Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: John Candy

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydrvr7 View Post
    Wow! 15 years ago today we lost the gentle, big man of comedy. How the time flies...I am left wondering what funny things John might have been able to do had he lived a little longer...Rest In Peace gentle John.

i miss him so.

Last edited by RubySlippers; 03-04-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Snoopy Guest
    It doesn't seem possible! He really was just like a big Teddy Bear..Loved him in Uncle Buck..We lost a gem when he passed. RIP John

Am I the only one that liked Volunteers?

Tom Tuttle from Tacoma.

Loved that movie and just about everything John was in from SCTV to Uncle Buck. Great comedic actor with excellent timing and facial expressions. Miss him, dearly.

rickenbacker Guest
    Holy fark. 15 years?? I really wonder what he would be like today. Such a funny, talented guy. I'm going to raise my light in peace to the Fishin' Musician!

GrinReaper Guest
    He was great at doing dramady too in Cool Runnings.

R.I.P. John Candy

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post

Tom Tuttle from Tacoma.

Loved that movie and just about everything John was in from SCTV to Uncle Buck. Great comedic actor with excellent timing and facial expressions. Miss him, dearly.
    Yeah. How can anyone not love him? Not only was he really funny, but there was a warmth he brought to some of his charecters too.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSunshine View Post
    I still get goosebumps when I think of the scene in Planes, Trains when he says to Steve Martin "I like me."
    I thought I was the only one who still reacts with a chill when he says that line!

John Hughes sure seemed to be thrilled with big John too when you consider how many movies he made with or made a spot for John in. Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Uncle Buck, Home Alone...all big movies that still stand as comedy classics and especially family friendly fare. Okay...maybe the scene where "U.B." drives golf balls at Tia's former flame "Bug" was a little less than family friendly but it was still a classic scene...I wish I had an Uncle that could have done that for me!!!

sablegsd Guest
    I loved John Candy. Still miss him and his work.

radiojane Guest
    Wow... fifteen years.... I still remember that day like it was yesterday. RIP old pal.

Nerak Guest
    Love, love, love John Candy...R.I.P.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post

Tom Tuttle from Tacoma.

Agreed! Loved Tom Tuttle from Tacoma even though he was a Coug vs. a Husky!!! RIP John... I can't believe it's been 15 years!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qLzQ4uOvio

More Cheese Please Guest

Forever-27 Guest
    I didnt like pretty much anything he ever did. His comdy just isnt funny.

But he was awsome as the voiceover in Heavy Metal : The Movie. As Den

Also the security guard at WalleyWorld in the National Lampoons Vacation movie. Great in both parts.

Other then thoes 2 parts, he just wasnt funny.

RIP Big Man!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

What a sweetheart this guy was. I wish I could have met him and said thanks for all of the great comedy.

bluebird14 Guest
    I would have liked to have seen him in a movie with Steve Martin. John candy was a great comedic actor, and I think The great outdoors was one of the best movies ever. I wish more actors these days were like John.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebird14 View Post
    I would have liked to have seen him in a movie with Steve Martin. John candy was a great comedic actor, and I think The great outdoors was one of the best movies ever. I wish more actors these days were like John.
    You are in luck, he did a movie with Steve Martin....Planes, Trains and Automobiles. It is a must see, very funny with some serious parts too. It will make you tear up at the end.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is a GREAT movie. It is very funny, sweet, and a little sad, too. One of John Candy's best. I am also really fond of "Only the Lonely" with Maureen O'Hara and John Candy. Another winner.

bluebird14 Guest
    YAY!!!! Now I have to watch planes trains and automobiles!!!

I didnt know they were all in that movie!

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    I didnt like pretty much anything he ever did. His comdy just isnt funny.

But he was awsome as the voiceover in Heavy Metal : The Movie. As Den

Also the security guard at WalleyWorld in the National Lampoons Vacation movie. Great in both parts.

Other then thoes 2 parts, he just wasnt funny.
    I like him because he was a Canadian but I will agree his movies are lame. I know many people who grew up in the 80's like me sentimentalize the comedies of those times (many of which starred SNL members) but in retrospect most of them just suck.

Mrs Tingles Guest
    I still can't believe this guy is dead. I loved planes, trains.

doom_buggy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tingles View Post
    I still can't believe this guy is dead. I loved planes, trains.
    Same here. Where does the time go? I remember finding out about his death while I was in line for a taping of David Letterman in NYC. Everyone was shocked. Loved him on SCTV. He will be missed.

RIP Big Guy. Thank you for your phone call. You made my day.
    Cindy

I watched Home Alone during Christmas season and I love the parts with John Candy. He always made me laugh. RIP

He was such a good actor in Uncle Buck, Cool Runnings and my favorite Summer Rental.
    If I remember reading something about him participating in these multi day feasts of really odd food like bears feet and shit like that.
    I also heard when he was filming Wagons East he was so heavy the horses had a hard time with him riding them.
    Sorry if any of these have been already brought up but I don't feel like going thry 4 pages of threads.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Ilmatar Guest
    We have tons of movies, but none with John Candy. My husband was channel-surfing the other day and all of a sudden he started laughing like a maniac. Naturally, I had to go and see what was so funny. It was Cool Runnings, we watched a bit and decided that we should start collecting Candy's movies, too.

DEAD HEAD Guest
    I just caught the Great Outdoors on cable about a week ago , what a funny movie ...its not the first time I've seen it , but just as funny as the first time ... He was really good !!!

Bidmor Guest
    On the "Stripes" bonus section, Harold Ramis recalled John fondly and about being an early film for John and himself. Bill Murray was the star after his success on SNL and was, according to Ramis, aloof. Ramis recalled every day after shooting was over, John would go to his trailer and start cooking. Everyone was welcome to the Candy feast...the cast, crew members, bystanders...John was having a good time cooking and entertaining. According to Ramis, the only cast member never to darken John's door was Murray. After shooting, he'd skulk off to his trailer or go clubbing. Even Warren Oates partook of Candy's nightly food fest and party a couple of times. P.J. Soles and Sean Young echoed Ramis' recollections and loved Candy. The living prime cast members all made themselves available for the extras interviews, except Murray, who had to be tracked down in a Japanese club, virtually in the dark, drink in hand, and talking incoherently.

What a contrast and a shame.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 02-23-2010 at 02:29 PM.

OK, I found out yesterday that one of my fellow directors and one of my arrangers did John Candy's service. The arranger drove the hearse, and he said it was bizarre, cause the 405 freeway was shut down by the CHP for the procession, so it was wide open which is unheard of here in So Cal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

davidbrown Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    On the "Stripes" bonus section, Harold Ramis recalled John fondly and about being an early film for John and himself. Bill Murray was the star after his success on SNL and was, according to Ramis, aloof. Ramis recalled every day after shooting was over, John would go to his trailer and start cooking. Everyone was welcome to the Candy feast...the cast, crew members, bystanders...John was having a good time cooking and entertaining. According to Ramis, the only cast member never to darken John's door was Murray. After shooting, he'd skulk off to his trailer or go clubbing. Even Warren Oates partook of Candy's nightly food fest and party a couple of times. P.J. Soles and Sean Young echoed Ramis' recollections and loved Candy. The living prime cast members all made themselves available for the extras interviews, except Murray, who had to be tracked down in a Japanese club, virtually in the dark, drink in hand, and talking incoherently.

Is Bill Murray always like that? If it doesn't involve him, he pouts like a little kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post

Well now maybe Bill was depressed or in the throws of drug addiction at the time. Maybe he had a loved one dying from illness or drug addiction but could not see them personally due to contractual obligations. Maybe his body was inhabited and under the control of an angel a genum or a reptile from the future. We all go through our dark times should we be judged for eternity by a single temporary bioluminescent emulsion burned into the psychophotographic film that makes up but one layer of the multidimentional synaptic reality of the highly equivocal human memory or would you rather your temporal modality be construed as various layers of transparent film overlayed upon eachother achieving the effect of an animated and dynamic sequence?
    http://vodpod.com/watch/64707-expose-seasons-change
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    OK, I found out yesterday that one of my fellow directors and one of my arrangers did John Candy's service. The arranger drove the hearse, and he said it was bizarre, cause the 405 freeway was shut down by the CHP for the procession, so it was wide open which is unheard of here in So Cal.
    That is so touching that they did that in tribute to the man...16 years and counting since we lost John. Still as sad to think about as when I first heard the news.

aedgar5000 Guest
    God, I absolutely loved John Candy. I mean, I loved his movies, but does anyone here remember Camp Candy? I would get up on Saturday mornings as a kid excited as hell to watch it I loved John so much.

I don't recall ever seeing Camp Candy. Sorry I missed it. I've always LOVED John Candy! He was a special person, and a wonderful actor. If I come across Uncle Buck on TV I stop what I'm doing and watch it... must have seen it 20 times. It's still my favorite. He was truly unique and so funny! RIP, dear John.

Does he have any children? I think he has 1 son and 1 daughter. They are never mentioned anywhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aedgar5000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pyt View Post
    Does he have any children? I think he has 1 son and 1 daughter. They are never mentioned anywhere.
    I believe his children are Jennifer and Christopher. Take care, pyt

slingshot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pyt View Post
    Wiki says his daughter is Jennifer Candy. No mention of a son that I saw. Wow, I didnt know he had kids! I can still remember when he died. I always loved Second City. Lots of talent there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Candy

JudyAnn Guest
    In re: John Candy's children, Jennifer and Christopher. Look what I found! Watching now...

http://www.johncandy.com/Video.aspx?VideoSection=35

aedgar5000 Guest
    Wow. You can see so much of John in Jennifer and Christopher. I love how Jennifer constantly watches her dad's movies. That's sweet. You can also tell Dan really missed and loved the man, too.

Outstanding link, JudyAnn. Thank you.

slingshot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyAnn View Post
    In re: John Candy's children, Jennifer and Christopher. Look what I found! Watching now...

http://www.johncandy.com/Video.aspx?VideoSection=35
    Wow, thanks!

I hadnt thought about John in ages till I saw this thread. I love Second City. Havent seen a rerun in a while but always love Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara and the others. Hard to believe its been 17 years since his passing.

I have a book that lists celebrities' last meals and the recipes to make them. John Candy ate "Mexican Spaghetti" the night he died.

We miss him so much. My kids were so excited when we toured Disney and they saw the turkey character that was meant to star in Pochahantas. John Candy was to be the voice, but it never came to pass.

That actually sounds good. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aedgar5000 Guest
    By the way, Summer Rental is on AMC right now.

deanfan Guest
    Being a big SCTV fan, I love John Candy. I really hated it when he died. He always seemed like a nice person.

aedgar5000 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deanfan View Post
    Being a big SCTV fan, I love John Candy. I really hated it when he died. He always seemed like a nice person.
    I've only ever heard and read good things about him as a person.

I really hate how guys who are bigger, have such low self-esteems. Chris Farley too, was another man who was very insecure. Very sad. He was a warm-hearted man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mrsunshine Guest
    He never looked like he was acting. All his roles were likeable guys.
    How can anyone not like Mr.Candy ?

He even had a cool name.

Mammy Guest
    It is hard to believe that John has been gone for over seventeen years. I was pregnant with my son when John died. He is my favorite actor of all time and I really miss him. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles and Uncle Buck are my favorite movies of his. Such a shame that he died so young!

NakedScotsman Guest
    John was one of the best, I love just about every movie he was in.

deanfan Guest
    Stayed up late last night because one of my faves "Only the Lonely" was on.