Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lane Frost

Queen_Death_Hag Guest

Lane Frost

Anyone else remember him? The Movie 8 Seconds with Luke Perry is about him.

Lane Frost (October 12, 1963 in La Junta, ColoradoJuly 30, 1989 in Cheyenne, Wyoming) was a professional bull rider and Professional RodeoCowboy Association member, who died as a result of injuries sustained in the arena at the 1989 Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo seconds after he dismounted his bull "Taking Care of Business," and was later taken off the riding circuit.

On July 30, 1989, at the Cheyenne Frontier DaysRodeo in Cheyenne, Wyoming, after completing a successful 85-point ride on a bull named “Taking Care of Business”, Frost landed in the mud. The bull turned and hit him in the side with his horn, breaking some ribs and severing a main artery. Lane initially got to his feet and started running toward the bucking chutes. However, as he was motioning for help, he collapsed. Due to excessive internal bleeding, he died on the arena floor before he could be transported to the hospital. Frost actually finished 3rd in the event. As for "Taking Care of Business", he went on to appear in the 1990 National Finals Rodeo.

HIs official website:
    http://www.lanefrost.com/

Egads! What a horrible way to go. Dont fuck with bulls. Rodeos are just boring and cruel, in my opinion. Dont ride that motherfucker, serve him sizzling on my plate!
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

smellslikealmonds Guest
    I saw the movie 8 Seconds about 1000 times. Not sure how accurate it was though.

cherryghost Guest
    Beautiful blue eyes! Rodeos are not that romantic!

RaRaRamona Guest
    I never saw the movie but I remember what a big deal he was. I lived in Alabama for a few years...I never got it but everyone else sure did.

He does look like he was a sweetie though. Luke Perry did look a little like him.

I've been to his grave. Where he is buried is pretty cool as there are a lot of old circus performers buried there also. I think about 4 or 5 circuses still winter there.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Jaxxx Guest
    Thanks for this thread, I just loved Lane Frost, he was Garth Brooks hero

Ruffian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikealmonds View Post
    I saw the movie 8 Seconds about 1000 times. Not sure how accurate it was though.
    After seeing that movie, I had to read more about it. From what I've read, the movie was not that accurate when it came to his personal life. His friends and family said that his life was extremely happy. The conflict they put in the film regarding his wife was nonsense but apparently they needed something or it wouldn't be an interesting movie and they also overdramatized the "death bull" thing. I still enjoy the film, tho and I always cry at the end when they show pictures of the real people at the end.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen_Death_Hag View Post
    Anyone else remember him? The Movie 8 Seconds with Luke Perry is about him.

Lane Frost (October 12, 1963 in La Junta, Colorado ?? July 30, 1989 in Cheyenne, Wyoming) was a professional bull rider and Professional RodeoCowboy Association member, who died as a result of injuries sustained in the arena at the 1989 Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo seconds after he dismounted his bull "Taking Care of Business," and was later taken off the riding circuit.

On July 30, 1989, at the Cheyenne Frontier DaysRodeo in Cheyenne, Wyoming, after completing a successful 85-point ride on a bull named ??Taking Care of Business?, Frost landed in the mud. The bull turned and hit him in the side with his horn, breaking some ribs and severing a main artery. Lane initially got to his feet and started running toward the bucking chutes. However, as he was motioning for help, he collapsed. Due to excessive internal bleeding, he died on the arena floor before he could be transported to the hospital. Frost actually finished 3rd in the event. As for "Taking Care of Business", he went on to appear in the 1990 National Finals Rodeo.

HIs official website:
    http://www.lanefrost.com/

wow, his death was very, very sudden and unexpected!

lisalouver Guest
    I was going to post about this a few days ago and then I got caught up in the Heath hoopla!

Thanks for posting it.

I saw the movie numerous times also and loved it. It was accurate to a point. Yea, the part about him and Kellie cheating on each other they family says is not true, but who knows? Family would not be apt to say yea they were cheaters. For whatever reason, it is true that they seperated for a while and did get back together shortly before his death. She was also not in Cheyenne when Lane was killed. She remarried four years after his death and had two kids right away. She stays out of the press totally and I have never seen a picture of her other than the ones with Lane.

His parents are still alive also. Lane is buried next to his friend and mentor, Freckles the rodeo clown.

Tuff Hedeman and Cody Lambert were his two very best friends and Cody patented a special vest for bull riders to wear after his death. I loved Baldwin's performance of Tuff in the movie.

What a loss, he really was a great person.

majcm Guest
    Wow, I see this thread is older, but after just watching 8 Seconds again for the 12th time, does anyone know of any footage on the net of that last ride? At the end of the movie, they show many videos of the real Lane riding and there is one where he is thrown WAY up in the air and when he kinda crawls/stands up he is holding his chest.

But from reading the site www.lanefrost.com (great site) they show still pictures from that ride and it'sa different shirt he has on. I've check youtube, live leak, and Yahoo video. Anyone know where I could find the whole ride?

Seagorath Guest
    I've seen clear footage of Lane Frost's last moments. The bull's horn goes right under his ribs and punctures his vital organs...pretty painful to watch... It does exist though.

pvezz Guest
    Here's his grave:

lovemymonkey Guest
    I dont have many "hero's", but he is one of mine. A great person, died doing what he loved.

malaki Guest
    I can't feel sorry for someone who rode bulls for a living....I think bullriding and horseriding are just plain cruel to the animals, Whenever I come across these shows on tv and you see the bullrider being chased, I can't help but root for the bull....

KristinEileen Guest
    The tribute website for him gives exact directions to his grave...

I remember having the soundtrack to this movie on cassette and wearing it down to nothing from listening to it so much..Heck of a way to go and a great movie..So sad

I don't really get the attraction to riding a one ton animal that desperately wants to get you off its back. He was awfully young and what a bummer of a way to go!

I couldn't find footage of Lane's accident is on YouTube, but there is footage of his buddy Tuff Heademan getting his face bashed in buy a bull.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

lovemymonkey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by malaki View Post
    I can't feel sorry for someone who rode bulls for a living....I think bullriding and horseriding are just plain cruel to the animals, Whenever I come across these shows on tv and you see the bullrider being chased, I can't help but root for the bull....
    My horse weighs almost 1300 pounds, and if she thought me riding her was cruel, she'd get me off in a nano second.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemymonkey View Post
    My horse weighs almost 1300 pounds, and if she thought me riding her was cruel, she'd get me off in a nano second.
    There's a difference between a regular saddle for a horse and and a strap around their back end to make them buck like that (bulls also).

I too feel rodeos are cruel. What about roping them calves?

lovemymonkey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    There's a difference between a regular saddle for a horse and and a strap around their back end to make them buck like that (bulls also).

I too feel rodeos are cruel. What about roping them calves?
    I was replying to Malaki in regards to the comment riding horses was cruel. I'm so not gonna debate rodeo because I basicly like everyone that posts here, ROFL

I was able to see him ride Red Rock in 1988. Far and away one of the most incredible things I have ever seen.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Lita Guest
    I absolutely love the movie. I cry every time at the end when Tuff rides for Lane and when Kelly looks down into the arena, she sees Lane. I don't know how accurate that bit is but it is very sad. Actually I cry when I see them carrying his casket and the tears go from there. Somebody who watched the movie said that she did some "research" on Lane and found out he was a big drug user. I don't know what research she did though. I'm betting she just looked at websites about him where some asshat wrote something not true. BTW, Rene Zellweger is in the movie 8 Seconds.

wilkhall Guest

Lane Frost, Bull Rider

I knew about this guy, apparently he was a pretty nice guy and great bull rider, he was killed in 1989. I think there is footbage of his last ride where he was killed, I did not really look. there is as movie called 8 seconds which is decent. Alot of info on him on the web, sad story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Frost

www.lanefrost.com

Very sad. RIP Lane.

Frazzzld Kat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wilkhall View Post
    I knew about this guy, apparently he was a pretty nice guy and great bull rider, he was killed in 1989. I think there is footbage of his last ride where he was killed, I did not really look. there is as movie called 8 seconds which is decent. Alot of info on him on the web, sad story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Frost

www.lanefrost.com
    A friend of mine knew him and said he really was a nice guy. I remember seeing the footage when it happened. Its really not that bad. The bull got him in the leg and hit a main artery. When he tried to get up and walk away he collapsed and died. It was sad. RIP Lane Frost

Mulvaness Guest
    I thought a rib broke and punctured his lung or hit his artery that way? anyway..
    RIP Lane...

I heard the movie "8 Seconds" is fictionalized in some of it. Lane never cheated on his wife, for one - like portrayed in the movie.

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    If any of you that are interested in Pro Rodeo get out to Colorado, you might want to think about visiting the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame and Museum in Colorado Springs. It has most of the Pro Rodeo riders of the past and some from the present. Lane Frost is well represented there, as well as Tuff Hedeman and Ty Murray. There's also a special section honoring the most famous of the bulls that were the riders' nemesis.
    They show a short video of the history of rodeo before you tour the Hall of Fame. It is excellent. Rodeo is a major part of Western American history.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I was going to post about this a few days ago and then I got caught up in the Heath hoopla!

Thanks for posting it.

I saw the movie numerous times also and loved it. It was accurate to a point. Yea, the part about him and Kellie cheating on each other they family says is not true, but who knows? Family would not be apt to say yea they were cheaters. For whatever reason, it is true that they seperated for a while and did get back together shortly before his death. She was also not in Cheyenne when Lane was killed. She remarried four years after his death and had two kids right away. She stays out of the press totally and I have never seen a picture of her other than the ones with Lane.

His parents are still alive also. Lane is buried next to his friend and mentor, Freckles the rodeo clown.

Tuff Hedeman and Cody Lambert were his two very best friends and Cody patented a special vest for bull riders to wear after his death. I loved Baldwin's performance of Tuff in the movie.

What a loss, he really was a great person.
    I know this seems disrespectful, and I don't mean to be, but did I miss something with Heath....or are you talking about 2008???

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I heard the movie "8 Seconds" is fictionalized in some of it. Lane never cheated on his wife, for one - like portrayed in the movie.
    According to his website about only half the movie was true. One interesting fact was that he had an older sister and younger brother. They were not mentioned in the final script.

His father Clyde was also portrayed incorrectly.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Cat_AmmaKittehKat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by suzycreamcheese View Post
    I know this seems disrespectful, and I don't mean to be, but did I miss something with Heath....or are you talking about 2008???
    That post isn't recent ma pet!

that garth brooks rodeo song seems to be pretty accurate of its pull for the riders.

i don't want to be in the ring with a bull,but i would take my chances with a cape and a sword rather than tryin to ride one.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

25 years ago today RIP Lane

Damn. That makes me feel old.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    I've just looked for the death video and I can't find it. Does anyone know where it is? It's hard to believe it doesn't exist somewhere. I didn't even find any pictures of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Egads! What a horrible way to go. Dont fuck with bulls. Rodeos are just boring and cruel, in my opinion. Dont ride that motherfucker, serve him sizzling on my plate!
    Agreed.

Wow 25 years. Hard to believe. Time flies.

ozzysmom Guest
    Last edited by ozzysmom; 07-31-2014 at 08:26 AM. Reason: add comment

Quote Originally Posted by ozzysmom View Post
    Damn. You can tell he knew what was happening. I imagine he knew he was dying. It didn't take long.

ozzysmom Guest
    Yeah that was really fast

I've seen the movie 8 seconds a few times. This story always broke my heart....I'm glad to see his wife Kelly moved on and had a family. RIP Lane.

Article on how Lane's widow went on after his death. I've tried to post the link to the article and a current pic of Kellie and her husband but it has to many characters. So, Her name is Kellie Macy and she is married to Mike. If you have FB and type in her name you can see a current pic of her. If you google her name you should be able to read the article that was written about her. The author of the article is Hoffman.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzysmom View Post
    Thanks. I think I may have seen the entire thing before. If I remember right the actual thing that killed him didn't look that bad at all.

Strange that it's so hard to find the video. Obviously it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    Strange that it's so hard to find the video. Obviously it exists.
    I know. You'd think it would be everywhere. Pretty weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUv-_an7inY

The entire ride. The clown is blocking the view but you can see how the bull's horns move him forward.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tamiele View Post

The entire ride. The clown is blocking the view but you can see how the bull's horns move him forward.

I posted a video above that shows him getting up after he was gored, walking, motioning for help then falling and dying. Good find on this video, hadn't seen the whole ride until now. Thanks for sharing it!

Wow, nice find. Thanks. You know if we splice both of your vids together at the right time we'd almost have the entire scene. With his injuries it's pretty amazing he was able to get up and walk at all.

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    Wow, nice find. Thanks. You know if we splice both of your vids together at the right time we'd almost have the entire scene. With his injuries it's pretty amazing he was able to get up and walk at all.

You're right! I was shocked also. That bulls horn was frigging enormous! Can you imagine the size of the hole it made??

Nice find! Totally eluded me!

Ozzysmom - I watched your video and it just popped up along the right hand side of the screen - where they list other related videos on youtube. I didn't have to search, just got lucky. I think the heading made it impossible to find.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.