Thread: Video: Louisiana Cops Strangle Black Man to Death

Video: Louisiana Cops Strangle Black Man to Death

Looks like this happened last October. First I'd heard of it.

https://www.theroot.com/video-louisi...r-a-1828091116
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    Looks like this happened last October. First I'd heard of it.

https://www.theroot.com/video-louisi...r-a-1828091116
    Surprise surprise, once again a grand jury decides not to indict the officers.

He should have complied with their apparently lawful instructions.
    Assuming that an arrest warrant had indeed been issued, the cops acted within the law and the man should have followed their directives.
    His failure to comply mandated a physical response by the cops.

Grand Juries are made up of average, everyday citizens who are registered voters.
    They typically come from all walks of life and the Jury is generally diverse in composition.
    I've been a Grand Juror.

If that Jury refused to return an indictment, then there simply wasn't evidence to convince enough of those people that the cops had done anything wrong.

It's sad and unfortunate that the man died.
    Had he simply cooperated with the cops who were there to do their jobs it might have ended differently.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

This was over what seems like a minor issue. A spat with the neighbor. Disable the tractor. Don't escalate the situation. If it takes time for him to relent, the officers are being paid by the hour.

This idea that you will jump when said to jump and you will do it now even when you are told to jump over a very minor issue or get your head beat in or choked has to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    This was over what seems like a minor issue. A spat with the neighbor. Disable the tractor. Don't escalate the situation. If it takes time for him to relent, the officers are being paid by the hour.

This idea that you will jump when said to jump and you will do it now even when you are told to jump over a very minor issue or get your head beat in or choked has to stop.
    I understand that sentiment.
    I would still maintain though that if a cop tells you that you are under arrest, the best course of action is to demonstrate cooperation and compliance.
    You can have a discussion about the particulars of the situation once they feel that they have control of the matter.

Once you're under arrest, you are no longer free to go about your business and you're not free to debate the situation.
    So yeah - jump when they say to jump and it might just remain a minor issue instead of turning into a confrontation.
    It necessarily has to work that way, unfortunately.

They cannot arrest him without having the warrant in hand there at the time of the arrest, the police were in the wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    They cannot arrest him without having the warrant in hand there at the time of the arrest, the police were in the wrong.
    This actually isn't true. Arrest warrants differ from search warrants in this respect, for practical reasons: MOST of the time an outstanding arrest warrant is executed, it's not because the cops were looking for an individual, but due to a "random" encounter like a traffic stop. If the suspect demands to see the warrant, they are required to give him access to a copy as soon as possible, but they can go ahead and arrest him. Fortunately, when Ted Bundy was pulled over due to his shitty driving, the cops weren't forced to say, "Well, fuck it, we don't have a copy of the warrant, we have to let him go."

Having said that, I don't know WHY they didn't have the warrant with them in this case, since they were evidently out looking for the guy. Probably just a stupid oversight.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

I'm am in no wise taking up for those redneck cops, but when one tells you to do something, do it, for crying out loud. They are trained killers, and some think they are God. I'd much rather be in jail than dead.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I'm am in no wise taking up for those redneck cops, but when one tells you to do something, do it, for crying out loud. They are trained killers, and some think they are God. I'd much rather be in jail than dead.
    When they tell you to perform oral sex on them?

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    When they tell you to perform oral sex on them?
    Maybe...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cop1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	54693

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cop2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	54694

I am like you Cindy, I don't side with them but the man should have gotten down, and I feel they should have had the arrest warrant right there, I think the guy would have gone with them willingly if they had the warrant to show him.