Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Cash

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDay View Post
    June didin't get him off drugs - if anything she gave him the reason to take them - he took drugs to cope with the guilt of infidelity and the stresses of life on the road.

The film was not exact - he didn't stop taking drugs after their marriage, his drug taking continued for a while. And June even started taking drugs and got addicted according to their son.
    I'm reading a book by their son about June,haven't got that far yet.

Well, I guess they were just human, like everyone else.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

True, Cindy..they were only human.

I haven't read Vivian's book, but I'm glad she got to write it before she died. Hope it gave her some closure.

Of course the movie glossed over everything and wanted to portray Johnny and June as the great soulmates--and maybe they were--but the fact remains he was a married man with four children, and even if they were meant to be together, there were a lot of people hurt in the process.

Funny how the Cash girls (raised by Vivian) seemed to fare much better than June's daughters by her two previous marriages. Her younger daughter, Rosey Nix, died in 2003 of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning but supposedly surrounded by drug paraphernalia. Her older daughter, Carlene Carter (don't get me wrong, I love her music) has been married 4 or 5 times, has two kids she didn't raise, (her former husband Nick Lowe adopted her daughter and got custody when he and Carlene divorced.) A few years back, Carlene was arrested on theft and heroin charges with Howie Epstein (former bass player for Tom Petty, who later died of a heroin OD.) Can you say *ahem* trashy?

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by betsy View Post
    True, Cindy..they were only human.

I haven't read Vivian's book, but I'm glad she got to write it before she died. Hope it gave her some closure.

Of course the movie glossed over everything and wanted to portray Johnny and June as the great soulmates--and maybe they were--but the fact remains he was a married man with four children, and even if they were meant to be together, there were a lot of people hurt in the process.

Funny how the Cash girls (raised by Vivian) seemed to fare much better than June's daughters by her two previous marriages. Her younger daughter, Rosey Nix, died in 2003 of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning but supposedly surrounded by drug paraphernalia. Her older daughter, Carlene Carter (don't get me wrong, I love her music) has been married 4 or 5 times, has two kids she didn't raise, (her former husband Nick Lowe adopted her daughter and got custody when he and Carlene divorced.) A few years back, Carlene was arrested on theft and heroin charges with Howie Epstein (former bass player for Tom Petty, who later died of a heroin OD.) Can you say *ahem* trashy?
    OMG.I didn't know any of that about June's daughters. I don't know why I though Johnny's daughter Roseanne was such a druggie and all. Wasn't one of his daughters married to Marty Stuart? Don't know why I thought that either. Anyhow the book I'm reading by JC son is called June Carter Anchored in Love or somthing like that,its been annoying me so far.

^^Yeah, you're right, Rosanne did have some cocaine issues way back when. She was married to Rodney Crowell for many years.

Cindy Cash was married to Marty Stuart.

I have always liked the Johnny Cash version
    of the Nine Inch Nails song: Hurt.

**Jenna** Guest
    ^^Yeah, you're right, Rosanne did have some cocaine issues way back when. She was married to Rodney Crowell for many years.

Okay,thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    I have always liked the Johnny Cash version
    of the Nine Inch Nails song: Hurt.
    OMG, Johnny made that song HIS OWN! Even Trent Reznor admitted it. The video for that (the Cash version) is soooo moving.

radiojane Guest
    Has any one seen that god awful episode of Columbo with Cash in it? The one where Ida Lupino or one of those old hollywood is the bible thumping wife he offs? It's sooo bad that it's sooo good!

I heard an interview that NPR did with him, which they rebroadcast shortly after he died, and I love this exchange:

Interviewer: Why do you call yourself a song stylist rather than a singer?

JC: Because I cain't sing.

LadyDay Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Well, I guess they were just human, like everyone else.
    Yes they were human and I do accept that. I'm just so sick of films that have to mislead the audience over what really happened.

I like directors who take a risk and show the truth of a story and the flaws of the character - that director is doubly clever if he does that and the audience still like the character.

Vivien's daughters were upset at the way she was portrayed in the film and they have every right to be.

Vintage Video: Cash Imitates Elvis

Just found this on CNN, hilarious video of Johnny imitating Elvis onstage in 1959. He and Elvis were friends, so it was good natured kidding.

Amazing how much he looks like Elvis, himself when he combs his hair in front.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/sho....elvis.sonyBMG

Lisamarie Guest
    love johnny man he was the best!!!! Hurt is just breathtaking!!! The video gets me each time....that song plays right to your heart strings!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    Just found this on CNN, hilarious video of Johnny imitating Elvis onstage in 1959. He and Elvis were friends, so it was good natured kidding.

LMAO! Johnny had it going, baby!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by LSF View Post
    Wasn't one of his daughters married to Marty Stuart?

Correct. As a sidenote: the band I'm in opened for Marty this past July 17th, 2008 - it was an awesome show!!

*we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress*

To get this back on topic....does anyone have any pics of either June or Johnny lying in state??
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Paige B Guest

Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    love johnny man he was the best!!!! Hurt is just breathtaking!!! The video gets me each time....that song plays right to your heart strings!!!

Lisamarie, I couldn't agree with you more. I think Johnny Cash's video to (Nine Inch Nails) "Hurt" is incredibly powerful. I can't watch it without getting that big knot in my throat and a wee bit misty in the eyes...

I love Johnny Cash, I grew up with a father that played his music over and over on the record player. I even sang "Ring of Fire" in the 4th grade talent show. I lost out to the popular girls singing Peter, Paul and Mary's "Leaving on a Jet Plane"!! LOL...oh well....

Morto Guest
    June was Johnny's rock and when that is taken from you ,you are left without the strength to carry on.What was the name of the video where he walked through his life with the big feast on the table?

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    Has any one seen that god awful episode of Columbo with Cash in it? The one where Ida Lupino or one of those old hollywood is the bible thumping wife he offs? It's sooo bad that it's sooo good!
    I love Columbo!!! I need to find that episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post

LOL My son & I loved that.

tngirl1967 Guest
    OMG.I didn't know any of that about June's daughters. I don't know why I though Johnny's daughter Roseanne was such a druggie and all. Wasn't one of his daughters married to Marty Stuart? Don't know why I thought that either. Anyhow the book I'm reading by JC son is called June Carter Anchored in Love or somthing like that,its been annoying me so far.
    I read that book not long ago and it made me very sick. I came away with the distinct impression that the only kid they favored was John Carter Cash once he came along because he was both of theirs. And he really ended up with nearly everything after they both had passed away. It really got under my skin. I have read here and there that he ran the show on what got in/stayed out of the movie "Walk the Line" and that it really bothered some of the Cash girls.
    I also agree with the fact that Vivian's daughters definitely had the advantage in their upbringing.
    I just came away from that book with a very bad impression of their son's bragging and boasting.

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tngirl1967 View Post
    I read that book not long ago and it made me very sick. I came away with the distinct impression that the only kid they favored was John Carter Cash once he came along because he was both of theirs. And he really ended up with nearly everything after they both had passed away. It really got under my skin. I have read here and there that he ran the show on what got in/stayed out of the movie "Walk the Line" and that it really bothered some of the Cash girls.
    I got that impresson too! Think thats why its so hard for me to read that frickin book. And its really making me not care much for John and June either.
    It doesn't surprise me that their son got the most and with the Walk the Line movie,Johnny's daughters should have had more say to what went on with that movie,and June's daughters as well I guess.

^^Yep. Not only both of theirs, but also, he was the only son. IMO, the six girls pretty much got the shaft.

**Jenna** Guest
    ^^Yep. Not only both of theirs, but also, he was the only son. IMO, the six girls pretty much got the shaft.
    Thats how I feel too. I wonder what Johnny's daughters really thought of June. I've never heard.

tngirl1967 Guest
    You know, I'm not sure what they thought of June, but in everything I've read they have been quoted they were respectful. It really speaks for how their mother raised them, that's for sure.

LadyDay Guest
    Thats how I feel too. I wonder what Johnny's daughters really thought of June. I've never heard.
    Everything I've read they appear to genuinely love her. I think she was a great step mum in many ways but she had her bitchy side. Like when they were out shopping and one of the girls admired a pair of shoes and asked June to buy them for her. And June replied: "Tell your mum to buy them for you."

I think that's where Vivien was so strong because she didn't appear to stoop low enough to bitch about June to the kids.

Rosanne Cash on Her Mother:

She was quite a woman: full of life, with an easy laugh and a deep love for the people around her, particularly her grandchildren. Her doctor told me after her death that there were some patients you just remember all your life, and he said that my mom would be one for him. He said he would never forget her and the intense, territorial love of her family. I don't think he had ever seen so many close relatives—husband, daughters, sister, grandchildren, sons-in-laws, plus a few dear friends and the parish priest—crowd into one woman's room day after day, following every tiny aspect of her care, and finally letting her go with so much overwhelming sadness that the nurses in the unit also broke down in tears.

Some people don't achieve fame and glory but they leave their impact on the world in other ways - and Vivien certainly seemed to leave a wonderful legacy of love. As well as raising her children properly.

**Jenna** Guest
    Everything I've read they appear to genuinely love her. I think she was a great step mum in many ways but she had her bitchy side. Like when they were out shopping and one of the girls admired a pair of shoes and asked June to buy them for her. And June replied: "Tell your mum to buy them for you."
    Man,what a b!tch. Like she couldn't afford to buy them.

**Jenna** Guest
    You know, I'm not sure what they thought of June, but in everything I've read they have been quoted they were respectful. It really speaks for how their mother raised them, that's for sure.
    It would be hard not to want to put June down in front of the girls any chance you got. I don't think I would be that nice. I'd always be slammin the other women.

LadyDay Guest
    Man,what a b!tch. Like she couldn't afford to buy them.
    Yes let's not forget, Johnny was the big earner out of him and June and June was famous for her love of shopping with his money - I'm sure he looked after Vivien financially after the divorce. But June getting her mitts on his cash and resenting a pair of children's shoes makes me want to heave.

LadyDay Guest
    It would be hard not to want to put June down in front of the girls any chance you got. I don't think I would be that nice. I'd always be slammin the other women.
    I'd be exactly the same. Guess I'll never be a true lady ... sigh

**Jenna** Guest
    Yes let's not forget, Johnny was the big earner out of him and June and June was famous for her love of shopping with his money - I'm sure he looked after Vivien financially after the divorce. But June getting her mitts on his cash and resenting a pair of children's shoes makes me want to heave.
    Yeah me to.

tngirl1967 Guest
    I will give John Carter that much, he does say quite a bit in his book about how his mother was always buying stuff..and he did mention she got on the prescription drugs for a while too, but he also had the undercurrent running that he was benefiting the entire time. Something else I didn't know I learned from the book....his wife was a bar musician in Nashville (I think) that somehow fanagled her way into playing with June and into his life. Or at least that's just MHO, sorry.
    To prevent sounding so catty....I have also given it more thought and maybe John Carter just had the wrong person editing/co-writing his book. They could at least have had it coming from a different perspective, shown people in a different light.

RIPWELLSTONE Guest
    It seems that like Elvis, Johnny Cash went through a musical phase that was a little too orchestrated..away from their original rawness.. Rich Reuben did a great job with Johnny Cash's last albums.. Back to his roots.. I would have loved to see what he could have done with Elvis!! Indeed..

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cash

Second, behind Elvis as far as my faves

I love the connections between he and Elvis

Very cool guy

Rosanne Cash actually delivered a very nice eulogy at June's funeral.

ssgpete Guest
    Saw the movie thought it was good. Right after Johnny died the second version of Dawn of the Dead came out. I really liked how they used the song "The Man Comes Around". I liked the orignal DOD beter than the second one though.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Cool pic! He looks rough though.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

laynesgrl Guest
    I don't actually care for country music, but I love Johnny Cash!! He was as rebel!!!

Deila's Gone is a good song. It's my fave Johnny Cash song right now

laynesgrl Guest
    I read in a book by Johnny, where he said that he and John Carter Cash took each other to a Metallica concert, and he actually said he enjoyed it!!

simon69 Guest

Johnny Cash & Nitty Gritty Dirt Band & Friends

His rendition for "Hurt" gives me serious chills and makes me cry everytime I listen to it.

RIP Johnny...at least he's with June now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

debeth88 Guest

Johnny Cash June Carter singing Jackson

I have never been much of a country fan....but i did love these two especially this song they sang together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN17L5Gb_gA

Quote Originally Posted by debeth88 View Post
    I have never been much of a country fan....but i did love these two especially this song they sang together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN17L5Gb_gA
    I'm no country fan either, but I love me some Jackson.

GOD IS NOT DEAD

RubySlippers Guest
    i actually really like how Joaquin and Reese sing it better. It is sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    i actually really like how Joaquin and Reese sing it better. It is sexy.
    I agree. They were much more animated. However I have seen J and J sing it on TV and baby they had it going on there better than any clip I've seen.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

6 years already...RIP Johnny.

"Hurt" made me cry...just listened to it 2 times today, and it STILL makes me cry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

STsFirstmate Guest
    I Johnny he was the real deal. I saw him perform twice, once with June Carter. My favorite song that they wrote and performed was "I Still Need Someone". Linda Rondstat did a noce cover of it.
    My favorite Johnny Cash song is Folsom Prison Blues performed live at Folsom Prison.
    They just don't make them like the old man in black anymore.
    Regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Fantastic!