Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jerry Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Happy to see Jerry has now stepped down.

Even people like Larry King did, and soon
    Regis Philbin will go into the Sunset.

Go before people are tired of seeing you.
    Jerry was free.
    The networks couldn't afford Larry and Regis.
    I wouldn't say they stepped down.
    They were forced down.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Oh no! Say it aint so!
    Remember how we kept you up to date about American comedian, Jerry Lewis, and his strides to help with muscular dystrophy? Well now the slapstick legend has been rushed to the hospital after he couldn’t step out of his car before an Australian benefit show. The incident came as a shock since Lewis had shown no symptoms of illness throughout the day.
    Lewis has been performing in a series of shows for the Muscular Dystrophy Foundation all across the land down under. Surely audience members were let down since the famous comedian has been producing laughs since the 40’s with Dean Martin.
    David Jack, CEO of the Muscular Dystrophy Foundation issued this statement:
    We would like to apologize to people who purchased tickets for tonight's show, but in unforeseen circumstances Jerry was not well enough to take the stage.
    Poor JerBear! Get well soon! XOXO
    http://perezhilton.com/#readmore
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

cloudddae Guest
    Not a fan... He was never funny, just obnoxious. IMO

I do admire his work wit MDF, however.

lobosco107 Guest

Jerry Lewis - Out At Telethon

Could not happen to a nicer jerk....

http://greatentertainersarchives.blo...-telethon.html

I guess I won't be watching the telethon this year. Jerry was just telling reporter that it wasn't true that he won't be on the telethon.The telethon is about a month away.

Just days after Jerry Lewis shot down rumors he was done hosting the Muscular Dystrophy Association annual telethon, the organization has announced the legendary funnyman won't be back as master of ceremonies at the annual event. He also is no longer the national MDA chairman.

"Jerry Lewis is a world-class humanitarian and we're forever grateful to him for his more than half century of generous service to MDA," MDA Chairman of the Board of Directors, R. Rodney Howell, M.D., said in a statement on Wednesday. "We will not be replacing him as MDA national chairman, and he will not be appearing on the Telethon."

Just last week Lewis told reporters as he promoted "Method to the Madness of Jerry Lewis," an Encore documentary about the legendary star, not to believe everything that had been reported, when asked if he was definitely out of hosting the MDA Telethon. He added at the time that he was planning to make an announcement in September.

Lewis made headlines last week when, while promoting his Encore special, he slammed reality TV, in particular, "American Idol" contestants.
    "The kids they get on 'American Idol,' they're all McDonalds' wipeouts... They all worked there and now they're doing that," he said of the people who try out for the show.
    "We don't have the soul in our industry that we had when I was working in it," he continued. "The soul has been desperately deteriorating [in] it, only because you've got a guy running a network whose aunt died and left him some stock."
    http://news.yahoo.com/jerry-lewis-md...225648013.html

Edna St. Vincent Millay

My father believed that since Jerry made millions distastefully playing a mentally handicapped person early in his career, he atoned for it by doing the telethon. It was neat back in the seventies seeing the broadcast toward the end when he became manic from coming down from the enormous amounts of speed he took for the show.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

deanfan Guest
    Wow, not much love for Jerry here. I always thought he was funny, better than the foul mouthed, unfunny idiots of today. I like some of his movies, "The Nutty Professor" is a fave. Eddie Murphy should've left it alone IMO. Not crazy about the older films with Dean. He has helped MDA so much. Kudos to him for that. I'm sure the parents of those handicapped children are more appreciative of him.

He's 85. Is he even capable of hosting anything other than a donated organ or a parasitic infection?
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

He's such a douchebag creep and what a surprise he's a Jersey boy.
    GO TAKE CARE OF YOUR HOMELESS ILLIGIITIMATE DAUGHTER YOU ASSHOLE.
    I always should learn to explain that I do make alot of spelling letters because of my cataracts I tend not to hit the correct keys.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

lobosco107 Guest
    AMEN!

The way this article describes it he was let go he didn't quit. In the past he's made homophobic remarks and commented to a woman about her menstral cycle.
    Those last 2 statements were in an article I read earlier that I can't find and I'm sweating too much to look.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,6785931.story
    Last edited by Jerseysucks; 08-06-2011 at 11:13 AM.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Assface made cracks about female comedians too. What a jackass.

I am glad the comedians are stepping up to the plate to pay tribute to Jerry.

Roger Ebert, Comedians Rally for Jerry Lewis After Telethon Ejection

Roger Ebert ripped Jerry Lewis's removal as host of the annual Muscular Dystrophy Association Telethon as comedians rallied in support. News came Wednesday that the Tucson-based MDA had relieved the 85-year-old comedian of his duties as host, despite Lewis’ assertion that the upcoming labor day telethon would be his last.
    Several comedians at Hollywood’s famous Laugh Factory, including Paul Rodriguez, Larry Miller, Tom Dreesen, and Norm Crosby, held a press conference at the club Friday to reprimand the MDA for dropping a man they see as a member of the family.
    "If this is the way we're going, we should also tell grandpa we don't need him for Thanksgiving," joked Miller to reporters.

Laugh Factory owner Jamie Masada told TheWrap that his club is holding a petition to present to the MDA. "The charity should have a better, bigger heart," he said.
    The comedians demand that Lewis at the very least should attend the telethon and be given a proper send-off to commemorate his 45 years as host. They have established a petition that has already gained over 10,000 signatures, but Masada is hoping for 100,000 signers expressing disapproval.
    "We don't want to boycott the charity of the kids," Masada continued. "We want to to raise money [for the cause] but they didn't have to be cold-hearted."
    The veteran actor, who struggles with a debilitating back condition, heart issues and pulmonary fibrosis will appear in the documentary “Method to the Madness of Jerry Lewis” airing on Encore October 22. The special features rare footage of Lewis in action, as well as comments from the likes of Jerry Eddie Murphy, Quentin Tarantino, and Alec Baldwin sharing appreciation for the legend.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...18001620110806

Edna St. Vincent Millay

NewYorkDoll Guest
    Rock Me Jerry Lewis Remix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSzbbTPLUq8

Yep, he is a complete asshat

BlueSapphire Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudddae View Post
    Not a fan... He was never funny, just obnoxious. IMO

I do admire his work wit MDF, however.
    Yeah that.

I ran across some old What's My Line videos on YouTube. Some featured Jerry Lewis and they showed what a complex guy he was and still must be.

The first showed he and Dean Martin as the mystery guests. He was doing the schtick he usually did with the debonair Martin.

The second was shortly after he and Dean broke up. Physically, he had filled out some and I was surprised that he was a handsome man.

The third made me want to slap him upside his head repeatedly. He was on the panel and they had a plus-size woman on as a guest. He abruptly made a joke that she must work with diet pills and it turned out to be true. Then it got ugly. He asked if she ever took them and when she said she lost 40 lbs, joked that if she gained it back that she could work for the LA Rams. She was laughing but I would bet wincing in pain inside. It was grossly insensitive of him.

The fourth time he was back on as a guest in the mid-60's. He had had success and failure by then. He was able to poke fun at himself and show pride in his son, Gary, who making records at that time. He was gracious and funny, go figure.
    Last edited by sierrarose; 01-26-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: grammar

This thread makes me sad. So many people who can't recognize absolutely brilliant talent.

He's silly. Period.
    Last edited by cindyt; 08-02-2013 at 12:14 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

knightstemplar22 Guest
    Whew, after reading all these comments for the past years sounds like Jerry should be have a title of Biggest Asshole of All Time. WTH, maybe so, but Martin and Lewis were HUGE in the fifties when America needed a good laugh and something new. They were the new comedy duo after Abbott and Costello. I think the old Colgate Comedy Hours with them are funny as hell and I bet their nightclub act was the shit. A movie with JL??? I just can't do it. He was great in small doses. And he did a lot for MS in the past...and I remember in the '70's watching just to see him disintegrate at the end. All the fame, all the drugs and all the failures build up on a guy and I think he just isn't relevant anymore. But Dean was the GREATEST!

Quote Originally Posted by knightstemplar22 View Post
    But Dean was the GREATEST!
    I second that. I often thought Dean's laid back demeanor helped him put up with Jerry.
    Archer Fact: You canâ??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

Does anyone remember Jerry's 1980 flick "Hardly Working" ??? I was in 5th grade at the time the movie came out. For reasons I had long since forgot as to why but our entire class had received passes to see that movie and each student had an additional pass for one of our parents to go with us. Watching the movie the kids laughed a lot but I remember the parents not laughing at anything in the movie. Last year I saw Hardly Working again ( for the first time since 1980 ) and unfortunately I laughed maybe twice during the entire movie. Now looking back I can see why the parents in that theater didn't laugh at Jerry and the movie.

I know Jerry gets a bad wrap on this site. However, after watching him being interviewed on YouTube, and the lavish praise he gave Deano. I am prepared to cut him a break. Sure he can be an asshole, but he can be generous also...... Complicated.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I know Jerry gets a bad wrap on this site. However, after watching him being interviewed on YouTube, and the lavish praise he gave Deano. I am prepared to cut him a break. Sure he can be an asshole, but he can be generous also...... Complicated.

I agree with you. Jerry is a very complicated. When I have listened to Jerry talk about Dean, I almost break down. He seems to really have loved Dean like a brother and understood why Dean broke free from the duo. It also says a lot when he reached out when Dean's son was killed. Jerry said he went to the funeral, but kept in the back so he didn't attract attention. He didn't want it to be about "Jerry".

Sometimes I want to kick his ego driven ass. But when he talks about Dean, he just mellows out.
    Cindy

could be one of Jerry's last interviews. he opens up about his son's death

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rac...up-sons-709775

ajlposh Guest

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    what? indeed. I mean that's fucked up. I'd be scared.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlposh View Post
    Wow Jerry's penis and my penis share a birthday with James Madison's penis (which reportedly had a very strong constitution).

Does anyone know when Milton Berle's penis was born?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Does anyone know when Milton Berle's penis was born?
    I think it's mentioned in Genesis. I think maybe the 3rd day God created Milton Berle's cock?

Wow. All that candle wax dripping and I never sang Happy Birthday to my Johnson.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

He won a big award recently if memory serves.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Everyone has their layers. Not everybody gets to see all of them. He made me laugh when we were both younger. What's left that he hasn't down? If the older he gets the more people he wants to tell them to fuck off, so be it. I'm finding myself feeling that way more everyday. Losing a child would make it fucked up too. Not the natural course of events.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    I think it's mentioned in Genesis. I think maybe the 3rd day God created Milton Berle's cock?
    LOL I'm just delighted that I got to use the word "penis" four times in one post. In praxis , that very rarely happens.
    I haven't been this pleased with myself since I was four years old and called my friend Robin a "poopy" because she ruined my sand castle. She gasped and whispered "you said a bad word", then we both giggled uncontrollably for hours.
    Yes, I lead a very hollow life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    LOL I'm just delighted that I got to use the word "penis" four times in one post. In praxis , that very rarely happens.
    I haven't been this pleased with myself since I was four years old and called my friend Robin a "poopy" because she ruined my sand castle. She gasped and whispered "you said a bad word", then we both giggled uncontrollably for hours.
    Yes, I lead a very hollow life.
    Well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    He's such a douchebag creep and what a surprise he's a Jersey boy.
    GO TAKE CARE OF YOUR HOMELESS ILLIGIITIMATE DAUGHTER YOU ASSHOLE.
    I always should learn to explain that I do make alot of spelling letters because of my cataracts I tend not to hit the correct keys.
    I so agree. Most stand up comics are big time jerks.(ie Bill Cosby)
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

ugh could never stand this jack ass. what a fucking dooooosh!

I have never thought he was funny.. just irritating.

Bidmor Guest
    Actually, the internet killed telethons. That format of fundraising had its time and now it has passed.

JacksTiger Guest
    The French love him. Everyone else thinks he's an asshole.

Wow...still going....Happy B'day Sir
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Happy Birthday!!

I think he's gone senile...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Loved him as a kid. I still think that "The Nutty Professor" is a comedy classic. It's sad to see him now as a very bitter and mean old man. Then again, reading this thread, it looks like he always has been a prick.

I never cared for his brand of humor; just not funny to me even as a kid. Maybe too OTT, I don't know. I don't think he's senile or anything, I think he's just a grumpy old man who thinks a whole lot of himself. I will say, tho, that at 90 y.o. he's probably just not into interviews (if he ever was) and their silly questions. "Do you think Las Vegas has changed?" really? Anyhoo, having grown up with a lot of these old folks once they all got into TV, I never got a lot of the humor. Don Rickles - couldn't stand him; Rodney Dangerfield - couldn't stand him; Bob Hope - never funny. Oh well, yay to him for making it this far, we can all only hope to make it to 90.

His brand of humor was never my thing either but I have to admit, I would like to see The Day the Clown Cried .