Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: George H.W. Bush

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's pronouced Fee-Shed.
    Posts
    971

    George H.W. Bush

    Dead at 94.

    Knew he wouldn't last long without Barbara.

    https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/01/polit...ead/index.html
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone


    Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

    Only the good die young....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    toronto, canada ( Etobicoke)
    Posts
    4,416
    RIP - he deserved a second term. His son not so much.
    Last edited by cash; 11-30-2018 at 10:13 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bulldog Town
    Posts
    36,803

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,112
    RIP, George.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    3,905
    RIP.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    13,212
    RIP.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,475
    RIP Sir, you and Barbara are reunited

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    toronto, canada ( Etobicoke)
    Posts
    4,416
    I remember when he invited Dana Carvey to the White House - can you imagine the current idiot doing this ?

    https://www.mediaite.com/online/watc...e-white-house/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Burlington,Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    3,206
    Trump and his current wife could never be like George & Barbara, this WAS a President and First Lady. All class. RIP Sir.
    To really know people is to be able to read between the lines on their faces.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,863
    Good riddance to bad (racist) garbage.
    Way back in 1988 he gave the ok to the
    Willie Horton commercial (a scary black man
    will kill and rape all the white women if you vote
    for Michael Dukakis)

    He was no better than Donald Trump.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,863
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    I remember when he invited Dana Carvey to the White House - can you imagine the current idiot doing this ?

    https://www.mediaite.com/online/watc...e-white-house/
    No, because Donald Trump is a thin skinned coward.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    499
    London, you are a veritable font of honey and good-ol Canadian sweetness! I may gave to go back to church...

    George HW Bush was a good example of one of those solid, older generation people they truly "don't make anymore". Every time someone like that passes, the world becomes a little poorer. He was an impressive fellow, but never really seemed "presidential" to me. He had the chops intellectually and emotionally, but did not really project well.

    REASON FOR EDIT- You know, a smart fellow would catch typos in the "preview" function!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    421
    Typical politician of his time. Father Prescott Bush used his influence and money to get GHW Bush appointments and then he did the same for his son GB. The hanging chad scam is in the long line of dirty Bush dealings.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    No, because Donald Trump is a thin skinned coward.
    Unlike the previous community organizer and apologist in chief who let cities burn amidst riots under his rule.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,863
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberslammer View Post
    Unlike the previous community organizer and apologist in chief who let cities burn amidst riots under his rule.
    Nope sorry, Barack Obama should be on Mount Rushmore.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bulldog Town
    Posts
    36,803
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Nope sorry, Barack Obama should be on Mount Rushmore.
    This.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,112
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    This.
    Yeah.
    Amazing what comparative perspective can do.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    13,212
    Mt. Rushmore is fine the way it is.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Nope sorry, Barack Obama should be on Mount Rushmore.
    EDIT. That was smartass of me. EDIT

    Leave Mt Rushmore as it is. I think we agree few or no modern Presidents can match the ones we have there.
    Last edited by Follower; 12-12-2018 at 10:44 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Follower View Post
    EDIT. That was smartass of me. EDIT

    Leave Mt Rushmore as it is. I think we agree few or no modern Presidents can match the ones we have there.
    If so, I wonder if that is partly (or largely) due to the society that produces them and the concerns of that society that they are championing or addressing.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    499
    That's food for thought. I suppose mostly I believe "they don't make them like they used to", that modern people are somehow very different from people, say, 100 years ago.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    499
    Another thought- as a Gen X guy I have come to not quite respect the Boomers for different reasons. This is knee-jerk nonsense I know. So President Trump could one day end up there. Now I don't know the logistics- is there room for another one? Can they expand the work? I don't know. So I have this odd paradox- I like President Trump very much but on some much lower level I know he's a Boomer and that taints things.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Follower View Post
    Another thought- as a Gen X guy I have come to not quite respect the Boomers for different reasons. This is knee-jerk nonsense I know. So President Trump could one day end up there. Now I don't know the logistics- is there room for another one? Can they expand the work? I don't know. So I have this odd paradox- I like President Trump very much but on some much lower level I know he's a Boomer and that taints things.
    Sorry I was gone once you said: I like President Trump.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Follower View Post
    That's food for thought. I suppose mostly I believe "they don't make them like they used to", that modern people are somehow very different from people, say, 100 years ago.
    Interesting.

    I don't think we're fundamentally different in "construction".
    I would say though that our modern world may have lessened or removed some of the challenges\adversities that people used to just live with as a matter of course. Absence of those daily life-struggles might shape our characters in different ways than in the past. If that were to change, so would most of us.

    And yeah, leave Mt. Rushmore alone, don't take a chance on damaging it.
    We can have all the statues we like without doing that.

    I got curious and read a little about Mt. Rushmore and Gutzon Borglum (artist).
    I'd have to agree\say that our modern Presidents don't quite have the credentials to be included with those other guys:

    https://www.nps.gov/moru/learn/histo...presidents.htm
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,863
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Interesting.

    I don't think we're fundamentally different in "construction".
    I would say though that our modern world may have lessened or removed some of the challenges\adversities that people used to just live with as a matter of course. Absence of those daily life-struggles might shape our characters in different ways than in the past. If that were to change, so would most of us.

    And yeah, leave Mt. Rushmore alone, don't take a chance on damaging it.
    We can have all the statues we like without doing that.

    I got curious and read a little about Mt. Rushmore and Gutzon Borglum (artist).
    I'd have to agree\say that our modern Presidents don't quite have the credentials to be included with those other guys:

    https://www.nps.gov/moru/learn/histo...presidents.htm
    Barack O'Bama should be on MT. Rushmore.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,112
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Barack O'Bama should be on MT. Rushmore.
    I guess he could scale it and spend a little time up there.
    That's likely the only way he'll ever be on Mt. Rushmore, regardless of deserts.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,863
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I guess he could scale it and spend a little time up there.
    That's likely the only way he'll ever be on Mt. Rushmore, regardless of deserts.
    Barack O'Bama should be on MT. Rushmore, a better man unlike some
    other ones who were slave owners.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •