Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: John Candy

"Where is your other hand?"
    "Between 2 pillows."
    "Those aren't pillows!!"

John gave us some funny classic movies. They are classics because any time there is a long weekend of stat holiday they are playing John Candy movies. Family movies. And he was a nice man too from all I have read or heard of him. I did always wonder though about his weight and if his health was bad.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

One of my favorite line exchanges ever.

John Candy will forever be one of the greatest things to grace my childhood. Feels strange referring to him as a thing. It's the embodiment of all that is Candy that I refer to. He was amazing at keeping adult humor acceptable for the youngsters. I miss him.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

This is my favorite clip from Trains Planes.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbgOACJpZg0

I recall being the first people in my town of 50 people to have a VCR. Mom paid $700 for it. And that first one worked for years!!! Way better than any DVD player we have ever owned. Our first batch of movies we rented for 5 days was Stripes, The Outlaw Josie Wales, Dirty Harry and one other one I have forgotten the name. We watched them over and over and over again. We had cousins over for Christmas. It was probably much like people having a TV for the first time. To actually watch a movie, stop it, rewind it, watch it to the end and watch it all over again, watch it at 8 in the morning or at 10 at night, to pause it to answer the phone, etc....was a huge novelty. We thought we were kings. Anyhow my point was I probably saw Stripes 10 times that week and it was always funny.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Watched Planes, Trains, and Automobiles last night with the family as tradition dictates.

I cry every single time.

He is truly missed.
    Such a great movie. My favorite is still Uncle Buck. It was such a great movie. I think I also like it because I believe the character he played in Uncle Buck is similar to what kind of person he was in real life.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    Such a great movie. My favorite is still Uncle Buck. It was such a great movie. I think I also like it because I believe the character he played in Uncle Buck is similar to what kind of person he was in real life.
    I also think the character he played in "Uncle Buck" was what he was really like in person. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about him or that they didn't like him. He just struck me as a friendly, down to earth guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I also think the character he played in "Uncle Buck" was what he was really like in person. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about him or that they didn't like him. He just struck me as a friendly, down to earth guy.
    Yep. Just an all around nice guy.

I remember hearing, shortly after he died, that he was an avid hockey fan. He always got season tickets for some Canadian team (I have no idea which team). Anyway, he had plenty of money to sit in the VIP section, but John always sat in the regular seats with his kids. And when fans approached him he was very gracious. So I think you're right, he probably was a very "Uncle Buck" character. He seemed very down to earth and not caught up in his own celebrity.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    I remember hearing, shortly after he died, that he was an avid hockey fan. He always got season tickets for some Canadian team (I have no idea which team). Anyway, he had plenty of money to sit in the VIP section, but John always sat in the regular seats with his kids. And when fans approached him he was very gracious. So I think you're right, he probably was a very "Uncle Buck" character. He seemed very down to earth and not caught up in his own celebrity.
    I wish I'd had the opportunity to meet him. He would have been a breath of fresh air compared to what passes for celebs these days with their arrogance, giant egos, and sense of entitlement. I have no doubt that he never uttered the words "Don't you know who I am?" when he didn't get his way. The world has too few John Candys and too many Kardashian/Lohans.

That would be the Toronto Maple Leafs.
    Regards,
    Tamie

I wish I'd had the opportunity to meet him. He would have been a breath of fresh air compared to what passes for celebs these days with their arrogance, giant egos, and sense of entitlement. I have no doubt that he never uttered the words "Don't you know who I am?" when he didn't get his way. The world has too few John Candys and too many Kardashian/Lohans.
    I so agree, many celebs now are just highly paid a$$holes. He was a very sweet man and very humble. You know how they list celebrity "demands" when they go on tour or make appearances like "bottled water, jelly beans, only 100% cotton towels in the following colors: purple, gold and green", cheese trays with only organically fed cow products, Gucci slippers ect...." I bet John never made those kind of demands. If he did it was probably "a beer and a toque" LOL
    Last edited by NewEnglander; 12-05-2013 at 07:02 PM.

yes John Candy was Canadian lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Delirious is gonna be on tonight. Check your local listings if you're a fan of his and haven't seen this one because he's hilarious in it

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Delirious is gonna be on tonight. Check your local listings if you're a fan of his and haven't seen this one because he's hilarious in it

I miss him.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    I miss him.
    Me too. Life hasn't been the same without his cheeky grin. And he was a nice guy too.

Me too. Life hasn't been the same without his cheeky grin. And he was a nice guy too.

I totally believe that. "Uncle Buck" is one of my all time favorite movies!!!
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

He was so funny in Stripes, along with all the other mega talent in that movie.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Well you don't have to miss him if you keep an eye out for his stuff.

That's one of the things about dead stars. They can always be found on tv or online. Sometimes theaters show their flicks in film festivals and fund raising events. I like those alot. If somebody put on a John Candy film festival with interviews and his tv stuff mixed in, they could probably raise alot of money for a good cause. And introduce him to a whole new audience/generation at the same time.

That is one nice thing about that good actor thingy. You become immortal. John is for sure.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Well you don't have to miss him if you keep an eye out for his stuff.

That's one of the things about dead stars. They can always be found on tv or online. Sometimes theaters show their flicks in film festivals and fund raising events. I like those alot. If somebody put on a John Candy film festival with interviews and his tv stuff mixed in, they could probably raise alot of money for a good cause. And introduce him to a whole new audience/generation at the same time.
    I agree, but the one movie I can't watch him in is Planes, Trains and Automobiles. His character broke my heart in that movie and I haven't been able to watch since he passed away.

That's my fave of his. ^^^ He shows a complete range of talent in that from drama to tragedy to comedy. The goofy yet crafty shower curtain ring salesman with a heart of gold.

DonnaMc Guest
    RIP John on the 21st anniversary of your death.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaMc View Post

21 years. It doesn't seem that long. I sure miss him. In his honor I will watch one of his movies today. RIP John Candy and thanks for still making us laugh and cry 21 years later.

One of the first celebs I actually was sad when I heard he passed, I was 15 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Ghost View Post
    21 years. It doesn't seem that long. I sure miss him. In his honor I will watch one of his movies today. RIP John Candy and thanks for still making us laugh and cry 21 years later.
    Wow, that long? Seems like yesterday.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Seemed like a genuine guy. I love all his stuff going back to SCTV. The same guy who told me he was dead was the one who said at work, "Did you hear the space shuttle exploded?"

Both times I just felt empty inside; a void at the center of my being.

I think I've said that here before.

RIP; bless you and thank you John.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaMc View Post

Actually John Candy passed away on march 4, 1994 that would be 20 years ago but still it doesn't seem that long ago.

Who's Harry Crumb just started and I've never seen it. Yay! No idea what it's about. Just flipped the dial and there it was. John's wearing a turban and crawling through an air vent right now.

You're in for a treat.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Summer Rental's on right after. Guess we're havin' a marathon up in hyuuur and I noticed it at just the right time

I watched Summer Rental last night and highly recommend it if you're a John Candy fan and want a good laugh. 80's goofball comedy fare. He's hilarious as the family man who just wants to take his family on a nice, summer beach vacation but deals with one mishap after another.

32. 03-18-2014, 11:08 AM
    Reason
    spam

Blonde Guest
    I miss this man so much. Him and Farley.

William B.....................

jc1305us Guest
    Amazing. 20 years ago?! Wow. I was working at A&P and was a senior in high school. I remember the front page of the NY Post, "So Long John" Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    William B.....................
    Sammy Maudlin's sidekick on SCTV! Loved John Candy. I remember Dave Thomas appearing on Larry King the night John died, he broke down in tears, saying, "I've lost my friend..." All the SCTV gang were like family to each other. Catherine O'Hara delivered his eulogy at the memorial in St. Basil's church in Toronto. What a shock his death was to friends and fans alike.

I miss my fellow Canadain person.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    I miss my fellow Canadain person.
    I miss him, too. He's still my favorite actor.

ladytinamarie Guest
    I too remember him from SCTV. Good gravy, he was funny. I remember his beautiful smile too. I remember being so happy for him when his career took off. We still miss you, John.

Admin Cindy Guest
    RIP Sir

Funnily enough the latest episode of Autopsy was about him.

As it turns out, filming Stripes and the aftermath of it wasn't great for him. When he did the mud wrestling scene, he said it was the most humiliating thing he had ever done and when the reviews came out, it got to him that the film had the likes of Bill Murray in it but they were singling him out calling him an elephant etc.

He also told his friend that after finishing Wagons he was done with movies unless it was his own ones he was appearing in.