Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 132

Thread: Laurel & Hardy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392

    Laurel & Hardy

    The early stuff these guys did was funny as hell!

    Check out "Big business"! Great show...silent movie though!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    698
    Laurel and Hardy were brilliant and deserving of every accolade they received.
    They weren't just naturally funny but they were intelligently thought out funny.
    In other words, they were serious in their humor even when it was complete silliness. They knew what they were doing so well, they crafted their scenes perfectly, they read each others actions and reactions flawlessly. They made themselves the butt of the joke and never insulted the audience.
    I guess it's hard to describe but I hope you get my point.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    Laurel and Hardy were brilliant and deserving of every accolade they received.
    They weren't just naturally funny but they were intelligently thought out funny.
    In other words, they were serious in their humor even when it was complete silliness. They knew what they were doing so well, they crafted their scenes perfectly, they read each others actions and reactions flawlessly. They made themselves the butt of the joke and never insulted the audience.
    I guess it's hard to describe but I hope you get my point.

    Very nicely said Tug!! I agree, they were funny without being obscene... just the look on Stan's face when he did something wrong made ya wanna just tell him it'd be ok! Definitely one of the best teams!

  4. #4
    Read that Oliver Hardy was quite the dancer, too. That when he was at nightclubs, women would line up to dance with, not because he was a movie star, but because they loved to dance with him. What little dances I've seen him do in their movies, you can see he was light on his feet.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    96
    My mom still has the masks for both of them about 15 years ago my parents dressed as laurel and hardy. Maybe that is what me and my hubby could be this year.....Pretty cool though that they still have those masks.
    It's better to burn out than fade away......

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Rim
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberlights View Post
    Read that Oliver Hardy was quite the dancer, too. That when he was at nightclubs, women would line up to dance with, not because he was a movie star, but because they loved to dance with him. What little dances I've seen him do in their movies, you can see he was light on his feet.
    Absolutely. In fact, he played football in his younger years.

    I have a book called "Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy" that has a picture of Oliver Hardy posing with a football team made up of studio members. He's younger than we're used to seeing him, but it's unmistakably him.

    I've always liked watching him move around in the L&H movies because he carries himself so well despite his bulk.

    He was always well turned-out, too. He said that he always hated sloppily-dressed fat men. And from what I can tell, he always did his best to make sure he wouldn't fall into that category.
    .
    .
    Free Tibet
    (Limit one per customer)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,895

    I wish they and the Stooges and Marks Bros

    Would have done a mad mad mad mad world type of thing.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,593
    Last edited by hell0kitty; 04-19-2008 at 09:27 PM.
    pull the string!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Tamworth UK
    Posts
    2,282
    I loved Laurel and Hardy when i was little and would love to see their films again, always in trouble with their ladies/wives in them they were hilarious funny without trying not like todays comedy which i don't really find myself laughing as heartily as i did watching those pair and their antics
    classic comedy, the best

  10. #10
    Guest Guest
    Yes nicely said Tugboat.
    I love them.
    I especially like the fact that in real life they always said how well they got along with each other, never arguing, whatever one wanted was okay with the other, that type of thing. Real friendship. I also loved Oliver's singing voice, that man could have had a career as a singer. I wonder if he made any singing records, what I would not give to have those.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    I actually brought my two older daughters up on Laurel & Hardy. They have shown up with boyfriends asking me to show them some Laurel & Hardy videos.

    When they were younger we loved to stay up late and watch Laurel & Hardy!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,593
    watching laurel and hardy movies to me, is like eating 'comfort food' i watch them in order to center myself, and attain some serenity. the lovely thots and feelings i get, to remember my happiest moments of childhood, will be with me til i die. i love 'the boys' and i was a member of the 'way out west' tent in hollywood at one time.
    Last edited by hell0kitty; 04-19-2008 at 09:38 PM.
    pull the string!

  13. #13
    Guest Guest
    my husband watches them too when he needs to feel comforted. I grew up watching them as well thanks to my mother, it was our treat to stay up late some Saturday nights and watch Laurel and Hardy and eat chips (eating chips was quite a treat for us as she didn't allow us much junk food). I liked Abbott and Costello too but not near as much as these two.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bone Orchard, Mass.
    Posts
    1,273
    Laurel & Hardy Trivia:

    Stan Laurel and Charlie Chaplin were very good friends in England, acting in the same troup, Fred Karno Comedians. The two greatest film comedians of all time came to this country on the same boat. Although they lived in the U.S. for decades and became successful here, they never gave up their British citizenship. After Charlie became famous and just before Stan entered movies, Chaplin saw Laurel imitating Chaplin's tramp character on stage. This enraged Chaplin and Chaplin would have nothing more to do with Laurel although they lived within a couple of miles of each other for decades. They did meet once as old men but Stan said the meeting was "strained'"

    Oliver Hardy married a Jew in Atlanta for his first wife which caused him to be disowned by his family for many years. He married her the day Jewish Leo Frank was lynched in Atlanta and the newlyweds had to beat a hasty retreat out of town.

    When Oliver Hardy decided to go into the movie business, he journeyed to the town that was the film capitol of the United States in 1913: Jacksonville, Florida.

    Laurel & Hardy had been in over four hundred films between them when they teamed in 1927.

    Laurel & Hardy were merely low key friends during their film heyday. The led separate lives. Stan was a writer and uncredited director for most of their films and Hardy was obsessed with golf and would leave the studio the second the last take was done. When ever they needed a shot of Hardy looking exasperated, they would wait until the end of the day to do the shot because Hardy was really exasperated jonesing for the golf course. After their film career tanked, they did live appearances in Europe and at that time they finally became very close friends.

    Director George Stevens got his start filming Laurel & Hardy movies. Director Leo McCarey's first stars he directed were Laurel & Hardy.

    In the early 1930's, Laurel & Hardy movies made more money in Latin America than they did in the U.S. They are more loved amd remembered there than they are here. In the early days of talking film, the technology for over-dubbing did not exist, so L&H's producer would have L&H do their American film over speaking Spanish phonetically. Their odd inflection of Spanish was unintentionally funny to the Latin Americans, which endeared L&H to them. L&H also made French & German versions also. They made some of their films four times this way.

    I really love these guys. Here is a photo of Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel at the Conteinnental divide in 1913, before their fame. That is they in the middle standing with Charlie's arm on Stan's shoulder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MagnusDippytack; 04-20-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: smelling, I mean spelling
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    521

    Oliver Hardy and Bing Crosby

    I remember reading one time that they were very good friends. I think that they sang together a few times, in small clubs and such.

    Can anyone verify this?

    Regarding Stan, he was very good friends with Dick Van Dyke in his later years. In one episode of the DVD Show, they did a skit of Laurel and hardy. I'm told that Laurel enjoyed it very much.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    I actually brought my two older daughters up on Laurel & Hardy. They have shown up with boyfriends asking me to show them some Laurel & Hardy videos.

    When they were younger we loved to stay up late and watch Laurel & Hardy!
    My dad actually did the same thing with my sister and me! When we were younger, my dad was always watching black and white movies, etc .. we have seen all of the Laurel and Hardy shorts, Marx Brothers, and love them all!!

    My favorite L&H short has got to be "Blotto" .. I crack up everytime I watch that one!! During prohibition and they sneak what they thought to be "liquor" into the nightclub ..

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    I remember reading one time that they were very good friends. I think that they sang together a few times, in small clubs and such.

    Can anyone verify this?

    Regarding Stan, he was very good friends with Dick Van Dyke in his later years. In one episode of the DVD Show, they did a skit of Laurel and hardy. I'm told that Laurel enjoyed it very much.
    Thats what I read too, that they really loved each other as friends and when Oliver died, Stan took it very hard. Also, I thought I read something about Oliver being with his little brother when they were younger and while swimming, his little brother drowned. Oliver was devastated and full of guilt that he wasn't able to save him.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Laurel & Hardy Trivia:

    Stan Laurel and Charlie Chaplin were very good friends in England, acting in the same troup, Fred Karno Comedians. The two greatest film comedians of all time came to this country on the same boat. Although they lived in the U.S. for decades and became successful here, they never gave up their British citizenship. After Charlie became famous and just before Stan entered movies, Chaplin saw Laurel imitating Chaplin's tramp character on stage. This enraged Chaplin and Chaplin would have nothing more to do with Laurel although they lived within a couple of miles of each other for decades. They did meet once as old men but Stan said the meeting was "strained'"

    Oliver Hardy married a Jew in Atlanta for his first wife which caused him to be disowned by his family for many years. He married her the day Jewish Leo Frank was lynched in Atlanta and the newlyweds had to beat a hasty retreat out of town.

    When Oliver Hardy decided to go into the movie business, he journeyed to the town that was the film capitol of the United States in 1913: Jacksonville, Florida.

    Laurel & Hardy had been in over four hundred films between them when they teamed in 1927.

    Laurel & Hardy were merely low key friends during their film heyday. The led separate lives. Stan was a writer and uncredited director for most of their films and Hardy was obsessed with golf and would leave the studio the second the last take was done. When ever they needed a shot of Hardy looking exasperated, they would wait until the end of the day to do the shot because Hardy was really exasperated jonesing for the golf course. After their film career tanked, they did live appearances in Europe and at that time they finally became very close friends.

    Director George Stevens got his start filming Laurel & Hardy movies. Director Leo McCarey's first stars he directed were Laurel & Hardy.

    In the early 1930's, Laurel & Hardy movies made more money in Latin America than they did in the U.S. They are more loved amd remembered there than they are here. In the early days of talking film, the technology for over-dubbing did not exist, so L&H's producer would have L&H do their American film over speaking Spanish phonetically. Their odd inflection of Spanish was unintentionally funny to the Latin Americans, which endeared L&H to them. L&H also made French & German versions also. They made some of their films four times this way.

    I really love these guys. Here is a photo of Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel at the Conteinnental divide in 1913, before their fame. That is they in the middle standing with Charlie's arm on Stan's shoulder.
    Great post Magnus. I enjoyed getting all that information.
    I love Laurel and Hardy but oddly enough, I think Chaplin was very overrated.

    I realize his significance and I don't mean to diminish his accomplishments but something "arrogant" or "ego-centric" always struck me about that guy.

    Like an "I'm the GREAT Chaplin and you're not" kind of thing.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bone Orchard, Mass.
    Posts
    1,273
    Chaplin was an egotist. He was the worst kind, the egotist who was an actual genius. When Charlie was very old in Swizterland, Geraldine Chaplin brought her latest squeeze to meet her father. During the ensuing conversation, Geraldine's boyfriend expressed an admiration for Keaton. Charlie Chaplin became indignant and said "I gave him work" and left the room.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Chaplin was an egotist. He was the worst kind, the egotist who was an actual genius. When Charlie was very old in Swizterland, Geraldine Chaplin brought her latest squeeze to meet her father. During the ensuing conversation, Geraldine's boyfriend expressed an admiration for Keaton. Charlie Chaplin became indignant and said "I gave him work" and left the room.
    Very interesting.
    I'm not surprised though.
    I find it hard to be a fan of a guy (no matter how talented) who is so obviously a Tool.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bone Orchard, Mass.
    Posts
    1,273
    Something very heartbreaking about Stan Laurel,
    If you go to Corbis.com and check out the Stan Laurel pictures, you will see a news photo of Stan holding newborn Stan, Jr. Stan Sr. is so happy in this picture holding his greatly anticipated son. Five days after the picture was taken, Stan, Jr. died. Stan never had another child. His daughter Lois still lives in Los Angeles.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Something very heartbreaking about Stan Laurel,
    If you go to Corbis.com and check out the Stan Laurel pictures, you will see a news photo of Stan holding newborn Stan, Jr. Stan Sr. is so happy in this picture holding his greatly anticipated son. Five days after the picture was taken, Stan, Jr. died. Stan never had another child. His daughter Lois still lives in Los Angeles.
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    I see pics of Stan and Oliver and I think they look like two really good guys.
    I particularly like that photograph of them posing together as older men. You can see the friendship in that picture.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Utah, How f'ing exciting is that.
    Posts
    6,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    I see pics of Stan and Oliver and I think they look like two really good guys.
    I particularly like that photograph of them posing together as older men. You can see the friendship in that picture.
    I do believe Stan never worked again after Oliver died. Nor did he want to after he lost his partner.

  24. #24
    I remember, long ago, seeing an interview with Oliver Hardy. He wasn't wearing the little hat and the jacket that was way too small and the tie that only went halfway down his chest and the turned up collar. Instead, he wore a nicely tailored suit and tie, and spoke very intelligently. He came across almost like a highly successful business executive -- not the buffoon he played in the movies.

    I was just a kid and it shocked me so much I still remember it clearly.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,085
    Years ago we used to have a Shakeys Pizza in the town I used to live in. On the weekends they would bring out the projector and show Laurel & Hardy movies. Always a hit !!!! Big treat in those days before the average Joe had a VCR.

    Stan Laurel I heard was offered a role in the classic "Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad World" but he said no to the role becuase he didn't want his fans to see him being an old man. Plus the fact that Hardy had already passed on, I believe that played a part in his decision to say no as well.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bone Orchard, Mass.
    Posts
    1,273
    Jerry Lewis offered Stan work in his movies and Stan declined saying he just could not get Lewis' humor. Lewis offered Stan a LOT of money which the modestly living Stan did refuse. Most old actors in that position would have leeched all they could off of Lewis. Lewis did not let that stop him as he used a Laurel imitator in THE BELLBOY.
    Another factor in Stan's refusing roles late in life was that his health was not good and it would have been hard to insure him.

    Oliver Hardy still took roles outside the team, most notably in John Wayne's THE FIGHTING KENTUCKIAN. It is said Hardy helped get the young Wayne bit parts in films in the late '[20's before Hardy was teamed with Laurel.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Waltham Abbey in Essex & Filey In Yorkshire UK
    Posts
    469
    My Favourite line from any Film Ever
    Ollie - "I'm sorry I can't hear you, my ear is full of milk!"

    Can't remember the title of the film but it's the one where they have to find a travelling companion for a long journey to share the cost

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scarborough, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Jerry Lewis offered Stan work in his movies and Stan declined saying he just could not get Lewis' humor.[20's before Hardy was teamed with Laurel.
    I respect Stan even more now.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    960
    lOVE THEM!

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    75
    Here's something I did a couple of years ago when I visited LA:

    The Music Box Steps--Then & Now


    In December of 1931 in the Silver Lake area of Los Angeles Laurel & Hardy made The Music Box. It went on to win the Oscar for Best Short Subject in 1932. Despite Stan and Ollie both being in the midst of painful divorces, the men were at the peak of their artistry.


    Susie the horse pulls up on Del Monte St

    The same corner in 2006
    Last edited by blair; 04-23-2008 at 01:20 PM.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    75
    The location of these steps was a mystery for quite a while. In 1955 a fan wrote Stan Laurel a letter asking about their location. Laurel wrote back: '"Yes, they were...off Hollywood Boulevard. They would be hard to find now I imagine, due to so many houses being built around them, and also many of those sections have been cleared to make way for new freeways. I really don't think I would know where they are -- things have changed so much in recent years."

    In 1969, actor Billy Gilbert offered to help.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    75
    Mr. Gilbert, a very nice man by all accounts, took a group of fans to an outdoor staircase in Silver Lake. Problem was, it wasn't the right one. Memories are like that. In the late '70s sharp eyed fan Richard Bann noticed a street sign in this scene:

    See street sign in upper right corner--mystery solved

    The view in 2006

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    75
    So Stan was close. The staircase was just off Sunset Boulevard at 923 Vendome Street. In 1994 a sign and a plaque were placed at this location.

    Other reports on the internet about The Music Box Steps have mentioned things like gang graffiti and snarling dogs behind fences along the steps, but I found the neighborhood to be quite pleasant, except for the guy working on his car who kept me from getting the precise angle I wanted to take this 'then and now' shot:


  34. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    75
    Up the steps:

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    75

    In the above pic, Stan & Ollie are almost at the top of the steps. This is the front of that house today:


    You can see the back porch archway of the house in this side view

    It looks like an ok place to live. LA kicks ass.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scarborough, Ontario, Canada.
    Posts
    26
    Blair - GREAT work. A real treat. Thanks. I believe Scott took us past these steps on the DD Tour.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    646
    Thanks for posting that, Blair. I really enjoy stuff like that!

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bone Orchard, Mass.
    Posts
    1,273
    Thank you Blair! The Stooges did the same thing with an icebox, but I believe those sets of stairs are a couple of blocks down the street.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bone Orchard, Mass.
    Posts
    1,273
    Since this is a death hag site, I will relate the deaths of Stan & Ollie (or Babe as his friends called him).
    When Oliver Hardy returned with Stan from their last tour of Britain in 1954, Hardy had several heart attacks due to his weight. The sad truth is that Hardy was a gambling addict and wanted to tour again for more funds. His doctor said no way with his weight the way it was, it would be suicide. Hardy got his act together and he lost a lot of weight and his health improved. I have the last picture of L&H together in 1956 and Hardy isn't the least bit overweight and is unrecognizable. Although a big man, Hardy did not become obese until 1938 (in 1935, he doesn't even have a gut), but the near twenty years of that condition had done their damage and a week after the aforementioned photo-op, Hardy suffered a massive stroke and was bedridden for the next year, the rest of his life. He could not speak and was paralyzed. He had massive brain damage and could not absorb reading or TV. Hardy had burned through so much money that he had to sell his home to pay the medical bills and he moved in with his mother-in-law. In early August of 1957 Hardy died after two weeks in a coma, which was a blessing because he had been just diagnosed with colon cancer. He was 65 and weighed a mere hundred pounds and he was 6'2".

    Laurel had been a heavy drinker for most of his adult life. It caused him to get fired from some of the studios he worked with. In 1938 he was arrested for DUI wearing nothing but his boxers. He also smoked two packs a day. I'm sure being married six times took a toll on him too. One wife knocked him unconcious for a whole day with a frying pan. In 1955, just as L&H were scheduled to start their TV series, Stan had a major stroke which took him over a year to recover, but recover he did. By the time he was ready to work, Hardy had his sidelining stroke which ended his career. Stan had diabeties and in 1960 he quit drinking cold turkey for the rest of his days, but the damage was done there also. In February of 1965 Stan had a major heart attack and was beddridden in his home. His live-in nurse came in one day and Stan told hiim he wished he could be skiing. The nurse told Stan he had no idea Stan skied. To which Stan said, "I don't, but I would rather be doing that than doing this." and right then Stan closed his eyes and died. He was 74.

    To quote a L&H scholar "We will never see their like again".
    Last edited by MagnusDippytack; 04-23-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,593
    blair, those pics were great, i have been there many times and its like a shrine to me of 'the boys' lol i watch that pic over and over because each time i see a nuance of comedy that was totally brilliant. i loved billy gilbert 'and i professor FFF and F???? should go around???!!!! "

    my later father worked as a film editor in the late forties and early fifties for consolidated films. he would have to visit the old hal roach studios many times. one day he ran into 'jimmy finlayson' the boys old nemesis, and he did his old 'squint' for him. what wonderful days!!!! why or why did they tear down the hal roach studios!

    send in the clowns....
    pull the string!

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,593
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Since this is a death hag site, I will relate the deaths of Stan & Ollie (or Babe as his friends called him).
    When Oliver Hardy returned with Stan from their last tour of Britain in 1954, Hardy had several heart attacks due to his weight. The sad truth is that Hardy was a gambling addict and wanted to tour again for more funds. His doctor said no way with his weight the way it was, it would be suicide. Hardy got his act together and he lost a lot of weight and his health improved. I have the last picture of L&H together in 1956 and Hardy isn't the least bit overweight and is unrecognizable. Although a big man, Hardy did not become obese until 1938 (in 1935, he doesn't even have a gut), but the near twenty years of that condition had done their damage and a week after the aforementioned photo-op, Hardy suffered a massive stroke and was bedridden for the next year, the rest of his life. He could not speak and was paralyzed. He had massive brain damage and could not absorb reading or TV. Hardy had burned through so much money that he had to sell his home to pay the medical bills and he moved in with his mother-in-law. In early August of 1957 Hardy died after two weeks in a coma, which was a blessing because he had been just diagnosed with colon cancer. He was 65 and weighed a mere hundred pounds and he was 6'2".

    Laurel had been a heavy drinker for most of his adult life. It caused him to get fired from some of the studios he worked with. In 1938 he was arrested for DUI wearing nothing but his boxers. He also smoked two packs a day. I'm sure being married six times took a toll on him too. One wife knocked him unconcious for a whole day with a frying pan. In 1955, just as L&H were scheduled to start their TV series, Stan had a major stroke which took him over a year to recover, but recover he did. By the time he was ready to work, Hardy had his sidelining stroke which ended his career. Stan had diabeties and in 1960 he quit drinking cold turkey for the rest of his days, but the damage was done there also. In February of 1965 Stan had a major heart attack and was beddridden in his home. His live-in nurse came in one day and Stan told hiim he wished he could be skiing. The nurse told Stan he had no idea Stan skied. To which Stan said, "I don't, but I would rather be doing that than doing this." and right then Stan closed his eyes and died. He was 74.

    To quote a L&H scholar "We will never see their like again".
    does anyone know what became of lois laurel, daughter of stan???
    pull the string!

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bone Orchard, Mass.
    Posts
    1,273
    Lois is living quietly in the Valley somewhere. She attends many Sins of the Desert conventions though being 80 she has slowed down quite a bit. She was once married to a Gone With The Wind actor Rand Brooks.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

  43. #43
    Guest Guest
    yes Oliver did look totally unrecognizable when he lost weight, there is a home video somewhere on You Tube of one of their last times spent together just before he died (with Stan) and at first I thought it was a big fake video then realized by looking more close it was really Oliver in a much skinnier body. ps I do not care for charlie chaplin either not one bit.

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,593
    why is it i feel the same way bout chaplin? never cared for the man, his work, or him either. nothing like 'the boys'! i loved the many duets they would sing, and the little dances they'd do. dear sweet men!
    pull the string!

  45. #45
    L&H were definitely the funniest duo, I think the best 'single' funniest actor was Buster Keaton with Harold Lloyd a very close second.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    I do believe Stan never worked again after Oliver died. Nor did he want to after he lost his partner.

    Thats what I thought I remember reading. I remember hearing when they went to Europe, they were mobbed by fans. It just blew their minds because they were so humble.

    Hey Dan, thats one hawt avatar.

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    1,417
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M
    every time i talk to the student loan people i feel like this
    LOL
    Lou: You know what? You've got spunk.Mary: Well, yes…Lou: I hate spunk.

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    698
    I think it's cool that people 80 or so years later still talk about (and care about) Laurel and Hardy.
    There's just something great about that. That's pretty darn impressive. A great accomplishment for Stan and Ollie.

    (I still think Chaplin was an overrated hack though! Ha!)

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    1,417
    i remember watching them on sunday mornings on tv after church when i was little... i loved them
    Lou: You know what? You've got spunk.Mary: Well, yes…Lou: I hate spunk.

  50. #50
    An up to date musical version?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHjT-TEqLBs

    Watch, laugh and enjoy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •