Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Errol Flynn

Amberlights Guest

Errol Flynn

Any Errol Flynn fans here? He is somebody I've always found fascinating. He had to have the most unique life of any actor, with his advertures in the South Seas & hellraising around the world.

He's another star that's had a lot of sensational lies written about, so I stick to the books written by people who knew him personally. The documentary The Adventures of Errol Flynn was most interesting, & Olivia de Havilland had great stories to tell.

I'm hoping Findagrave will do a Flynn story. There will never be anybody like him again!

candleinthewind Guest
    The stories that I have heard are wild. Drinking and orgies and more drinking and more orgies.

b57hrle Guest
    I'm a fan... one all time favs is Captain Blood... he and Olivia were perfect together on screen... Just saw that documentary recently was great to see again... even older Olivia is still a true lady!

He really took a beating with those rape charges but to me, he didnt seem the type to have to rape to get a romp... I wouldnt have said no ...

Bobpeck56 Guest
    Amberlights, have you read the book by Thomas McNulty on the life of Errol Flynn? If not, check it out. It's one of the best ever written about him. Tony Thomas and Earl Conrad's books are also great reads. There are two trash books out there, one by Charles Higham, and another by David Bret. Both are complete waste of time and paper.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bobpeck56; 10-08-2007 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Addendum

Amberlights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by b57hrle View Post
    I'm a fan... one all time favs is Captain Blood... he and Olivia were perfect together on screen... Just saw that documentary recently was great to see again... even older Olivia is still a true lady!

Yes, he was something to look at in Captain Blood! The chemistry between Olivia & Errol was no doubt heightened by the fact they were really in love with each other.

He really took a beating with those rape charges but to me, he didnt seem the type to have to rape to get a romp... I wouldnt have said no ...
    That was probably the beginning of the personal problems that sparked his self-destructive path.....the public image from that point on made him a joke. And......I wouldn't have said no either. In his prime, he was breathtakingly handsome.

Amberlights Guest
    Bobpeck,

Yes, I have read that book. I agree, it was great reading. I've also read Errol & Me by his 2nd wife, Nora Eddington, Errol Flynn a Memoir, by Earl Conrad, & am currently reading My Days with Errol Flynn, by his friend & movie stuntman Buster Wiles. I'll be getting his daughter Rory's book, The Baron of Mulholland, showing the family man side of him.

Bobpeck56 Guest
    The Buster Wiles book is another good one! I recently obtained a copy of Nora's book too. Had read it many years ago. Another one is Inherited Risk: Errol and Sean Flynn in Hollywood And Vietnam, by Jeffrey Meyers, which is also worth looking into.

Amberlights Guest
    I've been thinking of getting Inherited Risk. It's too bad about what happened to his son. But, there are 2 grandsons that are actors, so the Flynn male lineage continues.

I'm hoping Olivia de Havilland's autobio will come out soon. It's been in the works for a long time, & I'm sure she'll have lots to say about the Tasmanian Devil that she carried a torch for.

Speaking of that, have you seen the video clip on You Tube with Olivia on the Dinah Shore show, talking about her crush on him & the pranks he played on her to show his affection? She's adorable in it, blushing & playing with her pearl necklace. If you're interested here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXVQETGz9S0

b57hrle Guest
    Amberlights that was an awesome clip, I just sat laughing at how sweet and adorable Olivia was, sometimes I wonder how different things would have been for Errol if they had gotten together way back when... He sure was something in his prime!

Bobpeck56 Guest
    Great clip Amberlights, thanks for sharing it!

Amberlights Guest
    Glad you liked it!

12. 10-09-2007, 08:27 AM
    Reason
    wrong info

knothere Guest
    I wouldn't take a dead 4 ft snake as a hint that anyone liked me either lool.

dbrian Guest

Errol Flynn -- Robin Hood--Man in Tights?

I love the earlier films of Errol Flynn. I've heard that in his prime he had a place in the Hollywood Hills that was a notorious haven for his slutty activities. Wild parties, etc. It think he bought the place because it was supposedly haunted. Who were some of his party buds? And did he really swing both ways or is that just a rumor? Also that he liked those movies with tights for more than one reason? lol

However he lived he sure looked bad at 50 or so when he bit it. He must have lived hard. ANyone know what did him in?
    Last edited by dbrian; 10-21-2007 at 07:43 PM.

Jaxxx Guest
    From what I know, he was a womanizer, heavy drinker, and like drugs. He had a taste for teenage girls that got him into alot of trouble with the law. He looked bad because he drink himself to death. He actually had a heart attack at some party and died. As to whether he liked guys, I wouldn't be surprised, he lived a pretty hedonistic life.

dbrian Guest
    That was it--teenage girls. I think that was what I thinking about. Seems like he got into a big scandal. Studio managed him through it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by dbrian View Post
    That was it--teenage girls. I think that was what I thinking about. Seems like he got into a big scandal. Studio managed him through it I think.
    ERROL liked young girls. The rape case against him in 1942 was a bunch of shit. Fortunately he got through it. The book on him by Higham claimed that he was bi-sexual. Who knows ? NORA EDDINGTON, his second wife, said it was bullshit. That one daughter of theirs though has got to be gay; she makes CHARLTON HESTON look fem. There were quite a few accounts from his contemporaries that mentioned that ERROL liked to watch his friends during sex. It said that he liked to see the mens rearends thrusting away; the insinuation apparent.

I do know that two of his friends for his heavy partying were actor BRUCE CABOT & ERROL' stand-in who I think was named JIM FLEMING.
    CABOT later sued ERROL in the 50s over lost wages due to some mis-hap on his boat or something and according ERROL'S third wife, PATRICE WYMORE the lawsuit was a major thorn in her husband's side & brought a long friendship to an abrupt end.

PvN73 Guest
    Supposedly he could watch what was going on in the bedrooms of his house in the hollywood hills as he had vantage points from the attic above.

His last girlfriend was only around 15 or so when they met, his first wife kept taking all of his money even when he was broke (she took him to court if his was late making any of the child support payments).

They just showed a documentary on him here in Australia - very interesting indeed.

He died of heart failure in Vacouver in1959. Very sad indeed, he was quite the handsome man

motherogod Guest
    And that's where the phrase "in like Flynn" comes from... he got "in" a lot!

JeffD Guest

Boys will be boys...

I posted this in another thread but it belongs here. Errol had some friends with a wicked sense of humor.

[SIZE=2]After John Barrymore's death on May 29, 1942, his corpse was taken to the Pierce Brothers' mortuary on Sunset Boulevard. Barrymore had been staying with his friend Errol Flynn for several weeks prior to his death and Errol and some other friends, including the madcap director Raoul Walsh, gathered at a bar to commiserate on John's passing. Walsh, claiming he was too upset to socialize, pretended to go home. Instead, he and two friends went to the funeral home and bribed the caretaker, giving him $200 to lend them Barrymore's body for awhile. Transporting it to Flynn's house in Walsh's station wagon, they propped it in Errol's favorite living room chair, which they positioned to face the door. Flynn arrived late and described his reaction in his autobiography: "I walked in, sad and alone. As I opened the door I pressed the button. The lights went on and â?? I stared into the face of Barrymore. His eyes were closed. He looked puffed, white, bloodless. They hadn't embalmed him yet. I let out a delirious scream." Errol bolted from the house, intending to flee in his car. His friends caught up with him on the porch and convinced him it was only a gag. "I went back in, still shaking. I retired to my room upstairs shaken and sober. My heart pounded. I couldn't sleep the rest of the night." (After The Funeral)[/SIZE]

dbrian Guest
    LOL Awesome story about Barrymore. Those were the days...

b57hrle Guest
    Great info on Errol! There's an earlier thread on Errol here... http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198

This would be cool combined with the first one! Have a great day!

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    From what I know, he was a womanizer, heavy drinker, and like drugs. He had a taste for teenage girls that got him into alot of trouble with the law. He looked bad because he drink himself to death. He actually had a heart attack at some party and died. As to whether he liked guys, I wouldn't be surprised, he lived a pretty hedonistic life.

Yep....I think he screwed & drank himself to death....not a bad way to go.....you can live to be a hundred without every truly having lived....not a problem for him

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I posted this in another thread but it belongs here. Errol had some friends with a wicked sense of humor.

[SIZE=2]After John Barrymore's death on May 29, 1942, his corpse was taken to the Pierce Brothers' mortuary on Sunset Boulevard. Barrymore had been staying with his friend Errol Flynn for several weeks prior to his death and Errol and some other friends, including the madcap director Raoul Walsh, gathered at a bar to commiserate on John's passing. Walsh, claiming he was too upset to socialize, pretended to go home. Instead, he and two friends went to the funeral home and bribed the caretaker, giving him $200 to lend them Barrymore's body for awhile. Transporting it to Flynn's house in Walsh's station wagon, they propped it in Errol's favorite living room chair, which they positioned to face the door. Flynn arrived late and described his reaction in his autobiography: "I walked in, sad and alone. As I opened the door I pressed the button. The lights went on and â?? I stared into the face of Barrymore. His eyes were closed. He looked puffed, white, bloodless. They hadn't embalmed him yet. I let out a delirious scream." Errol bolted from the house, intending to flee in his car. His friends caught up with him on the porch and convinced him it was only a gag. "I went back in, still shaking. I retired to my room upstairs shaken and sober. My heart pounded. I couldn't sleep the rest of the night." (After The Funeral)[/SIZE]
    This was reenacted in the 1976 film [SIZE=4]W.C.FIELDS AND ME [/SIZE]

Handsome [SIZE=4]ERROL FLYNN[/SIZE];
    All of the above are from the mid to late 1930s.

poppie Guest
    Errol Flynn was investigated many times and was accused even more times of being a Nazi spy. This could very well be true, but it was never proved to be a fact. During World War 2, some Irish people were more than troublesome to England and did indeed aid the Germans. It was not so much they wanted Germany to win the war, but their hatred for England was greater. The Irish hoped that if Germany won the war, Ireland would be free forever of England's occupation and hold on their country.

[SIZE=4]And had the nazis won what then would have been the advantage to ERROL FLYNN[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]?[/SIZE]

Though he had some Irish blood in him as well as British, his family's bloodlines had for several generations lived in Tasmania. ERROL was Tasmanian born & bred. He lived in the United States from the mid 1930s on until he died in late '59; he also had a home in Jamaica.

Amberlights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrian View Post
    I love the earlier films of Errol Flynn. I've heard that in his prime he had a place in the Hollywood Hills that was a notorious haven for his slutty activities. Wild parties, etc. It think he bought the place because it was supposedly haunted.

That was his Mulholland Farm, which he had built for himself. I have read that Ricky Nelson & his family lived there at one time, & said there was unpleasant, weird activities that went on in the house that creeped them out. In hindsight, the question of it possibly being Flynn's ghost trying to warn them of the fate Ricky Nelson would have, was mentioned. They didn't like it & left. It has since been torn down.

He also rented a house in Malibu with David Niven, which they called Cirrhoisis by the Sea, because of the wild parties.

However he lived he sure looked bad at 50 or so when he bit it. He must have lived hard. ANyone know what did him in?
    Heart attack with several contributing factors.......cirrhoisis of the liver too. Drs. told him he had only a year to live, he didn't even last that long. When they did the autopsy, the coroner said he had the insides of a 75 yr. old man.

Amberlights Guest
    [quote=PvN73;18809]They just showed a documentary on him here in Australia - very interesting indeed.

Tasmanian Devil......I hope that will be shown in the States soon. There was another interesting documentary on him from a couple of years ago, Adventures of Errol Flynn.

Amberlights Guest
    There's a video of Flynn from 1959, after he had been in Cuba with Castro, as a mystery guest on a Canadian show. The panelists have to guess who he is (he is hidden from them & disguises his voice.....amusing stuff), afterwards it goes into his thoughts about the Cuban Revolution & Castro.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=zyuk5eCuvH0

magblax Guest
    I LOVE Errol Flynn. Ijust read in an Alice Cooper interview today that he uses one of Errol's swords as a stage prop in his concerts.

leevancleef Guest
    He was gorgeous and in my opinion a very nice actor.
    This is a picture of ERROL taken during the trial for the rape charges(Fortunately he was found innocent of the charges)

Vicki Lester Guest
    I have a 1955 Confidential magazine. Talks about the house on Mullholland Drive with the one-way mirrors and pot parties. Guess it was known then too!

Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    He was gorgeous and in my opinion a very nice actor.
    This is a picture of ERROL taken during the trial for the rape charges(Fortunately he was found innocent of the charges)
    [SIZE=4]I believe that that's JERRY GEISLER on the left & GREGSON BAUTZER on [/SIZE][SIZE=4]the right[/SIZE]

Tebssis Guest
    Besides being one of the best looking men EVER in Hollywood, I thought his voice was soooooo sexy! What young girl wouldn't melt for him? I know I would have. I loved to hear the clever quips he used in his swashbuckling movies, a tradition that I believe Johnny Depp (another one of my top picks for Hollywood Hunk) is carrying on today in his "Pirate" movies.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    Besides being one of the best looking men EVER in Hollywood, I thought his voice was soooooo sexy! What young girl wouldn't melt for him? I know I would have.
    i would have too. He was amazingly hot. i cant believe how young he was when he started losing his looks.

Booze & drugs will do that to you . . . . . .

knothere Guest
    the Ricky Nelson new addition the the F A D website has intersting stuff on Errol and his Mullhuland Estate

I am a huge Errol Flynn fan too!
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

TheMysterian Guest

Errol Flynn

Good to see a thread on Errol Flynn,he was by far one of Hollywoods greatest "Stars"! I think he lived life on his own terms,and sadly that is how he died.I can't think of anyone else that could play the parts that he did,have the fame and wealth and popularity that he had and still be himself.What a shame to see him in later years after the "Booze" and whatever got to him,But no matter what,he will always be one of my favorites.

miamore73 Guest
    I loved the Ricky Nelson piece that mentioned the Errol Flynn house. FAD articles tend to send me into a researching fit. So I started googling Ricks kids and the 15 year old girlfriend of Errol Flynn. I found a picture of her and Errol she was 15 and he was 50 and believe me he WAS NOT a hot number at 50.

knothere Guest
    will u post the pics or the link plz miamore73

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    Good to see a thread on Errol Flynn,he was by far one of Hollywoods greatest "Stars"! I think he lived life on his own terms,and sadly that is how he died.I can't think of anyone else that could play the parts that he did,have the fame and wealth and popularity that he had and still be himself.What a shame to see him in later years after the "Booze" and whatever got to him,But no matter what,he will always be one of my favorites.
    Welcome to the board!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

knothere Guest
    errol n his 15 yrold girlfriend
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flynn_wideweb__470x341,0.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	2403

TheMysterian Guest

Errol Flynn

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Welcome to the board!
    Thanks neilmpenny,seems like a nice group of people here

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    Thanks neilmpenny,seems like a nice group of people here
    Not too bad, a couple of really nice people, couple of loons as you would expect!

Neil.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Noelle Page Guest
    What a character, a true original.

Anybody have a pic of the butch daughter?

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    errol n his 15 yrold girlfriend

Name:	flynn_wideweb__470x341,0.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	2403

Oh my dear sweet lord, is that really HIM? The girlfriend looks like a hot little punk-rock bitch, ahead of her time! Courtney Love, lol

knothere Guest

Name:	sean flynn.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	2485
    Sean Flynn his son (deceased also)

Amberlights Guest
    Here's another pic of Flynn & his teenage girlfriend:

leevancleef Guest
    Errol looked like a 65 years old man when he died and he was only 50.
    He was one of the most handsome, gorgeous, stunning human beings ive ever seen at his prime but that only lasted until the mid 40s.