Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Proper Thread Titles

Proper Thread Titles

Seeing as I never really complain about much around here () I just wanted to state my opinion about thread titles. A lot of people who are recently dropping dead seem to have the word "DEAD" next to their name. If they died and are in the DEAD section isn't it obvious that they are dead?

Heath Ledger & Brad Renfro are perfect examples... anyway, that's it for my OCD rant, thanks for listening.

If the Heath Ledger thread hadn't had the word dead in the title I wouldn't have looked (until it got to 1,000 posts; then I would have looked out of curiosity...then I would have been po-ed I'd missed everything.)

You don't mess with friggin Dave Coulier click here to mess

seriously? the fact his name was listed in the DEATH section wouldn't have clued you in to the fact he may be dead?

Still think it's not necessary... why not put "Elvis Dead" or "Judy Garland Dead"?

Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    seriously? the fact his name was listed in the DEATH section wouldn't have clued you in to the fact he may be dead?

Still think it's not necessary... why not put "Elvis Dead" or "Judy Garland Dead"?
    For one thing I almost always go to "New Posts" so I don't what section the threads are posted in. For another thing there are threads started with just a name that are NOT about a decedent so how am I to know?

because the forum is broken down into two sections... Life and Death. I've never done it the way you mentioned so for me it's like reading "DEAD: Heath Ledger Dead". And yes I know I'm not the only one using this forum but I figured more people on here were checking the home page first and going through the categories they so wish to view. Either way... it is redundant when properly using the forum but you disagree, cool with me.

I never go to certain sections when visiting this forum. My first point of contact is always "New Posts". Sometimes there's so many threads I have to look up my own member name, just to keep up with whatever posts and threads I was on.

The only time I've ever paid attention to the subsection titles is if I'm seraching before posting, but that's all. If the "New Posts" option was not available at the front and center of the page, I would go by the sections of course. Nice to have options .
    Goodbye Porpoise Spit!

I never even thought of doing it that way, guess I can see why one would throw "DEAD" by the name... still think just seeing the name "HEATH LEDGER" would clue somebody in on a DEATH forum that something may be up and they would click anyway (regardless of having the word "dead" next to it).

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
    I never go to certain sections when visiting this forum. My first point of contact is always "New Posts". Sometimes there's so many threads I have to look up my own member name, just to keep up with whatever posts and threads I was on.
    I view new posts as well. I usually have no clue what category I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
    The only time I've ever paid attention to the subsection titles is if I'm seraching before posting, but that's all. If the "New Posts" option was not available at the front and center of the page, I would go by the sections of course. Nice to have options .
    Use the subscribe to thread feature, on the right hand side of the first post of a thread, under "thread tools" and subscribe to a thread.

As well, in your user cp under optiions/Default Thread Subscription Mode, you can select to automatically subscribe to a thread when you reply to a post, and get an email when someone else posts to that thread. It makes life much easier.

I never even thought of doing it that way, guess I can see why one would throw "DEAD" by the name... still think just seeing the name "HEATH LEDGER" would clue somebody in on a DEATH forum that something may be up and they would click anyway (regardless of having the word "dead" next to it).
    Nah, Betty Broderick has her own thread in the "Other deaths in the news" section, and that woman is very much alive. It's her ex and the bimbo she offed.
    Goodbye Porpoise Spit!

which goes back to my original point... "properly titling threads".

I do the same as others, once I sign in I automatically hit the "new posts" at the top. I don't know what section they are in, just that they are new..and if the Heath Ledger thread hadn't had DEAD in the title, I wouldn't have noticed it quite so fast!!

well then I stand corrected.

<still think it's redundant... but understand why it is done>

which goes back to my original point... "properly titling threads".
    But it was proper to the original poster, and the near 90 posts and three pages her thread has collected since it's conception. Not bad for a death site where the woman isn't even dead yet. Ah well.
    Goodbye Porpoise Spit!

It's usually proper to the original poster or else they wouldn't post it... the fact people caught wind of what was going on inside and posted like crazy isn't a credit to how it was titled.

Anyway, I realize why "DEAD" being in the title makes it easier for others now, thank you.

It's always proper to the original poster... the fact people caught wind of what was going on inside and posted like crazy isn't a credit to how it was titled.

Anyway, I realize why "DEAD" being in the title makes it easier for others now.
    As long as we don't see "Jason DEAD" in the title. Shoooot, a thread like that would put the Ledger thread to shame .
    Goodbye Porpoise Spit!

Awww... how sweet and full of shit you are

I use the "new posts" button too. Looks like you're in the minority here Jason.

JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE
    Rest in peace sweet baby Caylee. The world loves you and will see to it that you get the justice you deserve.

you think?

Seeing as I never really complain about much around here () I just wanted to state my opinion about thread titles. A lot of people who are recently dropping dead seem to have the word "DEAD" next to their name. If they died and are in the DEAD section isn't it obvious that they are dead?

Heath Ledger & Brad Renfro are perfect examples... anyway, that's it for my OCD rant, thanks for listening.

I didn't know who Heath Ledger was and I certainly didn't know he was dead so I found the thread title "Heath Ledger Dead" was rather helpful.

Having the word dead after the name renders the reader the sense of immediacy. Something not particulary required with a star such as Elvis, for example.

The fact that it was all over Sky News for the next fuckin' ten hours kinda helped too.

Still don't give a shit about the bloke, Feel sorry for his family though.

Good point Axl.

Good point Axl.

Which one?

Mainly the first one.. but they all got better as you continued (although the last one was a bit rough)

so... good point, great point, EXCELLENT POINT followed by a Sour point.

Mainly the first one.. but they all got better as you continued (although the last one was a bit rough)

so... good point, great point, EXCELLENT POINT followed by a Sour point.

Good point.

which one?

The first and second were ok, but the third took the cake.

When you guys pull up the forum's new posts, you don't see what section they're in on the far right at all? That's odd. I've always been able to.

Life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    When you guys pull up the forum's new posts, you don't see what section they're in on the far right at all? That's odd. I've always been able to.
    Yes they are listed there on the right, but we're looking for the new posts that we have missed, not paying attention to the forum.
    As was brought up in an earlier post, when they put DEAD next to the name it give it the urgency to read it, where as we all know Elvis is dead.

That's true but I hardly ever look - I don't have a reason to b/c I don't normally care where the thread originated. This is why I don't notice when a topic is in the wrong section.

Ok, just wanted to be clear on whether you guys could see them or not. I already took a screenshot and everything, LOL. Oh well, we don't need it now. I get you.

Life goes on.

Ok, just wanted to be clear on whether you guys could see them or not. I already took a screenshot and everything, LOL. Oh well, we don't need it now. I get you.
    You should post it anyway! Someone might need it. I didn't know until page 30 (approx) in the heath thread that you could click the replies link & see stats on who posted & how many times in a certain thread.

This is what I see when I hit New Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bake View Post
    Yes they are listed there on the right, but we're looking for the new posts that we have missed, not paying attention to the forum.
    As was brought up in an earlier post, when they put DEAD next to the name it give it the urgency to read it, where as we all know Elvis is dead.
    Ahhh... so because you aren't paying attention I am suppose to make your life easier by putting DEAD next to their name? you got some nerve BAKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    You should post it anyway! Someone might need it. I didn't know until page 30 (approx) in the heath thread that you could click the replies link & see stats on who posted & how many times in a certain thread.
    you mean the "stalker" button? yes apparently somebody used that on me yesterday.

Axl... that's funny. Can you click the "Anti-alias" button next time though

because the forum is broken down into two sections... Life and Death. I've never done it the way you mentioned so for me it's like reading "DEAD: Heath Ledger Dead". And yes I know I'm not the only one using this forum but I figured more people on here were checking the home page first and going through the categories they so wish to view. Either way... it is redundant when properly using the forum but you disagree, cool with me.
    I am with Jason on this on as this is how I check FAD myself. I am not that logical to review the new posts, I prefer to waste my time clicking in each section.

By the way is Heath Ledger Dead? You have nothing like the coverage that is going CRAZY here in Aus, they are even showing a double header of his movies on Saturday...

[quote=jason8478;138612]Ahhh... so because you aren't paying attention I am suppose to make your life easier by putting DEAD next to their name? you got some nerve BAKE!!!

Yes, you got it now Jason!!

Good One Axl!!

Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post

By the way is Heath Ledger Dead? You have nothing like the coverage that is going CRAZY here in Aus, they are even showing a double header of his movies on Saturday...
    Really??? Lets watch...I'll bring the popcorn!!

Yes, I notice it too CHICK. But, the only time I care about the section is when I'm going to start a new thread.

JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE
    Rest in peace sweet baby Caylee. The world loves you and will see to it that you get the justice you deserve.

I am with Jason on this on as this is how I check FAD myself. I am not that logical to review the new posts, I prefer to waste my time clicking in each section.

Between PvN agreeing with me and Finnegan calling one of my quotes "profound" I must be doing something wrong

<ok Axl, now that HUGE pic of me is beginning to freak me out>

Between PvN agreeing with me and Finnegan calling one of my quotes "profound" I must be doing something wrong

<ok Axl, now that HUGE pic of me is beginning to freak me out>
    I AGREE - now get back to being JASON8478 please.. it is scaring me that I do something like you do... NOOOOOOO

That's better.

Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    This is what I see when I hit New Posts
    Isnt it more like this? Cause that is more like the one I have on my computer.....

23kzogj.jpg

Isnt it more like this? Cause that is more like the one I have on my computer.....

23kzogj.jpg

LMFAO that's what I was gonna do

Ahhh now you are thinking like me, who thinks like Jason?

What is the world coming to? WE ARE DOOMED!!!

Originally Posted by PvN73

Attachment 3091
    Freaking brilliant!
    Goodbye Porpoise Spit!

Ok RaRa.

Here you go folks:

Life goes on.

23kzogj.jpg
    LOL

Knew it!

Oh yeah, and I figured out which Flame Warrior I think you are. You'll have to find it in the Englebert though.

Life goes on.

Maybe I'll change the title in there to "Heath Ledger, Still Dead".

Life goes on.

awww.... that's so scary.

even scarier!!!

Ahhh now you are thinking like me, who thinks like Jason?

What is the world coming to? WE ARE DOOMED!!!
    I just felt the ground shake a bit....

Maybe I'll change the title in there to "Heath Ledger, Still Dead".
    that's great, you're suppose to be making our lives easier.

Ok, I'll change them all to that then.

Life goes on.

awww.... that's so scary.

even scarier!!!

I just felt the ground shake a bit....
    What is scarier still is that it is the same pic that YOU have on your computer! haaaaa

I think the Englebert thread should be retitled to something like "The social Chat/Gathering thread?"

Or something to that effect!!!