Thread: Tammy Grimes . . 1934 - 2016

Tammy Grimes . . 1934 - 2016

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grimes_Tammy.4486.C3.24.DH_1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	53970

NEW YORK TIMES -

Tammy Grimes, the throaty actress and singer who conquered Broadway at the age of 26, winning a Tony Award for her performance in ??The Unsinkable Molly Brown,? and went on to a distinguished stage career, died on Sunday in Englewood, N.J. She was 82.

The death was confirmed by Duncan MacArthur, her nephew.

Ms. Grimes was largely unknown in 1960 when she was cast as Molly, the rags-to-riches turn-of-the-century socialite-philanthropist who survived the sinking of the Titanic. The show??s producers, who clearly considered the music and lyrics by Meredith Willson more marketable than their female lead, declined to put her name above the title, which meant that (because of the Tony regulations of the time) she could be nominated only in the featured-actress category.

Her second Tony, for a 1969 revival of Noël Coward??s ??Private Lives,? was decidedly for lead actress. Clive Barnes, writing in The New York Times, called Ms. Grimes??s interpretation of her character, the reluctant 1930s divorcée Amanda Prynne, ??outrageously appealing? and ??so ridiculously artificial that she just has to be for real.?

Coward was a major influence on Ms. Grimes??s career. In 1958, he saw her performing at the Manhattan nightclub Downstairs at the Upstairs and cast her as the lead in ??Look After Lulu,? a new comedy he had adapted from a Feydeau farce. In 1964 she appeared in ??High Spirits,? a musical version of Coward??s ??Blithe Spirit? (directed but not written by Coward), playing the ghost of the leading man??s first wife. The cast included Beatrice Lillie as a medium trying to summon her and Edward Woodward as the husband. It was one of more than a dozen Broadway productions in which Ms. Grimes starred.

Her mop of blond-red hair, a pointed chin, a wide mouth and a ski-slope nose that was often compared to Bob Hope??s gave her a distinctive look.

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Once married to Christopher Plummer, and mother of Amanda Plummer. 82 is a pretty good stretch... RIP
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

She was the original choice to play Samantha Stevens on Bewitched. Have no idea why she didn't get the part. Perhaps Broadway obligations. A very talented actress. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by bulletnose View Post
    She was the original choice to play Samantha Stevens on Bewitched. Have no idea why she didn't get the part. Perhaps Broadway obligations. A very talented actress. RIP
    Oh wow, never heard that before. Probably best, I definitely had a crush on Elizabeth Montgomery.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

I loved her, like other I always thought she was British born.....Tammy Lee Grimes was born in Lynn, Mass., on Jan. 30, 1934, the second of three children of Luther Nichols Grimes, who managed the Country Club in Brookline, Mass., and the former Eola Willard Niles. Many fans believed Ms. Grimes was British, partly because of her Mid-Atlantic accent, which she attributed to a finishing-school education.
    Last edited by Drew; 11-17-2016 at 03:01 PM.