Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Country music

Traditional Country music

Anyone here like traditional country music? I was brought up on it. I love it. I really do not like the stuff they are passing off as country music these days. Just sounds like pop music. I enjoy almost every artists pre 1990.

Wendy A. Guest
    I don't but I respect you for it. I'm scarred from being raised on it, and drug out into public with my parents dressed alike in there little matching western shirts and cowboy boots. They really screwed me up in that aspect. lol

Mammy Guest
    I love country music from the 70's and 80's. I like Mickey Gilley, Merle Haggard, TG Sheppard, John Conlee, Earl Thomas Conley, Ronnie Milsap, John Schneider, Eddie Rabbitt, Vern Gosden, Dan Seals, The Bellamy Brothers, Don Williams, George Strait, Janie Fricke, Roseanne Cash, Gary Morris, Southern Pacific, Restless Heart, The Statler Brothers, Lee Greenwood, and many more that I've left out. I can't stand country music now.

I like old school country also. And because it does remind me of when I was younger. Not that my childhood was perfect, but my mom listened to it and we would sit with
    her singing the songs. Had no clue what they were about, but oh well. My mom is gone now so when I hear old country, just brings those memories.

Mammy Guest
    Isn't it amazing how you can hear a song from years ago and can go back into your mind and feel like you are right there again? Even theme songs from old tv shows do that to me. My grandparents loved "The Waltons" and I get a lump in my throat just hearing the opening music.

Mammy, those are ALL great artists you listed. I like them all. So good to know there are still some people who dig the classics. Piggy, that's how I feel about the music. I was raised by my Grandmother (who did legally adopt me) and hearing that music now reminds me of Her and all that She did for me. Of course, I had no idea what the songs were about either at the time! LOL

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Isn't it amazing how you can hear a song from years ago and can go back into your mind and feel like you are right there again? Even theme songs from old tv shows do that to me. My grandparents loved "The Waltons" and I get a lump in my throat just hearing the opening music.
    See why I needed therapy? lol I do remember a few songs I liked. I love Johnny Cash, I loved that Elvira song, and a few Kenny Roger songs, and.... Barbra Mandrel..twenty five cents for a nickel candy bar... a dollars worth of gas won't even start your car! and there's a few more that I'll list when I can remember them. Someone name some songs please!

Who sings this song? You're nobody called today, she hung up when I asked her name... blah, blah blah (can't remember) she thinks she's being clever... I liked that one too as a kid.
    Last edited by Wendy A.; 03-06-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Ahh the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    See why I needed therapy? lol I do remember a few songs I liked. I love Johnny Cash, I loved that Elvira song, and a few Kenny Roger songs, and.... Barbra Mandrel..twenty five cents for a nickel candy bar... a dollars worth of gas won't even start your car! and there's a few more that I'll list when I can remember them. Someone name some songs please!

Who sings this song? You're nobody called today, she hung up when I asked her name... blah, blah blah (can't remember) she thinks she's being clever... I liked that one too as a kid.
    holy crap! i remember that song, but can't place the voice...yet! And I really don't want to google it. Trying to remember it on my own

Wendy, that song is called "Nobody" by Sylvia. I am great at matching songs with the singers. I do an internet classic country radio show so I have a good knowledge of it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F81XpfDKbQI" target="_blank"><font color="#000000"><span style="font-family: Helvetica">
    Last edited by Markrich; 03-06-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Markrich View Post
    Wendy, that song is called "Nobody" by Sylvia. I am great at matching songs with the singers. I do an internet classic country radio show so I have a good knowledge of it.
    Thank You! I was 10 when that was out, and I remember thinking to myself as a kid that I'd be kickin' nobodys ass! lol

remember this one?
    Last edited by Wendy A.; 03-06-2013 at 07:26 PM.

PurrPurr Guest
    My mother dragged me to a Statler Brothers concert around 1984. I remember being less than thrilled about going (come on; I was in my 20's and back then, people in my age bracket didn't listen to the stuff), but she said "I paid good money for these tickets, and not one is going to waste!" I'm glad she did take me, because Harold was a laugh riot and the music was beyond sublime. Today's so-called "country" is just plain autotuned garbage.

Thats a great song Wendy. Love Bocephus!

Wendy A. Guest
    oh yeah! That song makes me wanna pack my bags and move back to where my family is from in Kentucky.

Love it! Grew up on it. I like all kinds of music but slowly I am going back to the older stuff. My parents used to drag me to see Willie Nelson every time he was in town.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    Love it! Grew up on it. I like all kinds of music but slowly I am going back to the older stuff. My parents used to drag me to see Willie Nelson every time he was in town.
    That'd be cool to have said you've seen Willie Nelson!

Oh, I'm really starting to love this thread!Thanks Markrich!
    Remember this classic?
    Last edited by Wendy A.; 03-07-2013 at 06:45 AM.

You are welcome Wendy! Yes I remember "Swingin'". I play drums with a band that plays that song.

Wendy A. Guest
    You are welcome Wendy! Yes I remember "Swingin'". I play drums with a band that plays that song.
    that's too cool! I really had no idea how much I would enjoy this thread! It's quickly becoming my favorite!

Hank Sr., Willie, Waylon (my dead boyfriend), Cash, Kris, the Hag! The only new country artist I really like is Jamey Johnson. He's an awesome songwriter and he has a great voice.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Anyone here like traditional country music? I was brought up on it. I love it. I really do not like the stuff they are passing off as country music these days. Just sounds like pop music. I enjoy almost every artists pre 1990.
    I would say that by 1990 it was no longer traditional, in fact by 1970 it had been whored out to pop

But I am a purist..............

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    I would say that by 1990 it was no longer traditional, in fact by 1970 it had been whored out to pop

Come the early 90's, country did take the turn to cookie-cutter, soft-rock style, slowly losing its identity. But then again, Patsy Cline, Eddy Arnold, and Ray Price were knocked for "going pop". That's what led to the rise of west-coast country, spearheaded by Buck Owens.

I often listen to the Willie channel on XM and when Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys come on....ahhhh!

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    My mother dragged me to a Statler Brothers concert around 1984. I remember being less than thrilled about going (come on; I was in my 20's and back then, people in my age bracket didn't listen to the stuff), but she said "I paid good money for these tickets, and not one is going to waste!" I'm glad she did take me, because Harold was a laugh riot and the music was beyond sublime. Today's so-called "country" is just plain autotuned garbage.

I still enjoy them.

Nelliebean Guest
    I worked at a country music station in 1983 . It was my first exposure to the music and we still played the old stuff then.

Wow, to me classic country is pre-1964 country music, before Chet Atkins wrongly tried to infuse pop into that medium with his Nashville Strings. That event ended real country music in my opinion.

My favorite contemporary country music act. Junior Brown, has quit making records.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Granny listened to Loretta, Patsy, Dolly, Charlie Pride and them, etc. etc. My mom listened to the 80's folks like Barbara Mandrell, Eddie Rabbit, etc. I think some of the new stuff sounds a little like some of the old stuff. Take, for instance, The Pistol Annie's album. I could totally see Loretta singing "Family Feud", "Trailer For Rent" or even "Hell On Heels". "Bad Angel" by Dierks Bentley sounds like it was written for George Jones and Tammy Wynette. I also like "Pontoon" and "Boondocks" by Little Big Town. You can take Taylor Swift and the likes and hang em on a nail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Wow, to me classic country is pre-1964 country music, before Chet Atkins wrongly tried to infuse pop into that medium with his Nashville Strings. That event ended real country music in my opinion.

My favorite contemporary country music act. Junior Brown, has quit making records.
    Totally agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post

It's only been a little over a year since Volume 10 was released and he's out there all the time playing all the time so he is is still doing his thing. I love Cash, Buck Owens, Hank Williams etc. I even like some of Hank III's stuff. It's certainly not the commercial/pop/country that most play. Waylon and Willie? Yeah.

I have to say that I love Elizabeth Cook. Her stuff can't be called "classic country" but if you listen to her you can hear all that stuff and the influence it has had on her. She grew up sitting on bar stools listening to her parents playing real country music and then spending Sundays singing real gospel music. She has a real respect for the old stuff and you simply can't beat her voice. I subscribe to Sirius just to listen to her talk from 10-2 on her show "Apron Strings" on Outlaw Country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUyd5klFv40

Last edited by john*thomas; 03-08-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Bidmor Guest
    Waylon has been mentioned in this thread and when he sang "Bob Wills Is Still The King", Waylon was paying tribute to Bob Wills, the co-developer of Western Swing, and Bob's band, The Texas Playboys. Waylon's song mentions Tommy Duncan and he was the lead vocalist.

It don't mean a thang - if it ain't got that twang...

If there ain't a steel guitar in the song, it ain't country...

I LOVE old/traditional country music. 98% of it in my country is pre-1980.

mstee2u1972 Guest
    I like the old school country music also, preferably from the 1950's-1980's. I absolutely love and adore Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn! I get teased because of my love for country music because most of my acquaintances and family don't listen to it. However, I am very open minded when it comes to many things, especially music. I appreciate and respect all musical genres because I believe doing so makes me a well-rounded person. I can listen to the Notorious B.I.G. today and Luciano Pavarotti tomorrow--all forms of art, just different ways to showcase one's creativity and talent.

Last edited by mstee2u1972; 03-09-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    Waylon has been mentioned in this thread and when he sang "Bob Wills Is Still The King", Waylon was paying tribute to Bob Wills, the co-developer of Western Swing, and Bob's band, The Texas Playboys. Waylon's song mentions Tommy Duncan and he was the lead vocalist.

Okay, now YOU HAVE DONE IT!

I am a rabid Bob Wills fan!!
    5 Years ago I had the good fortune to meet Johnny Cuviello, an original member of The Texas Playboys. He was 94 at the time....gotta see if he is still alive
    He got up and played about 5 songs, it was FAB! I got to sit at his table all night and I danced (poorly) with him.
    He asked me where my husband was and I said "He's a musician, he's at a gig" and the old so and so leaned over and kissed me and told me he just KNEW I had good taste!

Ahhh, I just see he passed away last September

http://www.batesline.com/archives/20...rummer-bo.html

Bob Wills is STILL THE KING

Deep within my heart lies a melody.......................(Bob's gravestone inscription!)

Bunratty Guest

I would argue that the rot set in when they moved away from the old mainstays of fiddle and banjo to electric instruments

Listen to the Library of Congress 1930s recordings of Alan and John Lomax to hear what it was once like

Lomax preserved this type of music because he realised that the spread of mass media like radio would destroy it

Quote Originally Posted by Bunratty View Post
    I would argue that the rot set in when they moved away from the old mainstays of fiddle and banjo to electric instruments

Listen to the Library of Congress 1930s recordings of Alan and John Lomax to hear what it was once like

Lomax preserved this type of music because he realised that the spread of mass media like radio would destroy it
    Indeed....thank goodness for eccentrics!

Okay, now YOU HAVE DONE IT!

I am a rabid Bob Wills fan!!
    5 Years ago I had the good fortune to meet Johnny Cuviello, an original member of The Texas Playboys. He was 94 at the time....gotta see if he is still alive
    He got up and played about 5 songs, it was FAB! I got to sit at his table all night and I danced (poorly) with him.
    He asked me where my husband was and I said "He's a musician, he's at a gig" and the old so and so leaned over and kissed me and told me he just KNEW I had good taste!

Ahhh, I just see he passed away last September

http://www.batesline.com/archives/20...rummer-bo.html

Bob Wills is STILL THE KING

Deep within my heart lies a melody.......................(Bob's gravestone inscription!)
    A couple of years back we saw the remaining (or at least the current lineup) of the Texas Playboys in Miami, OK, at the Coleman Theatre. (Google that - the building is AMAZING and they've restored the interior to its original specs, even the original pipe organ.) They KILLED. Tommy Allsup was a god. They played for over two hours, just nailed it. If they ever come near you, GO.

Bob's epitaph is one of the coolest, most poignant I've heard of. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by mstee2u1972 View Post
    I like the old school country music also, preferably from the 1950's-1980's. I absolutely love and adore Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn! I get teased because of my love for country music because most of my acquaintances and family don't listen to it. However, I am very open minded when it comes to many things, especially music. I appreciate and respect all musical genres because I believe doing so makes me a well-rounded person. I can listen to the Notorious B.I.G. today and Luciano Pavarotti tomorrow--all forms of art, just different ways to showcase one's creativity and talent.

I should be smacked for failing to mention Loretta and Patsy. I adore them both. And Dolly, I loooove Dolly. You're damn right, it's all art, (unless it's Insane Clown Posse, of course). I can go from old country to the Beasties to Sepultura in the same half hour. My playlists are completely schizoid.

Granny listened to Loretta, Patsy, Dolly, Charlie Pride and them, etc. etc. My mom listened to the 80's folks like Barbara Mandrell, Eddie Rabbit, etc. I think some of the new stuff sounds a little like some of the old stuff. Take, for instance, The Pistol Annie's album. I could totally see Loretta singing "Family Feud", "Trailer For Rent" or even "Hell On Heels". "Bad Angel" by Dierks Bentley sounds like it was written for George Jones and Tammy Wynette. I also like "Pontoon" and "Boondocks" by Little Big Town. You can take Taylor Swift and the likes and hang em on a nail.
    I enjoyed Dierks's 'Up on the Ridge' album, and I like 'Bad Angel.' I don't know that I necessarily like Miranda Lambert's music, but I think I like her. She strikes me as one of those tough Okie gals that could drink you under the table or punch you in the face. She's got a big, ballsy voice too.

I love this man. If you don't own Jamey Johnson's 'Guitar Song' album, get it! He also does a great cover of Vern Gosdin's "Set 'em Up Joe." He's the real deal. (Check out the signatures on his guitar - holy hell there are some names on there!)

Last edited by Nessa; 03-10-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Bidmor Guest
    There's still many younger real country singers around. Go to YT and search for Amber Digby, Justin Trevino, and Jake Hooker. You won't be disappointed.

Shoot, nosing around a few minutes ago on YT, I saw some Tony Booth and Gene Watson...those guys are still around and still sounding great.

For those of you who commented on my Bob Wills post, glad you enjoyed it. Texas...from Bob Wills to Van Cliburn to Willie Nelson...can't say we aint versatile.

PurrPurr Guest
    Have the windows open today and heard "Elvira" by the Oak Ridge Boys playing on someone's radio or whatever. Brought back some GOOD memories!

Bidmor Guest
    Ah The Oaks...were big in gospel music so that's why they can sing four-part harmony, not unlike the Statlers although the Oaks' tenure at the heights of country didn't rival that of Statlers.

There's still many younger real country singers around. Go to YT and search for Amber Digby, Justin Trevino, and Jake Hooker. You won't be disappointed.

Shoot, nosing around a few minutes ago on YT, I saw some Tony Booth and Gene Watson...those guys are still around and still sounding great.
    I love love love Justin Trevino. I have the CD's "More Loud Music and Strong Wine" and "Take One As Needed For Pain". So many great songs. He also did a duet album with Amber Digby. She is another great. I love her version of Connie Smith's "I'm Ashamed Of You". Jake Hooker, another great. Texas produces a lot of great music. Man oh Man, Tony Booth and Gene Watson. Both are legends. I recently bought the remastered double albums of Tony Booth and got 2 of Gene Watson's. I love how they put 2 original albums complete on 1 cd remastered. They sound incredible. I chat with Tony Booth from time to time on facebook.

Does anyone get CMTPure? It's like CMT, only it's actually JUST videos. They have three "shows" - Pure Music (mostly pop country crap), Pure Vintage (90's and prior, lots of mullets), and my fave, Pure Edge, which is like up-and-coming and 'alt-country'. Some of the stuff they play on Pure Edge is garbage, some of it isn't what I would call country, but I have discovered some fantastic stuff on there, like JD McPherson (since when is rockabilly the same as country?), Trampled by Turtles, Alabama Shakes, etc.

- R.H. Sin

darlingmissmarple Guest
    Mark Rioch thank you do much. I like most music but country is my home. Ill be showing my age (which I don't mind) but I grerw up listening to Hank Snow Kittie Wells, Ray Price, Webb Pierce, etc/ Also Hank Williams was still being played often though he had died the year I was born, I think, 1948. I loved the ones popular in the 60s and some 70s. I liked Carlie Rich, loved Patsy and Loretta. Never much liked Conway except for his duets with Loretta. I can't listen to rap music and I'm not a big jazz fan but I do like some of it, love the blues, like some classical, amd the whole Les miserables from the stage show not the movie so much. But this is a country music thread so I'll get off that. Tammy Winnett and Dottie West were favorites of mine.

I liked Jerry Jeff Walker. I had never heard of him until I moved to Houston in the 70's I liked his "Up Against The Wall Red Neck Mother." I went to a concert where he, Willie Nelson, David Allen Cole and some others I can't remember. It was called the Son of The Cosmic Cowboy. It was greatand I think the cost was less than $10.00. Not quite as goood as when I was a senior in highschoo and saw a country/rock and roll mixed concert in Birmingham Alabama. Saw a bunch of country music stars like Skeeter Davis and Sonny James, Floyd Cramer, The Everly Brothers I can't remember the rest. Also The Rolling Stones on their first American tour, and the Beach Boys plus one of those 3 guy duets...either Jan and Dean or Peter and Gordon or someone like that. The ticket cost $6.50.

Sorry I got carrioed away there.

darlingmissmarple Guest
    I'm also sorry that I can't spell and make typos way too often.

I love country music. I was also raised on it. My Momma isn't a big listener of music, but when she did it was ALWAYS country. She never listened to anything else. She used to go to a lot of concerts back in the day (Travis Tritt, Vince Gill, Alan Jackson, Toby Keith when he was still cool, ect.), and she took my to my first concert when I was about 8. Reba, her favorite! I can appreciate (and enjoy!) the classics (when I was young I went through a major Dolly phase. One of my dads sisters used to always tell me that when I get a little older her and I would go on a trip to Dollywood together but we never did), but the late 80's early 90's country music brings me back to my childhood.
    I also love today's country music. Miranda is one of my all time favorites. I love singing her stuff (although I really don't sing much in front of people lol). I LOVE Luke Bryan (just saw him in concert 2 weeks ago, he was INCREDIBLE).

Really, I love just about ALL music. I have always had an intense love for music. Its kind of weird because it isn't learned, or genetic, it just kind of is
    Last edited by SassyMonkey719; 03-13-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️

“Get drunk and sing Elvira”

Quote Originally Posted by darlingmissmarple View Post
    I liked Jerry Jeff Walker. I had never heard of him until I moved to Houston in the 70's I liked his "Up Against The Wall Red Neck Mother."
    I'm so glad someone mentioned Jerry Jeff Walker, woot! We have some of his stuff on vinyl!

- R.H. Sin

Bidmor Guest
    Ain't nobody mentioned this name so far so I will...Tom T. Hall...great writer, great balladeer, good singer. I still have many of his albums and, especially his early albums, every cut is a gem. Like Willie, Tom made money at first writing only. Remember "Harper Valley PTA" or "Margie's At The Lincoln Park Inn"?

But then Tom T. started recording his own stuff...Ballad Of Switchblade Knife, A Week In A County Jail, Old Dogs Children And Watermelon Wine, The Year Clayton Delaney Died...man could he paint pictures!

Wendy A. Guest
    Ain't nobody mentioned this name so far so I will...Tom T. Hall...great writer, great balladeer, good singer. I still have many of his albums and, especially his early albums, every cut is a gem. Like Willie, Tom made money at first writing only. Remember "Harper Valley PTA" or "Margie's At The Lincoln Park Inn"?

But then Tom T. started recording his own stuff...Ballad Of Switchblade Knife, A Week In A County Jail, Old Dogs Children And Watermelon Wine, The Year Clayton Delaney Died...man could he paint pictures!
    I loved that Harper Valley PTA song when I was a kid! Almost forgot all about it!

love Tom T. Hall. He has such an honest down home voice and songwriting. Old Dogs Children and Watermelon Wine is my favorite. I also like "I Love"' "i Care" and "Homecoming" songs a lot. I have an awesome CD called "The Definitive Collection" which has a lot of good songs.

darlingmissmarple Guest
    Tom T. didn't just sing down to earth songs, he was a down to earth man. I met him once at a poltical rally. He was like your best neighboor, not a shred of "star" about him. Charlie Daiels was there to and the Gatlin Brothers. I didn't get to speak to any of the Gatlins but did Charlie. It was an outdoor event and boiling hot a huge crowd. My oldest daughter who was 13 at the time. passed out from the heat. Because we were at the very front of the crowd, they took her under the rope and laid her on a bench in the shade. After the EMT's got her rehydrated Charlie came over and talked to her. He brought her a Pepsi. She kept that can for year. When we got home she called her best friend and screamed,"Guess who I met today....Charlie Danials!! " After gushing over him for five minutes, she daid "Oh yeah, I met the President of the United States. too." Shows you who really rates in tihs world.

My grandfather raised me on Hank Williams, Ernest Tubbs and others. I really enjoy the "classic" stuff. I listen to a lot of 80's and 90's country too. I like some of the current releases but not the mainstream stuff. Actually yesterday I downloaded "More and More" by Webb Pierce.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

darlingmissmarple Guest
    The pnly current counry singer I have bought cds is Alan Jackson. I really liked Keith Whittly, too. What a loss it was when he died.

Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    I downloaded "More and More" by Webb Pierce.
    Webb Pierce was one of the all time greats! 2 of my all time favorite country songs are "Wondering" and "There Stands The Glass". Webb became the superstar of the time when Hank Williams Sr. Passed away in 1953. Always remember Webb had a swimming pool shaped like a guitar!