Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Newman

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    An acquaintance of mine lives near them in Connecticut. She said that it's well known that if you run into them in town you are not to ask them any questions. She said they're not difficult people - just private.

I have a tendency to believe her (on this) because I remember a story about Paul Newman and the Indy 500...he was more than cordial to people talking about subjects other than acting/showbusiness/famous people. Racing cars? He'd talk all day. He just wasn't into the "star treatment'.

Sounds like a grounded guy to me. I hope that he's in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post
    probably looks worse off than this photo now...
    Thanks for the pic mate.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

desertangel Guest
    Just wanted to add that I was in the grocery store the other day and there was another tabloid with a huge picture of Paul and glaring headlines saying he has cancer and is very ill, may be close to death.

Pray for Paul!!!

This tabloid edition is out more than a month since the first report, which makes me think it might be true.

I used to really be into Indy racing and rooted for his Newman-Haas team.

Check out the movie Winning, it's truly Paul at his best, doing what he loved to do. Here is a write up about it:

Newman's involvement in racing up to this point was strictly from the spectator end. He often rearranged his shooting schedule to attend the Indy 500 (the centerpiece contest in this film) and other races. With this project, he saw his chance to finally get behind the wheel. He and co-star Robert Wagner, who plays his rival, went to the famous Robert Bondurant Racing School, where James Garner and Yves Montand had trained for the earlier racing picture Grand Prix (1966). Newman and Wagner had far less time to learn than their predecessors, but within a week, Newman had amazed his teacher by advancing to driving solo. He began shooting Winning with only two weeks of high-performance driving experience, refusing a stunt double for many of the race sequences, a move that forced the worried studio to insure him for $3 million.

Woodward was equally frightened of her husband's newfound enthusiasm for the sport, especially after going out with him for a high-speed run around the track that left her fingernail marks in his arm. She even tried to get a sense of the appeal racing held for him by taking a turn around the Indy track herself during production - at 40 miles an hour. But she remained unconvinced. "She thinks competitive driving is the silliest thing in the world," Newman said. "It is also very scary for her, and she doesn't much care for it." But that didn't stop him from entering a number of races well into his 70s, even after some potentially serious crashes at 100+ miles per hour.
    Last edited by desertangel; 03-30-2008 at 12:48 AM.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNutZipper View Post
    An acquaintance of mine lives near them in Connecticut. She said that it's well known that if you run into them in town you are not to ask them any questions. She said they're not difficult people - just private.

I have a tendency to believe her (on this) because I remember a story about Paul Newman and the Indy 500...he was more than cordial to people talking about subjects other than acting/showbusiness/famous people. Racing cars? He'd talk all day. He just wasn't into the "star treatment'.

Sounds like a grounded guy to me. I hope that he's in good health.
    Years ago Newman would race cars at a track about 15 miles from me.
    I heard the exact same thing. Nice guy, very nice to people..just don't talk about Hollywood to him.

As far as his health goes, until I hear about it in the other media ( CNN, ET and the like ) I assume for a guy past 80 he is still in good health.
    I just have a hard time believing the taboilds on this one.

OBX Guest
    Just read yesterday he will be at the IRL race today, which is the first since IRL and CART re-united. He was on CART's side in the brouhaha and yesterday was trying to get the fans to come back to the new combined group.

So you can watch Danica Patrick today and I am sure they will show Paul Newman in the audience somewhere. He is huge there.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX View Post
    Just read yesterday he will be at the IRL race today, which is the first since IRL and CART re-united. He was on CART's side in the brouhaha and yesterday was trying to get the fans to come back to the new combined group.

So you can watch Danica Patrick today and I am sure they will show Paul Newman in the audience somewhere. He is huge there.
    WAIT WHAT

I watched the IRL race yesterday; they were at Homestead, Fl.

OBX Guest
    Was it yesterday? Well, I just read, not watch racing. Was he there? Per ESPN he was.

pvezz Guest
    OBX, if he was, they didn't say a word about it. They were too busy showing Danica's "Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition" shots.

desertangel Guest
    Sat. Mar 29, opening day of the series. Happy to learn of the teams joining. I parted ways with the split. If Newman attended, I can't see that he is all that gravely ill.

Morbid1 Guest
    I thinks its just rumers..he out there racing cars and enjoying life!

One of the best actors of our time!

-Morbid1

Patience54 Guest
    Cashluv,

Do you have a link to the Jerry Orbach interview in which he claimed to be cancer free? I have been wondering about the details of his illness. I thought his death was related to a bad reaction to chemo. I hadn't heard that he chose to give up treatment.... but it sounds likely, since he died shortly thereafter. I also hope Paul Newman is OK, but am skeptical of denials these days....

Norma Desmond Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post

He doesn't necessarily look ill, just elderly...

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I read last Thursday's New York Post and it said people had reported him being at an oncologist's office several times for treatments, so maybe he does have cancer. Yes, he looks haggard, but the man is old, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    I read last Thursday's New York Post and it said people had reported him being at an oncologist's office several times for treatments, so maybe he does have cancer. Yes, he looks haggard, but the man is old, so who knows.
    Notice the red splashs on his face? Looks as if he's had some skin cancers removed. You don't usually go to an oncologist for that, unless something came up.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Well if he has cancer it would not be too long before the story breaks. I hope he doesn't have it.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

monroe27 Guest
    his salad dressings and lemonade are really tasty.

Reecy Guest
    I agree Monroe. I love his Ceaser salad dressing. One thing about Paul is his generosity above everything else. He has always been so giving. I love this man and hope he's doing well and not in any pain.

cherryghost Guest
    I make my own delicious salad dressings but I hope Paul is going OK, I do love an actor who becomes more dignified as they age! There are not that many of them.

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    he looks old go figure he is old but i dont think he looks sick just a little saggy around the edges

i wonder if he eats his own dressings alot

crazedfemale Guest
    I know someone who works at ABC - she told me that ABC has already researched and completed his obituary. I don't know what that means. I know he no longer acts in movies. He's in his 80's. However, his loss would be hard on all of us. Not many true "stars" left in Hollywood.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scarsxofxlove View Post

i wonder if he eats his own dressings alot
    Thats a GOOD question !!!
    I wonder !!!

I have heard that many of those who sold products with their names attached ( commericals, food brands, etc..) don't eat them themselves.

Back in 1983 my dad met Roy Rogers. He was in town opening up one of his restaurants that bore his name. My dad asked him what his favorite food item was. From what my dad told me, Roy told him he won't touch anything at Roy Rogers. LOL

Reecy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post

Looking at this photo I'm wondering if Poor Paul is undergoing Chemotheraphy.

it's time to use some of this..........
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Here's a little something I dug up...

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/rumours%20about%20newmans %20health%20refuse%20to%20go%20away_1064002

Reports of movie legend PAUL NEWMAN's cancer battle are refusing to go away, even after his spokesperson recently insisted that hospital visits were nothing serious. The 83-year-old star missed a fundraising event for his Hole in The Wall Gang children's charity at the beginning of March (08), fuelling speculation he's undergoing cancer surgery. Newman has insisted he was simply being treated for "athlete's foot and hairloss," but a patient of an unnamed New York state oncologist told the New York Post newspaper that the actor had been a regular visitor to their mutual doctor. And now, U.S. tabloid the Globe claims Newman has just months to live in a new world exclusive expose. The publication reports friends and neighbours haven't seen Newman for months and some fear he'll be dead before the end of 2008. And a report on local news website WestportNow.com, which covers the Connecticut area where the actor and his wife Joanne Woodward live, claims Newman was recently rushed to hospital by amulance. Those close to the Color of Money star insist his most recent hospital stay was prompted by "back troubles". The Globe reports Newman's visits to his oncologist are kept top secret because the medic's clinic is located on the first floor of a residential high-rise building, and only those with appointments can get past door security. One cancer patient, who has seen Newman at the top secret clinic, tells the publication, "Paul doesn't openly talk much when he's in the doctor's waiting room. He just stares down at his hands."

lab_rat Guest
    According to this he has lung cancer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ng-cancer.html

Guest Guest
    it was reported today that he is dying of lung cancer. His family is not talking to the press now.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I read this too . Lung cancer . Used to be a 3 pack a day guy. They give him 6 months and he quit 30 years ago. Once you have been a heavy smoker it does not good to quit as the damage is done. (AS I light up )

Martini Guest
    Here's a picture of Martha Stewart with Paul Newman a week ago at her charity event. Boy, he doesn't look good.

Reecy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Martini View Post
    Here's a picture of Martha Stewart with Paul Newman a week ago at her charity event. Boy, he doesn't look good.

He doesn't look well to me. I can see it in his neck.

phirerednga Guest
    I really hated hearing about his probably having lung cancer, such a great actor and person.

Vamp Guest
    He is my favorite actor of all time. My heart goes out to him and his family.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I read this too . Lung cancer . Used to be a 3 pack a day guy. They give him 6 months and he quit 30 years ago. Once you have been a heavy smoker it does not good to quit as the damage is done. (AS I light up )
    LMAOOOO.........have one for me ........in all seriousness, Paul is looking a bit worse for the wear.......my FIL is 79 and looks great, and he ain`t had an easy life........they all seem to deny their sick right before the grim reaper pays a visit.......I think it`s a privacy thing , myself.........not that they get much.......but if I KNEW for sure I was dying the last thing I would want is the whole world doing a " death watch " for me......although I`ve done it enough times for celebs .........anyway, hope if it`s true he doesn`t suffer........

xenaswolf Guest
    Sad to hear about Cool Hand Luke being sick...isn't he like 3 years older than dirt now?

34. 06-10-2008, 05:09 AM

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Wow I hope it's not true..but that last pic of him and Martha Stewart..he looks ill..and the time frame they gave is about right..they gave him 6 months? my dad had Lung cancer he was gone 8 months after they diagnosed him..so sad.

Cherry Malotte Guest
    I'm just beside myself...what a great man and great actor. While I hope it's not true it sure looks like it is. I don't blame his family for keeping their lips locked, it's their personal business. Why would you want your final days or months being dogged by the papps?

God bless him...

ShatteredMirror Guest
    Looks like sad news alright. A wonderful actor and a great humanitarian. What's more, humble with it.
    He will be missed.

JestersKiss Guest

Love this pic,,,,,,,,

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    Sad to hear about Cool Hand Luke being sick...isn't he like 3 years older than dirt now?
    3 years older than dirt ?? ROFLMAO !!!!!!

but seriously, I was also gonna point out that aside from possibly being sick, paul is not exactly any spring chicken either, so what is he expected to look like ???

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I wouldn't blame it on smoking 30 years ago, he is 83, you have to die of something.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    I wouldn't blame it on smoking 30 years ago, he is 83, you have to die of something.
    Ditto on that........

cachluv Guest
    Everytime anyone gets sick it's because they either smoke or they did smoke. It's just what everyone says now, it makes everyone who doesn't smoke feel good. I'm suprised when he announced he had athlete's foot and he was losing his hair that people didn't cry 'tar and nicotine' there too. With all the processing and refining and chemical additives and pesticides and hormones and artificial additives and other ingredients that each one of us ingests on a daily basis I personally would find it hard to diagnose the cause of someone ELSE'S cancer over the Internet.

I said above, in Feb, that I don't believe denials anymore. And here we go.

I am sorry to hear Paul Newman is sick. He seems very brave in the face of it all. He seems to have had a great life, and I'm glad for that too.

hotmama Guest
    love paul with his old azz. have any of you ever bought his salad dressings?? i think it is hilarious how the picture of him on bottle is him at a very young age and he is actually a senior citizen. i bought a bottle and he was on it looking like julius ceasear. i liked it.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    People get lung cancer who never smoked. He's 83.

cachluv Guest
    The Olive Oil and Vinegar is to die for. I don't do 'creamy': mayonnaise in any of it's forms makes me cry with fear. The clear stuff RULES.

MorbidMolly Guest

Paul Newman Is Not Dead

The Spanish News station here are reporting Paul Newman has died........I can`t find anything........has anyone else heard anything

Vamp Guest
    CNN and BBC and Drudge aren't saying he is dead so I think it is a false report.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Whoa, I will feel awful, I've been being sarcastic on his sons thread

JestersKiss Guest
    I will go investigate

1karenhb Guest
    God I hope not, my heart just about stopped when I read this.

JestersKiss Guest
    Im not finding anything,,,,,he is battling cancer, but no death reported