Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climbing Everest

onehunglow Guest

Climbing Everest

[SIZE=3]Why would a sane person want to do this? May as well put your hand over an open flame on the gas range and take the pain. Just to say I did it.This is one of the few shows that has jumped the shark on the Discovery Channel. [/SIZE]

ComputerGuy Guest
    Why do you want to fly?

onehunglow Guest

Easy

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    Why do you want to fly?
    So I don't have to climb over a damn mountain.

Kathyf Guest
    too hard.

ScottyMonger Guest
    climbing Everest has become a joke, with American "fat cats" paying top dollar to have Sherpas literally haul their asses to the top of the World. A few years ago, a bunch of them got caught in a blizzard and several were killed. A doctor from Dallas was left out in the blizzard overnight, but managed to survive. Most of his fingers, toes, and even his nose were lost to frostbite.

In addition, a significant portion of Everest has become a dump, littered with tons of trash and used oxygen bottles left behind over the years.

onehunglow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    climbing Everest has become a joke, with American "fat cats" paying top dollar to have Sherpas literally haul their asses to the top of the World. A few years ago, a bunch of them got caught in a blizzard and several were killed. A doctor from Dallas was left out in the blizzard overnight, but managed to survive. Most of his fingers, toes, and even his nose were lost to frostbite.

In addition, a significant portion of Everest has become a dump, littered with tons of trash and used oxygen bottles left behind over the years.
    I guess jaco found the nose.

PvN73 Guest
    Not to mention the number of dead bodies along the trail!

No thanks, I watched it at the movies and it looks overrated. 3 stars only

Kathyf Guest
    The problem I have with all this climbing is the cost for these search teams. These people climb on their own free will. I think that there should be a fund for this so the tax payers don't have to pay. Why should officials have to put their life in danger for something not an accident. Maybe I am wrong.

ScottyMonger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    Not to mention the number of dead bodies along the trail!
    Here;s the Death Toll.

http://www.everestnews.com/history/e...mitsbyyear.htm

The new breed of so called "mountaineers" would rather summit than come to the aid of a fellow climber.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5433982

ScottyMonger Guest
    Here's a quiz regarding the incidents that occurred on Everest in 1996, which I was referring to earlier.

http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz115544d3c648.html

Rob Hall's death was the most poignant. His satellite phone call to his wife, as he lay dying on Everest is hard tolisten to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Hall
    Last edited by ScottyMonger; 12-05-2007 at 10:11 PM.

PvN73 Guest
    Here's a quiz regarding the incidents that occurred on Everest in 1996, which I was referring to earlier.

Rob Hall's death was the most poignant. His satellite phone call to his wife, as he lay dying on Everest is hard tolisten to.

That was so sad, I cried when I heard about that.

There was also an Australian Climber left for dead on Everest, and they even called his wife telling her he had died, but he didnt. His story is amazing and I saw him being interviewed on a show here called enough rope. Just truely amazing.
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...8-2702,00.html

Have you seen touching the void? OMG that is just AMAZING that story. Again I saw him interviewed on enough rope. Just brilliant.

Crazy Cat Lady Guest
    [quote=ScottyMonger;82374]Here's a quiz regarding the incidents that occurred on Everest in 1996, which I was referring to earlier.

This is a great quiz! The '96 disaster has been a particular interest of mine since I read Jon Krakauer's book soon after it was first published. I just finished watchng 'Frontline: Storm Over Everest,' a documentary by David Breashears.

Dead bodies on Mount Everest

there are over 200 bodies left there. Here are some photos and video ( GRAPHIC)

http://sometimes-interesting.com/201...mount-everest/

Wow. I just never knew they left people up there. Very haunting photos.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

aedgar5000 Guest
    I checked out this site a few month ago. Interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    there are over 200 bodies left there. Here are some photos and video ( GRAPHIC)

http://sometimes-interesting.com/201...mount-everest/

way cool thanks!

Last I heard, Ian Woodhall, who climbed Everest to remove Francys Arsentiev from public view , was planing to return to bury Green boots. I wonder if he made it yet. That takes a heart of gold, a deep pocket book and balls of steel.

JudyAnn Guest
    Fascinating...I just had no idea that that many climbers died up there and the difficulty of retrieving them.

So many questions...

First, I take it there are no scavenging animals at such elevations?

Second, why are two people sitting bolt upright? What a way to die!

Finally, please explain the huge meat chunks/body parts...WTH happened? Why are some people in pieces and others entirely clothed?

The bodies sort of remind me of the plaster figures from Pompei.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

aedgar5000 Guest
    1. There are some scavenging birds on Everest that will feed on the corpses if they aren't covered. (goraks)

2. Some of the climbers will sit down (exhaustion, delirium) and die and freeze right in that position.

3. Often bodies will be incorporated into the glaciers on the mountain. As the glacier proceeds down the mountain, the forces and movements within the glacier will rip bodies to pieces. That is one possible explanation for those chunks.

Thanks for the link Cash! I knew there were some left, but had no idea that it was over 200.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by JudyAnn View Post
    Fascinating...I just had no idea that that many climbers died up there and the difficulty of retrieving them.

So many questions...

First, I take it there are no scavenging animals at such elevations?
    No, there aren't any. The peak of Everest is 28,000 (and change) feet above sea level. Base Camp is around 18,000.

Second, why are two people sitting bolt upright? What a way to die!
    Most likely, they froze to death while sitting in the snow. Mt Everest, and all the high Himalayas, are very cold and windy. People usually exhaust themselves on summit climbs, and they can easily die of exposure in a short time. These people may have sat down to rest or just to give up.

Finally, please explain the huge meat chunks/body parts...WTH happened? Why are some people in pieces and others entirely clothed?
    Some victims die in falls from a cliff, or they slide down ice and bounce off rocks etc. This can tear a body to pieces. Also, the movement of the glaciers carries bodies down the mountain very slowly over the years. This movement can tear a body or pull it apart. The falls and movement can pull clothes off. The body of Mallory, for instance, was up there 75 years.

1karenhb Guest
    I knew there were bodies left but had no idea there were that many. I have read in the past that many discarded oxygen tanks litter the mountain and that climbs have been done to try and bring those down. What an awful way to die and to be just left there. Guess I won't be climbing Everest any time soon.

Into Thin Air by John Krakauer.

Best book I've ever read.
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

I guess I have no spirit of adventure because that does not appeal to me at all. Let them have it!

Town Without Pity Guest
    Sad story, I had read this before. I'm kinda torn on if their bodies should be brought down or not. I think if I had a family member frozen up there I would want them left there. They became one with the mighty mountian. Maybe just a memorial marker for all climbers. May they rest in peace.

fascinating post. I had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Town Without Pity View Post
    Sad story, I had read this before. I'm kinda torn on if their bodies should be brought down or not. I think if I had a family member frozen up there I would want them left there. They became one with the mighty mountian. Maybe just a memorial marker for all climbers. May they rest in peace.
    I may be wrong but I dont think they can be brought down. Its hard enough walking down the mountain as it is. Imagine carrying a frozen body. The team that found Mallory simply covered him with rocks and left.

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    That was so interesting! Thanks for sharing. I had no idea so many climbers were left up there... I am terrified of heights, so no mountain climbing for me! Haha. Hiking is the most I'll do.

Fascinating thread, thank you.

Oogie Boogie Guest
    I felt a little intrusive looking at the photos but not intrusive enough to stop looking! Very haunting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    I may be wrong but I dont think they can be brought down. Its hard enough walking down the mountain as it is. Imagine carrying a frozen body. The team that found Mallory simply covered him with rocks and left.
    You are correct. It is simply too dangerous to carry a body down when you are essentially dying yourself at those altitudes. Some have been retrieved, but not many and many others have died trying to retrieve bodies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by editrix View Post
    No, there aren't any. The peak of Everest is 28,000 (and change) feet above sea level. Base Camp is around 18,000.

Most likely, they froze to death while sitting in the snow. Mt Everest, and all the high Himalayas, are very cold and windy. People usually exhaust themselves on summit climbs, and they can easily die of exposure in a short time. These people may have sat down to rest or just to give up.

Some victims die in falls from a cliff, or they slide down ice and bounce off rocks etc. This can tear a body to pieces. Also, the movement of the glaciers carries bodies down the mountain very slowly over the years. This movement can tear a body or pull it apart. The falls and movement can pull clothes off. The body of Mallory, for instance, was up there 75 years.
    I actually posted a link in the Everest thread. There are animals who can survive above base camp but below the peak.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

sunshine74137 Guest
    If I became a peoplecicle I think I'd like staying right where I was, Obviously I died doing something I loved, might as well stay put

pwem Guest
    I knew there was a problem with a heck of a lot of garbage being left on the mountain but the amount of bodies surprised me. Thanks for the info.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I guess I have no spirit of adventure because that does not appeal to me at all. Let them have it!
    It has never appealed to me, either. Too frigin' cold and dangerous.

Nelliebean Guest
    I'm sure there will be a book out one of these days just on the frozen bodies.

Perhaps a large coffee table book with big colorful pix?

Fancy a cup of tea? Look at my new book!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post

It has never appealed to me, either. Too frigin' cold and dangerous.
    Me neither. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    I would buy it in a heartbeat!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

lisalouver Guest
    Had no idea

Awesome link, thanks

wilkiefan Guest
    absolutely fascinating! Loved it. I have always been interested in Everst. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    I actually posted a link in the Everest thread. There are animals who can survive above base camp but below the peak.
    Yup, I stand corrected.

Apparently Everest is one of the easier 8000ers to climb. K2 and Annapurna have significantly higher mortality rates for climbers but far less bodies due to the smaller amount of attempts to reach the summit.
    http://www.mounteverest.net/story/stories/ANNAPURNAKillerMountainsAnExplorersWebSeriesSep242003.shtml

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Fujicakes Guest
    This is probably the most pictures I've seen of them on Everest, so thank you. They (and their drive to climb the mountain) are truly fascinating.

Pooh-Bear Guest
    I had no idea that there were so many souls left behind on that mountain, that so many seem to want to climb. I can respect those who are up to the challenge...but I admit I don't understand it. It is to me "a death trap, a suicide rap" that I would never consider. These people made the choice to do this for personal reasons. It was a desire, and they should have taken into consideration that they like many others just might not make it back. To me it is like the TV show survivor. It is not going to be fun or easy. It is going to be hard work and you have a better chance of failing than succeeding.

I will not insult or minimize their demise. They stepped up to a plate that I will never experience but, I would like to think they entered into this of their own free-will, knowing that the ending might not be positive.

When I think of people attempting to reach a pinnacle simply because it is there, I have to wonder about those who went in the opposite direction because they were instructed to do so and did their job. They did this because it was their job to learn what they could and defend out nation. So my hat is off to those brave men on board the Thresher and the Scorpion, who died going to deep as apposed to going to high.

Not only dead bodies, trash and lots of oxygen tanks, but also frozen shit too. I heard that was a hazard - with it dried up and the wind blowing the flakes around everywhere...ewww.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh-Bear View Post
    I had no idea that there were so many souls left behind on that mountain, that so many seem to want to climb. I can respect those who are up to the challenge...but I admit I don't understand it. It is to me "a death trap, a suicide rap" that I would never consider. These people made the choice to do this for personal reasons. It was a desire, and they should have taken into consideration that they like many others just might not make it back. To me it is like the TV show survivor. It is not going to be fun or easy. It is going to be hard work and you have a better chance of failing than succeeding.

I will not insult or minimize their demise. They stepped up to a plate that I will never experience but, I would like to think they entered into this of their own free-will, knowing that the ending might not be positive.
    With all due respect and in IMHO, there is NO comparison whatsoever between climbing Everest and a TV show like Survivor (which I can't stand). It's all for ratings- if there was a life threatening emergency, there are plenty of crew and resources available to assist someone- not at all the case with Everest. I LMAO that contestants on that show are "surviving", while the crew members have nearby tables full of catered food and safe places to get a good night's sleep. How ridiculous- NO ONE on that program has come remotely close to losing their life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

I remember seeing that being filmed/talked about in the IMAX film that was done at the time. I remember listening to the phone call and being extremely angry about it. Why, in the name of all that's holy, would you choose to go and do something like that while your wife is pregnant?! Why take even the remote chance that you might not come back to be a father to your child? I get all the stuff about its what they love to do, his job and everything - but somehow, what he did seemed so selfish to me, to risk himself during his wife's pregnancy to go climb the mountain. I suppose one could say that it could just as easily have happened at a later date---but at least he could have been there to support his wife and see his child born. /IDK - I admit that I just didn't get that.
    "I don't want the bodies, just the pictures."
    --Castle

Town Without Pity Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Mel View Post
    I remember seeing that being filmed/talked about in the IMAX film that was done at the time. I remember listening to the phone call and being extremely angry about it. Why, in the name of all that's holy, would you choose to go and do something like that while your wife is pregnant?! Why take even the remote chance that you might not come back to be a father to your child? I get all the stuff about its what they love to do, his job and everything - but somehow, what he did seemed so selfish to me, to risk himself during his wife's pregnancy to go climb the mountain. I suppose one could say that it could just as easily have happened at a later date---but at least he could have been there to support his wife and see his child born. /IDK - I admit that I just didn't get that.
    On this point I would totally agree, although I have no need to climb a Mountian, I would not be going until after my baby was born. Yes Women have babies all the time with their men not there, but this just sounds like, "I have to do this before I become a Father" without thinking of his wife, who should have said Kiss my butt, rub my feet please your not going. I think it was a selfish thing for him to do. I'm pretty casual about Mr. Hubby does, but he would never do anything if I thought it was to dangerous or I just don't want him to do it....No he's not whipped, I would do the same if he told me No your not climbing that Mountian because you look like Cindy Crawford and are so healthy and never had a heart attack....lol...Ok, was trying to lighten it up a bit..but damn No you don't go when your wife is expecting, to many things could happen on the mountian and at home.