Thread: Marty Balin

Marty Balin

co-founder of Jefferson Airplane

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-45690783
    Last edited by cash; 09-29-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Nooooooo 😔
    76 is not spring chicken, but I imagine his botched 2016 surgery hastened his death (or at least made the end miserable).

â??Miraclesâ? always brings me right back to the seventies. And the lyrics are a little klutzy but I love â??Heartsâ?. RIP, Marty.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

RIP

I was never a big fan of the Starship (though I was the Airplane) but I also really like "Miracles". I have tickets to go see Hot Tuna in November at Jorma's place, the Fur Peace Ranch. This is a pretty cool video of Marty (and Jorma and Jack) playing at the ranch. If you are ever in Southern Ohio and have any interest in the music this is a must stop. It's a very cool place. You need reservations when they host a dinner because the restaurant is small but they specialize in Pho with Jorma and whoever entertaining for an hour or so.

https://youtu.be/5KiHaM0byZU

Thanks, jt! Great rabbithole online hours ahead.
    Same here on Airplane versus Starship.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

And another oldie (me) that enjoyed Airplane over Starship. Miracles was a good song and about the only one I remember from Starship. RIP.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

RIP, good sir who played at all three concerts
    (1) Monterey Pop Festival 1967
    (2) Woodstock Festival 1969
    (3) Altamont free concert 1969
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

RIP.

My favorite 4-fer of Marty in 70's with the band: Miracles, With Your Love, Runaway, and Count on Me. All of those just flow together beautifully. Thank you for the great music Marty...RIP

Not really a fan, but I had a favorable impression of him for trying to play peacemaker at Altamont.

He got knocked out by a Hells Angel for his trouble. No good deed goes unpunished.

RIP
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Jefferson Airplane Co-Founder Marty Balin Dead at 76
    Hall of Famer and co-vocalist of San Francisco psychedelic rock band also founded Jefferson Starship

Jefferson Airplane vocalist-guitarist Marty Balin, who co-founded the San Francisco psychedelic rock band in 1965 and played a crucial role in the creation of all their 1960s albums, including Surrealistic Pillow and Volunteers, died Thursday at the age of 76. Balinâ??s rep confirmed the musicianâ??s death to Rolling Stone, though the cause of death is currently unknown.
    â??RIP Marty Balin, fellow bandmate and music traveler passed last night,â? Jefferson Airplane bassist Jack Casady said in a statement. â??A great songwriter and singer who loved life and music. We shared some wonderful times together. We will all miss you!!!!â?
    In 2016, Balin underwent open-heart surgery at Mount Sinai Beth Israel Hospital in New York City. He later sued them for medical malpractice, claiming they caused him a myriad of injuries, including a paralyzed vocal cord, bedsores, kidney damage and the loss of his left thumb and half of his tongue.
    In This Article: Jefferson Airplane, Obituary

Thanks to: https://www.rollingstone.com

My first concert was The Jefferson Airplane when I was thirteen, 50 years ago ! My memories of it are vague at best, but I do remember they were handing out copies of Surrealistic Pillow and my friend managed to get one. RIP Marty.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

RIP
    My profile picture and avatar are pictures of the lovely Agnetha Fältskog from ABBA, not me. I am a man, and an admirer of her. Friend proposers take note!

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    My first concert was The Jefferson Airplane when I was thirteen, 50 years ago ! My memories of it are vague at best, but I do remember they were handing out copies of Surrealistic Pillow and my friend managed to get one. RIP Marty.
    Ha very nice, thank you for saying this.
    Hope nobody was handing out LSD at the time .
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Ballin and Grace slick became less endeared towards the end. He was pissed that she got lots of credit for performing "Miracles", while he wrote it.
    Now considering all the chemical crap these people ingested, I find it remarkable they perked as long as they have.
    Definitely a voice of the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by PooBah McGee View Post
    Ballin and Grace slick became less endeared towards the end. He was pissed that she got lots of credit for performing "Miracles", while he wrote it.
    Now considering all the chemical crap these people ingested, I find it remarkable they perked as long as they have.
    Definitely a voice of the 60's.
    I remember seeing an article somewhere of Marty bragging how he was the only one in the band who didn't sleep with Grace Slick! LOL

She does as she pleases,her heels rise for me....................

18. 01-30-2019, 11:55 AM