Thread: Strangest True Crime Story Yet

Strangest True Crime Story Yet

I would not exactly call it strange, disturbing would be a better word. I read this and thought WTF?!!. I not sure what I will think when I see this ! https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...obergs/582145/
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    I would not exactly call it strange, disturbing would be a better word. I read this and thought WTF?!!. I not sure what I will think when I see this ! https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...obergs/582145/
    That mother, though! I'm going to watch it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    That mother, though! I'm going to watch it.
    That really got me. I watched the trailer on YouTube, and reading peoples comments I hope I don't throw up and want to kick my TV ! Well, I watched it last night. I don't know what to say or think, it drops one bombshell after another. All I can say is how could everyone who was involved let this happen, and I do mean everyone. One of the most fucked up things I have ever seen.
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 02-15-2019 at 04:55 PM.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    All I can say is how could everyone who was involved let this happen, and I do mean everyone. One of the most fucked up things I have ever seen.
    In your view, after having seen the documentary, about how much blame is on LDS (similar to Catholic Church/pedophilia), and how much on Jan’s parents for not only looking the other way but defying agency recommendations and facilitating an ongoing relationship with “B”? Perhaps it’s intertwined - Jan’s parents were brainwashed by LDS principles? It seems that when Jan speaks for herself, she defends her parents?
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    In your view, after having seen the documentary, about how much blame is on LDS (similar to Catholic Church/pedophilia), and how much on Jan’s parents for not only looking the other way but defying agency recommendations and facilitating an ongoing relationship with “B”? Perhaps it’s intertwined - Jan’s parents were brainwashed by LDS principles? It seems that when Jan speaks for herself, she defends her parents?
    That is an interesting question. I was raised Roman Catholic, and though I do not practice it's teachings anymore there are things that are still ingrained in me. Suicide is a sin against God, and would deny me eternal life if I chose to do it. I choose not to believe that, but it is still in the back of my mind. So I would say brainwashing played a part in this. I watched it again to gain better clarity, and although everyone is painfully open about it I feel no one seems to fully understand the reasons. What struck me was the daughters looked much older then their years, I'm sure this affected them more than the parents. Their mother looked like an older sister to them, very strange. As for Jan defending her parents, with all you learn from this I personally would not be able to do that. In order to protect themselves they threw her under the bus. And the way they did it was cold. As for the law not really knowing about pedophilia, hmm I don't know. I got that talk when I was 12 that there were certain people who liked young boys and girls in an abnormal way. And this was 1968.
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 02-17-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Mansfield - thanks for sharing that. I just watched it on YouTube (I don??t have a TV or Netflix). Holy cow.

??...fully understand the reasons?...It??s nuts that the parents didn??t activate earlier to protect Jan, but once B set them both up via bizarre sexual entrapment and then used his wife Gail as the go-between to have charges dropped...brilliant narcissism on B??s part. I??m no psychologist but this could be more about narcissism than pedophilia, though B??s brother??s comments were illuminating: B always had a thing for little girls; B sold all the cars off his lot, could charm a sale out of anyone; killed himself rather than face justice (described in an unemotional tone)...That poor FBI agent who worked so hard to help Jan only to be thwarted by her parents. And WHAT with the ALIEN thing and MISSION of having a baby to save the human race. That tactic sounds possibly more traumatic than the rape. And speaking of rape:

Laying aside the self-evident truth that a 12-year-old girl cannot give consent because she doesn??t understand consent, she returned B??s manipulation and molestation with her own true love. Who consented to what? Essentially B coerced consent: got Dad to give him a handjob (setting up homosexual blackmail), had an 8-month sexual affair with Mom (who felt loved and excited by B - more blackmail material), got Jan to participate through feigned love and alien stories and threats (your sister will go blind if you tell anyone; your dad will be killed).

Just, wow. So much wrong packed into one human being - certainly the family??s ??consent? was voluntary but B set fire not only to the family shop but their whole family. At the end I cannot believe B was permitted to speak to both Jan and her mom at the hearing. But Jan hit the nail on the head: if B truly wanted to apologize to her, he should??ve stood right there, admitted his actions and received due penalty. He did not. He died via heart meds and Kahlua instead.

One more thing - B ??realized? why he was into little girls when his psychiatrist helped him see his past (not the fake psychologist who earlier prescribed he lay with the Broberg girls for therapeutic reasons!). Maybe B was molested when he was little, and isolated. But guess what. ??Understanding? reasons behind that behavior doesn??t soften it, and sure didn??t help B turn from it or take any responsibility. Could he have changed if he??d indeed owned up to his crimes? Many would say no, that he and other pedophiles are beyond reform.

Sorry so long-winded. That was SOMETHING, though.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

No need to say sorry ! I enjoyed reading your take on this. I think this was a pretty straight laced family up until B entered the picture. He focused on Jan right from the start and that was his goal to separate her from the family. He must have thought this will be easy, it's disturbing to me how easy it was for him ! How he was able to coerce the parents into something sexual with him is insane. He must have seen they had repressed desires of their own and that was all he needed to set the plan in motion. A modern day Svengali who used everything he could to get control and have the upper hand. Like you said, wow. A friend of mine just watched it on YouTube and said to me "What the hell did I just see?!" It defies logic. At the end when they were in the courtroom I knew he was not ever going to confess and own up to what he did. People like that never do. At one point I thought it would end like the film American Beauty with B being shot by Jan or one of her parents. Thank God it did not. Taking his own life gives them closure possibly. I hope it does.

I really don't know what to say about this.
    It's just that messed up.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I really don't know what to say about this.
    It's just that messed up.
    All my friends who have watched it feel the same way. After I had seen it I sat for a few minutes unable to put my thoughts together. It does a number on your head.

Saw it yesterday. What B did to that family was a disgrace, but the parents played a big part in what happend to Jan. The parents seemed to be very naive and trusting, but letting an adult man share a bed with your underage daughter for some therapy. B was a sociopath, he knew which buttons to push with the parents. It just makes me sick to my stomach.

Thanks for the links pk. I might have a couple of shows that she was in, I will have to check.