Thread: Video shows officer shooting fleeing Fresno teen

Video shows officer shooting fleeing Fresno teen

... in the back of the head. The 16-year-old minor died later at the hospital. After being handcuffed first. What gets me is the boy had jumped a metal bar fence and was running away, clearly not a threat to the officers. One shot him through the fence rather than let him get away. Oh, and I should add that before the video was made public, the police claimed the shooting was justified.

Note, there is a link to the shooting video in the story. It is disturbing but not graphic, no blood is seen. Not that that helps me get the images out of my mind!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...sno-california

Unbelievable.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Not running away might have resulted in not getting shot.
    That's a really great looking lawn in the video.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Oh so thats the thing now cop didn't feel like running and climbing over the fence so he'll just shoot them instead? Also why was the kid running from the cops? Whatever the reason there was no need to draw a gun and fire until that kid pulled a gun and shot first or threatened the people in the house or the cops,

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Oh so thats the thing now cop didn't feel like running and climbing over the fence so he'll just shoot them instead? Also why was the kid running from the cops? Whatever the reason there was no need to draw a gun and fire until that kid pulled a gun and shot first or threatened the people in the house or the cops,
    Didn't the kid have his hands up before he ran? Also, he was a kid, probably scared to death, and probably wasn't thinking straight.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Absolutely shocking. And to see an officer put handcuffs on a kid that was mortally wounded. Just unbelievable !
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Maybe they were trying to question him about a murder.
    If you wait until he pulls a gun and starts shooting, you may not get a chance to shoot back.

Simply running away doesn't need to be a desirable option.
    Notice how there aren't many outrageous or shocking videos of people being shot by cops while they're standing still and holding their hands up?

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    If you wait until he pulls a gun and starts shooting, you may not get a chance to shoot back.

Notice how there aren't many outrageous or shocking videos of people being shot by cops while they're standing still and holding their hands up?
    It happens, though. I have friend who was a cop. He put his lights on behind a van. The van turned into a driveway. The cop jumped out and went to the driver's side window, holding his gun out with two hands. "Show me your hands, maggot!" He screamed. The guy moved as if to show his hands, and the cop blew him away. The driver turned out to be a paralyzed vet driving a hand-controlled van. The cop went to prison. I don't know how long he was inside, but I ran into him years later at a funeral home when his mom died.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

No doubt it happens.
    But I don't get people who try to resist, run away, get belligerent, etc.

Your best bet for the best outcome is compliance.
    If you don't like the way they approach you or talk to you or whatever, you can lodge a complaint later once the situation is under control.

No doubt it happens.

If you don't like the way they approach you or talk to you or whatever, you can lodge a complaint later once the situation is under control.
    Oh, yeah, definitely.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Why does their have to be many?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Daniel_Shaver

This prick was not charged with anything. People always argue "well most shootings are justified". SO what? That is NOT an excuse for doing
    nothing about the ones that are not.

Millions of bank transactions happen every day. Almost every one of them legal. That is not a reason to excuse the few that are not.

There was no excuse for this shooting. Officers are finally starting to be held accountable after years of protests. We are going to demand
    changes in the way the police interact with citizens continue.
    Originally Posted by JimC
    No doubt it happens.

He never got the chance to lodge a complaint.

Last edited by pkstracy; 11-02-2019 at 10:20 AM. Reason: combined back to back posts

12. 10-28-2019, 01:51 AM
    Reason
    combined back to back posts.

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    Why does their have to be many?

This prick was not charged with anything. People always argue "well most shootings are justified". SO what? That is NOT an excuse for doing
    nothing about the ones that are not.

Millions of bank transactions happen every day. Almost every one of them legal. That is not a reason to excuse the few that are not.

There was no excuse for this shooting. Officers are finally starting to be held accountable after years of protests. We are going to demand
    changes in the way the police interact with citizens continue.
    He never got the chance to lodge a complaint.

I saw that video of the Shaver shooting.
    The guy was shot as he reached toward his waistband at his back, while the cop can be heard saying, "NO".

I don't doubt that he was scared and confused by the situation and the orders that were being barked at him by the cops, but the cop fired when the guy reached behind his back.

And yeah, cops can be assholes and bullies; sometimes with lethal results; and that needs to be eliminated.
    A good starting point for eliminating it might be to comply when they come up telling you to do whatever and start asking questions.

For all you know there may have been a murder around the corner and you fit the general description of the killer.
    If something like that is the case, you can bet they'll be quick on the trigger if you do anything that can be perceived as a threat; just like in the Shaver case where people had reported a rifle being pointed out of a hotel room window.

In the case of this shooting - I don't know why they were after the guy.
    In order for me to think shooting him was "justified"; there would have had to be reason to think that he was dangerous to the public and had to be stopped.

Barring that, "running away" isn't a good reason for a shooting, but by not running away; he'd likely have had a chance to discuss the matter later.

Cops need to be held accountable as they go about the business of holding criminals accountable for crimes, or trying to determine who is responsible for one.
    They're also held accountable if they fail to do something - like not arresting a drunk driver who later causes a wreck; or not dealing with reports of a rifle being pointed out a window if someone is later shot by a sniper.

My personal rules of thumb to avoid getting shot by a cop:

1. Don't commit crimes.
    2. Cooperate with cops investigating crimes or possible crimes.
    3. Don't run away or act threatening, belligerent or disrespectful; because those guys are armed and they can arrest you or even shoot you if the situation escalates.

We can all have a different viewpoints but the facts are, we are demanding and enacting changes from the way things were done in the past.

We can all have a different viewpoints but the facts are, we are demanding and enacting changes from the way things were done in the past.
    And that's as it should be.

John thomas please combine your posts #11 and #12, you must wait 30 mins between posting again if no one has posted after you.