Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Cash

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Fantastic!
    Goosebump-inducing!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Wow.
    Cindy

My fave June and John song is Jackson, and love Johnny's Ring of Fire, but you can't beat those prison songs.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

smooches27 Guest
    Holy crap.... that sent chills down my spine. Freaking awesome....

The loss of this man is staggering. I really do not give a damn about most famous people... but I do not even lke to think about him being gone.
    The first music I ever listened to was his. My grandmother was a big fan.

I saw him in a small club in Atlanta just a couple of years before he died. I was lucky enough to be about 10 feet away from him while he sang with June.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Ok folks the 26th would have been Johnny's 78th birthday and his last album was just released America Vl:Ain't No Grave.
    People are being asked to wear black on his birthday as a tribute to the real deal manin black. I'm in, anybody else?
    Regards,
    Mary

sablegsd Guest
    I'm in.

I can do that!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Interesting little factoid...

The 10-billionth song downloaded was “Guess Things Happen That Way” by Johnny Cash.
    Last edited by rosemom; 02-26-2010 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rosemom View Post
    Heh... cool, I live just outside of Woodstock.

Quote Originally Posted by rosemom View Post
    What a great story! His attempt to learn Luther Perkins cracked me up. The "Folsom Prison Blues" riff is the first, and only thing I attempt to play on my husbands Telecaster.
    Cindy

Luther was highly underrated... technically he was not extremely advanced but he created a "sound" and style.

Has anyone picked up 'Ain't No Grave' yet? I'm waiting for it in the mail.

- R.H. Sin

Y'know, I don't care about some of the judgements y'all wanna pass regarding Johnny and June. I firmly believe that sometimes we meet that right person even at the most inopportune times. It takes courage to do what's right morally, but that being said I think it's even harder to make the changes in your life to be with your soul mate. I've had my soul mate, and lost him because I married the first guy that came into my life when we parted. Now I'm miserable. I wish I could have a soul mate these days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

Johnny and June were definitely right for each other. When I heard she'd died, I knew he wasn't long for this world.

- R.H. Sin

Johnny and June were definitely right for each other. When I heard she'd died, I knew he wasn't long for this world.
    Same here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OMG the new album is amazing. It's like a requiem. The songs of a man who knew he was dying and was ready to go.

- R.H. Sin

I cannot wait to hear it!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OMG the new album is amazing. It's like a requiem. The songs of a man who knew he was dying and was ready to go.
    I agree 100%. I got the album this weekend. It gives me chills when I listen to it.
    Cindy

Black_Dahlia Guest
    I love the Man In Black.......
    I have tattoos inspired by him... if only I could figure out how to post photos!
    Last edited by Black_Dahlia; 05-13-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: can't seem to get photos to work...

Johnny Cash to be inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame on January 24, 2011. Trace Adkins will perform. http://www.accessatlanta.com/atlanta...xntlid=thbz_hm
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

His Gospel songs are some of my favorites. I'll Fly Away and Swing Slow, Sweet Chariot are 2 of his best songs.

Wow, glad I found this thread. I am from a town just 5 minutes away from his birth place. In fact, my grandmother says we are kin to him, but it is so distant it really would not matter.

I may load the wife up in a bit and go take some photos from around his birth town and post them for you all here in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by SRVFan View Post
    Wow, glad I found this thread. I am from a town just 5 minutes away from his birth place. In fact, my grandmother says we are kin to him, but it is so distant it really would not matter.

I may load the wife up in a bit and go take some photos from around his birth town and post them for you all here in a bit.
    Being related to Johnny Cash definitely matters That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
    His Gospel songs are some of my favorites. I'll Fly Away and Swing Slow, Sweet Chariot are 2 of his best songs.
    Mine too!
    Quote Originally Posted by SRVFan View Post

If you take pics, please do post them.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Dan33185 View Post
    Being related to Johnny Cash definitely matters That's awesome.
    I know we do have some Cash's in our family.

Funny story, right after Johnny passed, his little broth Tommy attended a local HS football game. We are used to this as he still lives here. What made it funny was trying to convince the opposing team's fans that night that it was Tommy and that Johnny had not faked his death and came home! Tommy looks a lot like Johnny, which is why some thought that.

We are about to head down that way. I'll get some photos posted up later this evening.

Okay, here we go. Several signs from around the small town of Kingsland.

This is a monument they have in 'down town', which is not very big (the town)

In one of Johnny's final music videos; 'HURT', you see Johnny traveling on a train, and walking around a house. Here are the tracks, and the house which is is birth house. Now, the birth house has been restored once, and is about to undergo another restoration to become the Johnny Cash Museum. The railroad tracks are right across the highway from the house. Johnny rode into the Rison, Arkansas area in 1976 to do a concert in both towns for the Bicentennial. There are only 8 miles between Rison and Kingsland. He also visited his birth house, which is what you see in the video 'HURT'. Note of interest, if you drive another 8 miles south, you hit Fordyce Arkansas. The birthplace of Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

Last edited by SRVFan; 12-23-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Wow, I would have thought that house would be gone by now, very cool to see it's still standing.

If you look at the photo, you can see two parts. It used to be a lot smaller, and it was added on to (note under the front porch). People have lived in it, but now it is being turned in to the museum.

Thanks SRVFan! Great pictures!
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Thanks SRVFan! Great pictures!
    Thank you for posting- fantastic photos and background information!

What a contribution! Love the pics. I had know idea the Bear and the Man in Black were from the same neck of the woods.

I love the song and video "Hurt", makes me cry.

It is so true "everyone I know goes away in the end."

Quote Originally Posted by KCBee View Post
    What a contribution! Love the pics. I had know idea the Bear and the Man in Black were from the same neck of the woods.
    I will venture out and get some photos of "Bear" related things as well.

Beefbag Guest
    Named our son after him. "Cash" is quite interested in all kinds of music!

Quote Originally Posted by Beefbag View Post
    Named our son after him. "Cash" is quite interested in all kinds of music!

Country Star John Rich also names his son Cash...the kid's name is Cash Rich...HILARIOUS!!!

BarefootOkieGal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I may be the only person who wonders WHY people want to entertain inmates. I have always wondered why he was so admired for playing Folsom. Uh they are criminals in prison. I don't think they should have concerts or comedians or any other form of entertainment.
    The problem with that is that criminals with absolutely nothing else to do will spend their time either (a) planning an escape, or (b) planning some mischief right there in prison. I don't object to entertaining them - I'd rather entertain them than having them cause more trouble because they're bored!

BarefootOkieGal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    I love that song! Does anyone know where I can find it?

-K.
    "Big Bad John" was actually written and performed by Jimmy Dean - I believe it's on YouTube videos.

(Always did like that song!)

BarefootOkieGal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    I love the song and video "Hurt", makes me cry.

It is so true "everyone I know goes away in the end."
    What gets me is when June is standing there looking at him, and she looks so loving and concerned... no one expected her to go first, but when she did, I knew John wouldn't be around much longer.

That's really quite a video, isn't it? I hear it was voted #1 by some music association...

June passed away first I knew right then and there the John wouldn't be around much longer and I was right.

Rosebud666 Guest

Johnny Cash's house committed suicide

Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    Does anyone know what caused the fire? Its almost as if Johnny and June didn't want anything changed. That or they really didn't want a BeeGee in their home LOL
    Johnny Cash's house commited suicide rather than be lived in Barry Gibb

Once my walls rang out with tales of fear and doubt,
    And songs of pain and loss, revenge and sin.
    Now there's a big haired, toothy limey,
    And he says he wants to buy me.
    But I'll burn in hell before I let him in! . . .

Just turn around, get back!
    This is the house of the Man in Black!
    Not the house of the man in satin flares!

In mah hey day, I'da done him, a line of coke, and three shots of whiskey. Can you tell? I've been drinking, and I'm horny!

Rosebud666 Guest
    In mah hey day, I'da done him, a line of coke, and three shots of whiskey. Can you tell? I've been drinking, and I'm horny!
    Well, a few years back, a German men's magazine (IIRC it was the German edition of Men's Health) published an article with music suggestions for various kinds of assignations and women. Their soundtrack tip for "late night drunken sex" was Johnny Cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Well, a few years back, a German men's magazine (IIRC it was the German edition of Men's Health) published an article with music suggestions for various kinds of assignations and women. Their soundtrack tip for "late night drunken sex" was Johnny Cash.
    I must say, I concur!

Rosebud666 Guest
    I must say, I concur!
    I'll make a note of that. Market research is always good.

October 5, 2012 Johnny Cash Festival in Jonesboro, Arkansas

http://www.johnnycashmusicfest.com/

Willie and The Civil Wars!! I hope Willie is doing alright by then and can make it. He just had to cancel a concert due to breathing problems...