Thread: Spacebar Issues

Spacebar Issues

I've been having an unusual issue. My computer had needed to be rebooted after an update for weeks, so I chalked it up to that. But after I rebooted it, it's still the same. It's my spacebar. It works when I create a thread (like this one), respond to a post WITHOUT quoting it. But when I quote it? The spacebar doesn't work. At all. I have to go to the end of the quote, where it says "[/QUOTE]" and type a few words, spacebar works fine, then go back to the beginning of my sentence and hit enter. New paragraph? Same thing. This is the only place it happens. I can write in my word processing software just fine, other forums are just fine. Is this happening to anyone else?
    "I'm glad I don't have to hunt for my food. I don't even know where sandwiches live." ~~~seen on Facebook

I don't know what to advise you, Ria. I often have weird problems on this site. Have you tried restarting or clearing your cache?

I suspect a loose nut on the keyboard.

I have all sorts of typing related issues on the site. If I quote a post that is more than a couple of lines long it only "quotes" part of it. When I type, characters may or may not appear; I sometimes have to hit them multiple times.

I can click the "underlined A" character on the far left of the menu to switch the editor mode and it will type fine after that. None of that used to happen - been going on for me for months now - tried several browsers with similar results.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I don't know what to advise you, Ria. I often have weird problems on this site. Have you tried restarting or clearing your cache?
    Yep, it's the weirdest thing. My computer had updated and needed a reboot for weeks, so I chalked it up to that. So tonight I went ahead and did the reboot, and when it does this and installs updates it automatically clears the cache. And that's why I KNOW it's not my computer OR the keyboard (or ME, as Jim suggested). It doesn't happen anywhere else.
    "I'm glad I don't have to hunt for my food. I don't even know where sandwiches live." ~~~seen on Facebook

Spacebar?

Mos Eisley - you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Spacebars are bad news - you might want to find someplace else to chill.

Let's be analytical about this:

Did you actually press the spacebar or did you only think about pressing the spacebar?

This could be key.

I do that myself quite often. It's not so bad here on the site, but sometimes I say stuff out loud when I only meant to think it to myself. Last time I did that publically, a bunch of people signed a petition trying to get me to run for public office.

Seriously, try selecting the "A" character in the menu bar on the far left to change the editor mode. Nick told me to do that a while back. It works, but sometimes if you have already typed something before pressing it you'll lose part of it.

Oh it's not just me then! I'm having the same issue with the spacebar. At first I thought my keyboard was having problems but it's just here. Then I noticed it's only when I reply with a quote. The workaround that I use is after you hit reply with quote, then click Go Advanced, and the spacebar issue goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Oh it's not just me then! I'm having the same issue with the spacebar. At first I thought my keyboard was having problems but it's just here. Then I noticed it's only when I reply with a quote. The workaround that I use is after you hit reply with quote, then click Go Advanced, and the spacebar issue goes away.
    That's good to know. Thanks, Domino!

You're welcome. I was just excited to see that someone else had the same problem. LOL. I thought it was my keyboard until after a few days I realized it was only here.

Jim, it seriously is not me, please stop insinuating that it is. Domino is having the same problem. I am also a writer, so yes, I'm certain I am pressing the spacebar. Domino, I'm glad I'm not alone.

Thanks for coming forward, I thought I was nuts.

Ria, Jim is teasing.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    Jim, it seriously is not me, please stop insinuating that it is. Domino is having the same problem. I am also a writer, so yes, I'm certain I am pressing the spacebar. Domino, I'm glad I'm not alone.

Thanks for coming forward, I thought I was nuts.

I am teasing Ria, my apologies if I offended you.

"Loose nut on the keyboard" is a comment a guy I used to work with would make whenever somebody complained about a computer issue. The first couple of times he did it I thought, "That's silly - there aren't any nuts on that keyboard" - then I realized that he was joking about "operator error".

"Did I only think that or did I say it out loud?" is a line I stole from Homer Simpson:

“Well, time to go to work.” – Homer says.

“Little do they know, I’m ducking out early to take the Duff Brewery tour.” – Homer thinks.

“Roll in at nine, punch out at five, that’s the plan.” – Homer says.

“Heh heh heh, they don’t suspect a thing … Well, off to the plant!” – Homer thinks.

“Then to the Duff Brewery.” – Homer says.

“Uh-oh, did I say that or just think it?” – Homer thinks.

“I gotta think of a lie fast.” – Homer says.

“Homer, are you going to the Duff Brewery?” – Marge Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I am teasing Ria, my apologies if I offended you.

"Loose nut on the keyboard" is a comment a guy I used to work with would make whenever somebody complained about a computer issue. The first couple of times he did it I thought, "That's silly - there aren't any nuts on that keyboard" - then I realized that he was joking about "operator error".

"Did I only think that or did I say it out loud?" is a line I stole from Homer Simpson:

“Well, time to go to work.” – Homer says.

“Little do they know, I’m ducking out early to take the Duff Brewery tour.” – Homer thinks.

“Roll in at nine, punch out at five, that’s the plan.” – Homer says.

“Heh heh heh, they don’t suspect a thing … Well, off to the plant!” – Homer thinks.

“Then to the Duff Brewery.” – Homer says.

“Uh-oh, did I say that or just think it?” – Homer thinks.

“I gotta think of a lie fast.” – Homer says.

“Homer, are you going to the Duff Brewery?” – Marge Simpson

Thank you for explaining yourself. I was definitely NOT in the mood to be teased or toyed with, I was very serious and was curious if there was a solution to my predicament. I still am, because I'm still having the problem.

Thank you for explaining yourself. I was definitely NOT in the mood to be teased or toyed with, I was very serious and was curious if there was a solution to my predicament. I still am, because I'm still having the problem.
    Did you try my suggestion?

Did you try my suggestion?
    It's a good one. I haven't had that problem on a forum in years, but I figured out back then that that was how to fix it.

https://youtu.be/0hiUuL5uTKc

Life goes on.

Yep, it's the weirdest thing. My computer had updated and needed a reboot for weeks, so I chalked it up to that. So tonight I went ahead and did the reboot, and when it does this and installs updates it automatically clears the cache. And that's why I KNOW it's not my computer OR the keyboard (or ME, as Jim suggested). It doesn't happen anywhere else.
    Some browsers work better than others. As an alternative, you can compose with a text editor and paste it to post.

"Go Advanced" doesn't change anything for me.
    However - and I'm testing this right now - I might have found a solution at least for IE. I haven't had a chance to check FF or Chrome yet; but there must be similar settings.

Go to your browser settings menu and select "Compatibility View Settings"; then add Findadeath.com to the compatibility view.

I've just typed all of this post as a quick reply and without toggling the editor mode; no errors and no problems.
    Last edited by JimC; 11-27-2016 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added "browser".

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    "Go Advanced" doesn't change anything for me.
    However - and I'm testing this right now - I might have found a solution at least for IE. I haven't had a chance to check FF or Chrome yet; but there must be similar settings.

Go to your browser settings menu and select "Compatibility View Settings"; then add Findadeath.com to the compatibility view.

I've just typed all of this post as a quick reply and without toggling the editor mode; no errors and no problems.
    I have Chrome and I don't see those settings. Although I was able to type this without going to "go advanced". That's a first in weeks. Weird.

I have Chrome and I don't see those settings. Although I was able to type this without going to "go advanced". That's a first in weeks. Weird.
    It seems that there is a Chrome extension called "IE Tab" that will essentially run IE from within Chrome should you need to adjust compatibility view for specific sites\IP's. I downloaded it but haven't tried it yet; my issue seems to be resolved at this point.

Nick likely read this thread and fixed any behind the scenes issues that my have been the cause. VB is a funky monkey that slips on a banana peel once in awhile.

Life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Nick likely read this thread and fixed any behind the scenes issues that my have been the cause. VB is a funky monkey that slips on a banana peel once in awhile.
    So I've noticed. Have the same problem on another forum.