• computer hard drive

4 11.11%
  • Other

8 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Do You Collect Anything?

Mammy Guest
    Yes, cats can be pretty brutal on stuff. My husband buys a lot of my dolls for me, especially if he knows there is one I have my eye on. He's a keeper!

Have you started collecting dolls Mammy? If so do you have any input on what it would take to get an antique mannequin? I would really like to find a cool one to get for a friend of mine's fiancé that makes clothes. She doesn't make them in a hippy way or anything. It's just something she does for a hobby, but she makes really cute skirts and tops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Books and movies. I did inherit a great collection from my grandmother though. She saved every clipping the local newspaper printed about the JFK assasination, some Time/Life mags and books, as well as an album of Kennedy's speeches.
    Back in high school I used to collect celebrity obits. It got to the point where my classmates would find clippings of strange deaths and paste them up in my locker for me to find.
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

Mammy Guest
    I've been collecting dolls for several years, MM, but I have no idea how you would go about getting an antique mannequin unless you could find a clothing store that is going out of business and selling their items. I mostly like Cabbage Patch Kids and Raggedy Ann and Andy, but I also like babydolls that were popular when I was a kid, like Baby Chrissy. The reason I was asking if anyone on here knew anything about vintage vinyl dolls was because I bought a doll at Goodwill yesterday that I know is vintage seventies and still in her original box and has never been removed from it. I've looked online to try to find some information about her, but couldn't find anything. She is a Horsman doll and has the soft vinyl skin and I only paid $12.00 for her.

Crimsonams, was your Grandma somewhat of a death hag? I think it's cool that she saved all of that stuff and you now have it. That's definitely not something that everyone else has.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I've been collecting dolls for several years, MM, but I have no idea how you would go about getting an antique mannequin unless you could find a clothing store that is going out of business and selling their items. I mostly like Cabbage Patch Kids and Raggedy Ann and Andy, but I also like babydolls that were popular when I was a kid, like Baby Chrissy. The reason I was asking if anyone on here knew anything about vintage vinyl dolls was because I bought a doll at Goodwill yesterday that I know is vintage seventies and still in her original box and has never been removed from it. I've looked online to try to find some information about her, but couldn't find anything. She is a Horsman doll and has the soft vinyl skin and I only paid $12.00 for her.
    I don't really know a whole lot about dolls in general, but I like investigating. Are there any other identifiers on her? What kind of clothes did she come with and what kind of hair does she have?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Mammy Guest
    I will post her picture for you to see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0001.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	45977

Dust.

I used to collect coins. I had a collection that I had been working on for about 20 years when my brother stole it so I stopped. I have a huge collection of Rip magazine (rock music) from back when I had a subscription. I used to collect Hot Rockin' Steel cars until they stopped making them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mammy Guest
    Nothing quite so heartwarming as a family member who steals from you is there? I remember you mentioning it before, but I'm sorry he did that to you. It's a really bad feeling and sure makes you feel betrayed, especially when other family members act like it isn't a big deal. I can't stand to be around people who I can't trust.

I entered some different google search terms and found out that my Goodwill doll came out in 1971. She's almost as old as I am, but in much nicer condition. Lol! I'm a big baby, but I'm proud of my new/old doll.

Dear Mammy,
    I'm 100% sure that your doll is super cute, and i'm 90% sure your baby is the same age that I am.
    The only Horsman dolls that could find with that same type of packaging are from 1985 (see images of Lil' Sofskin and Baby Sofskin). I saw a few of the Lovely Sofkins for sale at online auctions one was $6.99 without the box and the other was $50.00 with the box (go Mammy)
    Also, I found the coolest website in the world that you can look at department store catalogs 1986 and earlier. Awesome right? Lovely Sofskin was sold at Montgomery Ward and Spiegel btw.
    Here's the website...
    http://www.wishbookweb.com
    and here are the photos (sorry they're small)

Name:	Baby_Sofskin.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	384.9 KB 
ID:	45978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lil_Sofskin.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	45979
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

I used to collect Elvis stuff. CD's, DVD's, bootleg DVD's, magazines, dolls, anything I could get my hands on. I have since stopped, I just haven't gotten back into him yet.

Mammy Guest
    Thanks, MM! That is a cool website and I can see spending a lot of time there when I should be doing other things. Lol
    I'm not interested in info about her because I want to sell her, I was just curious of the specifics about her. She even still has the hairnet on her hair. I also wonder who donated her. She's obviously been around for at least three decades and someone kept her in her original packaging, so why give her away after keeping her so long, unless maybe the person is deceased and someone just donated all of the person's belongings? I way over analyze everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post

Crimsonams, was your Grandma somewhat of a death hag? I think it's cool that she saved all of that stuff and you now have it. That's definitely not something that everyone else has.
    Actually it's my dad who was the death hag. He also loved Kennedy. She collected all that stuff and gave it to him. When I got interested in history (especially JFK), he passed it along to me. It's amazing all the things she gathered together. My sister-in-law works in a local museum, and her eyes just about popped out when I showed her the collection.
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

MbalmR Guest

What do you collect?

I enjoy snooping through things that people collect. I'm sure everyone collects something. I personally collect small horse figurines, Don Quixote statuettes, tea cups, and bubble wrap. I have BINS of the stuff in the basement. You never know when it might come in handy......

Cats and matching t-shirts with my husband.

MinLynn Guest
    Well, I used to collect fairy figurines and anything Marilyn Monroe and Gone With the Wind but I'm running out of room for it all. That's just my own personal stuff though. As a household we collect skulls (real skulls. All animal right now but we will eventually add a human one to the collection) and odd taxidermy. We also collect early to mid-century bar-ware but again we're running out of room to display it. We used to collect Early Post-Mortem photographs but they're getting pricey and I'm missing my collection since moving. I guess we tend to just collect anything that's morbid and out of the ordinary as long as we can display it properly.

Anything to do with photography
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

black-cats-meow Guest
    I collect Monster High Dolls. Like, if those dolls were around when I was kid that would have been my #1 toy. But, I really do love those dolls even if I am like 18.
    So far I have Spectra Vondergeist, Frankie Stein, a light-up Frankie Stein, Venus McFlytrap, Draculara, Cupid, and Skelita Calavera.

Seagorath Guest
    Old VHS cassettes...mainly horror and sci-fi. Also love documentaries on VHS. I'm building a vintage 80s horror video store section in my house...with vintage posters, standees and everything.

I love the 80s.

Duplicate threads. I collect them into one neat, tidy thread.

Also coffee mugs. But not because I actively seek them out. People just keep giving them to me, lol.

Oh and gift cards. I earn so many on various sites that I have to declare them on my taxes. Any service you perform in exchange for any form of tangible compensation being why I started declaring them originally. It's considered small business income. The good thing about that? They're taxed at the normal rate as other earned income, so a portion of that tax goes toward social security, unemployment (I know, on the second but it's true lol), etc. My collection declaration helping provide tiny bits of security for myself and others.

MbalmR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    I collect small horse figurines (out of room) and Don Quixote statues (out of room.)
    I forgot to mention tea cups and XMas ornaments.

I used to have a collection of buttons. In high school, I wore a jean jacket covered with my favorites. I still collect pens. It's an after-effect from spending three years working for OfficeMax.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Right now I'm collecting arborvitae out on the deck for planting this weekend.

Soundtracks and other rare records, I was always going to record shows in the 80's. Still have some of it, most I've replaced on CD when it becomes available.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Firearms & Ammo........started "Collecting" many years ago....................

Tin foil

Used to collect Pez dispensers. Now I collect hideous coffee mugs from thrift shops. I use them at work, because if they're *really* ugly, none of my 250+ colleagues will steal them.

Does anyone here collect stamps? I've inherited two stamp collections which my grandfather began (pre-WWII), and I'd like to sell them, I think. So far I've visited a few websites to see if there are rare/unusual ones...most are rather common...but my head hurts from all the squinting.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    Used to collect Pez dispensers. Now I collect hideous coffee mugs from thrift shops. I use them at work, because if they're *really* ugly, none of my 250+ colleagues will steal them.

Does anyone here collect stamps? I've inherited two stamp collections which my grandfather began (pre-WWII), and I'd like to sell them, I think. So far I've visited a few websites to see if there are rare/unusual ones...most are rather common...but my head hurts from all the squinting.
    That's a good idea, the coffee mug thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    That's a good idea, the coffee mug thing.
    Heh...thanks! It's really fun to watch the mugs "circulate" at work...we have a tiny kitchen with an overworked Keurig machine used by everyone, and I know most people but not everyone very well...so it's a good conversation starter: I see you like my mug! Ain't it a beaut?!!

Srsly...if anyone has stamp-collection advice, hit me. The best thing for me to do, I'm sure, would be to research the origin/value/condition of every stamp in the two books (there are hundreds). But I know myself too well - I won't be doing this. Then again, I don't want to take these family heirlooms to Pawn Stars and have Rick offer me $50 for the bunch.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Being a huge Elvis Presley fan, I collect his CDs/DVDs/Books. I am actually, at the moment, looking for a book that was out in 2011/2012 called, "Fashion For A King", from the "Follow That Dream" collector's label but I've had a hell of a time finding a copy since the book is OOP, officially. I did, however, locate one on Ebay but...it had some imperfections (outer cover was bent) and I decided against buying it.

A REQUEST FOR ANY ELVIS FAN HERE:

IF THEY SEE "FASHION FOR A KING" ON ANY SITE LIKE EBAY OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE!!

Thanks, ya'll!

Take Care,
    Tony Trout
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Rhonda Guest

Blu-ray movies. I had a DVD collection years ago but it was terrible full of dick and fart joke movies and looked like it belonged in some frat house somewhere.

My tastes in film has matured quite a bit since then and I am happy with my collection now.

Remember Rin and Stimpy's booger collection??

Name:	nosegoblins.jpg 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	47310

I find my movie collecting as more than a hobby, more like a straight out addiction.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	47313
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    Remember Rin and Stimpy's booger collection??

Name:	nosegoblins.jpg 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	47310
    No Maam I don't like it

Name:	char_42551.jpg 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	47314

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    No Maam I don't like it

Name:	char_42551.jpg 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	47314
    That show used to crack me up!

Mammy Guest
    I think the only thing I collect lately is trashy, annoying neighbors.

odd looks occasionally
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by black-cats-meow View Post
    I collect Monster High Dolls. Like, if those dolls were around when I was kid that would have been my #1 toy. But, I really do love those dolls even if I am like 18.
    So far I have Spectra Vondergeist, Frankie Stein, a light-up Frankie Stein, Venus McFlytrap, Draculara, Cupid, and Skelita Calavera.
    Ha, that's awesome. I collect them too. I have all the Basics/Signatures, and then I collect all of the Ghoulia's & Spectra's. I also have a selection of others as well. It's so hard NOT to want to buy them all.

endsleigh03 Guest
    I collect attitudes. Some days more than others.

I collect old Garbage Pail Kids stickers. Anyone remember those? lol I also collect CD's and DVD's/Blu Ray's and Nascar die cast cars.

I have several collections: magazines, DVDs, videogames...
    When God goes to bed every night, he prays to CM Punk.

Vintage jewelry (don't have much yet)
    cosmetics
    nail polish
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

True crime and disaster books.