Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMandarin View Post
    Jennifer Lawrence looks beautiful in everything all the time no matter what because she is perfect and I love her.
    Ooooh, somebody has a crush . . .

It was worth sitting through the "We Saw Your Boobs" song if only to see the mortified expressions of Naomi Watts and Charlize Theron.

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    Kristen Stewart look stoned out of her gourd. What exactly is her appeal supposed to be?
    She always looks like that, I actually felt bad for Daniel Radcliffe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Ooooh, somebody has a crush . . .
    I could see myself being a double agent if Jennifer Lawrence were involved. =<_<=
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

What was up with all the freaking beige and washed out pastels again? Yawn.

Kristen Stewart looked pissed to be there, surprise.

I never watch the Oscars. I hate song and dance numbers, and the idiotic jokes - - I see people are complaining about Seth MacFarlane. It's Seth MacFarlane! Did they think he wouldn't offend anyone? Christoph Waltz won(sorry, radiojane), and that's all I cared about. I watched his speech on youtube and saved, what, 3, 4 hours?

I did see pix of Anne Hathaway's dress. That was an unfortunate choice.

Bidmor Guest
    I might watch the Oscars if Bob Hope or Johnny Carson came back and since the chances of that are nill, why not return to classy wit in the form of Billy Crystal?

Rosebud666 Guest
    Kristen Stewart look stoned out of her gourd. What exactly is her appeal supposed to be?
    I think they were going (again) for that "just dragged herself out of bed after giving you the night of your life" look, but I prefer women who look like they are just about to drag me into bed.

radiojane Guest
    It's ok Madeline. I'll get over it. Don't know about Tommy though

I think they were going (again) for that "just dragged herself out of bed after giving you the night of your life" look, but I prefer women who look like they are just about to drag me into bed.
    Is that why she was on crutches?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

SETH MACFARLANE: This is interesting, Daniel Day-Lewis not the first actor to be nominated for playing Lincoln. Raymond Massey portrayed him in 1940??s ??Abe Lincoln In Illinois.? This is true. I would argue, however, that the actor who really got inside Lincoln??s head was John Wilkes Booth.

What? The death hag in me was laughing.

Bidmor Guest
    Morey Amsterdam had nothing on you, MM.

Rosebud666 Guest
    She could count herself lucky that she didn't wind up in traction.

radiojane Guest
    I'm sorry - but this is freaking funny. (I'm a little sour on Argo. They didn't really give the Canadians involved in that mission the credit they deserved imho. It's not the most accurate film ever made) Poor Jimmy Carter. Everybody picks on him.

Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    The "In Memoriam" section also left out Ben Gazzara and Oscar-nominee Susan Tyrrell. They should just borrow TCM's reel - they always do a much better job.

Kristen Stewart was wearing my living room drapes

I predict that the SVP in charge of Dart Placement On Bodices at Prada will be signing up for unemployment today.

That tart from Real Housewives of Cornshucker County should have been arrested for soliciting. That's one of the most horrific dresses ever seen at the Oscars and I'm includin' Bjork, Demi Moore *and* Edy Williams when I say that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brandi2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	45641

For my money, one of the most beautiful (and beautifully dressed) women last night was Fan Bingbing. Plus, I love it that she has a built-in "James Bond" heroine name!

Name:	tumblr_mir0c6oVv61qz9qooo1_500.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	45640

VCNJ~
    Who is that in the beige with the neckline down to her wazoo? All the Hollywood blondes are so homogenized these days, it makes it impossible to tell. And no, the red lipstick doesn't make her stand out either. It makes her look like a million other Hollywood attention whores.

That's Brandi Glanville SC.. She's on one of the Real Housewives Shows. Oh yeah! She's also the one in the bitch fight with Leann Rimes. No idea why she was at the Oscars though.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    That's Brandi Glanville SC.. She's on one of the Real Housewives Shows. Oh yeah! She's also the one in the bitch fight with Leann Rimes. No idea why she was at the Oscars though.
    Maybe to show off the results of her new Panini and Boob Press by RonCo?

Murphymom Guest
    Ben Gazzara was in the 2012 segment - it runs from ceremony to ceremony, not by calendar year. But they did leave out Deborah Raffin, Ann Rutherford, Alex Karras and Larry Hagman, among others.

I'm by no means a Nicole Kidman fan, but I thought she looked really pretty.
    Last edited by MiraculousMandarin; 02-25-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    That's what I was just wondering. Why on earth was she at the Oscars?
    I really wish I would have watched. I used to be really into the Oscars but my interest has waned the last few years. I would have liked to see Seth M. host. I heard some bad feedback from the papers but the feedback from people calling in on talk radio this afternoon was pretty positive, even from people who were older (one was 65) and many who were not McFarland fans going into the show.

I'm by no means a Nicole Kidman fan, but I thought she looked really pretty.
    Let's see if I can scare up a pic of her at the Oscars this year. Processing, processing... Aha!

http://cdn01.cdn.justjared.com/wp-co...eith-urban.jpg

That's the most normal I've seen her look in years. The severe eyebrows that were migrating dangerously close to her hairline appear to have returned to their former home, directly above her eyes. And the pencil-thin face with the collagen lips, reminiscent of a q-tip with a bit of red goo stuck to it, also gone.

I guess she designed her gown herself, and was there because she is a fashion correspondent for one of those entertainment blogs. The fact that I looked it up is depressing me.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013-o...002658218.html

If anyone else missed it and is interested, I just found the Oscars on On Demand on Xfinity/Comcast. Yay!

I don't like Nicole's dress. I haven't seen much of the fashions yet either but I did like Maria Menounos' dress, it was simple but I really liked the hot pinky color.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Maybe to show off the results of her new Panini and Boob Press by RonCo?
    Haaaaa! Forillz. Hey everybody, look what I got...and look how I can smoosh it together weirdly. This is to distract you from asking what the hell I'm even doing at the Oscars!
    Apparently, a lotta guys thought she was hot. (yawn)
    I missed Seth MacFarlane's Lincoln joke, but my husband told it to me, and my LOL almost got us booted out of the restaurant. He's the perfect host for that type of event, because if you don't look/listen closely, he seems very normal and classy (but he's neither...and I say that lovingly...he's a riot). Definitely not boring!
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Boyz r dum

VCNJ~

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    Haaaaa! Forillz. Hey everybody, look what I got...and look how I can smoosh it together weirdly. This is to distract you from asking what the hell I'm even doing at the Oscars!
    Apparently, a lotta guys thought she was hot. (yawn)
    I missed Seth MacFarlane's Lincoln joke, but my husband told it to me, and my LOL almost got us booted out of the restaurant. He's the perfect host for that type of event, because if you don't look/listen closely, he seems very normal and classy (but he's neither...and I say that lovingly...he's a riot). Definitely not boring!
    Professional Thread-Killer

I am glad to see the film Lincoln go down in flames like any lying political propaganda film should. How ironic, today we are ruled by a corrupt Illinois lawyer just like Americans in 1863 were.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Daniel Day-Lewis won the academy award for best actor for his role in Lincoln. It was nominated in 12 categories and won two of them.
    Can you tell us why you dislike Abraham Lincoln?
    Im under the opinion that most American presidents were/are corrupt and duplicitous.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

radiojane Guest
    I hardly think Argo was more deserving politically or artistically.

I think I really need to finally go and see Les Misérables, but I just know I'm going to sob uncontrollably at the end.
    If you do, embrace it. I've blubbered over four different varieties of Les Mis--- on Broadway (a matinee where the "Jean"-in-residence apparently thought he had to hurry up with "Fantine's" death and TOSSED her on her deathbed!), on a high-school stage (abridged student version that left out some of the scatological and prostie details), on TV (luvved the 30th Anniversary show and all the "Jeans", etc.) and now this movie version. Made me fall in love with Russel Crowe all over again (QUITE a feat as you might imagine.) I almost did not care that the singing was not top notch, but I understand---try singing YOUR brains out while doing all that strenuous stuff--- MUCH more difficult than standing still and belting on a stage. I thought the Oscar half-time presentation proved these folks REALLY knew their stuff, and even Russell AND Hugh Jackman sounded better as well. Even though I think they let Hugh look TOO young and kinda hot through most of the film (Valjean in the book and stage versions clearly starts out in his late 40s and ends when he is in his early 60s) but his close-ups are also dripping with sincerity and the conclusion can be a tear-jerker for some. And "One More Day" and "When Tomorrow Comes" make ME want to jump on a barricade and fight gloriously if futilely with French soldiers.
    Last edited by Linnie; 02-25-2013 at 08:52 PM.

I don't know why they are making a big deal about Seth being "offensive"- its not the first time thats ever happened at the Oscars!!!!!! And can Kristin Stewart ever smile about anything ever!!!!!!!!!!!!??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    I am glad to see the film Lincoln go down in flames like any lying political propaganda film should. How ironic, today we are ruled by a corrupt Illinois lawyer just like Americans in 1863 were.
    Argo isnt a lying political propaganda film?

Quote Originally Posted by pyt View Post
    I don't know why they are making a big deal about Seth being "offensive"- its not the first time thats ever happened at the Oscars!!!!!! And can Kristin Stewart ever smile about anything ever!!!!!!!!!!!!??
    I know, right. It's like the girl constantly has sand in her bathing suit or something.

NineTails20 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pyt View Post

Expecting Seth McFarlane to not offend people is like expecting Justin Bieber to sing without autotune; it'll never happen.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    If you do, embrace it. I've blubbered over four different varieties of Les Mis--- on Broadway (a matinee where the "Jean"-in-residence apparently thought he had to hurry up with "Fantine's" death and TOSSED her on her deathbed!), on a high-school stage (abridged student version that left out some of the scatological and prostie details), on TV (luvved the 30th Anniversary show and all the "Jeans", etc.) and now this movie version. Made me fall in love with Russel Crowe all over again (QUITE a feat as you might imagine.) I almost did not care that the singing was not top notch, but I understand---try singing YOUR brains out while doing all that strenuous stuff--- MUCH more difficult than standing still and belting on a stage. I thought the Oscar half-time presentation proved these folks REALLY knew their stuff, and even Russell AND Hugh Jackman sounded better as well. Even though I think they let Hugh look TOO young and kinda hot through most of the film (Valjean in the book and stage versions clearly starts out in his late 40s and ends when he is in his early 60s) but his close-ups are also dripping with sincerity and the conclusion can be a tear-jerker for some. And "One More Day" and "When Tomorrow Comes" make ME want to jump on a barricade and fight gloriously if futilely with French soldiers.
    In the few bits that I've heard, Russel Crowe does just fine. He should - IIRC, he fronts a rock band in his spare time.

What spoiled Les Mis for me back in the day was its popularity among young actors. The Les Mis songs were to auditions as "Stairway to Heaven" is to guitar shops. When I started college as a theater major, every second singing audition featured some kid belting out "One More Day" or "I Dreamed a Dream". If it wasn't that, then it was something from Cats or Evita. I, on the other hand, was more of the King Herod / "Mr. Cellophane" type.

I wish they would make a really good film version of the world's longest running musical: The Fantasticks. That one nearly made me cry even when I was in it. The film they made back in 2000 was really screwed up and sucked, but that wasn't the fault of the actors.

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Argo isnt a lying political propaganda film?
    My bad. I did not follow the Oscars and when I saw a headline on Yahoo which said Spielberg was snubbed by the Oscars I wrongly assumed that film won none. Good for Daniel Day Lewis. It is an actors job to make the unreal seem real. I have not seen Argo.

Ichabodius,
    Lincoln was the largest historical phony in our history and I can't stand it when lying propaganda films are accepted as fact.

"I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races. There is physical difference between the two which, in my judgment, will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality, and inasmuch as it becomes a necessity that there must be a difference, I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position." - Abraham Lincoln
    Last edited by MagnusDippytack; 02-26-2013 at 07:12 AM.
    Peter the Hermit

Most people understand that these films are dramatazations, not fact.

About TheDress, I didn't see the show (just clips) so I didn't realize she fell on the way to the podium. People are telling me they think that saved her life because it had so much fluff to it at the bottom. Yeah, but didn't it's volumonous hemlime cause her to fall in the first place? Seems to me it did anyway.

I love this picture haha.

Name:	0225-jennifer-lawrence-inf-3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	45660
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Katrinawitch Guest
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure she *was* stoned out of her gourd (she's a known pot smoker from way back)! I just don't get her appeal, either. She's been in Hollywood for years, since she was a kid. I don't understand why she affects this whole "shy, stumbling through interviews and public appearances" thing. If you are that uncomfortable being in the spotlight, on the red carpet, etc., just don't go to these events! She's probably a millionaire many times over, so it's not like she or her children or her grandchildren will ever need money.

And girl needs a new stylist (or at least *a* stylist!), stat!

Daniel Radcliffe is always adorable, though!

A pot smoker from way back? Kristen Stewart? What? A whole 5 years? Sorry, that was funny. I think she is just shy and awkward, especially since she was caught diddling the director. (and before) Don't blame the pot, it had nothing to do with her having no personality!

Kristin Stewart is horrible. Just horrible. I don't get the appeal at all, and never will.

I don't understand why they put Kristin Chenoweth on the red carpet. Geez way to make every normal sized person feel and look like a giant. She's adorable no doubt but she is way too tiny.

I think Kristin Chenoweth looked very pretty
    with her hair up and all.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I think Jennifer Lawrence is very overrated.

Call me old fashioned but give me someone
    like Mary Pickford anytime.

I love this picture haha.

Name:	0225-jennifer-lawrence-inf-3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	45660
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Katrinawitch View Post
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure she *was* stoned out of her gourd (she's a known pot smoker from way back)! I just don't get her appeal, either. She's been in Hollywood for years, since she was a kid. I don't understand why she affects this whole "shy, stumbling through interviews and public appearances" thing. If you are that uncomfortable being in the spotlight, on the red carpet, etc., just don't go to these events! She's probably a millionaire many times over, so it's not like she or her children or her grandchildren will ever need money.

And girl needs a new stylist (or at least *a* stylist!), stat!

Daniel Radcliffe is always adorable, though!
    Henceforth, I shall call her StoneFace.

Seriously, I was trying to describe her expressionless face to someone about an hour ago. This makes it so much easier.

Way to stay classy, "Katniss"!!!
    She's lucky her stupid backwards necklace didn't get caught on something and HANG her as well. I will never understand these gowns with a mile of heavy clumsy material dragging the floor, and a huge expanse of neck and shoulders (of varying attractiveness) with nothing to hold it up but some built-in, unstable corsetry.
    Re: KStew's hair: If someone sends her to a new stylist, please make Jennifer Aniston visit him/her as well-- or just give her a new comb and teach her to USE it.

And P.S., there is already an answer to the now-notorious "Boob Song"--- Behold, the "Junk Song":

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor...boob_song.html
    Last edited by Linnie; 02-26-2013 at 07:01 PM.

I see that the Elton John Party went good.
    Chris Brown was there.

Elton John has said maybe Chris Brown and
    him will do a song togeather.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    I see that the Elton John Party went good.
    Chris Brown was there.

Elton John has said maybe Chris Brown and
    him will do a song togeather.
    They have done a song together. Its called "Saturday Night's Alright for Fightin' Bitches."
    Peter the Hermit

Only watched a few minutes of the Oscars. Here's my 2 cents.

Ang Lee- About time. He should have won for Brokeback Mountain.
    Django Unchained was an awesome movie.
    Lincoln had a great cast but was slow and boring.
    Silver Linings Playbook was good.
    As much as I don't care for musicals, I want to see Les Mis because I do like the music in that one.
    WTF was Michelle Obama doing there presenting?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Only watched a few minutes of the Oscars. Here's my 2 cents.

Ang Lee- About time. He should have won for Brokeback Mountain.
    Django Unchained was an awesome movie.
    Lincoln had a great cast but was slow and boring.
    Silver Linings Playbook was good.
    As much as I don't care for musicals, I want to see Les Mis because I do like the music in that one.
    WTF was Michelle Obama doing there presenting?
    Jango is high on my wanna see list right now. It'll eventually make it's way to this town. I hope. If not, I'll rent it or buy it when it comes out on DVD.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 02-26-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Jango is high on my wanna see list right now. It'll eventually make it's way to this town. I hope. If not, I'll rent it or buy it when it comes out on DVD.
    I just got it online. Great movie!

And I do believe Ang Lee did take the Oscar home for director of Brokeback Mountain so my bad. I just remember that it didn't win best picture.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sorry for this I don't want any emails, hate mails, phone calls..... anything else. ..... Quentin Tarrentino is a WACK. JOB. Not a fan although the only 1 movie I like is Pulp Fiction.... other than that, he is a crazy, wacko who needs help.

PS QUESTION: Is 'Lincoln' the only movie about Lincoln that has been made in the past year? I am thinking in 2011/12, there was 1 other movie about Lincoln or Lincoln's assassination, or perhaps the movie was about his wife ..... wasn't there a theory that Lincoln's wife had something to do with his death???? And no this other movie is not the zombie movie lol.

It seems like there was a few Lincoln movies and I want to keep things straight. My memory is bad for a 28 year old woman so please am I just imagining this other Lincoln movie? Am I Lincoln deja vuing ?
    Last edited by Tiffany; 02-27-2013 at 07:08 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I too think Quentin Tarantino is a sashimi grade a-hole, but I do love Inglorious Bastards as well as Pulp Fiction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    - Hyacinth Bucket

radiojane Guest
    Yeah I don't have a lot of love for Tarantino, and I hate his movies.

The one thing I did learn from the Oscars is someone made a Hitchcock biopic. Now this I have to find.