Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Owen Hart

In that one clip, the announcers were actually saying he had died, and those fools were acting crazy...

RebelRocker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    From what I've read, at that point in his life, Owen Hart hated wrestling and wanted to quit. He tried a number of times to get out. He was turned down for multiple jobs (including at customs at the us/canada border) and had to keep wrestling to pay off the house he was building. Once it was paid off, he would be done with wrestling. He hadn't watched his matches for years and hated talking about wrestling at home or when he was at the Hart house. I recommend you read his wifes book. Great read.

I'm a bit confused. I don't understand how the fact that he didn't retire somehow support him wanting the show to go on. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong.

IIRC, on Off The Record, Bret said it was disgusting that they didn't stop the show and suggested that if it was Shane or Stephanie that splattered all over the ring, Vince would have stopped the show.

ill admit, i stand corrected. what is the name of the book owen hart's wife wrote?

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRocker View Post
    ill admit, i stand corrected. what is the name of the book owen hart's wife wrote?
    Martha's book is called Broken Harts: The Life and Death of Owen Hart.

Hey, in answering RebelRocker's question, I looked up Martha's Wikipedia page, and it says she completed her PhD last year. How cool is that? I'm glad Dr. Hart is making an effort to move forward with her life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Hart

RebelRocker Guest
    im going to get that book and read it. watching that footage brought it all back. i miss those good old days of the wwf wrestling. in 1999 i was a senior in high school, so i wasnt really paying that much attention to wrestling. i wasnt keeping up with the story line. i do remember bret hart wrestling after his brothers death.

WestAussie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Yes. They should be the same ones. There are only a few that have been circulated.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jenivere2011 View Post
    In that one clip, the announcers were actually saying he had died, and those fools were acting crazy...
    The thing is the crowd can't hear the announcers. I am pretty sure they didn't make a ring announcement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

WWE & Widow of Owen Hart, Martha Hart, Settle Lawsuit Over Royalties & Use of Owenâ??s Image
    http://wrestlechat.net/wwe-widow-of-owen-hart-martha-hart-settle-lawsuit-over-royalties-use-of-owens-image/

Seagorath Guest
    Owen Hart...one more time, ladies and gentlemen. R.I.P...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0KyfboZRL0

Seagorath Guest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	owen_accident.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	47412

He already looks dead in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedkitten View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	owen_accident.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	47412

He already looks dead in that one.
    He was. They didn't admit it, but he was never resuscitated. After he tried to "get up" he died pretty much right there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Immediately after fall.

Good video explaining the fall.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sgA-...layer_embedded
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here is the entire Over the Edge PPV, for anybody who might be interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRTtiKTWsYU

On the off chance that any of you don't want to sit through a two and a half hour wrestling PPV, here are the parts relating to Owen:

If you go to about the 39:30 mark, it shows a prerecorded interview with Owen (in character as the Blue Blazer). It is during the playing of this video that Owen actually fell into the ring (off camera). Around 40:30, it cuts back to live audio of Jim Ross talking with a still photo of Owen and the Godfather onscreen. In what must have been a very confusing moment for the viewers at home, JR almost immediately - his voice clearly reflecting the shock he must have been feeling - introduced ANOTHER video of Owen being interviewed, presumably to give them a moment to figure out what (if anything) to say about what was happening in the ring. JR's last words before the second interview segment starts (this is around 40:40) are "and we got big problems out here". (!!!) The 2nd interview ends around 41:20, and it cuts back to Jim Ross, who explains to the viewers what has happened, stressing multiple times that the tragedy in the ring wasn't "a wrestling angle", i.e., it wasn't part of the show. Under the circumstances, he is pretty damned eloquent, IMO. At around the 47:30 mark, Jerry Lawler, who had been in the ring with Owen, rejoins JR at the announce table, remarking that "it doesn't look good at all". Shortly after this, Owen gets a round of applause as he is removed from the ring (again, off-camera). The show continues. If you skip ahead to around 1:39:30, JR announces that Owen has passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    Here is the entire Over the Edge PPV, for anybody who might be interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRTtiKTWsYU

On the off chance that any of you don't want to sit through a two and a half hour wrestling PPV, here are the parts relating to Owen:

If you go to about the 39:30 mark, it shows a prerecorded interview with Owen (in character as the Blue Blazer). It is during the playing of this video that Owen actually fell into the ring (off camera). Around 40:30, it cuts back to live audio of Jim Ross talking with a still photo of Owen and the Godfather onscreen. In what must have been a very confusing moment for the viewers at home, JR almost immediately - his voice clearly reflecting the shock he must have been feeling - introduced ANOTHER video of Owen being interviewed, presumably to give them a moment to figure out what (if anything) to say about what was happening in the ring. JR's last words before the second interview segment starts (this is around 40:40) are "and we got big problems out here". (!!!) The 2nd interview ends around 41:20, and it cuts back to Jim Ross, who explains to the viewers what has happened, stressing multiple times that the tragedy in the ring wasn't "a wrestling angle", i.e., it wasn't part of the show. Under the circumstances, he is pretty damned eloquent, IMO. At around the 47:30 mark, Jerry Lawler, who had been in the ring with Owen, rejoins JR at the announce table, remarking that "it doesn't look good at all". Shortly after this, Owen gets a round of applause as he is removed from the ring (again, off-camera). The show continues. If you skip ahead to around 1:39:30, JR announces that Owen has passed away.
    JR is a true gem. One of the best commentators of any sport by far. Truly a classy wonderful man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

JR is a true gem. One of the best commentators of any sport by far. Truly a classy wonderful man.

I agree. He was put in a terrible position when this tragedy happened, but he was the right man for a very difficult job.

I had the honor to meet him and Owen at an autograph signing in the 90's. They were both totally down to earth sweet guys who loved their fans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rydell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenivere2011 View Post
    I find it particularly sad that the fans are still acting like fools and holding up stupid signs, even as JR makes the announcement of Owen's death.
    Oh well, nothing is sacred.

Sgt. Pepper Guest
    I have heard about an audio recording of the fall from the Spanish TV version of the Pay-Per-View special, but it seems to have disappeared from the internet. Does anyone by chance have this file available? I'm very curious as to what it may contain.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    I have heard about an audio recording of the fall from the Spanish TV version of the Pay-Per-View special, but it seems to have disappeared from the internet. Does anyone by chance have this file available? I'm very curious as to what it may contain.

Thanks in advance!

I have been searching for it for years with no luck. It is one of my grails.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sgt. Pepper Guest
    I have been searching for it for years with no luck. It is one of my grails.
    Unlike the Christine Chubbuck video, this particular piece of media was 100% for sure on the internet. The YouTube videos that contained the audio have all been pulled. It was on the internet as recently as 2009. I guess I just got to the party too late!

theshow84 Guest
    all of the spanish announcer vids seem to have been removed, does anyone know of anywhere that has it? i remember watching it several years ago and you could vaguely hear owen scream and hit the mat

Bidmor Guest
    A man owns a local donut shop and in his younger days he wrestled for a couple of years back in the 1990's. He was trained by Stu Hart in the Dungeon, which was the basement of the Hart home. My friend knew most of the Hart boys and remembers them fondly, stating they were all great people to be around and fun and that Stu was an excellent trainer. But after a year or so touring for Stampede, he decided there was no future in the biz.

As to Owen's death, my friend chalks it up to hazards of the biz and taking stunt levels to the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by theshow84 View Post
    all of the spanish announcer vids seem to have been removed, does anyone know of anywhere that has it? i remember watching it several years ago and you could vaguely hear owen scream and hit the mat
    I have been searching for years for that video with no luck. My understanding is that it was floating around for awhile, but WWE pretty much hunted down that clip to extinction. Coupled with the non release of the program means it may be lost.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sgt. Pepper Guest
    I just stumbled across this video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1q...ite-feed_sport

Relevant part starts around the :55 second mark. Apparently it is an alternate feed that may have captured the audio of the fall.

What does everyone think? It sure sounds convincing....

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    I just stumbled across this video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1q...ite-feed_sport

Relevant part starts around the :55 second mark. Apparently it is an alternate feed that may have captured the audio of the fall.

What does everyone think? It sure sounds convincing....
    Well... maybe. Lawler's "Oh My God!" sounded pretty "in-character" to me. Does he really screech like that when he's shocked in real life?

But I don't know, I guess it could be the real deal...

I've heard that WWE plans to air the footage streaming online when they launch their network sometime in the near future. Which just goes to show, IMO, that if there's money to be made then it's not taboo.
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    Well... maybe. Lawler's "Oh My God!" sounded pretty "in-character" to me. Does he really screech like that when he's shocked in real life?

But I don't know, I guess it could be the real deal...
    I've tried to isolate sound from this video before. IMHO right around 55-57 you hear a "thud" I think that is Owen falling I think Lawler's "Oh my God" was added in by this guy. The original version I once found from the PPV didn't have that I think...

Edit: Found an original broadcast. I don't hear JL or JR. Just the thud. https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...spart=att&tt=b
    Last edited by Miho; 04-30-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sgt. Pepper Guest
    I've tried to isolate sound from this video before. IMHO right around 55-57 you hear a "thud" I think that is Owen falling I think Lawler's "Oh my God" was added in by this guy. The original version I once found from the PPV didn't have that I think...

Edit: Found an original broadcast. I don't hear JL or JR. Just the thud. https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...spart=att&tt=b
    Well, here is what the uploader wrote:
    I used what was called back then (and is now obsolete) a "C-Band". It used a Microwave Receiver to redirect satellite transmissions into various receivers of people across the country. Depending on the area (I was lucky enough to live in New York City at the time), you could catch up to 350+ satellite feeds, each on its own unique channel (noted in Megahertz or Mhz), at any given point in the contiguous United States. The receivers costed many thousands of dollars to own, so not many people owned them.

It was at 7:53pm Eastern Time when I started recording on May 23, 1999. I caught 7 minutes of this "This concludes prefeed: Standby for show" before the show started at 8pm. What YOU'RE seeing is a short portion of that screen, and then cutting to the moments leading up to the tragedy.

The rest is self-explanatory. The sound of the turnbuckle being impacted upon, followed by Jim Ross' and Jerry Lawler's disbelief. Shortly thereafter, the satellite company that ran the raw feed through to the Atlantic coast's cable companies (Located in New York) frantically began jamming the video signal and cautiously lowering the audio. Technicians on scene likely had no idea what was happening, as they were seeing exactly what the video depicted.

They eventually cut the signal and sent up colored bars with the telephone number to their satellite company, probably as a "Hey, we're not too sure what's happening, Mr. McMahon, so we're cutting your feed as a precaution. Please give us a call and we'll sort it out" thing. Service was restored after the Jeff Jarrett match.
    I am admittedly clueless to what that exactly means and I am also not a wrestling fan so I do not know what would seem real and otherwise. Could very well be some internet prank but it could also be a real recording that just took a long time to make it onto the internet. Whatever it is, I figured it was worth sharing, as it piqued my interest greatly.

In regards to Lawler screaming, I know that my big brother is the manliest guy you could ever meet, but screams like a little girl when he sees a creepy crawler. Embarassing and overdramatic, yes, but very possible as well.

I wonder how they will play this out when they air it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

May 23rd RIP. Legend.

It's an absolute shame.

Last edited by beep; 05-24-2014 at 01:01 AM.
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonams View Post
    I've heard that WWE plans to air the footage streaming online when they launch their network sometime in the near future. Which just goes to show, IMO, that if there's money to be made then it's not taboo.
    Diva Natalya is Owen Hart's niece. I really don't think they would do that to her.

Quote Originally Posted by pamlovesrobert View Post
    Diva Natalya is Owen Hart's niece. I really don't think they would do that to her.
    I don't think they will ever air whatever footage they have. Doing so could only hurt them, from a PR standpoint. And if I'm wrong about that, why have they waited 15 years?

Happy Birthday, Owen!

"Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

I missed the 20th anniversary of his death. May 23/1999. RIP