Thread: Idiot killed by "uncontacted" tribe on North Sentinel Island

Idiot killed by "uncontacted" tribe on North Sentinel Island

I was surprised nobody made a thread about this one.

This guy was a missionary who wanted to share the Good News with the famously unfriendly-to-outsiders folks on North Sentinel Island.

This is Darwin Awards stuff for a number of reasons, not least of which is that they ONLY SPEAK THEIR OWN LANGUAGE, which I am guessing might have been a stumbling block to conversion for the average English-speaking dipshit.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/22/asia/...ntl/index.html
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

As far as this incident goes, I refuse to judge someone who probably thought he was doing what God wanted him to do. This is not the first time a missionary has been killed for going into harm's way, and sometimes their death opens doors. God works in mysterious ways.
    Last edited by cindyt; 11-24-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post

This guy was a missionary who wanted to share the Good News with the famously unfriendly-to-outsiders folks on North Sentinel Island.

This is Darwin Awards stuff for a number of reasons, not least of which is that they ONLY SPEAK THEIR OWN LANGUAGE, which I am guessing might have been a stumbling block to conversion for the average English-speaking dipshit.

So true, he went to the island with the express purpose to destroy
    peoples way of life( 3 times before he was killed)
    Also can we do this with self righteous vegans that walk into a steakhouse?
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I have to think that if God wanted those people to be Christians, he could have employed a more effective mechanism than an unwelcome mortal agent.
    The guy disregarded the fact that his presence wasn't just dangerous to himself, it could well have unleashed on those isolated people diseases for which they have no immunity and which might have decimated their population; and may yet.

Some people think God wants them to kill abortion doctors.
    Some guy thought God wanted him to behead another guy on a bus in Canada.
    Some people think God wants them to hate gay people, Muslims, or even other Christians who don't belong to the same sect that they do.

I'd have to say that if you think God is telling you to do or say something, it's probably the wrong thing to do or say.
    The right thing to do is to get pronto to a mental health professional, the right thing to say is that you're hearing voices telling you to do stuff.

If we accept that God has ever spoken to or through someone, how can we dismiss as crazy or criminal anyone else who makes the same claim offering the same evidence for their inspiration?

I would say that logically, we can't; if we accept that in any case.

Maybe God really was talking to Jim Jones and David Koresh.
    Maybe God really told this guy to go to the island.

Or maybe they're all just bat-shit crazy.
    Maybe everybody who has ever made that claim was just equally bat-shit crazy.

I hate that this dumbass lost his life in such a stupid, useless and unnecessary fashion. I also hate that he put those people at risk; and now others might risk harm all the way around again trying to recover the body.

That's just bat-shit crazy.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I have to think that if God wanted those people to be Christians, he could have employed a more effective mechanism than an unwelcome mortal agent.
    The guy disregarded the fact that his presence wasn't just dangerous to himself, it could well have unleashed on those isolated people diseases for which they have no immunity and which might have decimated their population; and may yet.

Some people think God wants them to kill abortion doctors.
    Some guy thought God wanted him to behead another guy on a bus in Canada.
    Some people think God wants them to hate gay people, Muslims, or even other Christians who don't belong to the same sect that they do.

I'd have to say that if you think God is telling you to do or say something, it's probably the wrong thing to do or say.
    The right thing to do is to get pronto to a mental health professional, the right thing to say is that you're hearing voices telling you to do stuff.

If we accept that God has ever spoken to or through someone, how can we dismiss as crazy or criminal anyone else who makes the same claim offering the same evidence for their inspiration?

I would say that logically, we can't; if we accept that in any case.

Maybe God really was talking to Jim Jones and David Koresh.
    Maybe God really told this guy to go to the island.

Or maybe they're all just bat-shit crazy.
    Maybe everybody who has ever made that claim was just equally bat-shit crazy.

I hate that this dumbass lost his life in such a stupid, useless and unnecessary fashion. I also hate that he put those people at risk; and now others might risk harm all the way around again trying to recover the body.

That's just bat-shit crazy.
    Well said....

Funny thread title Upset.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Funny thread title Upset.
    Thank you. I wasn't sure if there was room for "totally justified" in front of "tribe."
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

I read some report over the weekend saying that they (the totally justified, uncontacted tribe) had dissuaded some previous visitors from pursuing contact by shooting at them with blunt arrows.

If true, that suggests that they simply wanted to chase people away rather than harm them; at least on those occasions; although they have killed before too.

I also read that the interloper believed that God was "sheltering" him and helping him reach the island undetected by the authorities.

That God - he's such a joker.
    First, Abraham and Issac; now this guy...

This is exactly what we do as a country to others. Attack them for not being like us and insisting they change their ways to accept our beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    This is exactly what we do as a country to others. Attack them for not being like us and insisting they change their ways to accept our beliefs.
    Before it's all over with, we may attack and wipe out that whole, murderous lot of heathens.
    But we should give them a chance to convert before we kill them - it's just the charitable thing to do.

I wonder if that island has much in the way of natural resources?
    No matter - it might still make a great, out-of-the-way little spot for a vacation resort; sort of along the lines of Mar-a-Lago, maybe.

Those people are doing exactly what history shows they should do.
    I bet many Native Americans wish that they could have a do-over and handle it more like that.

Yeah, the poor guy was naive to say the least, but I wouldn't be surprised should the romanticized inhabitants be found to be ruled by a despot demi-god who has his people hoodwinked into ministering to his every desire which is not that outsiders come and spoil his and his goons' sybaritic party. Cannibalism, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by MurkyWaters View Post
    Yeah, the poor guy was naive to say the least, but I wouldn't be surprised should the romanticized inhabitants be found to be ruled by a despot demi-god who has his people hoodwinked into ministering to his every desire which is not that outsiders come and spoil his and his goons' sybaritic party. Cannibalism, anyone?
    That would make them a lot like us these days, I'd say.
    Reports are that they buried the guy - that would be quite wasteful for cannibals; unless maybe they carved him up first.

There again, I've read that some cannibals eat their captors\victims in the belief that they will then inherit traits like courage or prowess in battle, stuff like that.
    Maybe they determined there wasn't anything at all there that they were willing to risk picking up from the guy, so burial it was.

They may have BBQ'd him underground. Seriously. Prepare the coals, stick him in the pit, cover him with earth or leaves or something, and drool.
    Last edited by cindyt; 11-26-2018 at 03:07 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mmm, Long Pig.

GOD IS NOT DEAD

too bad it wasn't Joel Osteen.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    too bad it wasn't Joel Osteen.
    That one is just a little too crafty to make this mistake...
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

That one is just a little too crafty to make this mistake...
    He's something all right. I was friends with him on FB until I read a post of his that did not jibe with the Bible, so I dumped his butt.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I wonder if missionaries have a different flavor or texture than atheists or TV preachers?
    Probably depends a lot on diet and how they're cooked, I'm guessing.

Indeed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cthulhu__s_seal_of_approval_by_hwango-d4rc81x.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	54748  

I read somewhere that they don't think these folks are cannibals, based on the fact that they apparently didn't eat the 2 fishermen they killed a few years ago.

Also, some sources believe they haven't even developed an ability to make fire. Eating this Chau idiot is unappetizing enough to me; could you imagine eating missionary tartare???
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    So true, and very well said.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    As far as this incident goes, I refuse to judge someone who probably thought he was doing what God wanted him to do. This is not the first time a missionary has been killed for going into harm's way, and sometimes their death opens doors. God works in mysterious ways.
    Case in point: Elizabeth Elliott's husband Jim Elliott along with a few others in South America in the 1950's. My mom knew the people involved as they went to Wheaton College together.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

"What God wants you to do" can cover any number of scenarios from missionary work to mass murder.
    If one person and act is somehow admirable or understandable because it's what God wants; how can we condemn another considering that they also fully believe it's what God wants them to do? Because one act aligns with our sensibilities and the other doesn't?

I'd also have to ask why God needs humans to do that work if He can just will the final outcome.
    In any case, I don't think it can be seriously claimed that rational or logical considerations enter into the decision making process when arriving at a perceived directive from God.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    "What God wants you to do" can cover any number of scenarios from missionary work to mass murder.
    If one person and act is somehow admirable or understandable because it's what God wants; how can we condemn another considering that they also fully believe it's what God wants them to do? Because one act aligns with our sensibilities and the other doesn't?

I'd also have to ask why God needs humans to do that work if He can just will the final outcome.
    In any case, I don't think it can be seriously claimed that rational or logical considerations enter into the decision making process when arriving at a perceived directive from God.
    Yes. The first name that usually comes to my mind when somebody defends a person on that basis is Jim Jones.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Crabs gotta eat too.