Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnny Cash

onehunglow Guest

onehunglow Guest

ComputerGuy Guest
    Great post

Wow that was some post.Got me all misty eyed.

Darrianne Guest
    Yes, thanks for sharing that. It was a cool house.

onehunglow Guest

My pleasure. I don't think Johnny wanted a BG there

Odd just when one of the Gibs buys it, and was working on changing stuff, it burns

Danny62 Guest
    Its funny how as we get older we appreciate people more. I used to make fun of Johnny in my youger days.

That was a cool post on youtube!

I realized a couple years ago Johnny had a special talent!

The man in black!

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:50 AM.

knothere Guest
    one of the beegees bot a johnny home n toatally renoed it

GODDESS6 Guest
    wow, that was really sad & what a gorgeous house~

knothere Guest
    When did that happen? Yes that's a very good post onehunglow.

John sure loved his Junie. I love a good love story. And they died months apart...see, there's something to that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

meggles Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    John sure loved his Junie. I love a good love story. And they died months apart...see, there's something to that.

I think so, too. True love story, I think they just couldn't make it without each other. All of us would be lucky to have that with our respective chosen ones.

Loved June's hair in the bow in that you tube clip. I know there are a lot of really young death hags on this board, so you'll have this to look forward to. I look back at pictures when I was in high school, or in the 80's, and I think "what the hell was I thinking with the hair or the clothes"?

If you live long enough, this shit will happen to you also. June, I feel your pain, dear. We all made hair mistakes. Hell, even that old picture of Phil flipping someone off in the Spector thread shows his hair mistakes have no end, no mercy.

anyone heard June's song "Far Side Banks of Jordan"???

god, that song just makes me bawl. it's beautiful. and really telling of their love. and really foreshadowing their deaths.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

xenaswolf Guest
    Does anyone know what caused the fire? Its almost as if Johnny and June didn't want anything changed. That or they really didn't want a BeeGee in their home LOL

onehunglow Guest

They said it had just been covered with new paint

Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    Does anyone know what caused the fire? Its almost as if Johnny and June didn't want anything changed. That or they really didn't want a BeeGee in their home LOL
    Or something like that. I agree that they didn't want Disco in their home. The man in black gets Disco back.

Cayley Guest
    They had used a flammable sealant. One of the workers lit a blow torch and the fumes ignited.

Barry Gibb bought the house and was restoring it to its former condition. He and his wife were going to use it as their summer home and a songwriting retreat.

Barry has said that he is going to build on the grounds but out of respect for what once stood there, he will not build on the original foundation.

I went up there two days after it happened, and the smell of smoke still filled the air.

Alot of people here in Nashville believe it happened because nobody besides Johnny and June were meant to live in that house.

candleinthewind Guest
    Very poignant. Johnny and June were very cool and much missed.

It was as if that saying "You can't take it with you" didn't happen this time - Johnny & June DID take it (the house) with them!

RoRo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    one of the beegees bot a johnny home n toatally renoed it
    That's the one that burned....Barry Gibb says they will build on the property but not where that house stood.....nice respect shown.

RoRo Guest
    That house was beautiful and their bed was still inside when it burned down, it was sold with the house. I admire Barry Gibb for deciding not rebuild on that site, he says it is hallowed ground to him,he is going to build near it on the property

leevancleef Guest
    i loved the film Walk the Line. I think Joaquin Phoenix did a hell of a job portraying Johnny.
    I love Johnny's singing in Hurt, that song is just amazing.

knothere Guest
    wow i just watch that vid for the effect

knothere Guest
    damn

PlumCrazyPurple Guest

Johnny Cash

I've always enjoyed his music. We watched Walk the Line the other night and it was pretty good. Not really what we expected but we did enjoy it. June was absolutely his one true love as I think is evidenced by his death a few months after hers. She was one hell of a forgiving woman! Also I didn't realize he lost his older brother in such a horrible way. He was cut nearly in half by a table saw at a mill where he worked and managed to live for over a week. Unreal.

26. 02-06-2008, 12:09 AM

Johnny was THE MAN! I love A Boy Named Sue. My favorite Cash song, right before Jackson and Ring of Fire.

PvN73 Guest
    Bio by: Kit and Morgan Benson - C&P'ed From FindaGrave

Birth: Feb. 26, 1932Death: Sep. 12, 2003
    Country Singer, Musician, Actor, Entertainer. Legendary Country Music Singer and songwriter who was known as "The Man in Black" for his trademark wearing of all black clothing. Contrary to his songs and image, he never spent time in prison (except to visit). Most remembered for the songs "Ring of Fire," "Folsom Prison Blues," "A Boy Named Sue," and "I walk the Line." Born in Kingsland, Arkansas, one of seven children, in 1951, he enlisted into the United States Air Force, was stationed in Germany, and was honorably discharged in 1954. He began his singing career in 1955, with the hit single "Hey, Porter" for Sun Records in Memphis, Tennessee while working for radio station KWEM. In 1958, he changed to Columbia Records. In the mid-1960s, he became addicted to drugs, but with the help of singer June Carter of the legendary Carter Country Music Family, he was able to break the addiction, although he had relapses several times, including going through rehab at the Betty Ford Center in 1984. He was married twice, first to Vivian Liberto (1954 to 1966, divorced), with whom he had four daughters, then to June Carter (1968 to her death in May 2003), with whom he had a son, John. In 1961, he began to appear in movies, starting with "Door to Door Maniac" and also appeared in television, beginning in 1958, and made numerous guest appearances on various television shows. He was inducted into the Songwriters, the Country Music and the Rock and Roll Halls of Fame, the first to be inducted into all three Halls of Fame. He died about four months after the death of his wife, June.

Cause of death: Diabetes and neuropathy

I thought he was just fantastic. I love how when he sings that he moves into a deeper tone instead of the usual higher notes that most singers do.

The albums he did produced by Rick Rubin were just amazing, and I will never understand how such a great artist was dropped from a record label, what an absolute disgrace - he had so much still to give to us. I remember when he passed as the radio station I listen to played his stuff all weekend. He was an amazing artist

Respect.

Well put! I thought it was amazing that he passed away almost four months to the day after June. They truly were soul mates, and he was very lucky to have had her in his life. She was an amazing woman.

They were country royalty.

-K.

I miss'em both.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    Well put! I thought it was amazing that he passed away almost four months to the day after June. They truly were soul mates, and he was very lucky to have had her in his life. She was an amazing woman.

They were country royalty.

-K.
    She had a lovely voice, and when they sang together it was just beautiful.
    I am sure he died of a broken heart. If she wasnt in his life I am sure he would have died long ago.

magblax Guest
    Johnny has a star on Beale Street in Memphis (very cool)...my sister laid on the sidewalk to get her pic. taken with it (yuck!).

Here is the Million Dollar Quartet at Sun Studios. Great tour..Even though it is more famous for Elvis Sun was Johnny's studio too!

When my Dad was an instructor at Millington N.A.S. we went by Sun Studio a few times. I wanna take momma there and show her the fun side of Memphis. I ain't had BBQ Spaghetti in some time.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    When my Dad was an instructor at Millington N.A.S. we went by Sun Studio a few times. I wanna take momma there and show her the fun side of Memphis. I ain't had BBQ Spaghetti in some time.

FUN FUN FUN! I want to go again in May or October. October would be OK if I miss the annual Bible Belt Convention.

I was raised Southern Baptist, I am in severe relapse now of course. And man they got good pulled pork round them parts.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I was raised Southern Baptist, I am in severe relapse now of course. And man they got good pulled pork round them parts.
    The BEST!!!! They know how to do it right!

RaRaRamona Guest
    His sis Joanne was on "Split Ends." I was really surprised. I think what they did was really humiliating, considering she's "Nashville royalty."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nENPJLM9eEU

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    FUN FUN FUN! I want to go again in May or October. October would be OK if I miss the annual Bible Belt Convention.
    I'm also in for another trip soon! Love it! Was stationed for a short time at NAS Millington when I was first in the Navy....worked at the hospital.

Long closed now. Sad.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I was so lucky as a kid and being raised on Country I saw JC many times. Grand Ol Opry and anywhere else he was playing. My dad was nuts about country and loved JC. I remember one time and I can't remember if it was at the GOO or somewhere else when JC showed up so fucked up ,he could barely walk and that was LONG before June nailed his ass down LOL That old prison story was started becasue he got busted with reds or some other drug and did a day or so in jail. But I loved the fact that he always wanted to enterain those in prison.
    I think Joaquin did a hell of a job in that movie.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I may be the only person who wonders WHY people want to entertain inmates. I have always wondered why he was so admired for playing Folsom. Uh they are criminals in prison. I don't think they should have concerts or comedians or any other form of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    She had a lovely voice, and when they sang together it was just beautiful.
    I am sure he died of a broken heart. If she wasnt in his life I am sure he would have died long ago.

I totally agree! I loved it when they sang together too! Jackson is my favorite song by them. I love the part where June says Ha!

-K.

42. 02-27-2008, 07:44 AM

The song Big Bad John

I love that song! Does anyone know where I can find it?

-K.

Lisa, I was at Millington too. Spent seven months there. While waiting for my orders to my ship, I helped the groundskeeper at the hospital for a couple of weeks. Gad what a slum Millington was. Remember the mud flats?
    I remember there was a guitar store there that had an accoustic given to them by Brian Jones. They also had the number four Les Paul Gibson.

True Story: On my first day off after reporting to NAS Millington (1980), I was determined to drive to Graceland in Memphis. I drove all over the place and could not find Elvis Presley Boulevard despite asking directions several times. That was because people kept stealing the street signs and the city of Memphis quit replacing them. I finally pulled into a gas station to get some more fumes and I asked the proprietor where Graceland was. He gave me a most disgusted look and pointed across the street, and sure enough, through the trees, there it was.

For a few moments I was only six feet away from the King.
    Last edited by MagnusDippytack; 04-18-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added thought
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

**Jenna** Guest
    I like Jackson and Ring of Fire.

MbalmR Guest
    I just watched "Walk The Line," so I was curious to learn more about Mr. & Mrs. Cash, and looked them up on the net. After viewing several photos of Johnny Cash, I was left with the impression that the man ALWAYS looked old, even when he was young. He also reminds me of Michael Douglas for some reason. Have I lost my mind?

Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    I just watched "Walk The Line," so I was curious to learn more about Mr. & Mrs. Cash, and looked them up on the net. After viewing several photos of Johnny Cash, I was left with the impression that the man ALWAYS looked old, even when he was young. He also reminds me of Michael Douglas for some reason. Have I lost my mind?
    Never thought about it, M, but now that you mention it, they do have a certain resemblance.

Love me some Jackson.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

**Jenna** Guest
    Your right, he did always look old.I always thought it was me.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by laynestaleyfan View Post
    Your right, he did always look old.I always thought it was me.
    Cash appeared to have a lot of American Indian genes, which would account for his coal black hair, physical size, and rough facial features. Of course those hard miles he experienced through his life added to the rugged Cash appearance. Johnny always musically championed what he perceived as social injustices...most notably starting with "The Ballad Of Ira Hayes" through the prison LP's, clarifying his social stance with "Man In Black". Like Sinatra, J.R. Cash did it his way.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 04-21-2008 at 09:13 AM.

MbalmR Guest
    I read today on Wikipedia (yes, I know, I know) that Cash had no Native American blood in him at all. However, given his substance abuse, I can see where his face would look like 400 miles of Arizona fire trails at such a young age.

gotta love this - my empire of dirt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

Noreen Guest
    That video always makes me cry. So very touching. What a man Johnny was!
    He really does look like he had Native American blood, I agree. But he was from Scottish ancestry, I belive. I admired him singing to prisoners in jail. He didn't judge, just knew we were all brothers and sisters.
    His Unearthered CD set, produced by the great Rick Rubin is a masterpiece. Duets with Joe Strummer, Nick Cave, Fiona Apple, and his daughter Roseanne, is a must have for any hard core Cash fan.