Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/11 Terrorist Attacks and Their Aftermath

Guest Guest
    I had a friend who's mom was in NYC that morning... she had a reservation to have breakfast in the Windows of the World resturant first thing in the morning, but she decided to sleep in........my friend was in terror for 3 day, because they hadn't heard from her and knew that her mom and aunt were supposed to be there.... I remember crying and praying with her..... it still brings my heart to a stop thinking how close she came to losing her mom and aunt.......... I didn't go anywhere for almost a year after the attacks... I just shut down and waited for the end of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit View Post
    I had a friend who's mom was in NYC that morning... she had a reservation to have breakfast in the Windows of the World resturant first thing in the morning, but she decided to sleep in........my friend was in terror for 3 day, because they hadn't heard from her and knew that her mom and aunt were supposed to be there.... I remember crying and praying with her..... it still brings my heart to a stop thinking how close she came to losing her mom and aunt.......... I didn't go anywhere for almost a year after the attacks... I just shut down and waited for the end of the world
    Three days???? How horrible!! My husband left the house very early that morning to catch a flight. I was almost to work, but had a CD in, so no idea that anything was going on. When the traffic backed up, I put on the radio to see if they were doing a traffic report and all the stations were talking about what was happening in NY. Only the first building had been hit and then the second one got hit while I was listening. I tried my husband on his cell phone, but no answer. I got to my office and of course every television was on. We stayed a couple of hours, but I couldn't reach my husband. Finally about 9 hours later, I got him. He heard what happened right before he got to his gate at the airport and immediately rented a car and drove to where he was going to get. Smart because the rental cars were most likely sold out in minutes. We had attorneys scattered all over the place not able to get home for days because of the flights being cancelled. I hope we never have to go through anything like this again. I don't even remember how many days and nights we all stayed up watching the television, not sure of how bad it would be or if anything else was going to happen.

Guest Guest
    yeah..... if we talk about it.. we all still cry..... I cry *choking up* thinking about all the children that didn't have a parent to come and pick them up from school, because they had lost them in the attacks

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit View Post
    yeah..... if we talk about it.. we all still cry..... I cry *choking up* thinking about all the children that didn't have a parent to come and pick them up from school, because they had lost them in the attacks
    Absolutely! Its one of the things that can instantly make me cry. Anytime I see memorials on someone's avatar or the like, I get a huge lump in my throat.

I left my office to go and pick up my two because I figured better they hear it from me, but I can't imagine having to pick mine up and have to tell them that dad may be in the wreckage or picturing their little faces because neither of us showed up. When thew showed people in some other countries dancing around all happy, I wished at that instant that I had the nuke button in my control because I don't think I would have hesitated. Good thing for everyone I'm not President material!

melmoney Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mel306 View Post
    I remember seeing her picture all over downtown the Friday after 9-11. I never knew she was from the island too.

Doctor who worked at Staten Island hospital is added to 9/11 victims list
    by Associated Press
    Thursday July 10, 2008, 2:22 PM

Associated Press
    A missing poster for Dr. Sneha Anne Philip is displayed near the World Trade Center in 2002.
    The name of a doctor who was last seen on Sept. 10, 2001, has been added to the World Trade Center victims' list.

The New York City medical examiner's office said today it has issued a death certificate for 31-year-old Sneha Anne Philip. Dr. Philip was a medical resident at St. Vincent's Medical Center (now Richmond University Medical Center) in Staten Island's West Brighton neighborhood.

It cites a January appellate court ruling that declared Philip was killed at the trade center.

Philip was last seen the night before the terrorist attack. She initially was put on the victims' list. But she was taken off it in 2004 after authorities said she could not be definitively linked to the trade center site.

The list of World Trade Center victims now stands at 2,751.

I'm surprised they added her to the list. Her disappearance was the night before 9/11 and there's never been proof she was there at the WTC that day. Maybe it brings closure for the family, I don't know.

darlingdawn Guest
    I went with a friend to a MOPs (Mother of Preschoolers) meeting at a local church that day. When I pulled into the parking lot, I heard on the radio about the first plane hitting the tower and that there were several other planes that were "missing" possibly hijacked. I remember going into that meeting and the other women weren't concerned about it at all, didn't talk about it or say a prayer or anything. I was just in a daze the whole hour I was there. When I came out, I heard about the other tower, Pentagon and the plane that crashed in PA. When they announced the plane crashed in Sommerset, I freaked out. Knowing my best friend lived there. I cried the whole way home (about 1/2 hr) and immediately attempted to call her. When I got her office, the girl who answered the phone acted very strange, cautiously asking my name, how I knew my friend, etc... I immediately thought the worse. Finally, my friend came on the line and we both cried. She told me that the plane literally crashed in her back yard. Her husband was home and there were FBI agents scouring her backyard for whatever they could find.

When I was a kid, a friend of mine had a religious post card she had on her bulletin board that showed a rendering of "Armagedon". It always freaked me out because it showed a high rise building with planes crashing into it and people falling from the building, fire all around. I immediately recalled this image and it is now burned into my memory forever...

[quote=Hidium;234898]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    I'd never heard about that, that's so awful. It makes you wonder how much trauma the body can take before it dies.
    quote]

Yes. That is why it was so damn shocking. I was thinking more about it later today after I posted what I remembered... I think what he saw was a little more half of her torso, which was diagonally ripped, and only one arm and her head - no legs. So, her heart must have been beating, just barely. It doesn't seem possible, I don't know, maybe something broke her fall, but, why didn't she bleed out? Did flames cauterize her major arteries? But her speach was very coherent, she said in a strong voice that she was wasn't dead yet, God bless her. It was a coherent conversation. If it had been me, I think I would have stayed with her until it was over, but he felt he had to move on to look for survivers. I was reading everything about 9/11 at the time so I can't even begin to remember where I saw that... but since Sordid knows the article too, I know I didn't imagine it. It broke my heart, especially that the volunteer rescuer didn't stay and comfort her.
    As I recall, the woman wanted to either borrow someone's cell phone or have the rescue worker call her daughter and tell her that she survived. This woman had worked around a triage/E.R. setting because when she saw the color of the tag the rescue worker put on her (black) she told him "I'm not dead!"

In August, 2002, I saw a traveling exhibit of items from the WTC towers that would eventually wind up in the Smithsonian. The New York Port Authority Police Department drove some large motor homes and had U-Hauls full of things. One or more of the surviving officers made memorials about each officer lost.
    After waiting in an extremely slow-moving line for about 45 minutes, I entered the first of several tents. A tape of the bagpipe rendition of "Amazing Grace" played nonstop. There were pictures of the towers before and of course, dozens 'after'. There were models of the destroyed buildings under glass cases and boxes of tissues on every table. Good thing, because many others and I used them.
    The coats worn by firefighters were hanging up on the tent walls and the acrid smell of smoke was still very strong. There was a police cruiser, well, what was left of it. The top of the car was crushed down as if a giant had stepped on it. All sort of silverware, huge, thick, chunks of glass (from the observation levels?) and pieces of rebar and concrete were carefully arranged on tables. Some street/subway signs for WTC ! and 2 were displayed alongside shattered computer keyboards and lots of papers from offices. A payphone from one of the lobbies was reduced to something that looked like a modern sculpture. It had been bashed in and had melted.
    One item caused the bottleneck of people and I instantly understood why the line was moving so slowly. There was a window section from one of the planes. Other people were staring and I stood there for a long time, thinking about who sat by that window and did he or she know that death was at hand? What went through that person's head?
    The PAPD officers who worked the exhibit knew how to handle those of us who seemed shell-shocked, for lack of a better word. We could observe as long as we wanted, but there were some who literally had to be helped out of the tents. I will never forget the acrid smell and that plane section as long as I live. It brought the reality of the situation home to someone in Ohio. Reading about the attacks is one thing, but seeing first-hand evidence of that day was a powerful and moving experience.

darlingdawn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    In August, 2002, I saw a traveling exhibit of items from the WTC towers that would eventually wind up in the Smithsonian. The New York Port Authority Police Department drove some large motor homes and had U-Hauls full of things. One or more of the surviving officers made memorials about each officer lost.
    After waiting in an extremely slow-moving line for about 45 minutes, I entered the first of several tents. A tape of the bagpipe rendition of "Amazing Grace" played nonstop. There were pictures of the towers before and of course, dozens 'after'. There were models of the destroyed buildings under glass cases and boxes of tissues on every table. Good thing, because many others and I used them.
    The coats worn by firefighters were hanging up on the tent walls and the acrid smell of smoke was still very strong. There was a police cruiser, well, what was left of it. The top of the car was crushed down as if a giant had stepped on it. All sort of silverware, huge, thick, chunks of glass (from the observation levels?) and pieces of rebar and concrete were carefully arranged on tables. Some street/subway signs for WTC ! and 2 were displayed alongside shattered computer keyboards and lots of papers from offices. A payphone from one of the lobbies was reduced to something that looked like a modern sculpture. It had been bashed in and had melted.
    One item caused the bottleneck of people and I instantly understood why the line was moving so slowly. There was a window section from one of the planes. Other people were staring and I stood there for a long time, thinking about who sat by that window and did he or she know that death was at hand? What went through that person's head?
    The PAPD officers who worked the exhibit knew how to handle those of us who seemed shell-shocked, for lack of a better word. We could observe as long as we wanted, but there were some who literally had to be helped out of the tents. I will never forget the acrid smell and that plane section as long as I live. It brought the reality of the situation home to someone in Ohio. Reading about the attacks is one thing, but seeing first-hand evidence of that day was a powerful and moving experience.
    I too saw this display. My husband and I were in a Walmart (of all places) and part of the display was there... a door to a police car, wallets, pieces of clothing, etc... I had forgotten all about this. I remember just standing there and crying... along with half the people in the store.

suzuchan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by darlingdawn View Post
    I too saw this display. My husband and I were in a Walmart (of all places) and part of the display was there... a door to a police car, wallets, pieces of clothing, etc... I had forgotten all about this. I remember just standing there and crying... along with half the people in the store.
    Wal Mart.... that's a strange place to put it. They are selling the memories of our lost victims.

I live in Canada, so unless I ever go to NYC I will never get to see this.

darlingdawn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by suzuchan View Post
    Wal Mart.... that's a strange place to put it. They are selling the memories of our lost victims.

I live in Canada, so unless I ever go to NYC I will never get to see this.

I agree, it was a strange place to put it, we had no idea it was going to even be there. We are not big Walmart supporters but at the time, living i rural Virginia, it was the only place to shop. I think the "caravan" with the mementos was just passing through on the way to D.C. and happened to stop there, it wasn't pre-planned. Anyway, it was very interesting to say the least.

suzuchan Guest
    haha I guess...just going to do some groceries and BAM you are scarred for life

Just trying to do a continously bump on this one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Anyone know when the freedom tower is going to open? I keep seeing artists' conceptions of what it's going to look like but I don't know how far along they are.

It's up in the air right now. The families are not pleased with the designs that have been proposed for the Memorial Section so it has put everything at a stand still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    It's up in the air right now. The families are not pleased with the designs that have been proposed for the Memorial Section so it has put everything at a stand still.
    Whoever designed the Freedom Tower didn't learn a damned thing from the past- floors above 40 stories and no doubt narrow staircases. Once again, firefighters would have a difficult time getting to a fire on upper floors should anything happen.

bloodrocuted Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    As far as politics goes, I do not want to make it that way. We have seen what politics can do to this country, but when someone comes on here and turns a perfectly good tribute to their political agenda, it makes me see red.

My info on what is going on has nothing to do with CNN or any other political info channel, if is from being on the front lines.

Bringing President Bush's name up tells us nothing about what is really going on.

It does not tell you that as of this day, the bad guys are busy in foreign countries, on the run from the American military, and other countries who have realized this is a fight that needs to be won, so they don''t show up on our door step tomorrow.

For those of you who think this will all go away when Bush is no longer in office, is so misinformed. They are waiting until a time that we don't have a leader who is willing to kick some ass. They will also not have to go to far to get to you. They are here, my friends, in this country, just like the pilots on those doomed flights of 9/11

You have heard about the patriot Act? It is a way for the gov to spy on those who wish to do us harm in our own country. Our own people want to take that power away, because it violates our right to privacy, but guess what, I would rather them spy on me and learn my secret recipe for Mac and Cheese, than for them not to have the ability to spy on the bad guys who might at this moment planning the next attack on your city or town.

Call me a dumb ass all you want. It doesn't hurt nearly as much as being bombed by those who wish to see us dead.
    You aren't a dumb ass. Far, far from it. I used to be fiercely liberal and criticize anything remotely related to Bush, Republicans, or even patriotism. But that's coincidently back when I smoked lots of pot. Nowadays, I feel like I'm seeing things how they really are. I love this country, my family and all my friends, and I want to see them be protected from these homicidal, religious maniacs.

D3LIVIÃ?N Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I have heard it and Dear God I wish I never had. It haunts me to this day.
    Me to, it was a mistake listening to that call!

I had lost my best friend a few months earlier, and was still going through the whole depression thing, which for me means sleeping. So I took the kids to school, went home and went back to bed. My husband called and woke me up, and said, "Someone just flew a plane into the World Trade Center." I asked, "On purpose?" because I was still half asleep. Like so many others, I was watching when the second plane hit. It's still unbelievable. My youngest son was in 9th grade, and he called and asked me to pick him up, he was so upset. When I got there, he asked, "Is it true one of the World Trade Center towers collapsed?" "I had to tell him, "Honey, the World Trade Center is gone." I can't imagine what it was like for those who were in the city and for those who lost loved ones. Unbelievable.

Dammit, now I'm crying, and I never cry! (Unless I'm at the Alamo. Or watching Steel Magnolias.)
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

Lisamarie Guest
    that 911 call....man....thats a hard hit theway he screams....the oh god!! Like he had a moment to understand what was happeneing......do you guys think that people who were ib the tower had time to see the plane coming towards them?? Like from the window??

Downtown looks so wrong without the twin towers there anymore. I watch old movies and see the skyline the way it used to be and it breaks my heart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Lisamarie Guest
    I always think that...how very naked it looks...

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I will always remember that day. I had just gotten my kids off to school and was sitting down with a cup of tea watching the last 30 min of the Today show. When they started to report that a small (at that time that is what they thought) had crashed into one of the towers. Then watching the second plane go right into the 2nd building. I thought it wasn't real, I thought it was a movie stunt. Until I heard Katie and Matt's shock, they I started to believe what I was watching was real. I couldn't believe it and still can't. I never moved from that couch all day (or for a few days after) watching all the Networks and Cnn constantly. I will never forget seeing those towers come down. And all that billowing smoke that looked like it was chasing the people down the streets. Remember how it looked like one of those Sci Fi movies? The smoke advancing down the street and coming around the corners of buildings while people are running and screaming. So surreal. I can't imagine the horror the people felt on those planes knowing they were going to go into those towers. Nor can I even contemplate the horror the people in the towers felt being trapped. My heart breaks for all the rescue workers and firefighters. My husband is a firefighter and this is a wife's worse nightmare. My heart breaks for all the families.
    I can't believe we are coming up to the 7th anniversary of 9-11. It still seems like yesterday that this happened.
    I just listened to that youtube clip that someone had posted on this thread and I just can't stop the tears. How can anyone (as I read in one post - that her houseguest was overjoyed with the attacks)think this is alright?? How can this be done in God's name.?? These murderers aren't men of God they are servants of Hell and that is where they are now and where they belong

D3LIVIÃ?N Guest
    What also got me with the 911 call/video was that, if I remember correctly he said "We are young men and too young to die" Also, I think the horrible "oh god" statement at the end was when he realized that the building was starting collapse. It sounds like the floor was breaking out from underneath him and he knew that this was it. I can't ever un-hear that call.

The morning of 9/11 I ended up having to go to work in the salon that I worked for at the time. It was a very large salon but the few appointments that were actually in the salon that were all glued to little TV's and radios. It really did feel like the nation stopped in time for a few days.

I was reading this thread earlier and had an urge to watch the 9/11 Documentry DVD i have with the Neugent brothers and i was weeping even as it started, i think that day will stay with the people who witnessed it wether in real life or on the TV for the rest of our lives and will always be emotional for us all

Seagorath Guest
    9/11 never surprised me. I always knew it would happen. I even knew that Bin Laden was responsible as soon as the 2nd plane hit the tower. The WHOLE THING is pretty obvious if you're fully up to snuff on the history of American global policy.

pinupgirl1948 Guest
    I always wonder about flight 93 being shot down...It's ironic that it crashed into a field and so little of the plane was left.......

Mach2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pinupgirl1948 View Post
    I always wonder about flight 93 being shot down...It's ironic that it crashed into a field and so little of the plane was left.......
    Although not true today the reason flight 93 was not shot down was because there were no fighters armed. The military felt no need for that.

The 9-11 attacks were surprize attacks. Everyone was caught off guard. To imply that our military was in any way prepared for battle over the skies of Pennaylvania on 9-11-01 is failing to admit we were caught with our pants down.

9-11 was a successful surprize attack in every way but one. The passengers of flight 93 fought to their deaths without military assistance.

Armcast Guest
    I was in Dallas on business at the time. I was driving from my hotel to the Hyatt Hotel located at the airport. As I was driving towards the airport the DJ's on the radio interrupted and reported that it was now 2 planes that had hit the WTC. I knew it had to be deliberate.

When I got to the hotel, TV screens were all over the lobby and it was packed with people watching them. There I found out that another plane had hit the Pentagon, one had crashed and still another was missing. Throughout the day people were trying to find places to sleep and cars with which to drive home.

By 3 o'clock that afternoon, I had received a phone call from Hertz offering me $500 if I could return my car that I had rented for the week. My boss instructed me to keep the car and drive home as soon as I felt comfortable.

I'll never forget how all of the shopping malls were closed and so were movie theaters all over the area. When I finally got home (I was living in Mexico at the time, just across the border from McAllen,Tx) the international bridge was blocked with traffic. The Mexican authorities were stopping every single car and the Mexican military was inspecting every inch of each vehicle.

This might sound awful.. but I remember seeing something about 9-11 where a woman described coming out onto the mezz where the windows looked out into the courtyard ans she saw a pregnant woman falling to the ground and her baby exploded out of her. That has stuck with me more then anything else.

Has anyone ever heard of this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lisamarie Guest
    omg!!!! Thats beyond terrible!!!

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Can't say I've heard that one Miho...Sounds like it may not be true...It would be too much if it was...

I know. It just haunts me to this day. Whenever I hear "9-11" that is the first image to pop into my head. I kinda wish I never heard that. I want to say that it was from that Documentary by the French brothers... god I can't think of their names right now. No coffee yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OMG, reading the entries of this thread is giving me goosebumps, and stinging my eyes with tears.

The morning of 09/11/01, I was going to go get my passport pic taken at the post office so I could meet up with a friend vacationing in Italy. Instead, I was awakened by my mother freaking out, bursting into my bedroom, exclaiming how those idiots have done it, they've finally done it. It took a few for what my mom was saying to sink in, and I went into the living room and turned on the tv and watched in shock and horror. I remembered that my supervisor had just left on vacation a few days before, and part of her vacation was to go to NYC. In a panic, I called my coworkers at work asking if she was in New York right now. I found out later she was on a cruise, and the NY part of her trip, that inevitable got cancelled, was to happen the next week.

So, I spent my day off glued to the tv, in utter and total shock.

I'd met a guy at church a couple of weeks prior. We'd made a date for the 12th. Well, we got a hold of each other, and since he'd been sent home from work for the day, we decided to go on our first date the night of the 11th. I figured it'd be better than sitting and watching the endless footage of 9/11 replaying. We went to Starbucks, but it was closed. We ended up at another coffee shop, then drove down to Laguna on freeways that were eerily empty in spite of it being rush hour. There wasn't a plane in the sky, and you could see cargo ships lining the horizon off of Laguna Beach. While we were walking around, I heard waves crashing on the beach and panicked because I thought we were being bombed. And Laguna Beach was empty, and any night of the week is a normally bustling night.

BTW, this 9/11 first date ended up being my husband. And for obvious reasons I never made that trip to Italy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

gemini33 Guest
    What I remember the most is looking up at the sky that night. Where I live I ususally see one or two planes in the sky. I looked up that night... and nothing. Eerie.

pinupgirl1948 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    Dear God, that's horrible. I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face right now. It's Jan 2008 and it seems like just yesterday.
    OMG!!!I wish i never listened to that!!!It's just so horrible!!!

Maruz83 Guest
    I read this thread and it make me cry and remember that horrible day..

I was in the Navy on board an AirCraft Carrier we were in our homeport in Norfolk, Virginia. I remember walking into the office with everone crying because we were being attacked. The base was closed there was no way in or out. Our commanding office came over the speakers and told us we were on our way to New York to help with anything we could. All we had was the uniforms that we wore to work that day. We got to New York harbor the next morning and everyone and I mean all 3,000 of us were on the flight deck watching the fire burn.... I'll never forget that moment in my life........

P.S - that's the smoke from the towers in the back ground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	374195135_890fd0381a.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	7352  

TheMysterian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mel306 View Post
    I am from NYC and was in Battery Park when the second plane hit. It flew right above the trees and it felt like it was just over my head even though it was much higher in reality. Until that moment, we thought the first was an accident and we kept heading to work. (I worked a block away that year.) When the second hit, we frooze and we knew instantly this was an attack.

I turned around and got back on the SI Ferry. I was there when the first tower fell and ashes got all the way to the boat. I had on black pants and you could them. (The boat is a ten minute walk from ground zero.) I was so upset until I got home and saw the news and got in touch with other people I know who were closer. Then I realized how easy I got off that day.

To this day, when I exist the boat each morning, I look in the direction of the tower. It is like I can still see the gap they left in the sky.
    I was on 23st and 10th ave.delivering to Electricans on a job site,I was listening to Howard Stern when the first one hit,one of the formen on the job came running out of the trailer where he had been watching TV and told us what had happened.I walked up to the corner of 23st and looked towards the towers which were billowing smoke already,that is when the second plane hit the other tower,my boss meanwhile was calling me on the Nextel telling me to dump the freight,and forget about my second stop which was The World Trade Center,I was supposed to meet another electrican crew who were doing a job there. I don't know if any of them made it out,I hope they did,I later found out that a nephew of my Aunt had been killed there,and also a fireman who I knew from staten Island who was on vacation at the time,and went to the site anyway. It took me seven hours to cross the 59th street bridge with the truck,as it was the only way out of Manhattan back to the outer Boros. I was amazed at the people I seen walking over the bridge,along with the traffic on the roadway,I would have to estimate that there were thousands,some climbed on the truck and I rode them across until I got to Queensboro Plaza,getting home from there was another story in itself!

I remember driving into work that morning and looking at the amazingly clear blue sky. It had been very hot and humid for a few days prior to 9/11 and I was thinking to myself "isn't this the most beautiful, perfect day?" I had just bought my horse, had a new BF and was on my way to a job I loved.

A few minutes after I got to work the COO came up to my desk and asked me "Did you hear about the plane that hit the World Trade Center" and the way he said it almost sounded like an opening for a joke. I asked him and he said no it wasn't. At the time they were thinking it was a private plane not a commercial passenger jet. I said to him, you know what, planes are like flying bombs - maybe they were trying to blow up the building. It gives me goosebumps still just thinking about it because I was right.

We put the coverage on the tv in the conference room and pretty much watched everything unfold. I remember saying to my buddy Les that it looked so FAKE and yet it wasn't. It reminded me of that movie the Towering Inferno... The vision of all the debris falling, some of them clearly people, with the plumes of smoke against the azure sky is still burned into my memories.

Before 9/11 people would ask each other "where were you when JFK was shot, or where were you when you heard about Pearl Harbor?" I hope to God that sometime down the road there isn't another event of such catastrophic proportion that we have to ask that question.
    And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted--nevermore!

Bake Guest

In Memory 9/11

Anyone flying their flags on 9/11? I got mine for my car today.

Maruz83 Guest
    I have one a my window at work

Carrie Guest
    We always have our flag out...it will be at half mast on the 11th.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Will be at half mast, as it is every year........

Lita Guest
    Always--I can't remember life before that day.

Always. This year will be double-difficult - Mom & Dad's 54th anniversary, first one without him.

God bless our troops.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    Always. This year will be double-difficult - Mom & Dad's 54th anniversary, first one without him.

God bless our troops.

I`m sorrry P........what a wonderful marriage that was......

This has inspired me....I am going to buy a flag!

gemini33 Guest
    7 years later and still hard. I will be watching United 93, World Trade Center, and videos on YouTube that day. It's a day of remembrance for me.

That was a evil day. I think all of us can remember what we were doing when we heard the news. I give all my respect and honor to those who lost their lifes on that fateful day. And to those here who lost someone on that day. We will be here for you.

MorbidMolly Guest
    I was still in school ( was a late bloomer raising my daughter and all ) and I was working at an underground facility for storing records to help make ends meet......650 feet underground......the first we heard was the Pentagon had been attacked......we all had computers, but only a couple of us had the internet.....we were on complete lcokdown because of the sensitive materials we stored.......we didn`t see the planes until much later in the day, and we were scared shitless.....we were not allowed to leave.....when they finally let us go I grabbed my daughter from my mom`s house ( who had blissfully slept through the whole day ) and ran home........I remember seeing lines at the pumps that blew my mind.....switched on the TV and just crumbled to my knees.......man, I`ll never forget that.........nor do I want to