. While I understand that it might be a turn off for some, given some of the "invasive" descriptions of Freddie's unfortunate scatological difficulties in his final days, one of the most touching things things I've ever read in Scott's directory was the story contributed by Anita about Freddie. It had quite an impact on me.
    Thanks Mbalm, this thread actually hit a HUGE dry spell about a month or two ago... glad to see it's picking up some momentum.

MbalmR Guest
    Dumb question alert: has a movie about FM already been made? If so/if not, has anyone else noticed that Wade Dominguez from "Dangerous Minds" (he played the role of Emilio) bore a striking resemblance to FM?? I think he would have portrayed FM with aplomb; unfortunately, he's no longer with us either. He died in 1998 of respiratory failure at the age of 32.

I know, I know........pointless to even bring it up, but while reading this thread, I kept thinking of him and how wonderful he might have been in the life story of FM.

I actually posted a lot on this topic in the prior pages. From what I gather the movie is still in the works and "Johnny Depp" was a name being thrown around to play FM. Borat (Sacha Cohen, or whatever his name is) was rumored to be playing FM but denied this and said it ain't happening.

I don't care who it is, I just hope they do it right and make a great movie.

MbalmR Guest
    I do remember seeing something about Mr. Dope playing the lead role in a biographical movie about Freddie, now that you mention it. He'd carry the role nicely too, I suspect. He has a lot of range, in my opinion. Thanks Jason!

PS--I love JD, but I call him Johnny Dope out of sheer love and admiration for his talent and for the fact that no human being on this planet has the right to look so friggin' GOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    Did "the russian" know of his HIV status prior to engaging in these acts?
    no I dont think so...it was him that imformed them that he had the disease later on. I just think that they never considered condoms at the time as aids was still a relatively new disease.

Yeah, so I guess we can't single him out when pointing the finger... at least he told them. Mercury and Everett were just as much to blame for their actions.

Most definately but he does sound like a tart for sleeping with both of them!

I've heard lots of stories about Freddie that makes one wonder how he didn't contract the disease sooner. He was the Queen of excess in everything he touched... including his music (thankfully).

Yeah i've heard the same stories! The parties in those days were wild...any thing goes within that circle.
    here some quotes that kinda go along with what you said
    "I'll go to bed with anything," [Freddy Mercury] once admitted. "And my bed is so huge it can comfortably sleep six. I prefer my sex without any involvement. There are times when I just lived for sex." And during one interview he told me, "I am a very sexual person. I [have sexual intercourse] all the time, though I am much more choosy now than I used to be."

According to his friends, Mercury went to bed with hundreds of men. Many who knew him said he had a great fear of spending time along--especially at night... Mercury often said that his promiscuity was an attempt to cure the loneliness he felt, or to heal over the scars left by a number of his relationships. While there may have been a grain of truth to this, he felt he had to defend what to many might seem unpalatable--his liking for straightforward sex without any kind of emotional involvement. Mercury enjoyed sex for sex's sake and there was no real need for him to explain it away. But he also liked the comford and security that a steady relationship brings and tried to juggle these conflicting needs. "I want to have my cake and eat it, too," he admitted. "I want my security but I also want my freedom."
    "I love to surround myself with strange and interesting people because they make me feel more alive. Extremely straight people bore me stiff. I love freaky people around me.

sounds like a typical guy.

Jersey Girl Guest
    From time to time I always wonder how MORE people who were rockstars/celebs and such didn't get MORE, or in alot cases didn't get ANYTHING.
    I'm reading The Heroin Diaries right now (where's tensecondstolove?) and I am amazed that Nikki Sixx is still alive for starters, yeah, but also.. how on earth did he not contract any deadly sexual diseases!!!

well... hate to be THAT GUY but back then (even now) the rate of Gay men getting Aids vs. Hetero men were ASTOUNDING. So Freddie was already a statistic before being careless... his lifestyle just added to the equation. The risk for two straight people of getting aids through sex is very low but it is still a risk nonetheless (Magic Johnson, Eazy-E, etc...)
    Last edited by Jason; 01-10-2008 at 11:38 AM.

SlippyInvader Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    I would be interested to read that, do you have a link please?

It's under Freddy Mercury's listing in the Directory on FAD. I was going to copy and paste it for you (as I'm unable to link it), but it's over 40,000 characters long and the forum software only allows for posts up to 10,000. Wander on over and have a look.

SlippyInvader Guest
    Yeah i've heard the same stories! The parties in those days were wild...any thing goes within that circle.
    here some quotes that kinda go along with what you said
    "I'll go to bed with anything," [Freddy Mercury] once admitted. "And my bed is so huge it can comfortably sleep six. I prefer my sex without any involvement. There are times when I just lived for sex." And during one interview he told me, "I am a very sexual person. I [have sexual intercourse] all the time, though I am much more choosy now than I used to be."

According to his friends, Mercury went to bed with hundreds of men. Many who knew him said he had a great fear of spending time along--especially at night... Mercury often said that his promiscuity was an attempt to cure the loneliness he felt, or to heal over the scars left by a number of his relationships. While there may have been a grain of truth to this, he felt he had to defend what to many might seem unpalatable--his liking for straightforward sex without any kind of emotional involvement. Mercury enjoyed sex for sex's sake and there was no real need for him to explain it away. But he also liked the comford and security that a steady relationship brings and tried to juggle these conflicting needs. "I want to have my cake and eat it, too," he admitted. "I want my security but I also want my freedom."
    "I love to surround myself with strange and interesting people because they make me feel more alive. Extremely straight people bore me stiff. I love freaky people around me.

I wonder if Aids came about a decade earlier then Freddie might have been more careful and been alive now? Looking back I think I became aware of Aids back in about 1984 when Rock Hudson died. I wonder how, where and when it originated from? I've heard rumours that a man had sex with a monkey in Africa but I find that hard to believe.

SlippyInvader Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    It's under Freddy Mercury's listing in the Directory on FAD. I was going to copy and paste it for you (as I'm unable to link it), but it's over 40,000 characters long and the forum software only allows for posts up to 10,000. Wander on over and have a look.
    Thanks I'll have a look

Yeah Slippy, had Freddie gotten the disease in 1991 he most likely would be alive today. Rock Hudson actually could have been alive as well... I've heard that he was near HIV free but thought he could stop taking his medicine and the HIV came back strong and wiped him out fast. I think Freddie would have had more knowledge of the disease and wouldn't have felt so ashamed since by 1991/1992 Magic Johnson went public with it.

I honestly dont think Freddie would have been as careful. He was the type to go with the flow & take chances. Who knows? He may have settled down with Jim (i think thats his name) & be only committed to him. Freddie was a daredevil in everything he did -i still think he would have taken the chance of unprotected sex in the rush of the moment.

yeah I'm with you on that... but I think he would have done the right thing with his treatments and like Magic Johnson would have just lived with the HIV.

Found this classic freddie quote!
    Is Billy Idol just doing a bad Elvis pout, or was he born that way?

Ok....if Freddie hadnt gotten that awful disease & was still alive....what do you think he would be doing now? Still in queen? still performing? Or producing shows or classical music??

Queen would have made the biggest come back in history and they would be on top of the world right now.

lisalouver Guest
    Queen would have made the biggest come back in history and they would be on top of the world right now.
    Would'nt that be something?

What could have been!

ok what style of music as freddie did like to experiment...

They would be giving the public what they want... the classic Queen hits and most likely would have kept pumping out studio records until (as Freddie once stated) "people stop buying our records", which would be never as long as they kept putting out the quality they were known for.

What specific style? who knows... I bet nobody could have predicted their funk experimentation in 1982. Maybe they would have went back to their roots for a few albums as Innuendo was going more in that direction.

I don't think Freddie would be doing rap but i can imagine him doing more cameos on songs... I think he would have still been involved in the arts,,,ie opera & ballet but i could see him doing art, costumes for shows as well as theatre. You never know he might have done more soundtracks as he did some good ones (flash, highlander!)

Do you think he would be more camper now??? Would he be more open with his sexuality?

I think he would have calmed down a bit (like Elton John) with the flamboyancy. I mean he never denied being gay so he probably would have just kept living his life as he wanted and let people think what they want. I think Highlander was a much better soundtrack as Flash had only 2 real songs and a bunch of "odd" instrumental songs in between.

I agree all around, they would have gotten involved in anything that's popular. Wayne's World opened up a whole new generation of Queen fans... only problem was Freddie wasn't around to enjoy it but had he been around (being the business men they were) an American tour would have been set in place and Queen would have prevailed once more.

I think Freddie would have appeared in Waynes world 2 instead of Aerosmith! We're not worthy!!!
    Ok duets...who with then? I bet he would have appeared on Eltons album duets... anyone else?

He most likely would have joined in on the remake of Band Aids "Do They Know It's Christmas" as he was upset he wasn't on the original. They probably would have done Super Bowl half time shows and teamed up with whomever was on top at the current time. Wyclef Jean raped and abused Mercury's vocals for a Rap song using "Another One Bites The Dust" for the movie "Small Soldiers", I would like to think that project wouldn't have happened had Mercury been alive because it SUCKED.

To name specific artist Mercury would have teamed up with... maybe Robbie Williams, George Michael, Bono, MIKA, Alicia Keys, Aretha Franklin and the list could go on and on.

who do you think?
    Last edited by Jason; 01-14-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Wyclef Jean raped and abused Mercury's vocals for a Rap song using "Another One Bites The Dust" for the movie "Small Soldiers", I would like to think that project wouldn't have happened had Mercury been alive because it SUCKED.
    Understatement of the year...i think that was one of the main reasons why i dont like Brian or Roger that much!

Teamed up with....Pavarotti (as he did a duets album), Definately Bono, Elton, I think he would be game to duet with Robbie as robbie idolises Freddie - it would have been a fun duet!, Cher or Celine Dion when they are performing in vegas... Maybe Kane west as i can imagine him liking Gold digger.

I could easily see Freddie doing more opera projects with Montserrat Caballe or Pavarotti, writing new material with duets, etc. in the style of "Barcelona." If a revival of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" would have been onstage, Freddie would have been the perfect (damn, I've forgotten the name of the character in the suspender belt and stockings) or he would have won a Tony for being the emcee in "Cabaret."

Yeah Rocky horror would be great with Freddie! You got a hint of how he would look in suspenders in i want to break free!

ok people.. favourite track.
    maybe we could put it into 3 catergories
    Early queen
    mid 80's queen
    late queen

Early Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody
    Mid 80's Queen: I Want It All
    late Queen: Innuendo

Early - im going to be different...killer queen or dont stop me now!
    mid - i want it all...yeah i like the rock ballards!
    late - show must go on...gets me everytime mind you i do like a winters tale...its something so happy about his voice in that song...he really sounds content..know what i mean?

I was thinking Winters Tale, Days of our lives, Show must go on... but Innuendo has something to it that I love, like a sense of struggle and prevail (which is the theme of that album anyway) plus I love how it sounds so raw and retro.

magblax Guest
    Freddy was one of the most brilliant musicians of all time! I have scrolled but haven't read through this entire thread. He was a poet, rocker, artist, showman, maestro and a genius. Totally versatile with an intuitive vision and ability to communicate art through music. I am so glad that he was able to come to terms with his death and fade out without the spotlight of the media making a spectacle of him and his choice of lifestyle.

My Personal Favorite - The Show Must Go On

Least Favorite - Radio GaGa

Radio gaga was best live as the audience was able to take part in the song.
    Innuendo is beautiful in the way it changes themes so easily...(it reminds me of bohemian rhapsody in the sense that it also changes styles within the tune.)

magblax Guest
    Radio gaga was best live as the audience was able to take part in the song.
    Innuendo is beautiful in the way it changes themes so easily...(it reminds me of bohemian rhapsody in the sense that it also changes styles within the tune.)

That makes sense! Over the radio it was awful.

Innuendo was actually a tribute to Led Zeppelin which brought the band full circle because a lot of their earlier stuff was directly influenced by Zeppelin.

Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    That makes sense! Over the radio it was awful.
    Ha... I enjoy that tune, but I can see others thinking it's not one of their best. Roger (the drummer) was actually inspired by his baby who while listening to the radio said "radio ga ga".
    Last edited by Jason; 01-16-2008 at 10:59 AM.

I didnt know that..i honestly thought they wanted another tune which was like bohemian rhapsody in changing styles. Is that your favourite tune or is it bohemian??

magblax Guest
    Innuendo was actually a tribute to Led Zeppelin which brought the band full circle because a lot of their earlier stuff was directly influenced by Zeppelin.

Ha... I enjoy that tune, but I can see others thinking it's not one of their best. Roger (the drummer) was actually inspired by his baby who while listening to the radio said "radio ga ga".
    Speaking of babies.... Here's little Freddy. Awwwwww

Bohemian wins hands down (since it's what got me into Queen in the first place) but Innuendo always had something mystical about it and when you throw in the whole situation Freddie was going through it just adds more to it for me.

They actually tried to recapture Bohemians magic in 1976 with "The Millionaire Waltz" but it was a failure. I don't think Innuendo was them trying to spin off of Rhapsody, I just think as they were trying to do a "Zeppelin" type tune this is what they envisioned.

<also, Robert Plant sang "Innuendo" at the Freddie Tribute Concert (because it was a tribute to Zeppelin) but it didn't make the final cut of the DVD because Plant wasn't happy with his performance. He was well aware that only Freddie could sing those songs well and I guess he didn't want to be seen as not coming close (which is dumb because I would have liked to have that version on DVD)>
    Last edited by Jason; 01-16-2008 at 11:05 AM.

I think i still have the original concert on video as i taped the live show!

I thought the story came along when Rogers baby said radio poo poo! I distinctly remember him saying that in a interview!