Thread: Valentina Cortese

Valentina Cortese

I first saw her in the epic Jesus of Nazareth as Queen Herodias. Sadly, few obituaries about her are available as of today and none of them seem to mention this role, focusing instead on the few Hollywood films she made. Maybe to the U.S. media she was more of a European star. I also remember her from (IMO) one of the most touching moments in Oscar history: Ingrid Bergman won for Orient Express. Valentina was also nominated for Day for Night, which was somehow a best-picture nominee during the previous Academy Awards (WTF was up with that rule ?). Ingrid turned her acceptance speech into a salute to her friend Valentina. Nowadays they start the stopwatch and the winner quickly blurts out "I'd like to thank (insert 50 names here)" before the 'get the hell off the stage' music drowns them out.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...rtese-obituary
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky5sW4no_cg

I remember her well.

GOD IS NOT DEAD

An amazing actress. It was very kind of Ingrid to do that, knowing that Valentina was the deserving winner. I love her in a film called The Legend Of Lylah Clare playing costume designer Countess Bozo Bedoni. A movie so bad it's good. She plays the part to the hilt, so she's in on the joke. Unlike the rest of the cast, who take it seriously ! RIP Valentina.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71U3RkqPpdL._SX425_.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	54853
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    An amazing actress. It was very kind of Ingrid to do that, knowing that Valentina was the deserving winner. I love her in a film called The Legend Of Lylah Clare playing costume designer Countess Bozo Bedoni. A movie so bad it's good. She plays the part to the hilt, so she's in on the joke. Unlike the rest of the cast, who take it seriously ! RIP Valentina.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71U3RkqPpdL._SX425_.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	54853
    I have read a book called:Inside Oscar: in
    that Ingrid did say that about Valentina Cortese
    when she won her Oscar.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.