Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Markies McGlockton shooting - Clearwater, Florida

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    toronto, canada ( Etobicoke)
    Posts
    4,252

    Markies McGlockton shooting - Clearwater, Florida

    Markeis McGlockton's girlfriend is arguing with Michael Drejka over a parking spot at a convenience store. McGlockton exits the store and pushes Drejka to the ground. Drejka pulls out a gun and shoots McGlockton point blank. McGlockton runs into the store, collapses and dies. No charges will be laid against Drejka because of Florida's stand your ground laws. McGlockton was 28 and black. Drejka is white and 47. Video:


    https://nypost.com/2018/07/20/stand-...space-sheriff/
    Last edited by cash; 07-23-2018 at 08:07 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,984
    Mr. McGlockton shouldn't have initiated a physical confrontation.
    That can get you shot and probably should.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    13,124
    "“He’s getting out like he’s a police officer or something, and he’s approaching me,” she said. “I minded my own business … I didn’t do anything wrong.” Yes they did. Parking in a Handicap without a permit is illegal. I have had to gimp by HC parking spaces with healthy people parked in them. The aggressor shoved Drejka down hard enough to cause injury. He might have gone on to curb stomp the old guy. We will never know. Of course the GF is going to paint her baby daddy as a saint.
    Some days, you get the Bear, other days the Bear gets you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    toronto, canada ( Etobicoke)
    Posts
    4,252
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Mr. McGlockton shouldn't have initiated a physical confrontation.
    That can get you shot and probably should.
    I wonder if the shooter was black and the guy who pushed him was white if you would feel the same.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    I wonder if the shooter was black and the guy who pushed him was white if you would feel the same.
    My heavens, no!
    Why would you even wonder something as batshit crazy as that!?

    Look - you're involved in a verbal confrontation and somebody - no matter who they are - decides to turn it into a violent physical assault; they are opening the door to a violent response.

    Most people who will just walk up and attack like that aren't strangers to doing such things.
    I don't know if he got what he deserved or not, but he got what he asked for.

    The shooter decided not to wait and see if the assault was going to continue, he defended himself as he had the right to do.
    Fortunately for him, he was also exercising his right to carry a weapon and use it in such a circumstance.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,023
    RE: Some of the comments on this thread already:

    Holy shit!

    But I feel ya. Often I feel I should be allowed to blow somebody's head off they look at me funny... Or if they cut me off in traffic... Or if they park in a LEGAL space, but do so so poorly that one of their tires is touching a white line...

    In all seriousness, though, I think this has the potential to be one of our all-time great threads.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    toronto, canada ( Etobicoke)
    Posts
    4,252
    [QUOTE=JimC;1549136]My heavens, no!
    Why would you even wonder something as batshit crazy as that!?

    you must be joking

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    RE: Some of the comments on this thread already:

    Holy shit!

    But I feel ya. Often I feel I should be allowed to blow somebody's head off they look at me funny... Or if they cut me off in traffic... Or if they park in a LEGAL space, but do so so poorly that one of their tires is touching a white line...

    In all seriousness, though, I think this has the potential to be one of our all-time great threads.
    That's a bit extreme, but shooting someone who is assaulting you; not so much.

    Great threads?
    Turtle Winds Firewalker and The Engle, that's all I can say about that.

    [QUOTE=cash;1549145]
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    My heavens, no!
    Why would you even wonder something as batshit crazy as that!?

    you must be joking
    Ya think?
    What about you?
    If the white guy had assaulted the black guy and gotten shot; would the shooting have been justified?

    People who initiate a violent assault invite a violent response, doesn't matter what color or religion or whatever else either of them happens to be.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    13,124
    It was,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Some days, you get the Bear, other days the Bear gets you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,023
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    That's a bit extreme, but shooting someone who is assaulting you; not so much.
    Interesting. If I shot an unarmed person to death for shoving me, it would bother me for the rest of my life, and I honestly consider myself a bit of an asshole.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    RE: Some of the comments on this thread already:

    In all seriousness, though, I think this has the potential to be one of our all-time great threads.
    Agreed! This is probably one of those threads, if you feel compelled to reply, you had better wait 24 hours and think it over first

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,023
    Quote Originally Posted by duffyman View Post
    Agreed! This is probably one of those threads, if you feel compelled to reply, you had better wait 24 hours and think it over first
    Wait 24 hours and think it over? A lot of us are Americans!
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    Interesting. If I shot an unarmed person to death for shoving me, it would bother me for the rest of my life, and I honestly consider myself a bit of an asshole.
    Most of us would.
    That makes the perpetrator more than just a violent criminal, he was an inconsiderate ass too.
    He caused the shooter to have to do something that carries traumatic consequences.

    Quote Originally Posted by duffyman View Post
    Agreed! This is probably one of those threads, if you feel compelled to reply, you had better wait 24 hours and think it over first
    Nah, totally unnecessary these days.
    If you post something regrettable or wrong, you can just say you never did it or that somebody else did it and is trying to blame you for it.
    Apparently, a large percentage of people will believe you even when they can see what really happened.
    In the States anyway, they'll believe you.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,023
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Most of us would.
    That makes the perpetrator more than just a violent criminal, he was an inconsiderate ass too.
    He caused the shooter to have to do something that carries traumatic consequences.
    Yep, the guy had NO CHOICE at that point.

    Typical comment in today's gun culture. LOL
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    Yep, the guy had NO CHOICE at that point.

    Typical comment in today's gun culture. LOL
    Nah - he had a choice:
    He could wait to see if the assault was going to continue and possibly lose his life; or he could defend himself and put a stop to it.


    I wonder at what point some people might think self defense becomes "justifiable"?
    It's unfortunate (to say the least) that this happened; but it probably wouldn't have if Mr. McGlockton hadn't decided to commit an assault.


    Gun culture:
    Is that just a "thing", or do people "belong" to it?


    If people belong to it, what makes them members?
    Owning guns?


    Does it take owning more than one to qualify you as a Member of Gun Culture as opposed to just being a citizen who owns a gun?


    Is it like "Academia"?
    You might "belong" to it, yet the members don't have a rigid system of beliefs or qualifications aside from being involved in research or education?


    If at birth, your dad owns tons of guns, are you by default a member of "Gun Culture" until you're old enough to leave it and maybe "join" some other culture?
    Maybe it's like being a liberal or a homophobe - you can be one while thinking that you're not even though other people might judge you to be one?


    I'm curious since you think my comment seems to mirror what "Gun Culture" might posit.

    Unlike "liberals" and "conservatives", nobody identifies themselves as being of "Gun Culture"; it's just a broadly brushed label used by some people to try to categorize something that they don't understand or "approve" of.

    I guess they're trying to make sense of it, so the label is I suppose needed; since they do seem to have trouble making sense of many things while not allowing a lack of understanding to interfere with being vocal about it.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    13,124
    Although 47 is not that old, That slam to the ground looked hard. The Perp is half his age and twice his size. The older guy is probably in some pretty decent pain and some physical shock. Throw in the unknown factor, "is this going to escalate," I don't fault the guy that much.
    Some days, you get the Bear, other days the Bear gets you.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,023
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Nah - he had a choice:
    He could wait to see if the assault was going to continue and possibly lose his life; or he could defend himself and put a stop to it.


    I wonder at what point some people might think self defense becomes "justifiable"?
    It's unfortunate (to say the least) that this happened; but it probably wouldn't have if Mr. McGlockton hadn't decided to commit an assault.


    Gun culture:
    Is that just a "thing", or do people "belong" to it?


    If people belong to it, what makes them members?
    Owning guns?


    Does it take owning more than one to qualify you as a Member of Gun Culture as opposed to just being a citizen who owns a gun?


    Is it like "Academia"?
    You might "belong" to it, yet the members don't have a rigid system of beliefs or qualifications aside from being involved in research or education?


    If at birth, your dad owns tons of guns, are you by default a member of "Gun Culture" until you're old enough to leave it and maybe "join" some other culture?
    Maybe it's like being a liberal or a homophobe - you can be one while thinking that you're not even though other people might judge you to be one?


    I'm curious since you think my comment seems to mirror what "Gun Culture" might posit.

    Unlike "liberals" and "conservatives", nobody identifies themselves as being of "Gun Culture"; it's just a broadly brushed label used by some people to try to categorize something that they don't understand or "approve" of.

    I guess they're trying to make sense of it, so the label is I suppose needed; since they do seem to have trouble making sense of many things while not allowing a lack of understanding to interfere with being vocal about it.
    This is your funniest post about guns yet, but I apologize that I don't currently have time to riff on the individual jokes. Frustrating, because you do have a good sense of humor, and I believe in giving credit where credit is due. From now on, when you are joking about guns and I am pressed for time, I will just say "LOL Good one."
    Last edited by Upset; 07-26-2018 at 07:01 PM.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    This is your funniest post about guns yet, but I apologize that I don't currently have time to riff on the individual jokes. Frustrating, because you do have a good sense of humor, and I believe in giving credit where credit is due. From now on, when you are joking about guns and I am pressed for time, I will just say "LOL Good one."
    LOL, Good one.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,023
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    LOL, Good one.
    If you MUST steal my material, please don't put a comma after "LOL." And if you MUST put a comma after LOL, PLEASE at least make the word "good" lower-case.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,023
    The murderer has a history of picking fights over parking spaces.

    A month earlier, he threatened the life of anoother man and used racial slurs against him.

    Obviously, he is a troublemaker and a racist who likes to fuck with people while carrying a gun, but by all means keep justifying the behavior.

    Hopefully, he will get what's coming to him.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    If you MUST steal my material, please don't put a comma after "LOL." And if you MUST put a comma after LOL, PLEASE at least make the word "good" lower-case.
    It's called differentiation, branding; even.

    Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    The murderer has a history of picking fights over parking spaces.

    A month earlier, he threatened the life of anoother man and used racial slurs against him.

    Obviously, he is a troublemaker and a racist who likes to fuck with people while carrying a gun, but by all means keep justifying the behavior.

    Hopefully, he will get what's coming to him.
    Maybe so.
    But all I could see was that the perpetrator of the crime walked out of the store and attacked the guy.
    I can't know if the perpetrator and the assault victim had words before the perp went into the store.
    It sure looked like the attacker just walked out and launched a violent assault; resulting in a predictable and justified defensive response.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    toronto, canada ( Etobicoke)
    Posts
    4,252
    The state has charged the shooter - there is some sanity left

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKBN1KY1VG

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,023
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    The state has charged the shooter - there is some sanity left

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKBN1KY1VG
    What does this actually mean, from a legal standpoint? That the stand your ground law didn't apply?
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    13,124
    I watched the video again. He hitches his shorts up twice before attacking. Then again before being shot. This is something guys do when they want to continue the fight. Not unlike ripping off your shirt, jacking your arms up in the air and other actions that Males do to show a willingness to fight.
    Some days, you get the Bear, other days the Bear gets you.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    What does this actually mean, from a legal standpoint? That the stand your ground law didn't apply?
    Not sure.
    But I don't think there needs to be a law on the books saying that you can defend yourself from a violent attacker.

    I think what it means socially is:

    1) When they guy is found innocent of manslaughter because he defended himself from a violent thug, there will be a huge outcry about "justice".
    In order to find and serve justice, many other people who also need to be shot will take to the streets smashing windows and stealing expensive tennis shoes to see if that is where "justice" resides.
    I predict that they will not find it.

    Or,

    2) If the guy is found guilty in spite of the fact that he was defending himself from a violent thug, many other people who also need to be shot will take to the streets smashing windows and stealing expensive tennis shoes in order to commemorate the serving of "justice".

    Either way, there is still one less violent thug on the streets; which is a good thing.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •