Thread: Art Bell, Longtime Coast to Coast Radio Host

Art Bell, Longtime Coast to Coast Radio Host

Killed by a Chupacabra?

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    Killed by a Chupacabra?
    Sasquatch

Nonsense.
    Aliens from Area 51.

Grey aliens - they're worst, you know - no redeemable qualities whatsoever, those Greys.
    Illegal aliens from outer space they are.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Was largely responsible for really popularizing paranormal radio, then, long time wife died, he left his show, married a Filipino woman, moved to her home country, had a baby girl, moved back to the US, tried to reboot his old show, gave up on that. Did a shitload more than most here who woo-woo his career choice. RIP. Oh, forgot to mention that his late wife was ill for much of their marriage but Art stayed with her until the end. Enough?
    Last edited by MurkyWaters; 04-14-2018 at 07:47 PM.

I made a joke but I would listen on occasion. It was interesting but I have to think he was in on the joke. The world is more interesting with the Art Bells in it.

Have spent many many hours crossing this country on more road trips than I can count.

Many hours while the nation slept.

Art Bell was always an outstanding listen when traveling across New Mexico, Arizona and a dozen other states.

Rest in Peace old friend. If even 10% of what you said was real we need to pay attention.

God Bless.

You could say he and his kind made overnight radio interesting. I have been a fan of CTC AM for many years. I don't remember when I started listening exactly; probably the mid 1990's. Art hosted CTC AM for many years and other guest hosts filled the chair from time to time, including Hilly Rose who died not too long ago. Of course George Noory hosts now. Not to be forgotten in this lil' bunch is Whitley Strieber. IIRC he guest hosted CTC AM a few times and he has his own podcast (Dreamland, available on iTunes.)

One thing I should note is that Art Bell was just in a word crazy, and mercurial. I liked him very much but just got the sense the man was not normal. This is also the case for Whitley Strieber.

A change occurred when George took over the show. He has some interesting characteristics but is closer to being a normie than either Art or Whitley. It's almost like someone wanted to sanitize or mainstream paranormal radio- the term might be "corporatize". George seems more like a normal person who delves into the paranormal while Art Bell et al were immersed in it. Art I think had a sharper mind and took the guests to task more often than George does. George has a persistent defect that you will get to know if you listen to him long enough. It's almost like he has a chronic "softness of mind". He mutilates, improperly joins and cripples his phrases and metaphors often. As an example he often says "harp back" when I think he means "harken back". Recently he said to a guest that we all have heard that when we draw a gun on someone it's required that we shoot them (!) when I think he meant that when a police officer shoots at a suspect it's always to kill, not to maim. The guest of course disagreed and said often a gun can be merely shown to an intruder or brandished and that is sufficient to protect you. Maybe George is tired all the time? I don't know. He seems like a nice guy but is not frankly as good as Art was.

I looked at recent pics of Art and I just saw Leonard Nimoy. $10 says COPD killed him.

Cause of death: accidental drug overdose. He was on a bunch of meds

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...drug-overdose/

I am surprised. Genuinely. I would have bet it was COPD.