Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laurel & Hardy

So glad there is a thread for Laurel and Hardy. Some stated earlier in this thread that they were comfort food. That is so right! I find myself smiling while watching L&H, and I don't smile often. Absolutely adore them. Their Roach shorts are my favorites, especially "The Music Box". Been to the stairs on Vendome. Very cool site.

A couple of anecdotes: Dick Van Dyke found Stan listed in the Santa Monica phone book and called him. That's how they met. His old apartment is now a hotel near the beach.

In the fifties, Stan and Babe were to have a meeting at the Roosevelt Hotel with someone from the studio for a possible future project. Both were needing work pretty badly at that point, and were pretty excited about this meeting. Come to find out, it was a trick to get them on "This is Your Life" (they seemed to stop at nothing to get people on). Stan was furious but being the gentlemen that they were, they went along. Pretty cruel trick to pull on these guys. I have seen the episode and it's pretty sad. Hal Roach wouldn't show up (read he didn't like Stan), so his son showed up instead. Somewhat awkward show.

Anyway, L&H will live in my heart forever. They were the best. No matter how many times I have seen their shorts, I still laugh out loud like it was the first time. That's how good they were.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    In the fifties, Stan and Babe were to have a meeting at the Roosevelt Hotel with someone from the studio for a possible future project. Both were needing work pretty badly at that point, and were pretty excited about this meeting. Come to find out, it was a trick to get them on "This is Your Life" (they seemed to stop at nothing to get people on). Stan was furious but being the gentlemen that they were, they went along. Pretty cruel trick to pull on these guys. I have seen the episode and it's pretty sad. Hal Roach wouldn't show up (read he didn't like Stan), so his son showed up instead. Somewhat awkward show.
    Both Stan and Babe's wives were consulted prior to the "This is Your Life" surprise, so it would be unfair to call it an ambush by Ralph Edwards. It's true that Stan was unhappy with the show, but only because he was a stickler for perfection, which obviously can't be had on a show that was broadcast live.

Hal Roach Sr. had, or was in the process of selling his studio to Hal Jr., and perhaps didn't want to steal the spotlight from him. Roach Sr. always had a great respect for Stan & Babe's talent.

Hal Jr. was also in the process of creating a new television series, "Laurel and Hardy's Fabulous Fables" with Stan and Babe, where the team would again have complete creative control over the series. Before filming could begin, Laurel suffered a stroke. Just as he recovered, Hardy had a massive stroke from which he never recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludigan View Post
    Both Stan and Babe's wives were consulted prior to the "This is Your Life" surprise, so it would be unfair to call it an ambush by Ralph Edwards. It's true that Stan was unhappy with the show, but only because he was a stickler for perfection, which obviously can't be had on a show that was broadcast live.

Hal Roach Sr. had, or was in the process of selling his studio to Hal Jr., and perhaps didn't want to steal the spotlight from him. Roach Sr. always had a great respect for Stan & Babe's talent.

Hal Jr. was also in the process of creating a new television series, "Laurel and Hardy's Fabulous Fables" with Stan and Babe, where the team would again have complete creative control over the series. Before filming could begin, Laurel suffered a stroke. Just as he recovered, Hardy had a massive stroke from which he never recovered.

Thanks Ludigan. I had read it somewhere years ago, so the source is questionable (as well as my memory). I got out my old Fred Guiles biography about Stan, and reread about the show. You are correct. Also, it was the Knickerbocker hotel, not the Roosevelt. Guess I'm getting too old to retain correct information lately.
    Cindy

erictheking97 Guest
    The GREATEST, god bless them

lucilleball861911 Guest
    I think that Paul Schrier AKA Bulk from the original Power Rangers series resembles Ollie. All he needs to do is grow a small 'stache and voila!

Just read that Stan's daughter passed away a few months ago. Lois was Stan's only child (her younger brother died a few days after birth). Her mom was Stan's 2nd spouse / 1st legal spouse Lois. Stan first had a common-law spouse named Mae Dahlberg, then years after they split up he married Lois. He divorced Lois and married Virginia Ruth, then divorced her and married a totally unstable Russian named Illiana. He divorced Illiana and REMARRIED Virginia Ruth, only to divorce her and finally married another Russian named Ida. Got all that ? "Little Lois" as she was called (her mom was "Big Lois") was married to Rand Brooks (Scarlett O'Hara's first husband in GWTW). I have an old VHS tape, a collection of L&H comedy shorts; at the beginning she narrates while some home videos and family photos are shown. She had a very sweet, gentle voice and only fond memories of her dad and "Uncle Babe" Hardy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...was-89-1025214

This thread is quite an education on one of my favorite duo's. I think it's amazing how timeless their work remains to this day, but even more amazing is the long friendship they had, which was unheard of in those days. Usually there was jealousy that one was getting more attention than the other... I think the chemistry these two had is due in large part to the fact that they were BOTH equally funny, not the straight man/funny guy formula that others employed later. We have a local pizza place in the town where I live called Papa Rollo's, and it has different rooms where they play old comedies like Little Rascals, Looney Tunes and Laurel and Hardy, guess what room we pick?
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

I recommend you read Randy Skretvedt's bio of Laurel & Hardy, also read Simon Louvish's bio

Randy's interviewed about his updated book on L & H: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0X2ofVuZ_E

New movie trailer is up. Stan & Ollie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8br7XzITccs
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Sad news: we now know that Stan Laurel murdered
    Thelma Todd. (book called: Hot Toddy) by Andy Edmonds.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Excuse me, we don't know squat about Stan Laurel and Thelma Todd. Somebody has come up with a theory and a book, and all the individuals in orbit around a plot are dead.
    Find DNA and have tested by three independent labs, and I'll believe it!

Quote Originally Posted by PooBah McGee View Post
    Excuse me, we don't know squat about Stan Laurel and Thelma Todd. Somebody has come up with a theory and a book, and all the individuals in orbit around a plot are dead. Find DNA and have tested by three independent labs, and I'll believe it!
    Excuse me, it hurts when we hear the truth about famous people we love (like Stan Laurel) George Harrison once said: never meet anybody famous.
    (they are only human)
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 10-13-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Stan Laurel did not kill Thelma, I, however believe the mobster that she was rubbing elbows with had her killed.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Stan Laurel did not kill Thelma, I, however believe the mobster that she was rubbing elbows with had her killed.
    Nope sorry you are wrong, Stan Laurel killed Thelma Todd.

I'm afraid it's true - there is a book out about Stan Laurel killing Thelma Todd.
    I saw a very credible looking article about it.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Did you read it on the internet, and what proof does the author of the book have? If you are referring to the book Hot Toddy, I have that book don't remember seeing anything in there about Stan killing her, sorry don't buy it, she was however running around with mobsters.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 11-12-2018 at 12:50 AM.

Every reference to Stan killing her is from this year, and all of it comes from the website Crazy Days and Nights, which offers zero proof and has dropped considerably in reliability the last 6 months.

There was nothing in Hot Toddy about Stan Laurel killing her, the author seemed to think it was the mob.

Thelma's ex husband, who wouldn't let her into the house and was the reason for her being in the garage said on his deathbed there had been threats from that they ignored and he felt the mob was involved in her death.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Thank you Madeline, as I just skimmed over Hot Toddy again and it mentions nothing about Stan Laurel, the website Crazy Days and Nights has no solid proof, I feel it was a mob hit as well, as they owed the mob money, I'll need to read Hot Toddy again but it had something to do with her restaurant.

I read Hot Toddy years ago. I too came away believing it was a mob it. I also suspected the ex had something to do with it because he locked her out. I can't remember if he was ever a suspect.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I think he was a suspect Cindy, I know he had dealings with the mob, I don't think the ex killed her but I think he knew who did it and why.

I think he was a suspect Cindy, I know he had dealings with the mob, I don't think the ex killed her but I think he knew who did it and why.
    It just seems too much of a coincidence that he locked her out the night she was murdered.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Exactly Cindy.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    It just seems too much of a coincidence that he locked her out the night she was murdered.
    So true, Stan Laurel murdered Thelma Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    So true, Stan Laurel murdered Thelma Todd.
    And your source is? We know it's not Hot Toddy by Edmonds.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Proof please, London, He didn't kill her just like Abbie did not kill her parents.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    New movie trailer is up. Stan & Ollie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8br7XzITccs
    Never knew about this, looks good.
    My profile picture and avatar are pictures of the lovely Agnetha Fältskog from ABBA, not me. I am a man, and an admirer of her. Friend proposers take note!

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I read Hot Toddy years ago. I too came away believing it was a mob it. I also suspected the ex had something to do with it because he locked her out. I can't remember if he was ever a suspect.
    Very True, but I still think Stan Laurel did it.

But they could dance so well! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMB9G44y-nM
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Very True, but I still think Stan Laurel did it.
    Which is all the "proof" you have. You are carrying the torch for an unfounded accusation. If Laurel was alive today, he could sue your ass for libel. Or is it slander? Either way, until you have absolutely solid evidence, the accusation is merely words. There is no reference to Thelma Todd linking her to Stan Laurel. Most accepted theory is, she was eliminated for not negotiating with gangsters. Todd was a pretty big star in her day. It's known that Groucho Marx had a big crush on her, developed while they shot Monkey Business together. Why not blame Groucho? Hell, why not blame Harpo?

Don't pass speculative rumors. Now back to Stan and Ollie, please!

I'm surprised by the debate.
    I thought it was a given - Stan Laurel killed Thelma Todd - it was widely known but swept under the rug like lots of Hollywood scandals.

I didn't know about the Groucho connection until now; although I'd like to hear about a little more evidence of his involvement before I assign any real credibility to the claim.

Groucho mentioned has attraction to the pretty blond in one of his many interviews. She was bubbly and full of energy and life. Groucho's first wife, Ruth, was not at his level of wit and his humor was sometimes very pointed and hurtful. She descended into alcoholism and became fat and unattractive. Groucho had an eye for a number of pretty, younger women, but all three of his marriages failed, based largely on mental abuse.

But back on track for a minute, I've never read anything to show Laurel had motive, or had the time and placement to put him in Todd's garage.

That's because he didn't do it

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I'm surprised by the debate.
    I thought it was a given - Stan Laurel killed Thelma Todd - it was widely known but swept under the rug like lots of Hollywood scandals.

I didn't know about the Groucho connection until now; although I'd like to hear about a little more evidence of his involvement before I assign any real credibility to the claim.
    Yes, you are right Stan Laurel killed Thelma Todd.
    Harpo is the best Marx brother.

I had never heard of the Stan Laurel rumor until I started reading this thread and checking up on what others had to say. I'm inclined to believe it, this is Hollywood after all. I do wonder how much Ollie knew though.
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 11-20-2018 at 04:36 PM.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Yes, you are right Stan Laurel killed Thelma Todd.
    Harpo is the best Marx brother.
    Yeah, Harpo really was the smartest and most compassionate of the lot.
    He didn't have Groucho's money or connections, but he was much more of a humanitarian.

And, he didn't kill anyone; that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    I had never heard of the Stan Laurel rumor until I started reading this thread and checking up on what others had to say. I'm inclined to believe it, this is Hollywood after all. I do wonder how much Ollie knew though.
    I believe that Ollie had to know too; but I've never seen any proof of it.
    I had heard rumors about Stan for years but really didn't put much stock in them until I heard about the confession that had been suppressed by a sympathetic detective back in the day.
    It seems like I saw a copy of the transcript on some site a while back; I'll have to see if I can find it.

He didnt kill her

People keep saying that but nobody ever offers any proof.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    People keep saying that but nobody ever offers any proof.
    So true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    I think lots of people have a dark side to them.

Stan Laurel included:

Killer Comedian – Old Hollywood

I suppose as time passes, the name of this actor becomes less known, but in the all time history of movies he is a permanent A lister.

If you are too young, you might not know his name, but if you read any history of movies book, he will be at the top for what he did film making wise. He was foreign born.

Lets call him MG.

He had his greatest success working with a co-star.

The same co-star.

Another star of many of these same films was an actress who was probably A- list.

Lets call her BG.

She was a staple of the films.

She also was having sex with our permanent A list actor.

He always made her have sex to keep the role.

Even if they were each married, he would still make her.

This is where it gets interesting.

BG was having an affair with a married man which began while she was still married.

This married man, we will call SC.

He discovered that BG was hooking up with MG and there was a big fight.

So, BG went over to the home of MG.

Apparently MG was about to get married to a woman he would end up marrying more than once.

But, as it happened, MG hadn’t told BG that he was getting married.

MG had been telling BG he wanted to marry BG.

At that point, in the middle of the night, BG said that in the morning she was going to tell everything to the soon to be wife of MG.

BG then drove off and went to the home of SC.

She tried to get in but he wouldn’t let her.

An hour or so later, MG showed up and sneaked in through a side door of the garage and strangled BG to death with a pair of tights.

He then turned on the engine of the car and walked out.

Now, what is interesting is that even though everyone suspected BG had been killed, everyone assumed it was the scorned wife of SC that did it.

Nope.

Now you know who it was.
    MG: Stan Laurel
    Married Virginia Ruth Rogers twice
    English comic actor, writer and film director, who was part of the comedy duo Laurel and Hardy.
    Co-star: Oliver Hardy
    BG / staple of the films: Thelma Todd
    SC: Roland West
    Wife: Jewel Carmen
    Murder Of `30s Starlet Thelma Todd No Longer Mystery
    Last edited by JimC; 11-25-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Sounds more like BS. Or some lame attempt at being clever. I suppose you could claim Stan Laurel had a hand in George Reeves murder, Buddy Holly's death and JFK. Doesn't matter about evidence. Just say so and it's true

Quote Originally Posted by bulletnose View Post
    Sounds more like BS. Or some lame attempt at being clever. I suppose you could claim Stan Laurel had a hand in George Reeves murder, Buddy Holly's death and JFK. Doesn't matter about evidence. Just say so and it's true
    Are you saying that Buddy Holly's plane was sabotaged by Stan, because he did die in a plane crash you know?
    I've never heard about that about Buddy Holly before, but the Reeves and JFK stuff, yeah; I guess it's plausible.

I'd be doubtful though that Stan was actively involved, he was pretty elderly by then.
    Even if his evil nature, substantial mean streak and well-documented explosive temper were still intact; he probably just couldn't have physically pulled it off.

Without help.

Just because you read it on the internet dont mean its always true, I would need more solid proof, sorry but he didnt kill her and your proof really has no backing or hard facts.

Just because you read it on the internet dont mean its always true, I would need more solid proof, sorry but he didnt kill her and your proof really has no backing or hard facts.
    How can you be so sure that he didn't?
    You say that like it's a "hard fact"; as if you have proof of him being someplace else or in the company of other people during the entire evening that Thelma died.

Would you say that there is absolutely, no way on earth, by any stretch of the imagination, any possibility that he might have or could have killed her?
    If so, can you share the reason(s) why?

I can't say with complete or utter certainty that he did kill her, can you say with complete certainty that he did not?

By the mid-1930s, both Luciano and the still-powerful Capone mob (Capone was in jail, but Frank Nitti was running matters) were fighting over the Hollywood turf. Luciano was introduced to Todd by her husband, Pat DiCicco, a sometimes movie agent and sometimes errand boy for Luciano. Sparks flew.
    The mobster saw the potential in Toddy's Sidewalk Cafe, a major celebrity hangout opened in 1934 by her and her former lover and former business partner (and, later, another "suspect" in her death) Roland West. Luciano tried to muscle them into letting him open a high-ticket casino in a third-floor storage room. She refused, and, as the story goes, he didn't take kindly to refusals.

Edmonds lays out her evidence with meticulous care, but she still leaves some tasty mystery. She doesn't use the killer's name and won't disclose anything about the home in Beverly Hills where Luciano took Todd on the last night. The home's owner is "quite powerful in Los Angeles."
    "I felt that the killer has not been indicted," she said, "and if the police still don't recognize this as a murder, well, there are still family members around."
    She said that Luciano frequently used the Purple Gang for such assignments. The actual hit man, she related, was just a professional contract killer and "past that, there was nothing glamorous or special about him."
    Edmonds talked obliquely about the man who owned the Beverly Hills home: "I was asked not to identify him and 'I'll tell you what happened.' I felt, why breach a confidence? Why turn around and lie to these people?" (The interview had been set up through an intermediary.)

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-05-..._1_thelma-todd
    Thelma was also close to Lucky I believe what the writer of Hot Toddy says she actually spoke to people who were around at that time and knew Lucky and Thelma.. oh and yes mobsters had women killed if they thought the women were going to squeal or other things that went against the omerta

oh and that article you posted Jim perhaps you should post the rest of it it doesent state hard fact that it was Stan but funny he wasnt listed among the suspects that were. so here is more of the article you didnt post The author interviewed an unnamed source who was with Todd shortly before her death. The source, described as a retired Hollywood executive with underworld ties, provided the author with details of Todd`s last hours and the identity of her murderer. The suspects are numerous, according to Edmonds` account.
    – Todd`s ex-husband, Pat DiCicco, a self-described agent with underworld connections. After one too many beatings, Todd divorced him. He felt humiliated and may have sought revenge.
    – Roland West, a failed director and Todd`s occasional lover. They were co-owners with West`s wife in the Malibu restaurant, Thelma Todd`s Sidewalk Cafe. The three partners lived in a duplex together above the eatery. It was an uncomfortable arrangement, and West bitterly resented Todd`s numerous affairs.
    – Jewel Carmen, West`s wife. She didn`t object to her husband`s liaison with Todd, but when the restaurant started to lose money, she threatened to kill Todd for squandering her investment.
    – Lucky Luciano, a psychopathic mobster, involved in prostitution, gambling and extortion in Los Angeles. Todd had a torturous relationship with the mobster, which included beatings. He also got her hooked on amphetamines. – Alice Todd, Thelma`s mother. She was her daughter`s sole heir, and shortly before Thelma`s death she announced to friends plans to build a huge mansion. Where did she plan to get the money?http://www.foxella.com/everyone-suspected-bg-had-been-killed-everyone-assumed-it-was-the-scorned-wife-of-sc-that-did-it/

Also I found nothing wgere Stan was brought in for questioning or even listed as a suspect, I had a friend dig into some old files for me about the case.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 12-01-2018 at 07:10 PM.

All that seems pretty convincing and compelling at first look.
    But if you read it over a time or two and think about it a bit, you realize that it's like reading some of the JFK conspiracy theories - it requires that a whole lot of people with a wide range of diverse interests and motivations all had to act in concert - some on purpose and some by happenstance - for that series of events to unfold.

That renders it implausible, IMO.

I tend to subscribe to the philosophical principle known as "Occam's Razor".
    Basically, it maintains that if any given situation or occurrence can have two or more possible explanations, then the explanation that requires the least speculation or which is least complex is the better or more likely true explanation.

The simpler, more concise explanation is most probably true:

Stan did it.

Can't get much more concise than that, I'd say.

Jim you still haven't shown hard proof. Yet I have given several examples of mine , no sorry he didn't do it. The MG in your "proof" could be Lucky or hell any mobster not Stan

Jim you still haven't shown hard proof. Yet I have given several examples of mine , no sorry he didn't do it. The MG in your "proof" could be Lucky or hell any mobster not Stan
    I don't think we can say you've presented any proof, sorry.

You've given several well-structured examples of hypothetical scenarios under which people other than Stan might have been involved.
    You've presented conjectures concerning the motivations of those people.

Even if true or partly or largely true, those scenarios do not preclude Stan from having been involved or having been the agent of Thelma's death.

I guess the real question that remains is did he do it because of strictly personal considerations, or was he sucked into a larger scheme because of his gambling debts; a scheme that happily and coincidentally served both his sinister personal aims and also those of additional unrelated principals?

Either way, I think we'd have to call that a "win-win" situation all the way around.
    Except for Thelma, obviously.

One might even say that it rather sucked to be Thelma in the midst of all that hubbub.
    She really should have chosen her friends, lovers, bosses, business associates and co-workers with a bit more discretion.
    Doing so might have spared her some considerable unpleasantries.

Always someone who swears it's dry on a rainy day

Quote Originally Posted by bulletnose View Post
    Always someone who swears it's dry on a rainy day
    And vice-versa.