Thread: End for Windows 7

End for Windows 7

On January 14, 2020, Microsoft will end its support of Windows 7.

You can still use your computer, but it will be more vulnerable to security and viruses. (Of course, all of us--I assume--have installed additional protection.)

My PC monitor is not compatible with 10, so I have continued using 7, but just before the deadline, I'm going to store my desktop and start using my Windows 10 laptop.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/micr...&wa=wsignin1.0
    Last edited by cindyt; 06-27-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    On January 14, 2020, Microsoft will end its support of Windows 7.

You can still use your computer, but it will be more vulnerable to security and viruses. (Of course, all of us--I assume--have installed additional protection.)

My PC monitor is not compatible with 10, so I have continued using 7, but just before the deadline, I'm going to store my desktop and start using my Windows 10 laptop.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/micr...&wa=wsignin1.0
    I have not been happy as of late with Windows 10, their updates tend to screw things up and if it's a major update it takes forever.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    I have not been happy as of late with Windows 10, their updates tend to screw things up and if it's a major update it takes forever.
    Yeah - the forced updates suck, aside from that I like 10.
    The major updates to Windows and Office tend to decide that my settings need to be changed.
    It can take a little while to get things back as close to what they were as possible. The Win 10 major updates decide that my onboard speakers - which work fine - are incompatible, it removes the HP driver and replaces it with some generic driver that makes max volume way to low and it sound like I'm listening to stuff through a paper bag.
    I've started keeping the HP driver in a handy folder so that I can just reinstall it after updates.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

That's a good idea with the HP driver I will try that.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

My 10 asks before it updates.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

My 10 asks before it updates.
    Mine does too for a while.
    Then it's just going to do it when you're not looking.

I try to go ahead and do it soon after the notification.
    Otherwise, I'll have all sorts of stuff open that's not saved because I'm only using it temporarily, I go to the store or something, and come back to find an update in progress and some of my unsaved stuff is gone after the reboot.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Yeah - the forced updates suck, aside from that I like 10.
    The major updates to Windows and Office tend to decide that my settings need to be changed.
    It can take a little while to get things back as close to what they were as possible. The Win 10 major updates decide that my onboard speakers - which work fine - are incompatible, it removes the HP driver and replaces it with some generic driver that makes max volume way to low and it sound like I'm listening to stuff through a paper bag.
    I've started keeping the HP driver in a handy folder so that I can just reinstall it after updates.
    Mine did that too! I have a 3-year-old Acer though. It's getting slow. Whenever Wonder Twin and I watch anything on it I have to hook up my Echo to it so we can actually lie back and cuddle and still hear it.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

I have had no issues with Windows ten and love it, mine asks before updating.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    I have had no issues with Windows ten and love it, mine asks before updating.
    I don't like having the search bar and the bookmarked links at the bottom of the page, but otherwise I like 10 more than 7.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I don't like having the search bar and the bookmarked links at the bottom of the page, but otherwise I like 10 more than 7.
    It did take some getting used to. But I like 10 best so far.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

I guess I need to update soon? The search bar and bookmarks are at the bottom of page? No...I don't like change.

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    I guess I need to update soon? The search bar and bookmarks are at the bottom of page? No...I don't like change.
    You do, unless you want to take a chance on getting a virus. It'll probably cost to update now. I'm not sure. I tried to update, but my monitor was not comparable with 10.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I had no problem getting on to the site before the last update, now it's slow and sluggish. I like 10 but they need to work the kinks out before forcing it on me.

I don't like having the search bar and the bookmarked links at the bottom of the page

Your search bar and bookmarks are at the bottom of the page???? Something doesn't sound right....my bookmarks are on the right side of the page under "Other bookmarks" and my search bar is always and has always been at the top of the page.
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Your search bar and bookmarks are at the bottom of the page???? Something doesn't sound right....my bookmarks are on the right side of the page under "Other bookmarks" and my search bar is always and has always been at the top of the page.
    Really. I'm not the only one with that format. I use EDGE, that might be the difference from your browser.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

My old rig (2004 era Pentium 4) has Win XP. It works just fine except much of its software is outdated and some can't be updated. I use it everyday for my hobby web server and many other things. I suppose I can keep using it indefinitely. This one is my "new" one (built 2011) and I do run Win 7. I won't ever be upgrading it. I have found a way to thwart Windows Update indefinitely. I don't run anti-virus on either machine. I don't have trouble with viruses as I am careful about files I open. I suppose I am vulnerable still to things like embedded hostile code. The hardware, software and OS will eventually age to the point I will have to retire it and I can justify building a whole new rig, and I will be forced to tangle with whatever monstrosity Microsoft is offering.

Having an anti-virus provider is important to me because I do a massive amount of research for my books and articles. Not to worry, Norton will continue to protect your device after Windows quits updated on January 14, 2020.
    Last edited by cindyt; 07-29-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Follower View Post
    My old rig (2004 era Pentium 4) has Win XP. It works just fine except much of its software is outdated and some can't be updated. I use it everyday for my hobby web server and many other things. I suppose I can keep using it indefinitely. This one is my "new" one (built 2011) and I do run Win 7. I won't ever be upgrading it. I have found a way to thwart Windows Update indefinitely. I don't run anti-virus on either machine. I don't have trouble with viruses as I am careful about files I open. I suppose I am vulnerable still to things like embedded hostile code. The hardware, software and OS will eventually age to the point I will have to retire it and I can justify building a whole new rig, and I will be forced to tangle with whatever monstrosity Microsoft is offering.
    You can, indeed. I have a Windows 2000 partition stil in use because it's the last version made that doesn't phone home to Micro$oft. Apps can be updated by moving copies from the newer installation to the old one and modifying any Hkeys or regedit files as necessary.

odd mine aren't that way, I use firefox as my web browser.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    odd mine aren't that way, I use firefox as my web browser.
    No problems with that here either.

I use the edge browser. I'm going to change it to chrome.
    Last edited by cindyt; 08-20-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD